Taylor #1; P!nk #7; Demi #61: 2017 Best Selling Albums (US)

FanOfPop

1 hour ago, glass eye said:

With the direction it's going in streams will become the main factor.

I disagree with weighing streams higher than pure sales because when it comes to streaming vs pure sales, streaming obviously garners a different audience than people who contribute to the digital sales market.

I also disagree with it b/c streaming websites seem to have a low userbase per country (its like what 1/300 of Americans use services like Spotify? Correct me if im wrong) so it can skew the perception of what the average consumer's preferences are if such a low userbase is making songs go to top 10 easier if most Americans are not actively listening to it.

However sales are quite bad in this country enough to severely affect the influence of songs going in the top 5 even when its SPS. That's why a lot of songs feel like non-events these days tbh. I'm conflicted.

I understand but to have a more accurate conversation, we have to compare the yearly total SPS numbers to an older year's total sales. Right now people just use the streaming, that's a fact. 

I get what you're saying for example, Drake's Views doesn't feel like a 5x Platinum 10+ week #1 smash blockbuster. Its movement is actually dead but still charting in top 20. Or The Chainsmoker's 700k~ SPS for their Collage EP is total bull****

but contrary, The Weeknd's Starboy doesn't feel like an album that's only sold 400k. 

We're in a transition phase, that's why we can't really have a great formula i guess... And it's the best to not play with the formula a lot.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FanOfPop

• blackbeatxx

• DELE2125

• myfirstlove

1 minute ago, Tremor Christ said:

I understand but to have a more accurate conversation, we have to compare the yearly total SPS numbers to an older year's total sales. Right now people just use the streaming, that's a fact. 

I get what you're saying for example, Drake's Views doesn't feel like a 5x Platinum 10+ week #1 smash blockbuster. Its movement is actually dead but still charting in top 20. Or The Chainsmoker's 700k~ SPS for their Collage EP is total bull****

but contrary, The Weeknd's Starboy doesn't feel like an album that's only sold 400k. 

We're in a transition phase, that's why we can't really have a great formula i guess... And it's the best to not play with the formula a lot.

I suspect it to be better in the 2020's. We'll just have to wait unfortunately

1 hour ago, glass eye said:

I suspect it to be better in the 2020's. We'll just have to wait unfortunately

Definitively. And remind you, there are lots of OVER-certified albums from the past, or bugs on the charts.

smashes like don't speak, into the groove couldn't enter the charts, for example.

16 minutes ago, Tremor Christ said:

Definitively. And remind you, there are lots of OVER-certified albums from the past, or bugs on the charts.

smashes like don't speak, into the groove couldn't enter the charts, for example.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons of the low sales problem is b/c the GP is generally suspicious and hyper-critical of the music industry. A lot of people have been tearing into the asses of pop stars and criticizing them since the past decade and it's only gotten worse. I guess it factors why relatable girl/boy next door artists have become more and more popular since they seem more "authentic" to the GP.

Edited by glass eye

34 minutes ago, glass eye said:

I'm wondering if one of the reasons of the low sales problem is b/c the GP is generally suspicious and hyper-critical of the music industry. A lot of people have been tearing into the asses of pop stars and criticizing them since the past decade and it's only gotten worse. I guess it factors why relatable girl/boy next door artists have become more and more popular since they seem more "authentic" to the GP.

Pop and Country tend to sell more in sales units. Hip hop and EDM do well in streaming.

I think it has a lot to do with the audience. Streaming is huge but not with every genre.

"The Fame" is at 4 725 000 sales.

"Guardians Of The Galaxy: Vol. 1" soundtrack is now past 1 700 000 sales.

"4 Your Eyez Only" and "Suicide Squard" surpassed 500 000 sales.

"Blue and Lonesome" surpassed 300 000 sales.

All from UKMix.

38 minutes ago, myfirstlove said:

are you updating anytime soon? Grammy sales have been out for two days 

I'm waiting for sales to be posted on UKMix (for the whole Top 200 albums - sales) and then I'll update. Monday-Tuesday probably. Tuesday more likely.

51 minutes ago, myfirstlove said:

are you updating anytime soon? Grammy sales have been out for two days 

No, official chart came out today and we have no sales numbers other than most of top 10 so far

Edited by blackbeatxx

Joanne best selling female album :clap3:

On 2/14/2017 at 5:48 AM, Tremor Christ said:

I'm dead at the possibility of no-1M selling album this year. Even 500k is rare :rip:

Ed, Taylor and Eminem (if he releases this year) will all do over 1M in total sales this year.

Wow, The Fame is eligible for 5X Plat on pure sale shipments alone :clap3:

53 minutes ago, Cryptique said:

@FanOfPop when are you updating this amazing thread of yours??

I jut got home form school. I'm gonna go updating, not sure if it's done today, tomorrow is more possible. And thank you. :date:

I'm halfway through. My school started today som I'm not gonna be able to update every Monday as I was used to, but I'm gonna try till Tuesdays-Wednesdays.

Updated OP, finally. We've got some major movements through this week. "24K Magic" has finally surpassed "Moana" soundtrack and is now #2. Maybe Bruno could overtake the chart till Ed release but it'll be close. After "Divide" we all know who's gonna be #1 for a long time. Also, "Joanne" is #6, "Lemonade" #12 and "25" #14. Pretty good I think. Also, "The Fame" enters Top 50 and is now at #46. Congratz!

14. Adele – 25: 70 440 sales

Flop, she's over.

4 minutes ago, UnusualBoy said:

14. Adele – 25: 70 440 sales

Flop, she's over.

i hope this is sarcasm ctfu 

3 minutes ago, myfirstlove said:

It is lol

4 minutes ago, myfirstlove said:

It sure is, I stan her lol.

70. Adele – 21: 22 540 sales ( + 5)

the album that never stops selling :alexz: 

On 22/02/2017 at 5:09 AM, FanOfPop said:

Updated OP, finally. We've got some major movements through this week. "24K Magic" has finally surpassed "Moana" soundtrack and is now #2. Maybe Bruno could overtake the chart till Ed release but it'll be close. After "Divide" we all know who's gonna be #1 for a long time. Also, "Joanne" is #6, "Lemonade" #12 and "25" #14. Pretty good I think. Also, "The Fame" enters Top 50 and is now at #46. Congratz!

:clap3: good work .. keep it up.. :clap3: why don't you have the SPS list tho??

yay at gaga hitting top5? and 100kmark when numbers come in..

the sales in general is :rip:

1 hour ago, Cryptique said:

:clap3: good work .. keep it up.. :clap3: why don't you have the SPS list tho??

yay at gaga hitting top5? and 100kmark when numbers come in..

the sales in general is :rip:

I don't use SPS, because I don't like it like sales. Sales are always goog for me. And thank you! :) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.