Tori Amos I Christmastide Dec. 4th!

MattyTacos

BusNDvm.jpg?1

Tori Amos (born Myra Ellen Amos, August 22, 1963) is an American singer-songwriter, pianist and composer. She is a classically trained musician with a mezzo-soprano vocal range.

Having already begun composing instrumental pieces on piano, Amos won a full scholarship to the Peabody Institute at Johns Hopkins University at the age of five, the youngest person ever to have been admitted. She was expelled at the age of eleven for what Rolling Stone described as "musical insubordination." Amos was the lead singer of the short-lived 1980s pop group Y Kant Tori Read before achieving her breakthrough as a solo artist in the early 1990s. Her songs focus on a broad range of topics, including sexuality, feminism, politics and religion.

Discography
VtIhZMm.jpg?1hqSxbII.jpg?14gQnCoH.jpg?1
E03Wlwr.jpg?106EFS0Z.jpg?1jz6m8lt.jpg?1
PKMI7ib.jpg?14UYGWEy.jpg?14MSzqPH.jpg?1
6Zgkcwh.jpg?15HL7DPs.jpg?1qHZPYka.jpg?1
jlmdyVe.jpg?1LLVdapA.jpg?1VyXTwDu.jpg?1
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wyvern

• Bloodflowers.

• MattyTacos

• Penny.

This is the best video of the era too. The scenes with the rat all over her :jonny: The imagery, the symbolism, HER POWER.

one of my favorite albums of all time :heart2:

this along with Boys For Pele, Little Earthquakes & Choirgirl Hotel are all masterpieces

Tori is such an immensely unique talented Queen

Edited by Penny.
11 minutes ago, Penny. said:

this along with Boys For Pele, Little Earthquakes & Choirgirl Hotel are all masterpieces

+ To Venus and Back.

90's Tori material is so good!

Which is your Under the Pink trinity?

Pretty Good Year - Yes, Anastasia - Icicle (+ The Waitress)

Tori really operates in her own universe. I think she's even more of an outsider than other artists like Kate Bush or Bjork. They seem to get a lot of attention from the music press but Tori seems to really be outside of all of it. Any back to the point, Cornflake Girl is amazing. I wish she would have done more uptempos in that vain.

3 hours ago, ThoMF said:

+ To Venus and Back.

yes that is also a great album

90s Tori kinda slays everything tbh

ooh i love all 4 of those

past the mission god the waitress (or honey if we count b sides)

On 9/23/2018 at 8:30 PM, Penny. said:

Woo someone else added Venus, but also I gotta say Scarlet Walk (although 00s) [AMAZING & UNDERRATED] & Abnormally Attracted To Sin (good), and American Doll Posse/Native Invader have a handful of good songs. Her early stuff is the best, she's safe with 6 stellar albums, and a handful of some decent ones imo.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:36 PM, Penny. said:

perfection :'(

One of my favorite songs of hers. This and Sugar. :jonny: 

On 9/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, ontherocks said:

I read that Tori hates The Wrong Band, but I really like it. 

I actually really liked it on my relisten. The outro is the best part, her voice sounds like an angel "instead of just leaving..."

On 9/23/2018 at 8:48 PM, ThoMF said:

+ To Venus and Back.

Under The Pink - Past The Mission > Bells For Her > Space Dog. THIS WAS SO HARD. I changed my answer 6 times. 

I lowkey might try to decide my fave songs for her discographies. She deserves a proper rate but Idk how to do that :deadbanana: 

On 9/23/2018 at 10:21 PM, Mean Trees said:

Tori really operates in her own universe. I think she's even more of an outsider than other artists like Kate Bush or Bjork. They seem to get a lot of attention from the music press but Tori seems to really be outside of all of it. Any back to the point, Cornflake Girl is amazing. I wish she would have done more uptempos in that vain.

Yes this is what I really love about her. She comes in left-side with so much odd, but relatable (to her & listeners) songs that are also outlandish in their own right whether lyrically or vocally. Cornflake is SO good though. That outro alone :jonny: Professional Widow is kinda similar I think, but I love songs like Hey Jupiter & Baker Baker more. 

On 9/24/2018 at 12:52 AM, tombiz said:

One of the few more recent songs I love as much as her older material.

Oo4O61x.gif

I actually never listened to Night of Hunters, or Midwinter Graces, and Unrepentant Geraldines. Should I?

SORRY Y'ALL for the giant post, I assumed no one posted in this thread and felt bad but seeing this love when I checked again was so sweet thanks y'all for posting. Tori's talent deserves to be RECOGNIZED. It's so hard being a Tori stan and barely anyone knows her outside Cornflake Girl/A Sorta Fairytale.

Oo4O61x.gif

Can we start a Tori Amos base so we can rave about this talented fairy queen.

Boys For Pele is one of the best albums of all time, Beauty Queens / Horses punching me out the first time...

Oo4O61x.gif

7 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

Woo someone else added Venus, but also I gotta say Scarlet Walk (although 00s) [AMAZING & UNDERRATED] & Abnormally Attracted To Sin (good), and American Doll Posse/Native Invader have a handful of good songs. Her early stuff is the best, she's safe with 6 stellar albums, and a handful of some decent ones imo.

One of my favorite songs of hers. This and Sugar. :jonny: 

I actually really liked it on my relisten. The outro is the best part, her voice sounds like an angel "instead of just leaving..."

Under The Pink - Past The Mission > Bells For Her > Space Dog. THIS WAS SO HARD. I changed my answer 6 times. 

I lowkey might try to decide my fave songs for her discographies. She deserves a proper rate but Idk how to do that :deadbanana: 

Yes this is what I really love about her. She comes in left-side with so much odd, but relatable (to her & listeners) songs that are also outlandish in their own right whether lyrically or vocally. Cornflake is SO good though. That outro alone :jonny: Professional Widow is kinda similar I think, but I love songs like Hey Jupiter & Baker Baker more. 

I actually never listened to Night of Hunters, or Midwinter Graces, and Unrepentant Geraldines. Should I?

SORRY Y'ALL for the giant post, I assumed no one posted in this thread and felt bad but seeing this love when I checked again was so sweet thanks y'all for posting. Tori's talent deserves to be RECOGNIZED. It's so hard being a Tori stan and barely anyone knows her outside Cornflake Girl/A Sorta Fairytale.

Oo4O61x.gif

I don't really them all that much, TBH. Night of Hunters is the best out of that bunch, IMO. But even that one can't hold a candle to any of her 90's albums. And Tori is, indeed, underrated to the same degree as she is talented. Such a pity. Let's preach her gospel, sis!

Oo4O61x.gif

12 hours ago, MattyTacos said:

Can we start a Tori Amos base so we can rave about this talented fairy queen.

Boys For Pele is one of the best albums of all time, Beauty Queens / Horses punching me out the first time...

Oo4O61x.gif

change the title & make this her base imo

i would post here frequently :heart2:

4 hours ago, Penny. said:

change the title & make this her base imo

i would post here frequently :heart2:

Done! The Amos Reckoning has BEGUN. What should we call ourselves?

Thank you :heart2: 

Honey is kinda hitting me super hard today cause of my failed relationship situation :chick3: 

16 hours ago, tombiz said:

I don't really them all that much, TBH. Night of Hunters is the best out of that bunch, IMO. But even that one can't hold a candle to any of her 90's albums. And Tori is, indeed, underrated to the same degree as she is talented. Such a pity. Let's preach her gospel, sis!

Oo4O61x.gif

ddd, I'll have to check that one out at least, but I'm randomly not hyped to do so? :rip: Welcome to the Tori base though! We can preach about what a wonderful artist she is. 

Y'all FLYING DUTCHMAN >>> Happy Phantom

CAUSE THEY CAN'T SEE

ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE???

Oo4O61x.gif

13 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

Honey is kinda hitting me super hard today cause of my failed relationship situation :chick3: 

ddd, I'll have to check that one out at least, but I'm randomly not hyped to do so? :rip: Welcome to the Tori base though! We can preach about what a wonderful artist she is.

oh wow the OP is gorgeous :smitten:

we could be the little pinksters :eli:

why does her newer stuff have to be so underwhelming & boring :doc:

the 90's must have been such a different time, right?

i mean, that somebody goes to a big rating show like Jools and performs a song like Putting The Damage On (which is amazing of course). This wouldn't happen today.

Edited by ontherocks
3 hours ago, MattyTacos said:

Y'all FLYING DUTCHMAN >>> Happy Phantom

CAUSE THEY CAN'T SEE

ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE???

Oo4O61x.gif

OP is looking great now! ❤️

Oo4O61x.gif

I haven't listened to any of her studio albums but I love listening to her Live at Montreaux double disk and watching her live shows in general. Her covers are also stunning. Currently obsessed with:

I think she was quite funny in this interview :lmao:

and I just noticed that something is missing in the OP

419V56KZ6QL.jpg

Edited by ontherocks
5 hours ago, Penny. said:

oh wow the OP is gorgeous :smitten:

we could be the little pinksters :eli:

why does her newer stuff have to be so underwhelming & boring :doc:

Thank you :hug: I love that name, I was trying to come up with us for us too. Amosettes? Lame tbh.

At least we have at least 80 amazing songs by her :'( I could spend a lifetime trying to decipher them all.

5 hours ago, ontherocks said:

the 90's must have been such a different time, right?

i mean, that somebody goes to a big rating show like Jools and performs a song like Putting The Damage On (which is amazing of course). This wouldn't happen today.

This was such a beautiful performance & a beautiful song. Makes me emotional too since it helps me cope with losing a man. :'( 

2 hours ago, tombiz said:

OP is looking great now! ❤️

Oo4O61x.gif

2 hours ago, mokitsu said:

@MattyTacos you should change the thread tag from Discussion to Fanbase if you can :eli:

oooh let me see if I can. If not I'll contact a mod, who should I ask :skull:

2 hours ago, ontherocks said:

I think she was quite funny in this interview :lmao:

and I just noticed that something is missing in the OP

419V56KZ6QL.jpg

Thank you for sharing this interview, I don't think I've seen her talk before but she's so well spoken, honest, & has such a calm but dominating spirit. I lost it when she started talking about her miscarriage and the girl just carried on. An icon :jonny: 

Also we don't speak about this album here