Reinvention

The Last of Us Part II

Departure

Literally just finished it. I think the overall message from this game is to try to forgive.  The antagonist never gave her story that chance, and Ellie saw herself in the same boat she didn't want to go down that same road. 

I mean that final flashback was important. 

Even if you'll never forgive somebody for something, you should at least try. 

The antagonist and the boy she cared for reminded me of Joel and Ellie.  I think Ellie found peace within herself in not going down that path Abby didn't.

Other than that I felt like the game was good. I had more fun playing this one. I think ND just tried too hard to make a complex plot. A lot goes on in it. If you don't pay attention to every detail, you'll leave this game with more questions than answers. 

Beautiful game though. 

Departure
31 minutes ago, Legendairy said:

I'm trying to avoid this thread ASAP, so busy at work, so little time for TLOU II but I do when I can. I'm at Day 1 Seattle. Uncharted: Lost Legacy really prepared me for the open world choice, so far I LOVE IT. I love Dina SO GODDAMN MUCH.

Hide contents

JOEL DIED, I HAD TO EMOTIONALLY PROCESS THAT.

I hate that Mel bitch, I will cut ha!

I cried and paused the game for 10 minutes. I literally cried and was a wreck. I think that was ND intention. To draw criticism and get a reaction. It worked. 

Marla Singer

I finished it, and wow, the ending just punched me in the stomach...

The ending is harrowing and made me feel so conflicted. The whole scene was done very well, walking out towards the beach with all of Ellie's injuries, hearing the gunfire and battle in the background, then seeing all those people tied up the pillars, and then seeing Abby and how broken she is after everything that's happened... I was hoping Ellie would just let her go, I didn't want them to fight but I knew that they would. I can't even properly articulate how that part made me feel but I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did in those last 15 minutes. Nearly makes the first game look like a Disney movie.

And then Ellie trying to play the guitar, something Joel taught her to do, but no longer being able to because of her fingers and leaving the guitar behind... her pursuit of revenge makes her lose another part of Joel's memory... ugh. :cries:

I loved the game overall, I think they definitely topped the first one. I did have certain issues with how they told the story and it's not perfect, but those things didn't ruin it for me and I appreciate that they really took risks with it. I think people who automatically dismissed the game because of certain plot points that leaked before its release have really missed out on a great game. But I think there a few things that might have affected the experience even for people who did play the game with an open mind:

Leaving the theater confrontation on such a huge cliffhanger, and then starting back on Day 1 as Abby. It makes it hard to get properly invested in playing as Abby and finding out her story because you're tempted to just rush everything until you get back to Day 3 and find out what happens next. And it's a shame because I think Abby's story and gaming segments are fantastic and deserve attention on their own.

I wonder if it would've been better if they did things in chronological order. On the other hand, even if they did it that way, flipping between both Ellie and Abby, I might not have become as attached to Abby's character as I did by playing all her parts in one go, and might not have felt the same way I did in the end.

I have no problem at all with Joel being killed off, but waiting so long to reveal who Abby was may have been a mistake. I can see why they did, because they want you to want revenge for Ellie, and for me personally it didn't affect how I viewed Abby's character, but so many people just don't care by the time Abby's background is revealed. It's hard for me to say because that was the spoiler I had seen before playing it - I wish I hadn't seen the spoiler now because I think this is something that could change your point of view on everything.

Given how brutal the ending is, I'm surprised the game didn't make us kill Joel while playing as Abby. I don't even want to imagine the meltdowns that would've caused because they're bad enough already. :laugh:

I've read a lot of comments along the lines of "He shouldn't have died like that", or that his death should've been something more "heroic" - but he did die as a consequence of what he did to save Ellie in the first game. I don't know what a "good" or "heroic" way to kill him off would have been.

But here's what I did like:

I ended up really liking Abby a lot. Maybe even more than I liked Ellie or Joel. I didn't like her WLF friends that much, but the dynamic and storylines with Abby/Lev/Yara might be my favourite out of both games. I think I read that there wouldn't be a DLC like Left Behind, but I wouldn't mind one revolving around Lev/Yara and the Seraphites.

There are so many incredible moments on Abby's half of the game too: The forest, the bridges between the tall buildings, the descent, the hospital, and the island. Especially the island. Cutting through the WLFs and Scars battling each other, getting on a horse and riding towards and through the burning village... oh wow.

On Ellie's half, I loved the optional exploring on Seattle Day 1, they did a similar chapter to that with Uncharted 4 and it was nice to see that in this game too. Trying to sneak past the WLFs and their dogs at Hillcrest made playing stealth really exciting, it didn't let you get away with waiting in one spot, it just constantly keeps you on your toes and the dogs picking up your scent adds to the challenge.

Marla Singer
On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 AM, budgier said:
  Hide contents

I loved a lot about the ending besides no Dina in the ending scene. With how sad and bleak most of this game is I think the game would have benefited from a silver lining in the end with showing Dina being willing to take Ellie back but don't @ me

Have you seen this theory yet?

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-2-players-spot-tiny-detail-that-presents-massive-implications-for-the-ending/

It makes sense - Ellie looks all cleaned and patched up when she arrives back at the farm so she hasn't just come straight back after Santa Barbara. She doesn't express any kind surprise over the place being empty, and she doesn't stay there for long before leaving, presumably to head back to Jackson.

It's much better than my own dark and twisted theory that Dina and the baby were just figments of Ellie's imagination the whole time and that Dina actually died in Seattle. :shutup:

BinhTran1997

Abby's arc is much more compelling to me :clap3:

budgier
On 7/9/2020 at 1:12 PM, Marla Singer said:

Hide contents

Have you seen this theory yet?

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-2-players-spot-tiny-detail-that-presents-massive-implications-for-the-ending/

It makes sense - Ellie looks all cleaned and patched up when she arrives back at the farm so she hasn't just come straight back after Santa Barbara. She doesn't express any kind surprise over the place being empty, and she doesn't stay there for long before leaving, presumably to head back to Jackson.

It's much better than my own dark and twisted theory that Dina and the baby were just figments of Ellie's imagination the whole time and that Dina actually died in Seattle. :shutup:

Spoiler

Dina's last words were basically telling Ellie she wasn't going to wait around for her and then we see Ellie return to a completely empty house. If ND wanted us to know Dina and Ellie were together at the end wouldn't they have shown us instead of having to read between the lines? :toofunny2:

That being said I do love this theory and I will just blindly believe this to be true. 

As for your dark and twisted theory I did have a lot of doubts how both Dina and Tommy who were gravely injured somehow made it back to the Jackson area :skull:  So maybe it's not entirely off base.

Lucid Dreaming

I'm 2hs (?) into gameplay and

Spoiler

The infected chase scene with Abby was SOMETHING, the fact that i wasn't killed was a miracle.

Also not her turning against Joel and Tommy when they literally saved her, i already hate this puta.

Also

Spoiler

Speaking of Abby, i must say i was confused as to why A) we're controlling her and B) Our first encounter with the infected were with her.

budgier
1 hour ago, Lucid Dreaming said:

Hide contents

The infected chase scene with Abby was SOMETHING, the fact that i wasn't killed was a miracle.

Also not her turning against Joel and Tommy when they literally saved her, i already hate this puta.

Also

Hide contents

Speaking of Abby, i must say i was confused as to why A) we're controlling her and B) Our first encounter with the infected were with her.

Spoiler

I died a lot on that infected chase section just because a couple times I was running around and couldn't figure out where the game wanted me to go :deadbanana4:

Imo Abby should have saved Joel and Tommy rather than the other way around (everything plays out the same once she realizes their identities tho). It helps with her likability by showing she'd save strangers and also explains why Tommy and Joel would immediately trust her with their names.

Lucid Dreaming
1 hour ago, budgier said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I died a lot on that infected chase section just because a couple times I was running around and couldn't figure out where the game wanted me to go :deadbanana4:

Imo Abby should have saved Joel and Tommy rather than the other way around (everything plays out the same once she realizes their identities tho). It helps with her likability by showing she'd save strangers and also explains why Tommy and Joel would immediately trust her with their names.

The taste that you exude posting in this thread combined with the Jodie Comer avi. We love to see it.

Spoiler

And i agree i guess? At the same time i thought it was a ****ty move by her lol.

I need to play more to find what the T is though.

Uknowitbeb

The first one should have been a stand alone game. The ending was perfect. That being said, part 2 is not a bad game, I don’t think a game with a budget and team of the size this game had, could even be a “bad” game. What I don’t like is the sense that this game is “full of itself”. Anytime something goes out of its way to have something “profound” to say, rather just being what it is, I feel like it becomes preachy? Does that make sense? The religious cult was also an interesting narrative choice. Especially since we already had a weird cult like antagonist in the first game, idk why they would tread similar ground again. My main gripe with the story, is how they were practically screaming at the player that Joel made the wrong choice at the end of the last game. Thats a very weird mssg to put out there. Man saves suicidal teen from allowing herself to be murdered, only to be demonized for doing so, b/c there MIGHT have been a chance that her death could have led to a cure????? Yeah **** them for that. All in all, the game was good, but no where near the masterpiece of the first. 

tiagol88
1 hour ago, Uknowitbeb said:

The first one should have been a stand alone game. The ending was perfect. That being said, part 2 is not a bad game, I don’t think a game with a budget and team of the size this game had, could even be a “bad” game. 

Plenty of huge AAA titles with teams much bigger than Naughty Dog are flops and bad. 

Naughty Dog is actually a mid sized team of around 300 people. And the game's budget is actually not as much as you might think. Uncharted 3 costed like 30 million. 

I read an article once about TLOU2 that put it around 50M...if I find the source I'll post it here tho. 

Legendairy
On 7/6/2020 at 9:43 AM, tiagol88 said:

Btw, the game has now 5.2 on user's metacritic. 

Interesting how it was 3, 2 weeks ago. 4 a week ago and now it's 5.2. 

Even though it was the most review-bombed game ever in there...it's climbing its way up.

With the online game coming this year, the HBO show down the line the game will be played and bought a lot...so this is bound to keep increasing.

Everybody switched. LMAO

Legendairy

I played the hell out of TLOUII last Sunday, I think it was my only time actually. SOOO BUSY. ****. And I still didn't even finish it.

The long reach to the ferris wheel

Spoiler

Although I love how dreadful it was getting there, It was pretty anticlimactic to know that Abby wasn't there and all I got was Owen and Mel, I really hated that Mel bitch up until I learned she was preggers, this game really knows how to punch your guts. I really hate it when games do that tbh, all that dread for nothing, but I do love the artistic direction, the erratic waves, the goddamn rain, the boat, getting to the Aquarium, greeted with a shark statue as I break in, phenomenal. 

TLOU ps3 had amazing environments and it pushed the console to its limits, but TLOUII takes it to a whole level, I thought ps4 peaked with either GOW or Uncharted 4, the level design and environments in TLOUII is spectacular in scale and aesthetics, every nook and cranny, wow, everything is extremely desolate, the gloomy ass weather? fantastic, I feel so alone than I ever did in Uncharted 3 which was a long ass hallway of Nate shooting endlessly at enemies during the last parts of the game. 

TLOUII is like the epitome of the term "Kenopsia", I feel so empathatic to every place I've been to, all the life it had, the empty bars, the school dormitories, the suburbs, where did all the people go. This game even has a tattoo shop abandoned, I just can't.

Legendairy
12 hours ago, Uknowitbeb said:

The first one should have been a stand alone game. The ending was perfect. That being said, part 2 is not a bad game, I don’t think a game with a budget and team of the size this game had, could even be a “bad” game. What I don’t like is the sense that this game is “full of itself”. Anytime something goes out of its way to have something “profound” to say, rather just being what it is, I feel like it becomes preachy? Does that make sense? The religious cult was also an interesting narrative choice. Especially since we already had a weird cult like antagonist in the first game, idk why they would tread similar ground again. My main gripe with the story, is how they were practically screaming at the player that Joel made the wrong choice at the end of the last game. Thats a very weird mssg to put out there. Man saves suicidal teen from allowing herself to be murdered, only to be demonized for doing so, b/c there MIGHT have been a chance that her death could have led to a cure????? Yeah **** them for that. All in all, the game was good, but no where near the masterpiece of the first. 

Yeah, I really hated that decision, are we really going in that route? like do I wanna believe Ellie was that mad? Ethics wise it is problematic but for a girl at that age, I don't believe her anger in that scene with Joel hold any weight whatsoever, she's a 14/15 year old nerdy girl that loves comic books and dreams to be an astronaut, jesus christ. I WOULD HAVE been okay with that scene if let's say Ellie was 29 years old and above even at 19 it still doesn't make any sense. If you wanna deliver a message maybe set the game 12 years after TLOUII.

Joel saved you from a small chance at having humanity getting restored, your world is in a pandemic for 20 years or so, it's too late. Enjoy living in Jackson, sis, enjoy that Dina puss. It's not that deep. 

Legendairy

Did any of you change the default settings?

THE GAME IS TOO CINEMATIC that I had to change my settings, I get all Bioshock dizzy, this time it's not the FOD, but at how everything moves. I had readjust the motion blur and added that white dot at the center so I can focus. I even turned on that auto pickup. It gets tedious pressing triangle all the goddamn time, I swear to god. 

tiagol88
22 minutes ago, Legendairy said:

Everybody switched. LMAO

It's now 5.4 btw. In a month it could be at 6, lmao.

Legendairy

I really love Abby's arms tbh.

Spoiler

this game featured an abandoned gym(2 years ago with Joel) and a funtioning gym(the stadium) 

I really miss the gym. :weeps:

Legendairy
On 7/11/2020 at 7:14 PM, Lucid Dreaming said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also

Reveal hidden contents

I love that sequence tbh. Eugh, my heart was rising,

Spoiler

I never expected runners to be that horrifying. 

Legendairy
Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

It's now 5.4 btw. In a month it could be at 6, lmao.

the leaks really did this tbh, so far playing the game, it's really not that bad, I'm at the Ferris section up until 

Spoiler

Abby's dad and the stadium chase sequence

I stopped there temporarily.

The leaks really played a major role why this game got such a bad reputation NOT because of the game's actual contents.I have a close guy friend that's too criticizing about the game's preachyness, he's straight go figure but he's really unaware at how prejudice he is about everything, always using the 3.2 score whenever we talk about it, how gay Ellie is. I had to tell him this game is super important to him cause he has a LGTBQ sister and me, calm down buddy, having a hero like this helps with representation. I can't wait for a few more weeks so the score rises up and I will shove it in his face, Abby style.

edit

All in all the leaks I read last May all checked and mind you the ones I read was just a summary, I didn't check the gameplay footages. What I can completely confirm, it's no Game Of Thrones season 8 situation, GOT8 would still be a bad season regardless of the leaks, TLOUII in a reality it didn’t leak, still a great game.

Edited by Legendairy

budgier
2 hours ago, Legendairy said:

Did any of you change the default settings?

THE GAME IS TOO CINEMATIC that I had to change my settings, I get all Bioshock dizzy, this time it's not the FOD, but at how everything moves. I had readjust the motion blur and added that white dot at the center so I can focus. I even turned on that auto pickup. It gets tedious pressing triangle all the goddamn time, I swear to god. 

Only thing I changed was to turn on auto-pick up and it's a must. I hate spamming triangle to pick up. Now if only there was an option to turn off the controller shaking for the flashlight.

2 hours ago, Legendairy said:

I love that sequence tbh. Eugh, my heart was rising,

Hide contents

I never expected runners to be that horrifying. 

Spoiler

Stalkers freak me out in this game :deadbanana4: The fact that u can't pick them up in listen mode and then just turn a corner and a bit of one hiding behind a desk. **** that 

BNF91

I must be sick in the head or something, but for my 2nd playthrough I've turned off all HUD elements and even removed the aiming dot and reticle for ultra-realism. I did it for HZD's arrows and eventually you get the hang of how to aim properly without a dot. Trying to be as varied with my combat approaches, using everything in my arsenal and moving fast and flanking to create really cinematic combat sequences. Also added the auto-pickup so there's no need to scour each square meter of a room as well as auto-switching weapon (when out of ammo), for maximum immersion. :duca: 

It's hella punishing but getting high and playing with headphones, with no symbols or numbers on the screen makes me feel like I'm there. Just need to resist the urge to drop into photo mode during a crazy sequence and breaking that immersion. Love this game goddamn.

heavyreplover
On 7/12/2020 at 7:26 PM, Uknowitbeb said:

:clap3::alexz:Finally someone said it, I couldn't have said it better, I played TLOU on my PS4 after 3 years and yeah, after watching the whole story it seems like this. I just can't believe how ND fans are saying that 

Spoiler

Joel deserved to die:dies: as if the fireflies were angels or something:toofunny3: Marlene didn't even told the truth to Ellie when she had the chance!

Guess that all the talent from the first title (Bruce Stanley) went into the toilet with Neil's pretencious thought to picture Joel as the bad guy:rip: I will still grab it once it's discounted too, I didn't wait years for nothing:cm:

HabbGaga
On 7/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, Uknowitbeb said:

2 minutes ago, heavyreplover said:

:clap3::alexz:Finally someone said it, I couldn't have said it better, I played TLOU on my PS4 after 3 years and yeah, after watching the whole story it seems like this. I just can't believe how ND fans are saying that 

Reveal hidden contents

Joel deserved to die:dies: as if the fireflies were angels or something:toofunny3: Marlene didn't even told the truth to Ellie when she had the chance!

Guess that all the talent from the first title (Bruce Stanley) went into the toilet with Neil's pretencious thought to picture Joel as the bad guy:rip: I will still grab it once it's discounted too, I didn't wait years for nothing:cm:

I found that hard to swallow. I overlooked it for the sake of the rest of the game, but iirc in the first game Joel is unconscious, he awakes and Ellie is already on the operating table. They didn't even get a chance to discuss it properly, they didn't even let Ellie decide for herself (which I know she would have done it) but it needed to be a much larger discussion.

Abby and her father didn't look that bad off before they knew their could possibly be a cure, it seemed they adapted to this new world, hell Abby and Ellie were born into this world. They didn't know any different. Had they have shown them struggling to eat, struggling to survive etc, their choice to be so aggressive with taking Ellie's life might have been more justified. Yes it could create a vaccine, but as I said it was a much larger discussion and if they had of just allowed Ellie to make up her mind on her own, then their was a possibility she would've done it willingly, and Marlene should have known that, having looked after her.. Then if she refused, they maybe you could've taken force?

I agree with Joel's decision because I know if that was the most important person to me in my life, I would make the exact same choice, especially when they're telling me this is the only way, not letting me talk to the person I love, not even allowing the person you're about to kill decide for themselves, all of this stuff inherently makes the fireflies villains, and I don't know why part 2 was trying to push this narrative like you said that Joel made the wrong choice.

The Abby stuff felt like a DLC. Ellie and Joel are what made The Last of Us imo. They expanded the world I guess, but they didn't rise to the occasion when it comes to matching the brilliance of the first games storytelling even with 7 years of new technology and 7 years of coming up with a worthy sequel.

Lucid Dreaming
Spoiler

I can't believe they killed Joel in like less than two hours into gameplay.

I'm FVCKING GAMED OUT, SHE [ABBY]'S A FVCKING BITCH.

base talk] staying home n a saturday night is so depressing - Base ...

Cottonmouth

NO SPOILERS please

Haven't looked at the comments in this thread as I'm guessing you would be posting spoilers a month after, but how was this game overall?

As someone who believes they have had the whole story spoiled, would I still be satisfied? Did anyone else who also got spoiled before playing, feel they got the perfect experience despite the circumstances?