Final: #1 JT 243k/296k

Duca

9 minutes ago, Mattyboy said:

He had a hit. It’s #2 on iTunes. Go check. 

Wasn't iTunes a dead platform?

By the way, SS is doing fine, but not a hit yet.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TattooedDreams

• Duca

• slw84

• Miley Cyrus

52 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

I'm more curious about the second week

tumblr_o41ykkVol81uiziyxo1_400.gif

We need to be more concerned with this disastrous first week 

tumblr_o41ykkVol81uiziyxo1_400.gif

1 hour ago, YR. said:

You can say what you want, i'm sure JT wasn't expecting these numbers even with the sales decline.

Then why didnt Taylor decline. First week sales has always been about the fanbase.

Great numbers for the king :heart2: 

He will do even more with the superbowl

1 hour ago, Henstridge said:

He's over 20 years into his career, and considered a legend already, has no hit single currently, and yet he's still outselling everyone but 5 people :toofunny2:

200.gif

52 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

200.gif

Isn’t that obvious? None of male singers especially last 22 years has got close to him... 

2 hours ago, Lophorina said:

Isn’t that obvious? None of male singers especially last 22 years has got close to him... 

Even if this wasn't a total lie, it still wouldn't make him a legend. There's no such thing as a legend by default. He doesn't have the prerequisites to be one, which is the case for most artists and it's totally fine. He is just an artist who had consistent success for some time. The PR attempts to paint him as anything more are probably the reason why he's the new bandwagon hate target / media punching bag now.

1 minute ago, Truth Teller said:

Even if this wasn't a total lie, it still wouldn't make him a legend. There's no such thing as a legend by default. He doesn't have the prerequisites to be one, which is the case for most artists and it's totally fine. He is just an artist who had consistent success for some time. The PR attempts to paint him as anything more are probably the reason why he's the new bandwagon hate target / media punching bag now.

..sure

3 minutes ago, Henstridge said:

What makes someone a legend then? If it's not the constant impact JT has had on male pop stars? The huge number of classics he has? The longevity?

Exactly 

8 minutes ago, Henstridge said:

What makes someone a legend then? If it's not the constant impact JT has had on male pop stars? The huge number of classics he has? The longevity?

He doesn't have constant impact on anyone. I do remember his sound and image being a mainstay on the inspiration board of white European singers attempting r&b for like a year, a decade ago. Other than that, he hasn't brought anything fresh, new or impactful in the way a legend is supposed to.

His classics are CMAR, possibly Sexyback and maybe in the long run CSTF / RYB could survive as radio fodder. Meh

As for longevity, it depends on how you count it. If it's by years, sure, I guess? If it's by albums (which it should be), he was already struggling to get hits and worldwide sales by his 4th one (or the second part of his 3rd one, if you will), so idk. We'll see how this era turns out I guess? There's cute stuff on the album if the bandwagon doesn't eat away the momentum

I don't consider anyone from his generation a legend btw. Beyonce is the only one getting close with everyone else straggling miles behind the finish line

3 hours ago, Truth Teller said:

200.gif

he clears 2/4 so

Pop music legend- Check

Pop culture legend - Check

Entertainment legend- maybe icon...I'll go for yes 

Music legend - icon could be a legend in the future

2-3 of 4. I'd go for yes he's a light weight legend that'll further cement himself

YgDhC6t.gif 

Edited by slw84

9 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

He doesn't have constant impact on anyone. I do remember his sound and image being a mainstay on the inspiration board of white European singers attempting r&b for like a year, a decade ago. Other than that, he hasn't brought anything fresh, new or impactful in the way a legend is supposed to.

His classics are CMAR, possibly Sexyback and maybe in the long run CSTF / RYB could survive as radio fodder. Meh

As for longevity, it depends on how you count it. If it's by years, sure, I guess? If it's by albums (which it should be), he was already struggling to get hits and worldwide sales by his 4th one (or the second part of his 3rd one, if you will), so idk. We'll see how this era turns out I guess? There's cute stuff on the album if the bandwagon doesn't eat away the momentum

I don't consider anyone from his generation a legend btw. Beyonce is the only one getting close with everyone else straggling miles behind the finish line

He’s impacted plenty male artists this decade including the biggest, Ed Sheeran. Please do your research. I know y’all only know about female pop stars. 

1 minute ago, TattooedDreams said:

He’s impacted plenty male artists this decade including the biggest, Ed Sheeran. Please do your research. I know y’all only know about female pop stars. 

Im gonna need receipts on this one sir :alexz2:

All I remember is people saying "Sing" sounded Timberlake-esque in the chorus, but that was false. It sounds like Pharrell, if anything

3 minutes ago, TattooedDreams said:

I don’t understand why so many people is trying to discredit him and his achievements...

16 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

He doesn't have constant impact on anyone. I do remember his sound and image being a mainstay on the inspiration board of white European singers attempting r&b for like a year, a decade ago.

And even that was modelled on Usher :rip: 

1 minute ago, Henstridge said:

People who cited JT as one of their influences: 

-Ed Sheeran

-Justin Bieber

-Shawn Mendes

-Charlie Puth

-The 1D boys

and that's just off top of my head, these are basically the most successful pop boys of the last decade, and they were all influenced by JT :cm: 

What a respected list of talented artists

1 minute ago, Henstridge said:

"I love 'Justified' and 'FutureSex/LoveSounds, so I took inspiration from those

So... he was inspired by the sound of these 2 albums... which is pretty much the sound Pharrell, Timbaland, Danja and co. were already working on before JT ever got in the picture? And even during that era, they were doing the exact same sound, structure and vibe with other artists (especially Nelly) without Timberlake's involvement? Sure... if that's the biggest possible receipt on Timberlake's impact...

3 minutes ago, Henstridge said:

Forgot to mention that he also made the Times 100 most influential people twice, once in 2007 and once in 2013

And Stevie Wonder did his one in 2013 and said marvelous things. Poor OJHs and their separation from reality. 

54 minutes ago, Henstridge said:

Who's even talking about that, what?

We're talking about people that cited JT as their influence, and Ed is one of those people, he didn't say Pharrell and Timba inspired him, he said JT did 

No, he didn't. Timberlake's name is outside of the quote. He said he was inspired by those 2 albums aka Pharrell's sound and Timabaland and his team's mid 2000's sound, respectively. As for Time 100, it's a PR thing. Christina made it in her worst performing era with a fabulous article by Celine Dion. I place no credence in it

Timberlake was one of the most prominent male artists of that decade, no question about that. If we move Usher to the r&b stars list, he's probably the most prominent male popstar of that decade (except if I'm forgetting someone). And that's great. Can we leave it at that? Cause no matter what soundbites you give me of artists of Shawn Mendes' calibre saying vaguely positive things about him, he's still absolutely not on the same pedestal as MJ, Prince, Madonna, Whitney and co. And he never will be. And neither will most of his peers, including the ones I actually like

8 hours ago, YungRapunxeI said:

But he’s the king of pop. Why didn’t he do 600k+ SPS? 

except he is not the king of pop...people throw silly titles easily....

15 minutes ago, www said:

except he is not the king of pop...people throw silly titles easily....

teaaaaa

he's performing to 100+ million people. If he doesn't get more than 500k, it was a waste of a spotlight. The era/album is bad though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.