HonourableVomit

PJ Harvey

Recommended Posts

HonourableVomit

Polly Jean Harvey, known as PJ Harvey, is an English musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, writer, poet, and composer. She has released 9 solo albums and 2 collaborative albums with John Parish.

She is the only artist to win the Mercury Prize music award twice, and two further nominations.

Eight-time Brit Award nominee.

Seven time Grammy nominee.

 

Lowkey the greatest female singer-songwriter of the past 3 decades, fight me. 

 

I'll write a proper base post when I have the time! In the mean time, enjoy a legend's iconic album art and some author's suggestions:

 

 

 220px-PJHarveyDryalbumcover.jpg 220px-Rid_of_Me.jpg 220px-4-Track_Demos.jpg 

220px-To_Bring_You_My_Love.jpg 220px-Dance_Hall_at_Louse_Point.jpg 220px-Is_This_Desire.jpg

 220px-Stories_From_The_City,_Stories_Fro 220px-Uh_Huh_Her.jpg 220px-WC_cover.jpg 

220px-AWAMWB.jpg 220px-PJ_Harvey_-_Let_England_Shake.png 220px-The_Hope_Six_Demolition_Project_(F 

 

 

 

Perhaps the best thing about her is that you never get the same thing twice. A goddess. 

Edited by HonourableVomit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HonourableVomit

I saw her live just over a month ago, even though the Hope Six tour is DOMINATED by that album (literally every song except the annoying Memorials one) which is not her best work by any means... I was still totally slayed and the 90s moments that she did do (TBYML and 50 Ft Queenie especially) still go mercilessly for the follicles. 

 

Is This Desire? is my favourite album and I could (and have done) rant about that album for hours at a time, but To Bring You My Love is such a timeless well-rounded masterpiece that sometimes I wonder if it's my real favourite. The flawless spaghetti western pining anthems and the best closing song of all time The Dancer... wig. 

 

The fact that she came back and delivered Let England Shake after 2 full decades in the game, it's probably my #3 favourite of everything she's done and I would argue one of her most accessible despite the granny vocals and really harsh imagery in the lyrics. And then you have Rid Of Me, White Chalk, ugh. 

 

Ugh this bitch gives me everything I need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lamb4life

She is definitely one of the most influential female artists of the past decades. Tons of artists, male and female, have stanned for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunstreetgirl
9 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

 

I saw her live just over a month ago, even though the Hope Six tour

 

uggh I never get to go to concerts :cries:

how was it? I wouldn't have minded her playing mostly songs from HSDY, I hate when artists that have been around a while just make their shows greatest-hit concerts.. 

Did you hear the thing about her selling tickets to the albums recording? :rip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Fahrenheit

One of the all-time greats.

The best rock artist of the past quarter-century.

Remarkably consistent songwriter.

 

Dry - 9/10

Rid of Me - 10/10

4-Track Demos - 11/10

To Bring You My Love - 10/10

Dance Hall at Louse Point - 9/10

Is This Desire? - 9/10

Stories From The City... - 7/10

Uh Huh Her - 8/10

White Chalk - 9/10

A Woman A Man Walked By - 7/10

Let England Shake - 10/10

The Hope Six Demo Project - 8/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eeveelution

Horses in My Dreams is the greatest song of all rime. :heart2:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joey Coco
5 hours ago, gunstreetgirl said:

Yes :heart2:

 

@Joey Coco, @DivaCup get in here!

I have a love/hate relationship with PJ Harvey. I've desperately tried to enjoy albums like Dry and Rid of Me but it has yet to completely click. :michael:
 
On the other hand, I love Stories from the City Stories from the Sea, Let England Shake and The Hope Six Demolition Project.

My all time favorite will always be Is This Desire?. :heart2:

I think it's Polly's misunderstood masterpiece. Distorted beauty. :smitten2: It's more electronic and less guitar driven than her previous efforts but on certain songs it can be just as aggressive and sloppy. (No Girl No Sweet,Joy)
The whole mood of the album is mysterious and spooky. It sounds like something recorded in a haunted forest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
666

she really does have a flawless discography. i like every album

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
princedonte

Just got into her music recently. She's amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DivaCup

I listened to her a lot during my teenage years. I love "Send His Love to Me" and "Legs" :heart2: i need to re-discover some of her music -- and I haven't listened to the newest album

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LGBTQQ2SIAAAP+
4 hours ago, Eeveelution said:

Horses in My Dreams is the greatest song of all rime. :heart2:

 

:heart2:

 

LES is her best. :gaycat3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunstreetgirl
6 hours ago, Joey Coco said:

I have a love/hate relationship with PJ Harvey. I've desperately tried to enjoy albums like Dry and Rid of Me but it has yet to completely click. :michael:
 

that's not unusual really, when I put those albums on it can clear the room pretty quickly :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joey Coco
Just now, gunstreetgirl said:

that's not unusual really, when I put those albums on it can clear the room pretty quickly :laugh:

I completely understand. :biggrin: Did they click right away for you or were they grower albums?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunstreetgirl
7 minutes ago, Joey Coco said:

I completely understand. :biggrin: Did they click right away for you or were they grower albums?

right away, but I guess you kinda have to be in the mood for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucas32

England is one of the most beautiful songs ever especially the last set of lyrics and the haunting kurdish folk song.

 

I have searched for your springs
But people, they stagnate with time
Like water, like air
To you, England, I cling
Undaunted, never-failing
Love for you, England

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HonourableVomit
13 hours ago, Mr. Fahrenheit said:

One of the all-time greats.

The best rock artist of the past quarter-century.

Remarkably consistent songwriter.

 

Dry - 9/10

Rid of Me - 10/10

4-Track Demos - 11/10

To Bring You My Love - 10/10

Dance Hall at Louse Point - 9/10

Is This Desire? - 9/10

Stories From The City... - 7/10

Uh Huh Her - 8/10

White Chalk - 9/10

A Woman A Man Walked By - 7/10

Let England Shake - 10/10

The Hope Six Demo Project - 8/10

 

Why 4-track? Don't like Steve Albini's wall of sound & painfully quiet mastering? :gaycat3: I admit I've replaced Rid Of Me from the album version with the 4-track one on my phone for listening. I completely LOVE that song in its purest form with just her and her guitar, I don't really use it when all the men join in because it feels like the psychotic whisperings & rage of a woman, there's no place for dick on that one. 

 

14 hours ago, gunstreetgirl said:

uggh I never get to go to concerts :cries:

how was it? I wouldn't have minded her playing mostly songs from HSDY, I hate when artists that have been around a while just make their shows greatest-hit concerts.. 

Did you hear the thing about her selling tickets to the albums recording? :rip:

Yes! The live in exhibit totally makes sense in the context of the album, it's very observatory so it really adds to the narrative of THSDP that people got to watch her in the process. Would've been magical to see. I hope we also one day get the other songs she recorded there but cut, because I really liked Guilty!

I am glad it wasn't a greatest hits set because she doesn't really have "hits" :rip: That'd be a very short concert. But she did do Down By The Water so! 

 

2 hours ago, Joey Coco said:

I completely understand. :biggrin: Did they click right away for you or were they grower albums?

You didn't ask me, but - they are definitely growers if the context you're coming from is a glossy pop listener. ITD? can be an even more challenging listen but has more hooks on it so even though you like that one & not the first two doesn't mean you'll pick them up with ease. 

 

Rid of Me is like, woo. Once you 'get' that album and the entire mystique around it, there's no going back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunstreetgirl
3 hours ago, HonourableVomit said:

Yes! The live in exhibit totally makes sense in the context of the album, it's very observatory so it really adds to the narrative of THSDP that people got to watch her in the process. Would've been magical to see. I hope we also one day get the other songs she recorded there but cut, because I really liked Guilty!

I am glad it wasn't a greatest hits set because she doesn't really have "hits" :rip: That'd be a very short concert. But she did do Down By The Water so! 

I talked to someone on another forum that got to go.. iirc he said they sat on the other side of a two-way mirror, so they could see her but she couldn't see them

lol I guess I should've said 'best-of' rather than greatest hits :laugh:

Edited by gunstreetgirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HonourableVomit
5 hours ago, gunstreetgirl said:

I talked to someone on another forum that got to go.. iirc he said they sat on the other side of a two-way mirror, so they could see her but she couldn't see them

lol I guess I should've said 'best-of' rather than greatest hits :laugh:

Yeah I know what you meant I was just being silly. :gaycat2:

 

 

A  song & a look 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunstreetgirl
27 minutes ago, HonourableVomit said:

Yeah I know what you meant I was just being silly. :gaycat2:

 

 

A  song & a look 

the red dress :heart2:

 

Image result for pj harvey gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Fahrenheit
On 27/02/2017 at 1:31 AM, HonourableVomit said:

 

Why 4-track? Don't like Steve Albini's wall of sound & painfully quiet mastering? :gaycat3: I admit I've replaced Rid Of Me from the album version with the 4-track one on my phone for listening. I completely LOVE that song in its purest form with just her and her guitar, I don't really use it when all the men join in because it feels like the psychotic whisperings & rage of a woman, there's no place for dick on that one. 

4-Track Demos is, to borrow a word from Madge's Word Well, an incredibly cathartic listen. It's like she came from the sticks armed only with a King James bible, a stack of Captain Beefheart and Bob Dylan records, and a Telecaster with a paintbrush wedged in the fretboard. Plus it has "Reeling" on it, which is the greatest song of the 1990s depending on what mood I'm in when I hear it. :rip:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HonourableVomit

 

This version is SO much better than the album one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HonourableVomit

The Wind is the best song of all time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
666

i've been spamming myself with her earlier albums since i only ever SERIOUSLY got into Let England Shake/Stories. i saw her too last weekend and kdsdv she really puts on a spectacle!! i find A Place Called Home so underrated. there's something so atmospheric about the entire Stories album though i can't quite describe the place it takes me

 

@HonourableVomit your ranking?? :thing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
conatus

Had no idea this base existed welp.

 

But I'm here now. :heart2: And To Bring You My Love is still one of the greatest albums of all time. :heart2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites