Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeyDuff1D

'Days of Our Lives' renewed @ NBC

MikeyDuff1D

days_of_our_lives_will_sonny_wedding.jpg

NBC isn't done with Days of Our Lives just yet.

The network has renewed the long-running soap opera for a 52nd season. Days of our Lives, which is set in the fictitious Midwestern town of Salem, recently aired its 13,000th episode in January. The renewal news comes after speculation that the network may cancel the drama to open up the time slot for Megyn Kelly's new daytime show.

The soap, which first premiered as a half-hour drama in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later, is produced by Corday Productions Inc. in association with Sony Pictures Television. Ken Corday serves as an executive producer with co-executive producers Greg Meng and Albert Alarr. Ron Carlivati is the head writer.

"We feel so privileged to be able to continue the remarkable legacy of Days of our Lives,” said Jennifer Salke, president of NBC Entertainment. "We thank Ken Corday and his team for their incredible accomplishments and look forward to all the stories from Salem that will continue to unfold."

Added Corday: "It’s a great day in Salem! We’re pleased to announce that after more than 51 years in the hearts and homes of our amazing fans, Days of Our Lives will continue to be part of the NBC family. We are grateful to our incredible network and longstanding partner Sony for their continued support, and we look forward to what the future will bring under the new creative direction of the show. I’m especially proud to be able to shepherd Days into the new season, continuing my parents dream and the show’s legacy."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/days-lives-renewed-at-nbc-978108

Rhisiart

13000 episodes?! :deadbanana:

MikeyDuff1D
6 minutes ago, Rhisiart said:

13000 episodes?! :deadbanana:

:heart2:

moonlight.

congrats but holy ****, just imagine trying to binge watch this show :rip: 

TSLGNMA
1 minute ago, moonlight. said:

congrats but holy ****, just imagine trying to binge watch this show :rip: 

About 10 episodes a day for 3.5 years. :ahh: 

moonlight.
Just now, TSLGNMA said:

****ing christ :dies: 

Rhisiart
Just now, TSLGNMA said:

And that's 10 hours a day too. I'm not even going to do the math, but lord that's a gigantic chunk of time to waste. :rip:

Whore of Babylon

iconic :deadbanana3:  

liberalmusiclover
31 minutes ago, TSLGNMA said:

Just enough to get through Trump's presidency.

Horizon Flame

giphy.gif

raw

tumblr_mnqjtuXiMn1rxy0aqo4_250.gif

tumblr_inline_nfq8590cZ31qjdae7.gif

MikeyDuff1D
2 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

giphy.gif

raw

tumblr_mnqjtuXiMn1rxy0aqo4_250.gif

tumblr_inline_nfq8590cZ31qjdae7.gif

You better stan for Kristen! 

I heard that Ron Carlivati, the new headwriter, is really big on strong female characters, so hopefully he'll bring her back :duca:

Horizon Flame
Just now, MikeyDuff1D said:

Hopefully they bring Kristen back this year!

I heard that Ron Carlivati, the new headwriter, is really big on strong female characters, so maybe he'll bring her back :duca:

He better! He loves bitches apparently and Eileen wants to return.

tumblr_mnoy0aNOPF1qlrtq2o1_r3_400.gif

tumblr_mp0eykbsey1r9c8mno1_500.gif

MikeyDuff1D
2 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mnqjtuXiMn1rxy0aqo7_250.gif

Rocket

SLAY!

I was only watching YouTube videos of the Salem Serial Killer yesterday.

Eileen was the greatest thing to ever happen to DOOL.

Kristen DiMera

Susan Banks

Sister Mary Moira Banks

Thomas Banks

Penelope Kent

:ahh:

MikeyDuff1D
6 minutes ago, Rocket said:

SLAY!

I was only watching YouTube videos of the Salem Serial Killer yesterday.

Eileen was the greatest thing to ever happen to DOOL.

Kristen DiMera

Susan Banks

Sister Mary Moira Banks

Thomas Banks

Penelope Kent

:ahh:

Iconic

eileen.jpg

How she didn't win the Emmy that year is beyond me...

Horizon Flame

When Susan returned in 2014, I was literally jumping up and down. It was the funniest ****ing thing I've ever seen. It was so well done. I actually chatted with Eileen a few years ago online. She's really nice. This was when she just joined Days again. I wished her the best of luck. I was thrilled when she won in 2014. I was going to be pissed if she didn't. The fact that she returned - TWICE after she left in 2013, made me feel good about the possibly for future appearances. I remember when she left back in '98. Every time there was a shakeup at Y&R, rumors would start that she would maybe head to Days but nothing would happen. Who would have thought that it would take 14 years to get her to head back to Salem?! It only happened because Sony stepped in and demanded it. She took a pay cut, asked for twice the work to make up the difference, but it payed off in the end. She wound up loving it and making friends. She had it written in contract that she could do both Y&R and Days. Now any time there's a poll, people prefer her as Kristen over Ashley on Y&R. It's hilarious. No one likes her as miss goody two shoes. I remember when she first re-joined Days in 2012 and people who watched her on Y&R and were unfamiliar with her Days character first saw her as Kristen - they were appalled. They ended up loving Kristen. No matter what **** that woman pulled, they'd still root for her. :dies:  She stirs the pot, gets the best lines, and it shows what an incredible actress Eileen is. She's basically wallpaper over at Y&R.

vx25ty.gif

A whole other topic... I'd love for them to bring Chandler Massey back as Will. Days was steamy there for awhile. I don't know how much chemistry Chandler had with Freddie Smith, but I couldn't get into Guy Wilson as Will. Maybe recast the role altogether? It's so horrible how they had that character go out, getting strangled. 

tumblr_mch4liumOc1rtrgefo1_500.gif

MikeyDuff1D
19 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

When Susan returned in 2014, I was literally jumping up and down. It was the funniest ****ing thing I've ever seen. It was so well done. I actually chatted with Eileen a few years ago online. She's really nice. This was when she just joined Days again. I wished her the best of luck. I was thrilled when she won in 2014. I was going to be pissed if she didn't. The fact that she returned - TWICE after she left in 2013, made me feel good about the possibly for future appearances. I remember when she left back in '98. Every time there was a shakeup at Y&R, rumors would start that she would maybe head to Days but nothing would happen. Who would have thought that it would take 14 years to get her to head back to Salem?! It only happened because Sony stepped in and demanded it. She took a pay cut, asked for twice the work to make up the difference, but it payed off in the end. She wound up loving it and making friends. She had it written in contract that she could do both Y&R and Days. Now any time there's a poll, people prefer her as Kristen over Ashley on Y&R. It's hilarious. No one likes her as miss goody two shoes. I remember when she first re-joined Days in 2012 and people who watched her on Y&R and were unfamiliar with her Days character first saw her as Kristen - they were appalled. They ended up loving Kristen. No matter what **** that woman pulled, they'd still root for her. :dies:  She stirs the pot, gets the best lines, and it shows what an incredible actress Eileen is. She's basically wallpaper over at Y&R.

vx25ty.gif

A whole other topic... I'd love for them to bring Chandler Massey back as Will. Days was steamy there for awhile. I don't know how much chemistry Chandler had with Freddie Smith, but I couldn't get into Guy Wilson as Will. Maybe recast the role altogether? It's so horrible how they had that character go out, getting strangled. 

tumblr_mch4liumOc1rtrgefo1_500.gif

You could just tell Eileen was fully living getting to be Susan once again.  You're lucky you got to talk to her. I watch her on RHOBH and she is an amazing person. Honestly, her coming back to DAYS in 2013 really rejuvenated the show and her career. I honestly screamed when she won the Emmy. Her talents are being wasted over at Y&R. They really need to bring her back to DAYS, especially since the current Dimeras onscreen aren't doing it for me. They need to build on that family more. 

I agree, they desperately need to bring Chandler back. It would be great to see Will come back just as Sonny & Paul are settling. I will never get over them killing Will off. Their treatment of their gay characters is atrocious.

Freddie Smith's acting has been tragic lately imo. Christopher Sean is really carrying their scenes. Maybe he isn't connecting with the material he is being given currently onscreen, but I'm sure he would be more motivated to do better if they brought Chandler back. 

StephenNYMonster
47 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

Ron is definitely bringing her back. Eileen is everything he loves: She can play a bitch, she can be weird, and she is up for paranormal stories. Ron is about to save this show and I'm ready for it.

Horizon Flame
9 minutes ago, MikeyDuff1D said:

You're lucky you got to talk to her. I watch her on RHOBH and she is an amazing person. Honestly, her coming back to DAYS in 2013 really rejuvenated the show and her career. I honestly screamed when she won the Emmy. Her talents are being wasted over at Y&R. They really need to bring her back to DAYS, especially since the current Dimeras onscreen aren't doing it for me. They need to build on that family more. 

I agree, they desperately need to bring Chandler back. It would be great to see Will come back just as Sonny & Paul are settling. I will never get over them killing Will off. Their treatment of their gay characters is atrocious.

Freddie Smith's acting has been tragic lately imo. Christopher Sean is really carrying their scenes. Maybe he isn't connecting with the material he is being given currently onscreen, but I'm sure he would be more motivated to do better if they brought Chandler back. 

Christopher's a hottie. The show's now being run by gays: head gay writer, that Quan guy (co-head writer/historian I think) is also gay, then there's Greg Meng, co-executive producer, he's gay. They need to treat the gay characters with respect. Thank god they got rid of that hack Dena Higley. I loved when they were putting up portions of her autobiography on Twitter where she basically outed herself as a raving lunatic. The woman is wacky. She loves sending soaps into the ground. She gave the finger to the show yet again this time to a fan too, saying don't expect her back ever again -- GOOD. Who was the hot gay bellman they brought back a few times? I think he was dating Molly Burnett in real life. Then there was Brian, that hot homewrecker!

DecentNervousAracari-mobile.jpg

tumblrbrant1.gif

brison_zps2fb33278.gif

Horizon Flame
10 minutes ago, StephenNYMonster said:

Ron is definitely bringing her back. Eileen is everything he loves: She can play a bitch, she can be weird, and she is up for paranormal stories. Ron is about to save this show and I'm ready for it.

Susan in 2014 to Sami: "Boy how time flies, huh? Seems like just yesterday you were strapped to electric chair, just waitin' to fry for killing someone, huh?"

tumblr_ncq1toGBTc1rxy0aqo3_250.gif

:dies:

StephenNYMonster
Just now, Horizon Flame said:

Susan in 2014 to Sami: "Boy how time flies, huh? Seems like just yesterday you were strapped to electric chair, just waitin' to fry for killing someone, huh?"

tumblr_ncq1toGBTc1rxy0aqo3_250.gif

:ahh: I love that whole mess. Her Emmy winning scene with Marlena I still watch to this day. It is seriously the most iconic scene in modern daytime history.

MikeyDuff1D
11 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

Christopher's a hottie. The show's now being run by gays: head gay writer, that Quan guy (co-head writer/historian I think) is also gay, then there's Greg Meng, co-executive producer, he's gay. They need to treat the gay characters with respect. Thank god they got rid of that hack Dena Higley. I loved when they were putting up portions of her autobiography on Twitter where she basically outed herself as a raving lunatic. The woman is wacky. She loves sending soaps into the ground. She gave the finger to the show yet again this time to a fan too, saying don't expect her back ever again -- GOOD. Who was the hot gay bellmen they brought back a few times? I think he was dating Molly Burnett in real life. Then there was Brian, that hot homewrecker!

DecentNervousAracari-mobile.jpg

tumblrbrant1.gif

brison_zps2fb33278.gif

The kiss in the third gif is probably the hottest gay kiss on the show of all time. Remember that irrelevant blonde gay that tried to come between WilSon?

Dena is so messy. She was gonna do an interview with Afterbuzz TV shortly after being fired this last time, probably to bash the show, but cancelled (or maybe they threatened legal action) last minute. Josh Griffith sucked too. 

Recently they had Sonny and Paul jumped and Sonny was kidnapped. I know the context was completely different, but it gave me gay bashing teas. The fact that neither fought back at all was frustrating. I felt there was a lot of subtle homophobia with this last writing regime.

Horizon Flame
Just now, StephenNYMonster said:

:ahh: I love that whole mess. Her Emmy winning scene with Marlena I still watch to this day. It is seriously the most iconic scene in modern daytime history.

I love that one and the one where she confronts John in the hotel room on New Year's Eve and tells him he's an idiot and about what her plan was all along. She so psychotically evil. It's literally the best performance she's ever given. 

There there's the initial one where she reveals to Marlena and to the viewers that she hasn't changed with the simple "Thank you," along with the smirk:

Image result for kristen days gif

and the "and I having a great time," after telling Marlena that everyone thinks that she's changed and she's (Marlena) crazy.

Related image

I swear that the writers were either psycho themselves or had some psychology backward. It was so perfectly written. They did win writing awards those years, I think. They just spun Kristen's web little by little. 

Horizon Flame
2 minutes ago, MikeyDuff1D said:

The kiss in the third gif is probably the hottest gay kiss on the show of all time. Remember that irrelevant blonde gay that tried to come between WilSon?

Dena is so messy. She was gonna do an interview with Afterbuzz TV shortly after being fired this last time, probably to bash the show, but cancelled (or maybe they threatened legal action) last minute. Josh Griffith sucked too. 

Recently they had Sonny and Paul jumped and Sonny was kidnapped. I know the context was completely different, but it gave me gay bashing teas. The fact that neither fought back at all was frustrating. 

The same happened with Will's strangling. He just took it. It was pathetic. It was sickening. Alison Sweeney was outraged over the killing of Will -- she also wants to return. I wonder how her being so vocal about Will's murder went with the writers/producers.

hooky
1 hour ago, Rhisiart said:

And that's 10 hours a day too. I'm not even going to do the math, but lord that's a gigantic chunk of time to waste. :rip:

With soaps you just kinda have to jump in. There's just too many episodes, and it's a new one each weekday. :rip: Earlier episodes seem to be shorter though, a lot of soaps were originally 15 minutes before jumping to 30, and then many jumped to a whole hour between the 70s and the 90s. The ones that didn't switch to a full hour ended up getting canceled save for The Bold and the Beautiful, which follows and is a spinoff of The Young and the Restless and which may be what has kept it on. 

And this isn't even the longest. General Hospital has 13,722 episodes and counting, As the World Turns ended its run at 13,858 episodes, and Guiding Light has a total of 18,262 episodes dating back to radio :rip: