Actresses used sex to get roles, Sir Ian McKellen says

madmen

BRITISH stage and screen star Sir Ian McKellen says women are partly responsible for the sexual misconduct scandal engulfing Hollywood. 

In a talk at the Oxford Union, Sir Ian said actresses in the 1960s pitching for work would write DRR — director’s rights respected — on their headshots as a coded offer of sex for parts.

The 78-year-old veteran was responding to a request from the packed audience on December 4 for his take on the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Sir Ian McKellen says women traditionally used sex to get acting parts.

“People must be called out and it’s sometimes very difficult for victims to do that,’ the Lord Of The Rings star told the audience. “I hope we’re going through a period that will help to eradicate it altogether. But from my own experience, when I was starting acting in the early Sixties, the director of the theatre I was working at showed me some photographs he got from women who were wanting jobs ... some of them had at the bottom of their photograph ‘DRR’ — directors’ rights respected. In other words, if you give me a job, you can have sex with me.

“That was commonplace from people who proposed that they should be a victim. Madness. People have taken advantage of that and encouraged it and it absolutely will not do.”

Despite his support for victims coming forward, the six-time Olivier Award-winner, 78, admitted he was worried about the impact of wrongful accusations. “I assume nothing but good will come out of these revelations, even though some people get wrongly accused — there’s that side of it as well.”

Sir Ian worked with Kevin Spacey in 2004, when Spacey was artistic director at the Old Vic in London. , Sir Ian, added the timing of Spacey’s own coming out was not ideal.

‘The circumstances in which he chose to do it are reprehensible because it linked alleged underage sex with a declaration of sexuality.’

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrities-gone-bad/actresses-use-sex-to-get-roles-sir-ian-mckellen-says/news-story/c32c5e8ea8cf59347a7fcee7a4bf0de2

:celestial2:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, is that what inspired him to get in bed with Bryan Singer, Kevin Spacey and friends and to do the exact same thing? Sir Ian will be exposed soon as well.

Bad Decisions
2 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Let’s be honest, I would to. 

Same tbh. Heck I'm willing to sleep with anyone right now for a better job.

‘The circumstances in which he chose to do it are reprehensible because it linked alleged underage sex with a declaration of sexuality.’

My thoughts exactly;

but anyway, I don't see the problem with him pointing out what happened at the start of his career in the 60's, he's not saying it's happening now, and approves of the current revelations re: misconduct..

The title is incorrect.

cypriotpcdfan

Y'all really think this was happening in the 60s but it's not happening NOW? Especially with how society has evolved and became more sexually accepting? :rip: 

This thread proves his point. 2 people already said they'd sleep their way to a job.The only difference is that those 2 people in here aren't famous. If they do sleep their way into a better career, and then the guy that they slept with, for better opportunities, was exposed, they would backtrack and call it sexual harassment to save face and get with the program. USE YOUR LOGIC people and understand the point. 

people thinking that it's not happening today... :skull:

when the sexual freedom and environment it's much more liberal today :skull:

and thinking that it's not even worse today than in it was in the past :skull:

I believe that however it doesn't in anyway excuse the abuse that's occurred. Furthermore, Ian should ask himself why girls feel like they have to do that to secure parts :michael: 

• #FreeBritney Activist
8 minutes ago, cypriotpcdfan said:

Y'all really think this was happening in the 60s but it's not happening NOW? Especially with how society has evolved and became more sexually accepting? :rip: 

This thread proves his point. 2 people already said they'd sleep their way to a job.The only difference is that those 2 people in here aren't famous. If they do sleep their way into a better career, and then the guy that they slept with, for better opportunities, was exposed, they would backtrack and call it sexual harassment to save face and get with the program. USE YOUR LOGIC people and understand the point. 

Um. Just because sex is on offer, doesn't mean the director must cast that person. That is a CHOICE.

It's the CHOICES these men make, that are an abuse of power. 

This old fart makes no point at all. A director should do their job and cast based on talent - not personal favors/services, This is still systemic misogyny and abuse of power. Yes, some women/men are willing to sleep for roles, but it's the casting directors that hold the power in this situation. 

He's not lying, BUT I wish he hadn't said this in the context of his thoughts on the Weinstein mess. It makes it seem like he's saying "well Weinstein did bad things, but woman used to sleep for roles too!!!"

2 minutes ago, Ryann said:

I believe that however it doesn't in anyway excuse the abuse that's occurred. Furthermore, Ian should ask himself why girls feel like they have to do that to secure parts :michael: 

!!!!

why do I feel like he’s going to be exposed or something and use this excuse

cypriotpcdfan
15 minutes ago, FOCK said:

Um. Just because sex is on offer, doesn't mean the director must cast that person. That is a CHOICE.

It's the CHOICES these men make, that are an abuse of power. 

This old fart makes no point at all. A director should do their job and cast based on talent - not personal favors/services, This is still systemic misogyny and abuse of power. 

Yes, you are absolutely correct. And you yourself said that it's a CHOICE. And the woman has a CHOICE to not offer her body or dignity to further her career. 

He isn't saying that men aren't at fault or aren't abusing their power. He says that some women offer their bodies to furhter their career, and then backtrack and claim sexual harassment to save face. It's not black and white. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions. 

16 minutes ago, Can't_M!ss_This said:

There’s no story here. I encourage people to read, at least what’s in the OP, before commenting. 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

people thinking that it's not happening today... :skull:

when the sexual freedom and environment it's much more liberal today :skull:

and thinking that it's not even worse today than in it was in the past :skull:

I'm not saying I don't think it's happening to day, i'm merely saying it was not mentioned in this piece. I hate when people on this site make assumptions to make them selves seem smarter on this site. :lipton: The title is still misleading as per the piece, as he didn't directly say so.

SweetSassySinner

Shame on you for trying to twist his words for a thread. This is why accusations and calling men out get looked over because people also attack men who aren’t even the source of the problem. 

Archived