Billboard Charts (January 22-28, 2017)

alexanderao

I only care about Migos extending their #1. lets go!!!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• brianc33710

• PurrKaty

• alexanderao

9 minutes ago, FutureHive said:

I only care about Migos extending their #1. lets go!!!

We've been watching the charts for years. You can care and hope but we know how the chart metrics work dear. :celestial5:

2 hours ago, PurrKaty said:

Actually I'm pretty sure the trend started with Rihanna. She discounted Only Girl (In The World) to $0.99 for a week to snack #1. And then she came out with the remix for S&M to snatch a week at #1.

These are all the one's I can think of that artists have used tactics to go #1 or try to go #1 with a discount and/or remix. Katy did both tactics for Last Friday Night to get 2 weeks at #1. She then tried the same thing for The One That Got Away and it failed. She also discounted Wide Awake but it couldn't get past Call Me Maybe. Bruno later did a discount for When I Was Your Man to score a week at #1. Sia did a discount to get her first 2 of 4 weeks at #1. Major Lazer tried to discount for Cold Water but Closer was too strong and it was too late in CW run to have much impact in sales. And then The Weeknd did a discount for Starboy to get a week at #1.

Well I'm pretty sure Mariah Carey started this back in the 90s. 

39 minutes ago, dussymob said:

Yeah I heard she did certain tactics to score some number ones. I'm not sure how true that is. All I know is that Rih seemed to be the first in the digital era. 

Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure Whistle and Call Me Maybe had discounts on Amazon during their reigns. They still would have been number one without question though. 

5 hours ago, hellocory said:

IDWLF is def going #1

Taylor putting these girls on notice...

MGt9jc0.gif

1 hour ago, dussymob said:

44 minutes ago, PurrKaty said:

Yeah I heard she did certain tactics to score some number ones. I'm not sure how true that is. All I know is that Rih seemed to be the first in the digital era. 

Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure Whistle and Call Me Maybe had discounts on Amazon during their reigns. They still would have been number one without question though. 

Allegedly Michael and some 80s figures did some trickery back in the day. 
Dirty diana going #1 and then falling like a rock

But Mariah definitely did the best with her tactics.

SInce she had 50 airplay 50 sales in the 90s as the hot 100 ratio

Her team would repress singles until after it reached top 15 on airplay and she was played on pop urban and ac stations.

Others did it do but she did it the best.

Towards the late 90s when Tommy started sabotaging her (i.e. 7 months in between physical single releases for Honey and My all) she had to ditch the repress singles and go for .69 and 99c singles (I think the price was typically $2-3) and also her remixes would be played on urban and the pop versions on pop (Heartbreaker, Always be my baby, Thank Mariah I found you, My all, Fantasy). Two sounds...1 song. 2x the airplay opportunity. This was before JLO took it in 2001.

Mariah remains a legend.

Can't force people to buy your music just because you put it on sale for cheap

MGt9jc0.gif

The "trend" y'all are discussing has been around since the inception of the modern music industry. There's nothing new under the sun.

6 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

MV have always been a way of promo and discounts have been a thing since Katy started the trend for LFN.  I don't get what your last 2 points are though. :celestial5:

It actually started with Rihanna a little bit earlier.

1 hour ago, castle13 said:

3 songs battling for number 1 :dies: 

Though I'm not the biggest fan of the song, I'd like to see IDWLF go #1 just to keep up the quick changes that are happening this year at the top of the chart. It shall be interesting to see who gets it

I somewhat hope IDWLF gets blocked. If LMLYD and Earned It didn't hit #1 then I don't feel it deserves to.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:18 PM, slw84 said:

Allegedly Michael and some 80s figures did some trickery back in the day. 
Dirty diana going #1 and then falling like a rock

But Mariah definitely did the best with her tactics.

SInce she had 50 airplay 50 sales in the 90s as the hot 100 ratio

Her team would repress singles until after it reached top 15 on airplay and she was played on pop urban and ac stations.

Others did it do but she did it the best.

Towards the late 90s when Tommy started sabotaging her (i.e. 7 months in between physical single releases for Honey and My all) she had to ditch the repress singles and go for .69 and 99c singles (I think the price was typically $2-3) and also her remixes would be played on urban and the pop versions on pop (Heartbreaker, Always be my baby, Thank Mariah I found you, My all, Fantasy). Two sounds...1 song. 2x the airplay opportunity. This was before JLO took it in 2001.

Mariah remains a legend.

Can't force people to buy your music just because you put it on sale for cheap

MGt9jc0.gif

Actually Carey's CD and Cassette Singles were priced at $0.49, cheaper than ITunes has ever been. Considering the physical singles cost about $2 each to produce, and most singles sold for $3.49-$4.49 (and maxi singles at $6.99), $0.49 was a much larger discount than $0.69 vs. $1.29. 

And yeah, Dirty Diana was both the "smallest" and fastest falling #1 of the 1980s. DD spent one week at #1, just 5 in the Top 10, only 11 in the Top 40, and just 14 on the Hot 100 (one of those weeks was before hitting the Top 40). I think DD fell 1-5-15-30-51-77, or just five falling weeks total. Jackson should've let Man In The Mirror smash instead of so desperately pushing for that fifth #1. I think without the pressure to pick up DD, MITM could've gotten three or maybe even four weeks on top, and would've fallen more slowly (though Mirror was already the slowest falling song from Bad -- none of the songs had much hang time).

Just now, Wonderland said:

I somewhat hope IDWLF gets blocked. If LMLYD and Earned It didn't hit #1 then I don't feel it deserves to.

Where did those two songs peak?

35 minutes ago, opruh said:

Where did those two songs peak?

Both peaked at #3, however both, went #1 on radio songs. :biggrin:

Edited by ARTPØP

8 minutes ago, ARTPØP said:

Both peaked at #3, however both, went #1 on radio songs. :biggrin:

Earned It has to be one of the biggest #3-peaking hits this decade. It's 5x platinum now!

3 hours ago, Jojodomo said:

Though I'm not the biggest fan of the song, I'd like to see IDWLF go #1 just to keep up the quick changes that are happening this year at the top of the chart. It shall be interesting to see who gets it

It would be nice to have a fast pace year. The last 2-3 years have been rather slow. I want another year with +15 #1's :dancehall:

I wouldn't mind a 2010 repeat tbh

God I was really hoping IDWLF flopped. It's not better then LMLYD and it's certainly not better than Earned It.

6 hours ago, castle13 said:

3 songs battling for number 1 :dies: 

I hope Taylor gets in touch with Ed and they delay his video :eli:

But competition is always fun to watch :duca:

1 hour ago, RainDreamer said:

I hope Taylor gets in touch with Ed and they delay his video :eli:

But competition is always fun to watch :duca:

A soundtrack competing neck and neck with a lead single of "the biggest male artist at the moment" and a viral hit. Only the Lord

1 hour ago, castle13 said:

A soundtrack competing neck and neck with a lead single of "the biggest male artist at the moment" and a viral hit. Only the Lord

Uhm? The "soundtrack single" just had a video premiere + discount, Shape of You didn't. 

And why can't soundtrack singles be big to begin with? Love Me Like You Do was huge. Not to talk about CSTF! and Happy..

14 minutes ago, Starkboy said:

Uhm? The "soundtrack single" just had a video premiere + discount, Shape of You didn't. 

And why can't soundtrack singles be big to begin with? Love Me Like You Do was huge. Not to talk about CSTF! and Happy..

tell em

2 hours ago, castle13 said:

Why are you acting like a soundtrack single is some downgraded product? Lmao. They have the potential to be just as successful as a lead, and very often are.

8 hours ago, Wonderland said:

I agree :celestial5: 

It is a downgraded product. Have you heard the song? :eli:

48 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Why are you acting like a soundtrack single is some downgraded product? Lmao. They have the potential to be just as successful as a lead, and very often are.

What about sledgehammer?