atrlcritic | "Liberation" now

320 posts in this topic

IMPORTANT - REVIEW REQUIREMENTS

clear.gif

Please know that these requirements are only for the better. They are not meant to discourage stans from writing reviews; they are meant to promote more thoughtful and detailed reviews. 

All single reviews MUST be at least 80 words in length.

Here's a sample 80-word review:

Song Title by Artist is good but has weak spots. I like the instrumental, but the vocals are a bit weak. The production outshines the lyricism in this track. The prechorus melody is really catchy, and the bridge is a nice change of pace. Unfortunately, by the final chorus I was a bit bored. Although this track doesn't have much replay value, it'll be fun to dance to at a party. All in all, I thought this song was decent.

All album reviews MUST be at least 150 words in length.

Here's a sample 150-word review:

Album Title is a stunning collection. It begins with Song Title, which is so addictive. I'd bop to the instrumental. Song Title 2 and Song Title 3 seem like cheap filler, but Song Title 4 is when the album picks back up. The guest rap from Rap Artist fits the song well, and the verse melodies are great. Song The two other standout tracks are Song Title 6 and Song Title 9. Song Title 7 is the perfect mix of emotional and upbeat, and its inspirational lyrics are great to hear. Song Title 9 is the perfect way to close out the album, as its epic final chorus brings the house down.

Overall, this album was very cohesive and most of the songs were catchy and pleasant. Nothing felt out of place or forced on the album. I was very satisfied with Album Title, as it's an excellent pop album.

ABOUT

clear.gif

Welcome to atrlcritic! Based on the popular entertainment review website metacritic, atrlcritic is a collaborative effort between members and moderators of ATRL to review and rate the latest releases. Members will be given the opportunity to share and discuss their opinions on new releases while working to form a cumulative score.

Rules

clear.gif

– Absolutely no trolling. We want you to have fun and be creative with your reviews, but the rules of ATRL still apply.
– Single reviews must be at least 80 words; album reviews must be at least 150 words.
– Reviews won't be counted once the final score is posted.
– Members can discuss past reviews and recommend upcoming releases to review.
– Criticism of reviews is allowed, but personal attacks of members for their opinions is prohibited. For example, saying "your review doesn't make sense because _____" is OK, but "you have bad taste in music" is not.

Scoring

clear.gif

For songs/albums with a review period ending on or before November 9, 2014, there are two compiled scores—the member score and the modscore.
 For songs/albums with a review period ending after November 9, 2014, a Top Critic score is complied in lieu of a modscore.
– All reviews must include a score in order to be counted.
– All scores must be out of 4, out of 5, out of 10, or use the letter grade scale.
– At the end of the review period, final scores will be calculated and posted.
– Reviews will not be counted into the final score if they violate the rules.

The Review Process

clear.gif

– A single or album will be put up for review if there are at least three people requesting it to be reviewed. Under special circumstances, such as surprise release, this requirement may not apply and whether it is reviewed may be alexanderao's decision.
– Promotional singles will not be reviewed until they are released as official singles.
– The general amount of time for reviewing a single or album is 2 weeks.
– The maximum amount of things that will be reviewed at once is 5.
– Scores are only official if the song or album being reviewed receives more than 5 reviews.
– Review periods may be extended at the discretion of alexanderao.

Tips For Writing Reviews

clear.gif

The results of my atrlcritic survey showed that among those who completed the survey but have not written a review, approximately 78% said they had not written one because they do not feel like they can write good reviews.

To curb this problem, I've listed some of my tips for writing a review. These are just suggestions, and I don't care if you use them or not. I'm just trying to help out those who are struggling to write a "good" review.

1: Use as many adjectives as possible. 
Instead of using vague words like "good," "bad," or "okay," try to describe your feelings towards the song in as much detail as possible. Was the chorus disappointing or irresistible and catchy? Was the beat bland and vapid or pleasant and addictive? 

2: Don't censor yourself.
Don't worry what other people will think of your review, because as long as it meets the length requirements and justifies its score it will be counted. Pour out your thoughts on the song or album. 

3: If you are reviewing an album, consider a track-by-track review.
Sometimes it's hard to sum up a full album in a paragraph or two, and I know that it works better for a lot of people (including me) to go through each track briefly before wrapping up a review with a quick closing paragraph.

4: Assign a score by using other songs as reference points.
If you have no idea where to start, I would suggest thinking about your favorite and least favorite songs of the year. Your favorites will be in the 8-10 range, and your least favorites (depending on how harshly you review) should be in the 0-5 range. Then, think of songs that are nothing special; neither good nor bad. For most people these fall in the 4-6 range. Find a place for the song you are reviewing along that spectrum.

5: Don't obsess over spelling and grammar.
Your review does not have to flow perfectly or be devoid of spelling errors. Care more about the content of the review, not the way it is presented. Of course, if you feel comfortable with the content you are free to polish up your review. But if you are struggling to even get some content down, don't even think about spelling and grammar.

6: Have a conclusion.
Whether it is with one sentence or two paragraphs, it's always a good idea to wrap up your review with a summary of your thoughts about the song or album, so that the tone of your review is evident. For example, if you pointed out some good things about a song as well as some bad things, a conclusion will help you determine whether the good outweighed the bad, or vice versa. Think of your conclusion as your overall opinion about the song or album. Oftentimes, I find my conclusion helpful in determining a score for my review.

If anybody has any other tips, feel free to share! I want everyone to feel comfortable writing reviews because they really are fun to do! smile.gif

Previously Reviewed

clear.gif

Unofficial scores due to insufficient reviews

Under moderator management 
 Sia - "1000 Forms of Fear"
 Drake - "0 to 100 / The Catch Up"
 La Roux - "Trouble in Paradise"
 Azealia Banks - "Heavy Metal and Reflective"
 Jessie J, Ariana Grande, & Nicki Minaj - "Bang Bang"
 Hilary Duff - "Chasing the Sun"
 Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - "Anything Goes"
 Nicki Minaj - "Anaconda"
 Beyoncé f/Nicki Minaj - "***Flawless (Remix)"
 Pixie Lott - "Pixie Lott"
 Hilary Duff - "All About You"
 FKA twigs - "LP1"
 Taylor Swift - "Shake It Off"
 Charli XCX - "Break The Rules"
 Ariana Grande - "My Everything"
 Maroon 5 - "V"
 Banks - "Goddess" (final score of 76, 10 reviews)
 Jhené Aiko - "Souled Out" (final score of 87, 11 reviews)

Under alexanderao's management 
 Calvin Harris f/John Newman - "Blame"
 U2 - "Songs Of Innocence"
 Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - "Cheek To Cheek"
 Azealia Banks - "Chasing Time"
 Lorde - "Yellow Flicker Beat"
 Fergie - "L.A.LOVE (la la)"
 LIGHTS - "Little Machines"
 Carrie Underwood - "Something In The Water"
 One Direction - "Steal My Girl"
 Tove Lo - "Queen Of The Clouds"
*New review length requirements implemented*
 Hozier - "Hozier"
 Tokio Hotel - "Kings Of Suburbia"
 Marina & The Diamonds - "Froot"
 Jessie Ware - "Tough Love"
 Gwen Stefani - "Baby Don't Lie"
*Post-album release singles or other current hits that are not new releases declared reviewable*
 Kiesza - "Sound Of A Woman"
 Iggy Azalea f/MØ - "Beg For It"
 Taylor Swift - "1989"
 Imagine Dragons - "I Bet My Life"
*Modscore replaced by experimental Top Critic score*
 Calvin Harris - "Motion"
 Ariana Grande f/The Weeknd - "Love Me Harder"
 Selena Gomez - "The Heart Wants What It Wants"
 Azealia Banks - "Broke With Expensive Taste"
 iamamiwhoami - "BLUE"
 Nicki Minaj f/Skylar Grey - "Bed Of Lies"
 Lorde - "Pure Heroine" *throwback album #1*
 Kanye West - "Yeezus" *throwback album #2*
 Beyoncé - "7/11"
 Various Artists - "Mockingjay Part 1 Soundtrack"
 Mark Ronson f/Bruno Mars - "Uptown Funk!"
 Charli XCX - "Sucker"
 Nicki Minaj - "The Pinkprint"
 Nick Jonas - "Jealous"
 Meghan Trainor - "Title"
 Fall Out Boy - "American Beauty/American Psycho"
 Kelly Clarkson - "Heartbeat Song"'
 Rihanna, Kanye West, & Paul McCartney - "FourFiveSeconds"
 Maroon 5 - "Sugar"
 Björk - "Vulnicura"
 Taylor Swift - "Style"
 Carly Rae Jepsen - "I Really Like You"
 Drake - "If You're Reading This It's Too Late"
 Imagine Dragons - "Smoke + Mirrors"
 Kelly Clarkson - "Piece By Piece"
 Florence + The Machine - "What Kind Of Man"
 Madonna - "Rebel Heart"
 Kendrick Lamar - "To Pimp A Butterfly"
 Marina & The Diamonds - "Froot"
 Britney Spears & Iggy Azalea - "Pretty Girls"
 Selena Gomez f/A$AP Rocky - "Good For You"
 Hilary Duff - "Breathe In. Breathe Out."
 Demi Lovato - "Cool For The Summer"
 Miguel - "Wildheart"
 Carly Rae Jepsen - "E•MO•TION"
 Miley Cyrus - "Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz"
 Justin Bieber - "What Do You Mean?"
 Lana Del Rey - "Honeymoon"
 Selena Gomez - "Revival"
 Demi Lovato - "Confident"
 Adele - "Hello"
 Carrie Underwood - "Storyteller"
 Ellie Goulding - "Delirium"
 Little Mix - "Get Weird"
 Justin Bieber - "Purpose"
 Adele - "25"
 Grimes - "Art Angels"
 Troye Sivan - "Blue Neighbourhood"
 Rachel Platten - "Wildfire"
 Cam - "Untamed"
 Rihanna - "Anti"
 Sia - "This Is Acting"
 Charlie Puth - "Nine Track Mind"
 Beyonce - "Formation"
 Gwen Stefani - "This Is What The Truth Feels Like"
 ZAYN - "Mind Of Mine"
 M83 - "Junk"
 Kanye West - "The Life Of Pablo"
 Beyoncé - "Lemonade"
 Meghan Trainor - "Thank You"
 Ariana Grande - "Dangerous Woman"
 Fifth Harmony - "7/27"
 Nick Jonas - "Last Year Was Complicated"
 Tove Lo - "Cool Girl"
 Britney Spears - "Glory"
 Lady Gaga - "Joanne"

– Ed Sheeran - "Shape Of You"

– Ed Sheeran - "Castle On The Hill"

– Katy Perry f/Skip Marley - "Chained To The Rhythm"

– Lorde - "Green Light"

– Dua Lipa - "Dua Lipa"

– Katy Perry - "Witness"

– Lorde - "Melodrama"

– Shakira - "El Dorado"

– Demi Lovato - "Sorry Not Sorry"

– Kesha - "Rainbow"

– Kelly Clarkson - "Love So Soft"

– Kelly Clarkson - "Move You"

– Taylor Swift - "reputation"

Sorry for the weird-looking OP. Anyways, let's get started with Ed's two new tracks.

I haven't done this in forever but I may start again. I have very strong thots on Ed's fucking terrible new song

I'm just gonna wait for the next pair of songs/albums...

I'm gonna get on my reviews.

I'll review these! 

I should join in on this! 

Will be back after I figure my anatomy out.

Mezik's Music Corner

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (7/10)

440px-Ed_Sheeran_-_Castle_on_the_Hill_(C

Ed Sheeran's, one of two, new single 'Castle on the Hill' delivers everything that his fans have been waiting for during his hiatus from the music industry. An ode to childhood memories, Ed reflects back on his younger years and those individuals who helped shaped him into who he is today. While it seems that every artist out there nowadays releases a song of this nature, what separates Ed from his contemporaries is how specific in detail he goes into to get the nostalgia effect ingrained in the listener - specifically evident in the bridge leading up to the final chorus. Furthermore, this seems to be the first song where Ed seems fully comfortable singing in his vocal range by singing confidently and sharply no matter which note he's hitting. Overall, 'Castle' was a nice treat after the long weight, and between the feel-good chorus and concise and specific lyrics Ed has delivered another hit that will surely be all over radio for the year to come.

I might start doing these more 

1 Ed Sheeran - Castle On the Hill 6/10

I think this song will make the core fanbase of Ed quite happy as it contains everything that he is mostly known for at this time: a simplistic sound, specific and sweet lyrics, and on-point vocals. The production makes it sound a bit like a U2 song given to Ed as a gift. However, those looking for something that is refreshing on the radio will probably quickly pass by this song. It sounds like many songs of the past and does not show sonic progression. This has been a complaint about Ed in general that his material is too same-y. Not everyone is looking for an artist to always change, though, so this will suit those type of people best. Overall, I'd call it "cute" - not bad at all, but not worthy of a standing ovation.

2 Ed Sheeran - Shape of You 6.5/10

This song is definitely more interesting and fun to listen to than Castle On the Hill and much more poppy. The production is quite great with a good speaker/headphone system and Ed can sing very quickly and paint a great picture of specific scenarios with this shapely woman. The reasons I docked down points to make it only 0.5 higher than Castle is mainly, and largely, due to creativity. Or lack thereof. People are very right to say this is a knockoff of Sia's latest hit songs and it's blatantly obvious. Ed is supposed to be better than making something derivative that screams "I really want a hit". The song is doing its job and smashing, but it's not super impressive given he trend-hopped very hard to do it.  I'm sure I'll be hearing this out and play it sometimes myself, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't left underwhelmed. I think he's better than this. 

I think we should do The xx's - I See You as well for review!

Mezik's Music Corner

Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (5.0/10)

Shape_of_You_single_cover.jpg

One can arguably say that the trend for 2016 in popular music was 'tropical-like' / 'dancehall'-influenced productions. We saw this in Justin Bieber's 'Sorry', Rihanna's 'Work' and Sia's 'Cheap Thrills'. What do all three of these songs have in common? I will give you a hint, they all reigned supreme on the Billboard Hot 100 and at the time were unique and unlike much that was being played on the radio at the time. So fast-forward to 2017, and it seems that Sheeran just really wanted to get his own number one this time around and perhaps left artistic integrity behind when releasing this song. While many can argue "it went number one so it cannot be labelled a bad song!" one must remember that there was a lot of hype built up for new music from Sheeran, and any song he released could have done successful. Unfortunately, that meant we got a song that sounds dated and almost lifeless. While Sheeran can write an entire setting into your imagination, which is the selling point of this song, lyrics can only contribute so much when the vocals sound they are without emotion. 'Shape of You' is not a terrible song by any means, and had it been released in 2016 it could have been a massive hit as well - however it is not a great song by any means either. Listening to the track leaves the listener in a state of limbo, where you are not overwhelmed by the new song but left wanting something more. The chorus lacks the energy and heart that came with 'Castle on the Hill's' chorus, and 'Shape of You' does not reach a peak throughout the track and just continues on at a slow pace. It is too soon to judge, and with Sheeran's previous eras the first singles released were always underwhelming compared to the rest of the album. It is nice to finally have new music from Sheeran playing on the radio, but let's hope he did not compromise what was unique about him in order to score multiple generic hits this era.

Shape of You:

This song is just lazy and completely uninspired. Ed could've given this song to literally any other singer, male or female, and it would've sounded the same. There's nothing Ed Sheeran about this track. While the same is mostly true for the track that clearly inspired Shape of You, "Cheap Thrills", the difference is that Thrills isn't the lead single to an apparently personal album. If Shape of You is anything to go by, Divide will either be a trendhopping mess or Shape will fit nowhere on the tracklist, giving it no reason to exist other than to be a hit. The song itself isn't exactly phenomenal either, far from it. It's quite mediocre and frankly, I don't believe a single word coming out of Ed's mouth. His voice does not ooze an ounce of sexiness at all and it's made painfully obvious in this song. The lyrics talking about a girl putting her body on him and the soft British HAC tone of Ed Sheeran create a conflicting tone that the song never recovers from. The instrumental is  generic, uninspired and I'd even go as far as to say it was ripped off. It's astonishing and almost offensive that after a year of huge hits sounding exactly like Shape of You, Ed decides to end his years long break by triumphantly coming back with the same stuff we've been hearing the past year. Catchy? Yes. Uninspired? Definitely. Artistic? Far from it.

Shape of You is a miss

2/10

Shape of You: 2.5/5

This song is definitely a weird one. For Ed, this is the first song where has stepped out of his comfort zone of guitar-laden mid-tempos. It's even a little more sexually charged than this usual romantic aura. However, in the grand scheme of pop music at the moment, it's really generic; I hope this sound has died out by the middle of the year. If this was released a few years back it might have mustered a higher score because it's really not a bad song. But sadly it's 2017 and this has been done time and time again. I'd also liken this song more to The Greatest than Cheap Thrills.

Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (Single Review)

Obviously the more popular of the 2, some say it's a pure copy of Cheap Thrills, and honestly I don't see it. The instrumental is a bit similar sure, but it has its own distinct feel. The lyrics aren't anything special, sure, but they don't need to be, we have Castle On The Hill for that.

There's something so enjoyable about this I can't deny, and it's a breath of fresh air on pop radio, even if it has aged pretty quickly. While also conforming to modern trends to insure radio play, guaranteeing this song to be a smash, and it's an overall fun and enjoyable song. and I give it an 8.5/10

Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (Single Review)

The less mainstream of the 2 singles, but most critics will agree that it's the better song, and I feel like it is, Ed Sheeran's vocals are just amazing here, and the song tells a meaningful story about life. The sound of this song is very refreshing, and something different for a change (not another trap/urban/tropical song). And it reminds me of late 2000's rock (ie: Use Somebody) I just can't deny the catchiness of Shape Of You, and find myself listening to that one a lot more, even though this is technically the better track. Regardless, Divide is looking promising, and I'm not even an Ed Sheeran fan! 9/10

I feel like releasing 2 singles was great for the fans, but sadly Castle On The Hill had to suffer being overshadowed by Shape Of You.

Ed Sheeran - Shape of You

Ed Sheeran's new radio single, Shape of You finds Ed singing about a girl he met at a bar. He hops on the latest radio trend: ~tropical~ pop music, borrowing Sia's Cheap Thrills & blatantly ripping off TLC's classic No Scrubs. The song is so uninspired & cold that it makes Sheeran talking about sex sound like nursery rhymes. It serves no other purpose than being a catchy hit. Unfortunately, it's also not better than any replica radio hit. Let alone remembering this song, i wouldn't want to listen to this song if it wasn't being spammed on the radio.

1/10

---

Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill

Ed Sheeran's second comeback song, Castle on the Hill, is a U2'esque nostalgia track. Probably released to show Sheeran's diversity. Lyrics doesn't really show any depth, relying on clichés like drinking cheap beer, smoking hand rolled cigarretes. The song feels forced, it's like Team Sheeran chopped the parts of the songs of U2 & Mumford and Sons, borrowed the lyrics from the recent trend: nostalgia, added a britpop vibe. At least it's better than Shape of You, i can say confidently

3/10

Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You

vV6gwFp.jpg?1

Members

Score 46

2 positive, 1 mixed, 2 negative

Top Critics

Score 50

1 mixed

Overall Score

2 positive, 2 mixed, 2 negative

Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill

Mt6GYqK.jpg?1

Members

Score 60

1 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative

Top Critics

Score 70

1 positive

Overall Score

2 positive, 1 mixed, 1 negative

Recent releases & songs currently blowing up– make sure to request if you're interested. Of course, we can do anything people want to, not just options on these lists.

Singles

Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road

Imagine Dragons - Believer

The Chainsmokers - Paris

Julia Michaels - Issues

Kyle - iSpy f/Lil Yachty

Big Sean - Bounce Back

Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad Things

Albums

Big Sean - I Decided.

Migos - Culture

Kehlani - SweetSexySavage

Various Artists - La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

What's Top Critic? 

I'm down for Sam Hunt, Kehlani or Chainsmomers.

On 08/02/2017 at 1:55 AM, Brando said:

What's Top Critic? 

Yeah idk neither

6 hours ago, Squall said:

Yeah idk neither

Back in fall 2014 when this was a more popular thread, there were a ton of troll reviews, so I created the Top Critic score as a way to contextualize the overall scores songs/albums got (this was always something that the mods had in mind when they originally created this thread– if you recall, there was originally a Modscore, but it became pointless because very few mods wrote reviews). Top Critics are essentially a group of people that have consistently and thoughtfully participated in this thread. 

But it's kinda pointless now too because the thread is inactive enough that we don't really see trolls.

Can we agree to do Katy Perry's new single when it's released tomorrow? :duca: 

Do you only review current singles? You should run a few classic song / albums parrarel 

12 hours ago, Mezik said:

Can we agree to do Katy Perry's new single when it's released tomorrow? :duca: 

i second this