Pol McCutie

Films you watched recently

AvrilLaQueen
9 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

Lili Reinhart's Hustlers is on Amazon Prime! Maybe something good came out of this quarantine after all :jonny5:

@AvrilLaQueen @Walk_Away21

more movie directors and producers about to see Lili's talent and start booking her in big budget movies :jonny5:

StrangerInTheDark

The Place Beyond The Pines :!ohno:

I had no idea movie was split into 3 acts like this, it was so unexpected when it moved from Act 1 to Act 2 

StrangerInTheDark
17 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

The win was well deserved and you will deal! 

Was it really? She was more qualified for Supporting Actress. I feel like Bradley's character was more deserving. 

StrangerInTheDark

Hudson Hawk

The Craft - it was cool, Charmed meets Mean Girls, I expected more tbh

Ghost - lol I expected some kind of erotic thriller with her loving a ghost or something, poster is really misleading, it was actually fun drama. 

Passengers - I don't understand why critics ruined this movie and its box office potential. I just wish it lasted 20 minutes longer, ending was abrupt, I wish they showed more of them growing old. I love how much it resembles Futurama's series finale. Chris and JLaw had such a great chemistry in it, I love movie, I know it's not award winning one like The Martian for example, but it didn't deserve to be trashed like that. It was visually stunning too. It was made to be blockbuster , not everything has to be deep and serious in space. 

Cherry123
Posted (edited)

Some standouts  I watched in the quarantine (All at least an 8 out of 10)

Spoiler

The Adventures of Prince Achmed - Carl Koch & Lotte Reineger (1926) / Animated/Silent

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - F.W. Muranu (1927) / Drama/Silent

Gold Diggers of 1933 - Mervyn Leroy (1933) / Comedy/Musical

The Scarlet Empress - Josef von Sternberg (1934) /Drama/History

Stagecoach - John Ford (1939) / Western

Lola Montes - Max Ophuls (1955) / Drama

The Cranes Are Flying - Mikhail Kalatozov (1957) / Drama/War

Breathless - Jean-Luc Godard (1960) / Drama

Contempt - Jean-Luc Godard (1963) / Drama

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - Jacques Demy (1964) / Musical

Repulsion - Roman Polanski (1965) / Horror

Daisies - Věra Chytilová (1966) / Comedy/Experimental

Wanda - Barbara Loden (1970) A must watch / Drama 

The Boy Friend - Ken Russell (1971) / Musical

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant - Rainer Fassbinder (1972) / Drama

The Godfather - Francis Ford Coppola (1972) / Drama

Badlands - Terrence Malick (1973) / Drama

The Holy Mountain - Alejandro Jodorowsky (1973) / Fantasy

The Godfather Part II - Francis Ford Coppola (1974) / Drama

3 Women - Robert Altman (1977) / Drama / Psychological

The Ascent - Larisa Chepitko (1977) / Drama/War

One Sings, the Other Doesn't - Agnes Varda (1977) / Drama

Fanny and Alexander - Ingmar Bergman (1982) / Drama

Grave of The Fireflies - Isao Takahata (1988) / Animated

Farewell, My Concubine - Chen Kaige (1993) / Drama

Safe - Todd Haynes (1995) / Drama

Poetry - Lee Chang-Dong (2010) / Drama

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - Apichatpong Weerasethakul (2010) / Drama

The Wind Rises - Hayao Miyazaki (2013) / Animated

And, why not, some bad or overrated films as a warning

Spoiler

All That Heaven Allows - Douglas Sirk (1955)

Alfie - Lewis Gilbert (1966)

Masculine Feminine - Jean-Luc Godard (1966)

Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment (1966)

The Damned - Luchino Visconti (1969)

Donkey Skin - Jacques Demy (1970)

The Night Porter - Liliana Cavani (1974)

La Ceremonie - Claude Chabrol (1995)

Mommy - Xavier Dolan (2014) 

Edited by Cherry123

StrangerInTheDark

Last 7 days

Meet Joe Black - potential was there, but in the end it dragged forever. First two hours could've been fit into 1,5h and last hour could've been turned into 30 minutes for 2h long movie instead of 3 hours...

Lars and the real Girl - amazing movie. So emotional. I love how this topic was explored, it was exploited for cheap jokes. 

Crazy Stupid Love - it was fun, felt more like a drama than comedy.

Revenge - Madeline Stowe was such a bomb, movie overall was ok.

Cape Fear - frustrating movie, I hate when lead actors are stupid af like dad was here. The actress who played daughter was amazing, overall ending was exciting, I finally got the Simpsons references lol

One False Move - this was ok crime drama, I thought this was thriller so I came here expecting more exciting things, but script was god, actors were great, great  movie for lovers of crime dramas.

Bandits - This was such a surprsie, unexpectedly great movie. Cast was amazing, especially Cate Blanchet who was stunning here. I love the music used, i loved aesthetics of the movie, it was such a fun watch. Probably my favorite Bruce Willis movie after 12 Monkeys and The Sixth Sense.

American Hustle - I don't know how I ended up watching 3 crime movies in a row lol this was  so boring oh my god, I came here only for J Law for her to end up being filler charterer with like 15 minutes screen time. 

IlianVargas
9 hours ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

Lars and the real Girl - amazing movie. So emotional. I love how this topic was explored, it was exploited for cheap jokes. 

:clap3:

Cherry123

Juliet of The Spirits (1965) by Federico Fellini 

★★★★

julietofthespirits4.jpg

dussel_06

Foreign Films Lately:

Bacurau - 10/10

Wild Tales - 9.5/10

Sleep Tight - 10/10

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - 9/10

The Farewell - 8/10

Pain and Glory - 10/10

English Films:

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - 9/10

Sorry We Missed you - 8/10

Wikipedia

Just finished watching inception

Cool ideas and scenery, corny dialogue

felt like it was going on for ages

a solid 7/10

Aristocrat

Been doing nothing but watching movies upon movies lately. Here's a list of some I've enjoyed. They're very random and all over the place but...

• Ma
  • Yesterday
  • Instant Family
  • Boy Erased
  • Onward
  • Parasite
  • Good Boys
  • Just Mercy
  • Please Stand By
  • BlackKklansman
  • To Die For
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • The Lovebirds

Aristocrat
On 4/29/2020 at 5:07 AM, Kingpin said:

Onward. Was OK the dad's legs were pretty hot ngl

:deadbanana4:

I also kinda found the dad hot I must say..... :toofunny2: he gave me John Krasinski vibes

StrangerInTheDark

Closet Land - the weirdest movie ever, what was that??

Half Nelson - amazing performance by Gosling but movie was a bit boring

The Saint - bland and boring, great idea for a movie, badly done.

The jackal - Richard Gere was so useless in this movie, and that accent :biblio: Bruce was great villain, but not a lot happened in this movie.

ReverseWarholian

The Lovebirds was qt. 

Aristocrat

Watched both Maleficent movies the past two nights and loved them both a lot. Visually stunning. Angelina was amazing in the role. Elle was very cute. Both were really good, especially if you enjoy Disney films. 

StrangerInTheDark

Babel - it was good, always nice to watch something different

The Nice Guys - HOW ON EARTH WAS THIS FLOP  AT BOX OFFICE??? Why is Ryan such a box office poison? This movie was bloody amazing. Not only the best buddy cop/neo-noir crime movie I have ever seen, but it was also the funniest since Mean Girls. Chemistry between them all (including daughter, I usually hate seeing kids in movies and shows, but here everything was perfect), writing, natural humor. Easily my favorite Gosling movie as of now. Non stop action, twists and turns, comedy, all packed in less than 2 hours, it flew by. Why are always terrible and stupid movies successful and movies like this one are not? We were robbed of sequel.

These killed me :dies:

the nice guys | Tumblr Nice Guys Gifs Search | Search & Share on Homdor

RunUpDoneUp

MV5BZmM5Yjg3YjItNDJlNC00MzJiLTkyM2MtOGIx

This movie made me mad af, the levels of dumb on the gay boys' scale got me. The gay girl was on point though and her friend. I stanned them but this movie made me tired, not in the good way that a film exploring religiosity, homosexuality and the social norms of the religious towards the gays would normally if done well. This was a movie made for christian gays, maybe they'd like it but as an atheist this came off condescending towards them if anything, ffs.

Would not recommend.

Aristocrat

Ready or Not was really good. I'm not usually one for anything any bit scary, but it was really fun. More thriller than horror. And very campy which made it funny, too.

Quicksand
On 5/23/2020 at 11:54 PM, Aristocrat said:

Been doing nothing but watching movies upon movies lately. Here's a list of some I've enjoyed. They're very random and all over the place but...

• Ma
  • Yesterday
  • Instant Family
  • Boy Erased
  • Onward
  • Parasite
  • Good Boys
  • Just Mercy
  • Please Stand By
  • BlackKklansman
  • To Die For
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • The Lovebirds

If you've read it, was The Art of Racing in the Rain good compared to the book? I read it years ago but I remember LOVING it so I want the movie to serve just as much :mandown:

Aristocrat
1 minute ago, Quicksand said:

If you've read it, was The Art of Racing in the Rain good compared to the book? I read it years ago but I remember LOVING it so I want the movie to serve just as much :mandown:

Sorry, I haven't read the book! I was searching the movie title on Twitter to see what people were saying, and saw a couple of tweets of people saying they read the book and then loved the movie too, if that helps. The movie was very sweet. 

Quicksand
8 minutes ago, Aristocrat said:

Sorry, I haven't read the book! I was searching the movie title on Twitter to see what people were saying, and saw a couple of tweets of people saying they read the book and then loved the movie too, if that helps. The movie was very sweet. 

Thanks! I'll probably give it a shot soon cause it's been on my list for a little while now :party:

StrangerInTheDark

China Moon - nice 90s thriller, nothing more

Joy - this was actually good. I was not excited to watch it after I started my JLaw binge, since everyone here hated it. And after I saw trailer I don't know how I thought it was another crime drama like American Hustle :rip: I guess I should stop watching trailer since all I got from it is that lol the whole time I expected movie to turn into mob crime movie, I will rank it high when I update my list in my thread:

Jawbreaker - this was also nice, I feel like this should be essential 90s/highschool movie for everyone into those things. Rose was OG mean girl. It didn't go far as I think it should've but never mind. 

PieceBy
On 5/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, StrangerInTheDark said:

Joy - this was actually good. I was not excited to watch it after I started my JLaw binge, since everyone here hated it. And after I saw trailer I don't know how I thought it was another crime drama like American Hustle :rip: I guess I should stop watching trailer since all I got from it is that lol the whole time I expected movie to turn into mob crime movie, I will rank it high when I update my list in my thread:

I'm glad you liked it. I really like this movie. The cast, how the camera works, the soundtrack, every aspect of it. It's very underrated. 

StrangerInTheDark
Posted (edited)

Donnie Darko - already expressed my opinion in other thread, gonna watch Director's Cut to get the full picture. 

The Prestige - Wow, this was great. It's been a while since I've watched movie without looking at the clock, it was that exciting. Although I find Hugh Jackman very unlikable. And the twist wasn't really mind-blowing like everyone was hyping it.

La La Land - definitely overrated. Not something I would watch f Ryan wasn't in it. I'm glad they went for sad ending because it's actually what makes you think about the movie when it's over. Emma Stone is really unlikable to me. I don't understand how come she won Oscar for Best Actress for this? Payola for sure. Was Weinstein exposed at the time? City of STars is still stuck in my head tho... Overall nice watch, but didn't deserve all the hype it got... Ryan had 1000 times better movie that year that deserved all the glory. 

Nancy Drew - I know it's kid movie, but I enjoyed it. I wish I watched it when I was at least 15 years younger. 

Killing Them Softly - so continuing my Brad Pitt journey with worst possible way. This is really not my cup of tea. It was sooooo boring. Oh my god. 

Agent Cody Banks - Another kid movie I wanted to watch for a while because I love Malcolm in the Middle. Cute. Like I said for Nancy Drew I wish I watched it 15 years ago or something...

Edited by StrangerInTheDark
Edited

RideOrDie

Shutter Island

Memento

Winter's Bone

The Social Network

The Invisible Man

Miss Harry Potter Goblet Of Fire rewatched for the 20th time