Billboard Charts (March 5-11, 2017)

alexanderao

9 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

I'm actually not in favour of any recurrent rule. I don't think it is okay to defend some purge line  while tearing apart another. It's all arbitrary.

i believe the problem can be fixed with a better formula. I believe the different components should be providing an equal share, unlike now where the consumption in one component has no upper limit on contributing points. With a balanced sales, radio and streaming system  and none providing over 33% of points, songs thst hang around in one component will have much less influence on the overall charts, causing faster turnover in all areas of the chart.

I agree with you that sales should weigh more heavily as a component of the Hot 100. I wrote about how to reconfigure the formula to achieve these metrics not that long ago. Here it is, and I would update this every six months as needed -- at the beginning of each chart year and at the halfway point of each chart year.

1 download sale = 300 streams

1 download sale = 1,500 audience impressions

1 download sale = 0.05 physical single sales; ring tones; ring back tones; and both digital and physical maxi-single sales

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FutureHive

• brianc33710

• alexanderao

• simmnfierzig

Just now, ChartsFan said:

A song could get 100m AI first week.  All that takes is a change in attitude from the music directors in how they build up songs, and less dependence in prescheduled AirPlay rotations,

but iit is impoisdble to get 400m or more AI in a week to match a hello or Harlam Shake point total from sales or stressing.

I badly want to see the return to the natural growth of airplay based upon the popular growth of songs instead of these radio deals for songs to get a ton of airplay on their first day of release.

Here are two such examples showing how quickly songs can climb the airplay charts without an airplay deal: Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," moved 30-11-2-1, and the Rembrats "I'll Be There For You" moved 21-10-6-1. Had BB released the electronic format airplay charts 18 months earlier, Bryan Adams' " Everything I Do I Do It For You" would also likely reached #1 in four weeks.

Also, any airplay for a song more than 84 plays a week, or every two hours, is overkill for a song. Santana's/Rob Thomas' "Smooth" had the highest spin count of the 2000 Chart Year, maxing out at around 8,800 weekly spins. This allowed a far greater mix of songs from many genres that is impossible when songs like "Shape Of You" gets 20,000 detections at Top 40 alone in an airplay week.

Finally, I would like the labels to return to the practice at the beginning of the digital era when songs were not available for downloads until they were released as a single. I would also highly recommend only releasing one song at a time for streaming. This would both boost album sales and extend the lifespan of albums on the consumption based BB 200 and other the other consumption based genre album charts.

1 hour ago, brianc33616 said:

I badly want to see the return to the natural growth of airplay based upon the popular growth of songs instead of these radio deals for songs to get a ton of airplay on their first day of release.

Here are two such examples showing how quickly songs can climb the airplay charts without an airplay deal: Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," moved 30-11-2-1, and the Rembrats "I'll Be There For You" moved 21-10-6-1. Had BB released the electronic format airplay charts 18 months earlier, Bryan Adams' " Everything I Do I Do It For You" would also likely reached #1 in four weeks.

Also, any airplay for a song more than 84 plays a week, or every two hours, is overkill for a song. Santana's/Rob Thomas' "Smooth" had the highest spin count of the 2000 Chart Year, maxing out at around 8,800 weekly spins. This allowed a far greater mix of songs from many genres that is impossible when songs like "Shape Of You" gets 20,000 detections at Top 40 alone in an airplay week.

Finally, I would like the labels to return to the practice at the beginning of the digital era when songs were not available for downloads until they were released as a single. I would also highly recommend only releasing one song at a time for streaming. This would both boost album sales and extend the lifespan of albums on the consumption based BB 200 and other the other consumption based genre album charts.

I wonder if Mariah had a radio deal or something  cause Dreamlover had a run like this.

21-2-2-1....

I think she charted early because of airplay/sales week difference

Edited by Letters From Adi

With today's update, Ed surpasses "Bad Blood" to have the highest spin peak ever on Published Pop radio (Taylor peaked at 19566, Ed is at 19585 today)

1 hour ago, brianc33616 said:

We're never getting "singles" back as long as SEA exists in its current format.

Repression doesn't work anymore because of piracy 

2 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

Nah...Repression doesn't work with streaming becoming a thing

Enrique tried doing it a couple years ago with "Finally Found You" and it backfired.

If people want to listen to a song they'll just get it illegally...Beyonce has been trying to do that but it hasn't worked for her (maybe Taylor could've done it during 1989 era)

It's weird to think this is literally the lowest Closer has ever been on the Hot 100.

5 hours ago, brianc33616 said:

Radio does play songs more times in a week now, but back then hits had slower burn out rates so they had more longevity on radio therefore evening it out with today.

Of the 13 songs to spend 10+ weeks at #1 on Pop Radio, 4/13 are from the digital era (2005-2017; 12 years), while 9/13 are from before the digital era (1992-2004; 12 years). 

Of the 8 songs that also spent 9 weeks at #1, 7/8 are from before the digital era. Even if you didn't hear a song as much in a week then, you still heard it over a longer period with a slower burn-out rate therefore hearing it basically the same amount overall.

13 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Radio does play songs more in a week now, but back then hits played had slower burn out rates so they had more longevity on radio evening it out.

Of the 13 songs to spend 10+ weeks at #1 on Pop Radio, 4/13 are from the digital era (2005-2017; 12 years), while 9/13 are from before the digital era (1992-2004; 12 years). 

Of the 8 songs that also spent 9 weeks at #1, 7/8 are from before the digital era.

Can you please give me a list?

1 minute ago, mike3009 said:

Can you please give me a list?

Most weeks at number one[edit]

14 weeks

11 weeks

10 weeks

9 weeks

Kodak Black has a top ten song. I give up on all humanity. 

2 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Most weeks at number one[edit]

14 weeks

11 weeks

10 weeks

9 weeks

Closer really is one of the biggest hits of all time. Thank you very much.

TWIL should tops billboard hot 100 at least a week. 

Million Reasons #30 for a third week and still top 10 on Itunes. When it falls out of the top 20 of Itunes, it will be out of Billboard. So unfair :!ohno:

5 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Million Reasons #30 for a third week and still top 10 on Itunes. When it falls out of the top 20 of Itunes, it will be out of Billboard. So unfair :!ohno:

Its current radio airplay alone is enough to keep it on the Hot 100

1 minute ago, NickARTPOP said:

Its current radio airplay alone is enough to keep it on the Hot 100

That's good to hear! If it passes the 25 weeks, it will be her longest single of the chart since Telephone. :dancehall:

1 minute ago, Roberto said:

That's good to hear! If it passes the 25 weeks, it will be her longest single of the chart since Telephone. :dancehall:

Definitely! One chart expert on Gagadaily predicted it will be top 20 again in about a month 

3 minutes ago, NickARTPOP said:

Definitely! One chart expert on Gagadaily predicted it will be top 20 again in about a month 

OMG :eek: Nice! She's coming again:duca: :fan:

1 minute ago, Roberto said:

10 hours ago, Sinister said:

Repression doesn't work anymore because of piracy 

Nah...Repression doesn't work with streaming becoming a thing

Enrique tried doing it a couple years ago with "Finally Found You" and it backfired.

If people want to listen to a song they'll just get it illegally...Beyonce has been trying to do that but it hasn't worked for her (maybe Taylor could've done it during 1989 era)

I consider this model as the ideal model. I doubt we will ever see it again, but it would benefit the albums as the songs. Also, we would stop having 20 album tracks from a single CD debuting on BB in the same week. With the BB RC rules, having these tracks pushing songs below 50 sooner than they actually should results in a premature recurrency.

13 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Just to add one further comment, and then I'll stop beating the dead horse.

the problem with your and the current approach is that it is unfair.  Luckily it's now the digital age, so a song can be like Hello and sell enough copies In a week to be number one, no matter what it does in air or streams.  There was a time when songs were constantly hurt by lack of physical supply in the marketplace, especially on surprise hits.

the  in streaming you can have songs like gangnam style or Harlem Shake that could amass enough points without air or sales.  There's no limits on access.

but it's impossible to do so with radio. There just isn't enough airtime to put a song number one overall with no points from sales or streams.

so why is it okay to have two metrics that can, but one thst can't, simply because it physically can't do it, and still call the system fair?  That is why I think each metric should contribute an equal share.

--** I know the immediate answer would be: it's radio, who cares, but what if it

wasnt radio that was the limited metric, but sales like it had been in the past, or streaming because of some bandwidth limitation. I bet people would not be as quick to defend the system then.

Yeah we remember the virtually airplay-only (90%+) Hot 100s of the early 2000s. That's what happens when one metric has way too much control over the chart.

12 hours ago, Letters From Adi said:

I wonder if Mariah had a radio deal or something  cause Dreamlover had a run like this.

21-2-2-1....

I think she charted early because of airplay/sales week difference

Dreamlover moved 40-13-9-3-2-1 on the Hot 100. I think it moved 12-4-3-1 on Top 40 Airplay, but I'm not sure about overall airplay. That highest debut ever comes with an asterisk though, as DL bubbled under the Top 40 the week before jumping on the chart at 12. The other 4-weekers debuted on the Top 40 Charts the week they hit radio. Also, I think Over And Over only took 4 weeks to reach #1 too, but I'm not up to checking its trajectory right now.