Tori Amos I Christmastide Dec. 4th!

MattyTacos

How do y'all rank her albums?

For me:

- Boys For Pele (Her most insane project, so many of her best songs; Hey Jupiter, Not The Red Baron, Caught A Lite Sneeze, Twinkle, Beauty Queen / Horses, the whole album tbh)

- Under The Pink (I'm kinda mixed on putting this here, but it's such a beautiful album, something about it feels so defined & poised, the cover is so fitting)

- From The Choirgirl Hotel (I love this album but I kinda get lost from Playboy Mommy beyond)

- Little Earthquakes (This album has so many grand memories, when I first started listening to her in high school she was like a savior & this was the album I was blessed with)

- Scarlet's Walk (I loved the concept album, the more laid-back vibe of it, it really takes you on a journey, although I hate to admit I'm still trying to get into the title track/Virginia, Wanpum Prayer is a classic tho)

-  To Venus And Back (This one feels so underrated but some of the tracks are so jarring that I haven't even fully dipped my toe into it besides time from time, Bliss, Spring Haze, & 1000 Oceans are such standouts. I'll spend some time with this one when I can really process it)

- Native Invader (Actually...REALLY liked this album, only since it feels the closest to Tori since maybe Scarlet's Walk and I even get 90s vibe, also I got to experience this release & it was awesome. I just wish I could've gone to a M&G/concert, maybe in the future tho)

- Abnormally Attracted To Sin (I honestly...really liked this one, a couple duds sure and not a Tori album I would SPRINT to but she has some kind of theme going on & a couple really good tracks)/Strange Little Girls (Honestly I haven't listened in full cause it's just covers, but the ones I heard were amazing so I'll definitely have to listen in full)

- The Beekeeper (Feels like a bad Scarlet's Walk but also serves rose garden party so, not bad)

- American Doll Posse (I mean it has a few good songs but DAMN THAT COVER)

Haven't heard the rest.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wyvern

• Bloodflowers.

• MattyTacos

• Penny.

I've been getting into her music for about month now. I love Cornflake Girl and Silent All These Years :jonny5:

Also it is pretty amazing knowing backstory of Cornflake Girl, she was inspired to write that song because of female genital mutalation!

10 hours ago, tombiz said:

Matty, if it's possible, you should change the tag; it's currently listed as "base talk" instead of "fan base".

I officially changed it! We're a fan base now y'all :jamming: 

10 hours ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

I've been getting into her music for about month now. I love Cornflake Girl and Silent All These Years :jonny5:

Also it is pretty amazing knowing backstory of Cornflake Girl, she was inspired to write that song because of female genital mutalation!

Yesss, I could give you some recs, are those the only two you heard? Also that story of CFG always shocks me cause I interpret it as losing a friend in high school & getting into cliques. 

3 hours ago, Penny. said:

one of my favorites

I haven't heard this before :eek: It's really good, I love the way she says vanilllla. 

the randomness of this song. i heard an interview once where she explained that atlantic wanted this as the lead for pele but without the harpsichord. she was not okay with that and forgot about the song over the years. then she released it years later on "a piano".

the lyrics are, um...well..but musically it's quite interesting and her vocals are fire like they used to be back in the day

40 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

Yesss, I could give you some recs, are those the only two you heard? Also that story of CFG always shocks me cause I interpret it as losing a friend in high school & getting into cliques. 

Yes, but I am slowly getting into her discographies, just like with other 90s alternative girls!

26 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

Yes, but I am slowly getting into her discographies, just like with other 90s alternative girls!

By "90s alt girls" you mean the Lilith Fair movement? I absolutely love them all. Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Paula Cole, Natalie Merchant and so many others...

J2waHsT.gif

1 hour ago, MattyTacos said:

I officially changed it! We're a fan base now y'all :jamming:

:party:

1 hour ago, ontherocks said:

the randomness of this song. i heard an interview once where she explained that atlantic wanted this as the lead for pele but without the harpsichord. she was not okay with that and forgot about the song over the years. then she released it years later on "a piano".

the lyrics are, um...well..but musically it's quite interesting and her vocals are fire like they used to be back in the day

Wow I kinda glossed over this on my first listen, it's very odd but makes you attentive & keeps you focused with the instruments. I really liked the outro too, her talking voice is so cute.

1 hour ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

51 minutes ago, tombiz said:

By "90s alt girls" you mean the Lilith Fair movement? I absolutely love them all. Sarah McLachlan, Jewel, Paula Cole, Natalie Merchant and so many others...

J2waHsT.gif

:party:

I assumed he meant Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Alanis Morissette kinda group. Maybe it's just me cause I love everyone but Regina (like her, haven't listened tons). 

1 hour ago, SpaceOddity said:

A GODDESS. 

Preach the gopsel of Tori :clap3:

2 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

Wow I kinda glossed over this on my first listen, it's very odd but makes you attentive & keeps you focused with the instruments. I really liked the outro too, her talking voice is so cute.

i mean, she couldn't have been more eccentric than this. the whole album is just a weird trip and probably my fave along with ftch. i have read interviews how her label reacted to this and i am really happy that she managed to turn it into a success.

AMOS: Oh my God, it was played in New York and I don’t sit in during the listening sessions, so I was just out to dinner, but not partying or anything, and I walk in and say hi to everybody and it was being played in the recording studio in New York and Mark and Marcel were there in the control room. My God, I’ve never met such frosty reception in my life! [Laughs] I guess I had a frosty reception once with (former band) Y Kant Tori Read. I have had rough receptions, but I just was not expecting the look on people’s faces. I can’t even tell you what it was like. It was really just vicious, the most shocking, awful things you could hear from people. Only the classical music department got it.

STEREOGUM: Did you have to fight to release it the way that you wanted it or did they want you to go back in the studio and cut a few more hit singles or something?

AMOS: By that time, the discussions had already happened. That album was already coming out. I had been warned. I had been warned. But the champion of this record was the legendary Bob Ludwig who mastered it, and he did the remaster. He looked at me and said: “This is the record of your career.” He said that other artists have done this in their career, sometimes later and not on their third record or this early, but it’s respected. It’s raw. He came to understand that about it.

1 hour ago, MattyTacos said:

I assumed he meant Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Alanis Morissette kinda group. Maybe it's just me cause I love everyone but Regina (like her, haven't listened tons). 

Preach the gopsel of Tori :clap3:

I'd group Fiona and Alanis alongside them too. Kate is a bit older and Regina a bit newer to the scene, so I wouldn't consider them part of the bunch, but I love them too. I clearly have a weakness for female singer-songwriters.

J2waHsT.gif

2 hours ago, ontherocks said:

i mean, she couldn't have been more eccentric than this. the whole album is just a weird trip and probably my fave along with ftch. i have read interviews how her label reacted to this and i am really happy that she managed to turn it into a success.

Wow! I have to search for some more interviews about/surrounding Boys For Pele. It's one of the most oddly crafted albums I've ever hard and is so peculiarly, weirdly inspired and I absolutely love/get turned off by it. I'm glad her/Ludwig got to put this project out.

1 hour ago, tombiz said:

I'd group Fiona and Alanis alongside them too. Kate is a bit older and Regina a bit newer to the scene, so I wouldn't consider them part of the bunch, but I love them too. I clearly have a weakness for female singer-songwriters.

J2waHsT.gif

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Female singer-songwriters of the 90s-ish are the BEST though. The most introspective, raw, & feminist time period.

J2waHsT.gif

On 9/24/2018 at 3:48 AM, ThoMF said:

Which is your Under the Pink trinity?

Pretty Good Year - Yes, Anastasia - Icicle (+ The Waitress)

Your taste. :jonny:

I've been getting into her discography since earlier this year, I'm playing everything until FTCH so much though I don't wanna move on yet. :jonny2:

Little Earthquakes is still my favorite and one of the best albums of all time for me I think. :jonny5:

35 minutes ago, Tasty said:

I've been getting into her discography since earlier this year, I'm playing everything until FTCH so much though I don't wanna move on yet. :jonny2:

Little Earthquakes is still my favorite and one of the best albums of all time for me I think. :jonny5:

dont worry, youre not missing out on much tbh

To Venus & Back is her last truly solid album sadly

her 90s disco >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have to disagree. SW and SLG are awesome,Venus wasn't even that good. The production on SLG is really amazing. It just ended brutally with the The Beeekeeper and went straight to soccer mom hell from then on. Probably one of the sharpest declines for female artists.

Her last two albums seem to have been better. At least when her daughter is not singing. 

Edited by ontherocks
48 minutes ago, Tasty said:

Thanks! :heart2:

Wow, I'm happy this thread is really happening. I don't know anyone outside here who knows Tori (Or they just know her as the "Cornflake Girl" :rip:)

Now I can rant about her stupid artistic decisions and inconsistency, while loving her. Yes, I'm talking about all she did after Scarlet's Walk.

So, how did you find about her?

I remember listening to other artist in Spotify and Youtube, and keep getting this red-haired girl sitting in a piano as a recommendation.

"Silent All These Years" was my first song. I felt in love with it; it was different, and weird. And since, I can't stop listening to her music.

Edited by ThoMF
47 minutes ago, Tasty said:

Everything beyond is ranges from really good (Venus, SW, SLG) to decent/unlistenable (her later albums). So I'd just give it a spin then return to her 7-8 masterpieces.

3 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

I have to disagree. SW and SLG are awesome, the production on SLG is really amazing. It just ended brutally with the The Beeekeeper and went straight to soccer mom hell from then on. Probably one of the sharpest declines for female artists.

Her last two albums seem to have been better. At least when her daughter is not singing. 

Another SW fan!!! Amber Waves-A Sorta Fairytale-Wednesday-Strange is that PUNCH. I don't really remember Beekeeper, but besides a few tracks I don't really want to relisten. But yeah, she hit such a huge muddled patch, but I forgive her for all the amazing albums we got. 7-8 albums full of amazing/good music is fine, that's a whole career right there

1 minute ago, MattyTacos said:

Everything beyond is ranges from really good (Venus, SW, SLG) to decent/unlistenable (her later albums). So I'd just give it a spin then return to her 7-8 masterpieces.

Another SW fan!!! Amber Waves-A Sorta Fairytale-Wednesday-Strange is that PUNCH. I don't really remember Beekeeper, but besides a few tracks I don't really want to relisten. But yeah, she hit such a huge muddled patch, but I forgive her for all the amazing albums we got. 7-8 albums full of amazing/good music is fine, that's a whole career right there

The moment I saw the video for Sleeps With Butterflies I knew she lost it. She was gone. And when she declared herself a milf just two years later, good god, her menopause was ruthless to her. 

10 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

I have to disagree. SW and SLG are awesome,Venus wasn't even that good. The production on SLG is really amazing. It just ended brutally with the The Beeekeeper and went straight to soccer mom hell from then on. Probably one of the sharpest declines for female artists.

slg had some good covers but most were not tbh

sw has some good songs but it doesnt even compare to her 90s albums

venus has 1000 oceans, concertina, bliss & live recordings so it wins

1 minute ago, Penny. said:

slg had some good covers but most were not tbh

sw has some good songs but it doesnt even compare to her 90s albums

venus has 1000 oceans, concertina, bliss & live recordings so it wins

1000 Oceans was the first appereance of Fori (Fake Tori, like her fans started calling her after The Beekeper and started wondering when the first signs of Fori appeared.) 1000 Oceans was the first truly awful song she recorded. Celine Dion could have sang it :rip: