Albums with the most Top 10 singles in the UK

Green

The albums that spawned the most Top 10 singles (UK)

To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Official Albums Chart, we look back at the albums that have made the biggest contribution to the Top 10 of the singles chart. Who's been sending the most hits to challenge for the Number 1? The answer may surprise you…

10 Top 10 singles

In March 2017, the unthinkable happened. Not only did Ed Sheeran's ÷ dominate on the Official Albums Chart - becoming the third fastest-selling album ever and fastest-selling vinyl product in over 20 years - but the album's entire roster of tracks stormed the Official Singles Chart.

Surpassing Calvin Harris' previous record (more on that below), the following Ed songs from ÷ have hit the Top 10: Shape of You (1), Castle on the Hill (2), How Would You Feel (2), Galway Girl (2), Perfect (4), New Man (5), Happier (6), Dive (8), Supermarket Flowers (9) and What Do I Know (10).

9 Top 10 singles

DJ and producer and Instagram fave Calvin Harris, whose 2012 chart-topper 18 Months scored a whopping NINE Top 10s: Bounce, feat. Kelis (2); Feel So Close (2); We Found Love, with Rihanna (1); Let's Go feat. Ne-Yo (2), We'll Be Coming Back, feat. Example (2); Sweet Nothing, with Florence Welch (1), I Need Your Love, with Ellie Goulding (4), Drinking From The Bottle, feat. Tinie Tempah (5) and Thinking About You, feat. Ayah Marar (8). PHEW.

8 Top 10 singles

Two albums can claim the 'octopus tentacles' honour – we're not sure that's going to catch on, tbh – and they're pretty recent too.

First up is Jess Glynne's debut I Cry When I Laugh, which topped the charts in 2015. The album contains a whopping 8 Top 10s, starting with Jess's first ever Number 1, and million-seller, Rather Be, with Clean Bandit, and ending with Take Me Home, which reached Number 6 in late 2015. The album contains five Number 1s, which is kind of a UK chart record – Jess isn't lead artist on all of them, though. The most Number 1s off an album all by the same artist? Westlife's self-titled debut album, which features five chart toppers. Impressive! 

Also claiming eight Top 10s from an album is French twiddler of knobs and spinner of disques David Guetta. The repack of his Nothing But The Beat album included million-selling Titanium with Sia, plus seven other Top 10s collaborating with the likes of Usher, Nicki Minaj and Akon. If you think that's cheating, the original version of the LP still featured six Top 10s, so it's still well worth a mention. Allez-y, Dave!

7 Top 10 singles

OK, now it's time to get our torches out and wade a little a bit deeper into the archives. The King of Pop himself Michael Jackson has two albums which have both been the proud parents of seven Top 10s each.

Bad (1987) counts its title track, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Smooth Criminal among its iconic clutch of Top 10s.

Dangerous (1991) has its fair share of classics too – Black Or White, In The Closet, Heal The World to name just three. Shamone!

Finally, we make way for a leading lady with loads of Top 10s under her belt. Our highest international female artist on the countdown is girl-kisser and dark horse Katy Perry. Her 2012 reissue of Teenage Dream contained seven Top 10s, kicking off with the 2010 Number 1 California Gurls and rounding off with 2012's Wide Awake.

Coincidentally, Michael Jackson's Bad and Katy's Teenage Dream are the only albums in US chart history to each score five Number 1s on the Billboard Hot 100.

And before you know it we're back hopping over the channel to say bonjour to our old ami David Guetta once more. He's back again with yet another hit-packed album. One More Love, an extended version of his breakthrough hit album One Love, features seven top 10s credited to David as an artist, including When Love Takes Over, with Kelly Rowland and Who's That Chick, with Rihanna.

6 Top 10 singles

There are a few albums scoring six Top 10s, with deluxe releases or reissues helping albums rack up more hits.

One album that saw six songs hit the top flight from one release was Take That's Everything Changes, from 1993. Four of those six Top 10s were Number 1s btw: Pray, Relight My Fire, Babe and the title track. And as if all that success wasn't enough, Take That actually hold the record for the group with the most Top 10s off one album. Yep, not even the Beatles can match that one (for a variety of reasons, of course).

The next album to achieve this feat was George Michael's Older, his third studio album released in 1996. Featuring two Number 1s Jesus To A Child and Fast Love, the album also spawned another four singles that hit the Top 3: Spinning The Wheel, double a-side Older/I Can't Make You Love Me, Star People '97 and You Have Been Loved.

Jessie J also scored six Top 10s off her debut Who You Are: Do It Like a Dude (2), Price Tag (1), Who You Are (8), Nobody’s Perfect (9), Domino (1), Laserlight (5). 

If you include the 2010 reissue The Fame Monster, which was sold as part of the original album in the UK, Lady Gaga has a half-dozen of absolute bangers thanks to her debut album The Fame. Six Top 10s, of which four went Number 1 and two of those, Poker Face and Bad Romance, are million-sellers – that's quite an achievement.

Emeli Sandé's Our Version Of Events, which was the top-selling album of 2012, also has six Top 10s to call its own. Heaven (2), Next To Me (2), Read All About It Pt 3 (3), Clown (4) and – from the subsequent reissue – Beneath Your Beautiful, with Labrinth (1) and Wonder, with Naughty Boy (10).

Finally, Sam Smith's our most recent act to notch up six Top 10s from an album, also from his debut. In The Lonely Hour, which was the only album to sell over a million on both sides of the Atlantic in 2014, has spawned La La La, with Naughty Boy (1), Money On My Mind (1), Stay With Me (1), I'm Not The Only One (3), Like I Can (9) and Lay Me Down ft. John Legend (1), which was added to the reissue.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-albums-that-spawned-the-most-top-10-singles__15388/

Edited by Green

In US I know Janet's Rhythm Nation is really high up there I was hoping to see her here too

1 hour ago, Green said:

Our highest international female artist on the countdown is girl-kisser and dark horse Katy Perry

The description :deadbanana2: 

4 minutes ago, RomanNavy said:

I get happier about Brexit every day tbh

Ihy

tumblr_nom1wv9uIK1sa8nszo1_250_zpsaknv7d

Anyway I didn't realise he took the whole top 10 tf

8 hours ago, Green said:

Jessie J also scored six Top 10s off her debut Who You Are: Do It Like a Dude (2), Price Tag (1), Who You Are (8), Nobody’s Perfect (9), Domino (1), Laserlight (5). 

C1AWCi7.gif

The article writer, obviously, seeing as how he points out the loads of features:

feat. Kelis (2); with Rihanna (1); feat. Ne-Yo (2), feat. Example (2); with Florence Welch (1) with Ellie Goulding (4), feat. Tinie Tempah (5) and  feat. Ayah Marar (8). PHEW.

with Clean Bandit. Jess isn't lead artist on all of them, though. 

with Sia, plus seven other Top 10s collaborating with the likes of Usher, Nicki Minaj and Akon. 

Stay pressed tho.

7 hours ago, LeonaLewisThunder said:

Spirit had like 6 tho?

5, BITT and FPITS were double A side so they're counted as 1.

One album that saw six songs hit the top flight from one release was Take That's Everything Changes, from 1993. Four of those six Top 10s were Number 1s btw: Pray, Relight My Fire, Babe and the title track. And as if all that success wasn't enough, Take That actually hold the record for the group with the most Top 10s off one album. Yep, not even the Beatles can match that one (for a variety of reasons, of course).

My favs. :clap3:

Jessie,MJ and Katy :clap3: 

Kings Westlife (playing CTC atm):jonny: 

Streaming is the pits honestly. Single records are becoming even less admirable.

Our highest international female artist on the countdown is girl-kisser and dark horse Katy Perry. Her 2012 reissue of Teenage Dream contained seven Top 10s, kicking off with the 2010 Number 1 California Gurls and rounding off with 2012's Wide Awake.

katy-perry-super-bowl-gif-2.gif

On 3/11/2017 at 7:31 AM, RomanNavy said:

I get happier about Brexit every day tbh

!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_nom1wv9uIK1sa8nszo1_250_zpsaknv7d

15 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

The article writer, obviously, seeing as how he points out the loads of features:

feat. Kelis (2); with Rihanna (1); feat. Ne-Yo (2), feat. Example (2); with Florence Welch (1) with Ellie Goulding (4), feat. Tinie Tempah (5) and  feat. Ayah Marar (8). PHEW.

with Clean Bandit. Jess isn't lead artist on all of them, though. 

with Sia, plus seven other Top 10s collaborating with the likes of Usher, Nicki Minaj and Akon. 

Stay pressed tho.

Calvin is a producer. Of course he'll have features. :deadbanana2:

18 minutes ago, SebaMonster said:

Calvin is a producer. Of course he'll have features. :deadbanana2:

Don't try to speak sense, they just don't get it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.