H100: God's Plan 8x #1, MTB #4, The Middle #6, Delicate #84

Renan90

butterflysupreme
3 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

I heard uptown funk regilsrly in the middle class mall department stores ala Sears.  Never heard SOY in them.

I was talking about in Europe/Middle East

UF seems bigger in the US but thankfully SOY won outside 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pacaveli

• dussymob

• QueenofCopyPaste

• FutureHive

14 hours ago, Communion said:

Now sis I hope this is you asking if NF had a racism scandal and not asking if he wasn't played cause he's white. :skull:

Just a few months ago, Post was #1 and G-Eazy was #2 on Urban.

Does NF even have any clout in the rap industry? Or is he more a Christian artist who just happens to rap?

If he became famous through his Christian industry association, is it odd that Urban doesn't feel like they know him and don't feel invested into spinning him?

no NF is not a factor in rap discussion

Edited by FutureHive

Just now, FutureHive said:

no NF is not a factor is rap discussion

Googling him tells me he got his career mostly through Christian circles and most of his awards are Dove Awards. :skull:

So yeah. It's not odd or shocking that Urban wasn't dedicated to spinning an outsider.

Country does this all the time, so no clue why it's now a big deal when Urban does it.

6 minutes ago, Communion said:

Googling him tells me he got his career mostly through Christian circles and most of his awards are Dove Awards. :skull:

So yeah. It's not odd or shocking that Urban wasn't dedicated to spinning an outsider.

Country does this all the time, so no clue why it's now a big deal when Urban does it.

it was a decent hit. ive never heard it. he clearly doesnt need me (urban audience)

54 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Yet ya all get mad when pop doesn’t spin urban...

Pop has a wider net it has to cast than Urban.

Urban is more akin in being genre-specific like Rock, Country, etc. are than Pop, Rhythmic and Hot AC are.

And even then, Pop's net is supposed to be wider than Hot AC and Rhythmic.

No one really expects Hot AC to play Rhythmic songs nor do they expect Rhythmic to play Hot AC songs.

But Pop largely plays songs from both Hot AC and Rhythmic.

So yes, it's not unreasonable if people are shocked if a huge song that's #1 on Urban makes no traction at Pop.

No one's shocked Pop isn't playing Tank in 2018.

But if pop.. didn't play Drake or a huge Lil Uzi song or even were cold to SZA, it is a bit odd.

NF being a rapper doesn't essentially mean he's popular with rap fans.

Similarly, people take issue when Pop ignores Urban songs clearly popular with most people.

Urban focuses on a very specific audience. Pop's audience is much wider yet it still ignores segments of that audience.

Edited by Communion

4 hours ago, FREE said:

why isn’t this pinned

It seems the mods stopped pinning BB threads, I guess it's because they last only for a week.

Just now, Agenor said:

It seems the mods stopped pinning BB threads, I guess it's because they last only for a week.

No

Its more so mods are not as active on this site as once before

Kworb used to be the one who pinned it, I'm sure, cause he used to frequent this section...but not even he is on here like once before 

1 minute ago, Sinister said:

No

Its more so mods are not as active on this site as once before

Kworb used to be the one who pinned it, I'm sure, cause he used to frequent this section...but not even he is on here like once before 

It's a bit strange that the old thread was unpinned, and not replaced with the new one, that's why I presumed they won't be doing it anymore.

10 hours ago, Sinister said:

I know this chart is made up...but

http://www.mediatraffic.de/alltime-track-chart.htm

http://www.mediatraffic.de/tracks.htm

It's still top 40 on this chart...its truly remarkabable

But I think UF still feels bigger because it was a Cultural Moment which was carried a lot by the aesthetics (Music video and live performances)...ppl were recreating it and making parodies as opposed to SOY which has just been the songs focus

Like all over social media you had gifs of UF and the live performances...so it'll always feel like the larger hit

The only issue here is that We Are The World was certified Quadruple Platinum when songs still needed 2 M in sales to reach Platinum. So, World had 8 M in US physical single sales alone! Since the all-time chart doubles physical singles, World's totals need to be doubled again. That means World is at 16 M in just the US, along with 6.6 M more worldwide, which would be at 22.6 M, even above CITW 97. It's possible though that Media Traffic tripled WATW, as I don't think it was that big outside of the US. 

18 hours ago, Communion said:

Now sis I hope this is you asking if NF had a racism scandal and not asking if he wasn't played cause he's white. :skull:

Just a few months ago, Post was #1 and G-Eazy was #2 on Urban.

Does NF even have any clout in the rap industry? Or is he more a Christian artist who just happens to rap?

If he became famous through his Christian industry association, is it odd that Urban doesn't feel like they know him and don't feel invested into spinning him?

NF is a Christian that raps.  Jim Asker said the reason Let You Down was removed from the Hot Christian Songs Chart after just 1 wk at #1 is because NF no longer wished to be classified as a Christian-only rapper.  Lecrae is a Christian Rapper who also records/releases regular (obviously not profane and/or obscene) rap songs.  So Lecrae has had some crossover success, and even a Grammy nomination in the full Rap field within the last two years.  But, since Lecrae is loyal to his Christian and Gospel fan base, his ability to cross over more at Urban is less than those who don't share his morals/beliefs.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

CHR has been dead for twenty years.  People keep calling pop top hits, when it isn’t and hasn’t been for two decades.

Chr died when the number of radio stations exploded and genres got their own format.  Unfortunately because the pop genre stayed in the former top 40 stations, and rock, country, urban all went to new stations, people still erringly demand that pop stations should be top forty stations.  Even people thst weren’t alive two decades ago fall for the fallacy.

personally I think it’s sorse a station not play a song thst is of thst genre, because well the person isn’t from the genre, and doesn’t more damage ethically, than any damage Payola does.

emotion should be removed when being s 

PD or MD. Play the songs thst fit the genre. If the audience doesn’t like it, stop playing, who what when where why the artist is, is irrelevant.

Yeah. I would like to have a radio station that plays the full gambit of hits, maybe a "Top/Hot 100" station. As @ChartsFan said, Top 40 played some Rock, some Country, some Urban, some Rap, and some Alternative, along with Pop at the turn of the century. Now Top 40 doesn't want to expand much beyond Pop. Sam Hunt peaked at #11 in spins, but significantly lower in audience. The Sound Of Silence barely scraped the Top 40 and the HAC Top 50 charts (the latter of which really disappointed me).  Die A Happy Man, which did decently at HAC and AC (like Girl Crush), likely lost Top 40 support because Nelly released his cover before Rhett had the chance to market his original version to Top 40.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

CHR has been dead for twenty years.  People keep calling pop top hits, when it isn’t and hasn’t been for two decades.

Chr died when the number of radio stations exploded and genres got their own format.  Unfortunately because the pop genre stayed in the former top 40 stations, and rock, country, urban all went to new stations, people still erringly demand that pop stations should be top forty stations.  Even people thst weren’t alive two decades ago fall for the fallacy.

personally I think it’s sorse a station not play a song thst is of thst genre, because well the person isn’t from the genre, and doesn’t more damage ethically, than any damage Payola does.

emotion should be removed when being s 

PD or MD. Play the songs thst fit the genre. If the audience doesn’t like it, stop playing, who what when where why the artist is, is irrelevant.

The issue is that some formats are just more complimentary to one another than others - or should be.

This isn't new or shocking and anyone familiar with radio should know this.

While Top 40 and Rock both aim for 18-34's, Top 40 is significantly more female-aimed than rock, which is heavily male-aimed.

Women basically are the key demo for popular radio. Women 18-34 are modern radio's tastemakers because they're the ones listening to radio the most. Rock's irrelevancy in modern pop culture has nothing to do with people trying to stifle rock, for example, but just that the genre does not appeal to many women (which goes into a whole complex array of issues).

Country, for example, is extremely white, and significantly older than Top 40, and has a more even gender split.

When people call out Top 40 ignoring Urban Contemporary hits, they're explicitly saying it's suspect that hits popular with Urban's 18-34 female audience should easily crossover to Pop/Top 40, especially since Pop/Top 40 is no longer homogeneously white like Rock & Country still are, yet many don't. "Work" going #1 on Rhythmic and Urban but #8 on Top 40 is arguably odd. It was Rihanna. Pop should love her.

Urban, Rhythmic and Top 40 are also connected being the stations of choice for 18-24s in the US:

S242FmF.png

1 minute ago, ChartsFan said:

There were no pop stations,  there were tons of top forty stations, they played almost everything, and there was t really a race divide.  I’m tslking 60 70 d3+@$es here. It didn’t matter what the supremes were or carpenters were race wise,

thrn a split hsponed snd rhythmic rafio spun off.  Top 40 was left the white music. 

So so it’s nit s surprise pop is white as pop took over the old top forty stations.

Thr problem and hypocrisy arises when rhythmic urban defend their turf and don’t want white, but because top forty used to play both three decades ago, it’s expected they still play both.

exceptions of cou4se to eve4y use before someone throws in post Malone as defence to an overall issue.

the pop stations should play pop, no matter who the artist is. Urban should play urban no matter who the artist is. If the music contains the genre of the station, the station should play it. Then it’s the listeners job to listen or change the dial. 

"Turf" :skull:

There are white rappers that are exclusively marketed to other white people.

The issue is that not every song played on Urban is marketed exclusively to black people.

And again, Top 40 isn't marketed solely to white listeners like Rock & Country are.

10 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Why the **** should it be?

....the issue is that Top 40 radio acts like all hits on Urban are only liked by black audiences and wouldn't be enjoyed by their own audience, when many black musicians make music that is enjoyed by all and Top 40's audience isn't a white homogeny anymore.

A user mentioned NF not being played by Urban and you're trying to turn NF not being played on Urban into a claim that Urban is anti-white and that this makes it okay for Top 40 to be anti-black. :skull:

Iggy Azalea has a #4 urban hit. No one is allowed to claim ~Urban Contemporary radio refuses to play white rappers!~. :rip:

Maybe NF just never appealed to the types of people who listen to Urban radio.

However, trying to then go "well maybe people who listen to Top 40 just don't see the appeal of Urban so stop whining when Top 40 ignores Urban hits" falls apart as a claim when we know people like Rihanna, Drake, etc. are hugely popular to everyone and yet Top 40 is still reluctant to blame them as much as other hits.

Edited by Communion

Just now, ChartsFan said:

Actuslly I haven’t mentioned NF at all.  I spoke in genralities thst any genre song should be played on its genre station.

but the main mistake you are still making is this fixation with top 40 stations.  They don’t exist and haven’t for some time for the most part.  There are very few and getting fewer every year catch all hits stations.  There are pop stations though thst play pop influenced music.

of Rihanna releases a song like we found love, pop radio plays it,. If Rihanna releases a song like work, which isn’t really a pop song, but does have some pop elements, then less pop stations play it and it doesn’t do as good on pop.

her race has nothing to do with it. 

This conversation isn't going to go anywhere because you have a hyper-fixation on genres and don't bother addressing that radio stations work to target demographics, to where the lines of genres are blurred enough. Let alone that a genre like Pop consistently changes with time. "Pop" as a genre has never had a concrete definition. 

Again, NF likely just didn't appeal to Urban's demographics, while the white rappers they do play did.

The issue with Rihanna + pop is that the inverse is happening - they're not playing her at the same rate which she is obviously popular with the demographics of pop radio (as evidenced by her success in other metrics).

If anything, Urban is objectively more fair to the white artists who want to be played there (that Iggy Azalea song going to #4 on the format though is one of the most obvious examples of iHeart forcing stations to play records :skull:) than Pop radio is to black artists who even slightly deviate from ideas of pop music that are outdated and PDs failing to adapt to streaming being the most relevant metric of music consumption.

2 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Having worked as an Md for ten years, I can assure you I know how the **** the system works.

And yet you suggested Urban radio was anti-white for not playing white rappers that no black people know. :skull:

The elephant in the room being that you think anti-white racism is an actual thing, which is a whole different wormhole and one this thread shouldn't be subjected to.

11 hours ago, butterflysupreme said:

Yup, SOY was miles bigger.

UF was a hit but SOY was a SMASH

What is this post :rip:

Both were smash hits

butterflysupreme
2 hours ago, Armani? said:

What is this post :rip:

Both were smash hits

Europe honey

The fact that Bebe effortlessly is at no2 on the Hot100 while every single pop female other than Dua, Cabello and Halsey can't even hit top20...

Edited by Mediabase

3 hours ago, butterflysupreme said:

Europe honey

UF was a smash in Europe too :skull: 

3 hours ago, Mediabase said:

The fact that Bebe effortlessly is at no2

FGL’s impact :clap3:

3 hours ago, Mediabase said:

The fact that Bebe effortlessly is at no2 on the Hot100 while every single pop female other than Dua, Cabello and Halsey can't even hit top20...

False

2 hours ago, Enoch said:

FGL’s impact :clap3:

we don’t acknowledge men here sorry

5 hours ago, Mediabase said:

This is weird because Camila's 2 singles off her debut album are both top20 

:cm: