alexanderao's Guide To Airplay | updated 10/28/17

alexanderao

Click the spoiler to see my piece on the Christmas freeze.

Spoiler

What Is The Christmas Freeze, What Does It Affect, and Why?

Written on December 11, 2014

Revised and updated on December 15, 2015

I'm writing this post because I think a lot of ATRL members are confused over not only what the Christmas freeze is, but also what songs it will affect and how it will affect them. Before I delve deep into the investigation, let's remind ourselves what the freeze is (from my brief definition below in the Glossary):

Christmas freeze - A period of time from late December to very early January when the vast majority of songs will stall because of the addition of holiday-themed songs to radio stations' playlists as well as the playing of stations' year-end countdowns (which cause older songs that were big hits during the year to increase and current songs to stall because they are not getting played as much). Often referred to simply as the freeze.

Let's examine the two major factors that cause the Christmas freeze to occur.

1) Christmas music. As Christmas Day approaches, most radio stations will begin to exponentially play more Christmas and holiday-related music. On AC radio, the switch to a full-on Christmas playlist can occur as early as late November, but AC is the exception to the rule for holiday songs. Most pop and HAC stations flip to a playlist with at least some Christmas music roughly one week before Christmas. However, this is not exact, and some stations may very well begin on December 15 or December 22.

So which songs are most adversely affected by the addition of Christmas songs to pop stations' playlists? The ones that are already getting played a lot or the ones that are just starting?

A station can only play so many songs per week, because it has to air a certain amount of commercials. So when Christmas music invades a pop radio station's playlist, it cuts into that amount. Imagine a station playing 1000 songs per week normally. At the beginning of the freeze, 900 of those might be regular pop songs and 100 holiday songs. But how can one tell whether the Christmas music is eating into the plays of the current hits (#1-#10 on the pop radio chart) or the plays of the fastest-rising hits (usually below #15)?

Let's examine some data from the 2013 freeze. On December 15, before the start of the freeze for most pop stations, here were the highest bullets for songs below #10:

Burn 1651

Say Something 1634

Team 1405

Story Of My Life 1126

Let Her Go 1051

And the bullets of the top 5 songs on pop radio:

The Monster 1974

Counting Stars 2184

Demons 43

Timber 1948

Wake Me Up -812

Let's see what happened to each song as the freeze took effect.

Bullets on December 24

Timber 2299 (+351)

Burn 1344 (-307) (-19%)

Team 1223 (-182) (-13%)

Say Something 1134 (-500) (-31%)

Story Of My Life 765 (-361) (-32%)

Let Her Go 729 (-322) (-31%)

Counting Stars 632 (-1552) (-71%)

The Monster 384 (-1590) (-81%)

Demons -356 (-399) (-90%)

Wake Me Up -951 (-139) (-17%)

Timber performed exceptionally well during the freeze and I consider it to be an outlier. Only the strongest pop radio hits can stay unaffected by the addition of Christmas music to playlists.

If we look at the changes in the songs' bullets, we notice that the songs that were hurt the most were the ones that were already on top and thus closer to peaking than the rising songs (although all of the rising songs were significantly affected as well). When songs approach their peak, their bullet dwindles anyway, and the freeze amplifies this effect by giving stations another reason to stop playing them. Another reason this happens is because the songs getting more plays on pop radio have more plays for Christmas songs to take away from them. The rising hits are less affected not only because the stations are not yet tired of playing them, but also because there are simply less plays to lose.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the songs that are affected most by the addition of Christmas and holiday-themed songs to pop radio playlists are the songs that are the highest on the pop radio chart or are very close to peaking.

It turns out that every single one of the rising hits in this investigation went on to become a top 10 pop radio hit (only Let Her Go missed the top 5, but it hit #1 on HAC radio). There are very few cases where a song completely loses momentum during the freeze and never recovers.

2) Year-end countdowns. This is the second aspect of the Christmas freeze and is the reason why it lingers into early January. During the last week of December and the first week of January, the vast majority of stations will compile year-end lists (a Top 100 Songs is common) and play them in full on air multiple times. The effects of these countdowns make the Christmas freeze less straightforward and all the more interesting.

Because these countdowns are meant to encompass the whole year, many songs that have long since had their run on pop radio often make large gains during late December and early January. The bigger the song was, the more likely it is to be included on a station's countdown (and therefore more stations will play it), and the greater its gains will likely be.

For the rising songs that usually dodge the bullet of the holiday songs, the year-end countdowns throw a wrench into the equation. Usually, these songs will stall or decrease because they are not included in the countdowns.

Let's examine some more data from the 2013 freeze. Here are the 9 fastest-rising songs on December 26, after which holiday songs are generally not played anymore:

Fastest-Rising, Dec. 26

Dark Horse 1641

XO 1376

Timber 1030

Team 911

Pompeii 838

Say Something 762

Burn 754

Young Girls 644

Story Of My Life 462

Notice how those bullets have all decreased because of the holiday songs?

Here are some bullets of some of the biggest hits of 2013, which are likely to be played on the 2013 year-end countdowns:

Older Songs, Dec. 26

Radioactive 145

When I Was Your Man 111

We Can't Stop 40

Blurred Lines 1

Mirrors -15

Thrift Shop -123

Summertime Sadness -207

Holy Grail -262

Safe And Sound -301

Hold On, We're Going Home -830

Notice how none of these bullets don't indicate anything except for minor fluctuations with an overall slightly negative trend, which is extremely common for songs that are well past their peak. (except for HOWGH, which was not well past its peak)

Here are their bullets on January 4, 2014:

Dark Horse 1556 (-85)

XO 934 (-442)

Young Girls 902 (+258)

Team 568 (-343)

Pompeii 552 (-286)

Say Something 458 (-304)

Burn 447 (-307)

Story Of My Life 344 (-118)

Timber 275 (-755)

Safe And Sound 490 (+791)

Mirrors 416 (+431)

Summertime Sadness 372 (+579)

Thrift Shop 346 (+469)

When I Was Your Man 272 (+161)

Blurred Lines 221 (+220)

Holy Grail 159 (+421)

Radioactive 150 (+5)

We Can't Stop 115 (+75)

Hold On, We're Going Home -122 (+708)

All of the songs that were big in 2013 got huge boosts! It's radio's way of paying tribute to the big hits, and it comes at the expense of the rising songs. The songs from earlier in the year tend to steal plays from the newer, rising hits that are put on hold for two weeks.

The list of bullets on Jan. 4 actually contains two very interesting cases: Young Girls and XO. Like most Bruno Mars songs, Young Girls increased at a frenetic pace for most of its run, and the freeze didn't seem to affect it at all, but it ended up peaking just inside the top 10 for a few days. XO was one of the few songs that I actually believe the freeze had an effect on. It was a monster before the freeze, and after the freeze it never got its mojo back and its bullet steadily decreased until it peaked well outside of the top 10.

Anyways, I can confidently state that the songs affected the most by the year-end countdowns are the rising songs and older songs that were big hits during the year but are well past their peak. The rising songs will stall and/or decrease and the older songs will surge.

Because of the combined effect of the holiday songs and the year-end countdowns, most songs on the pop radio chart can expect to suffer from the freeze. It is very rare that a song is affected by both (the song would probably have to be a song that was surging in late Nov./early Dec. but had since slowed down). The two types of songs that benefit from the freeze are holiday songs and old songs that were big earlier in the year.

Examining 2014 data shows similar trends. In fact, the Christmas freeze starts well before the 12/26 cutoff that I used in my 2013 investigation, so we'll use 12/20 here. Here is a list of the fastest-gaining songs on December 20, 2014:

The Hanging Tree 2669

Uptown Funk! 1831

Love Me Harder 1740

Take Me To Church 1455

Thinking Out Loud 1276

The Heart Wants What It Wants 1245

I'm Not The Only One 1213

Stuck On A Feeling 1071

Blank Space 1067

Lips Are Movin 862

Let's take a look at how those bullets were doing on New Year's Day, 2015 (12 days later):

Thinking Out Loud 963 (-313)

The Hanging Tree 477 (-2,192)

Love Me Harder 403 (-1,337)

Stuck On A Feeling 264 (-807)

Uptown Funk! 207 (-1,624)

The Heart Wants What It Wants -149 (-1,394)

Take Me To Church -171 (-1,626)

Lips Are Movin -195 (-1,057)

I'm Not The Only One -207 (-1,420)

Blank Space -1036 (-2,103)

Blank Space could have had an even higher peak on pop radio if the freeze didn't happen to hit right at its peak. It still ended up peaking with 20,342 spins on all stations pop radio, though. Remember that the songs affected the most by the year-end countdowns are at their peaks or climbing quickly; BS was both. The other quick-rising songs all continued to increase (with the amounts they increased by varying, as The Hanging Tree petered out incredibly quickly and Take Me To Church surging to #2 in February). Thus, we can conclude that the freeze has little effect on a rising song's performance after the freeze; it depends much more on whether the song was going to become a hit in the first place. Meanwhile, TOL's good hold is due to its remarkable strength as a radio hit; we're all familiar with its excellent longevity on all metrics. The bottom line is that if a song is well on its way to becoming huge on pop radio, the freeze will do nothing to prevent it from getting there.

Glossary of Radio Terms and Phrases

AAA - Adult Album Alternative, a format that plays alternative music (and on rare occasions, pop). Known for playing album tracks frequently, it is the smallest format in the United States. Also known as "triple A."

Add - When a station adds a song to their playlist. The amount of adds a song gets when it goes for adds on a format is often a good indicator of how the song will do on that format. See "send for adds."

Adds date - The day on which a song is sent for adds. Depending on the format, these are either Mondays or Tuesdays. Click the spoiler for more info.

Spoiler

Monday
HAC
AC
AAA
Country

Tuesday
Pop
Rhythmic
Urban
Alternative

Abbreviations - Each radio format has a (usually) three-letter abbreviation. Notable ones include:
ALT = alternative
RHY = rhythmic
COU = country
URB = urban
UAC = urban AC

Adult contemporary - A radio format that mostly plays older classics, but occasionally plays top 40 hits. This format is even more laid back than HAC, and mostly plays slower, downtempo songs instead of rap or dance. This format is almost exclusively referred to as AC. For obvious reasons, only relatively current hits are allowed to chart on the AC chart.

Airplay-fueled - A term used to describe a song where most of the song's Hot 100 chart points are coming from airplay. 

AI - Abbreviation for "audience impression." See "impression."

AllAccess - An online website for all things airplay: radio news, charts, forums, and more can be found here. Affiliated with Mediabase, the site displays the daily Mediabase charts and is also often used to find adds dates (as these are frequently updated under the "Future Releases" section).

All Stations - All of the radio stations of a particular format, as opposed to a selected panel. See "published."

American Top 40 - A nationally syndicated countdown radio station hosted by Ryan Seacrest that is broadcast every Sunday morning on every ClearChannel top 40 station in the United States. The published + recurrents Mediabase charts are used for the American Top 40. Songs played on the countdown will receive higher updates the following Monday because of the national exposure. It is often referred to as AT40.

Big Four - A term that I coined and use to refer to the four biggest formats: pop, HAC, rhythmic, and urban.

Bipolar - A bipolar song is a song that often fluctuates. It might get a positive update one day, and then a negative update the next, and then a positive update the next.

Bullet - The change in spins from 1 week ago to today. For example, if a song has 8,000 spins one week ago and 8,750 today, its bullet would be +750 (often written simply as 750). If instead it had 7,750 spins today, its bullet would be -250.

Callout scores - A term that refers to radio listeners' reception of a song. To obtain these scores, respondents (radio listeners) are contacted randomly by phone and asked to share their opinion of different songs. Online surveys (at RateTheMusic, which make no impact on the overall Mediabase callout scores and are unrelated) are also conducted. The surveys ask if you are familiar with a song, like it (or love it), and if you are tired of it.
*Note that RateTheMusic is NOT a Mediabase service, but does influence radio stations' playlists.

*Note also that songs must reach a familiarity threshold of 60% before they can appear on Mediabase callout reports.

CBS Radio - A branch of CBS which owns hundreds of radio stations throughout the United States, most notably the AMP Radio network. Unlike ClearChannel stations, these stations tend to lean towards rhythmic and dance rather than pop.

CHR - An abbreviation for "contemporary hit radio." Just another way to say pop radio. See "pop."

Christmas freeze - A period of time from late December to very early January when the vast majority of songs will stall because of the addition of holiday-themed songs to radio stations' playlists as well as the playing of stations' year-end countdowns (which cause older songs that were big hits during the year to increase and current songs to stall because they are not getting played as much). Often referred to simply as the freeze.

ClearChannel/iHeartCommunications, Inc. - An American advertising and marketing company that owns hundreds of radio stations throughout the United States, most notably the Kiss network. Also the owners of iHeartRadio. In September 2014, ClearChannel changed its name to iHeartCommunications, Inc., and CC Media Holdings, the holding company of iHeartCommunications, changed its name to iHeartMedia, Inc.

Crossover - To chart on multiple formats. A crossover hit or multiformat hit is a song that does well on multiple formats.

Deal - A radio deal is when a song receives guaranteed spins on certain radio stations. The agreement is negotiated by the record label and a radio company that owns stations (ClearChannel, for example)

Freefall - When a song that has already peaked begins to fall down a chart at a rapid pace.

Format - A type of radio station. For example, Pop and Urban are both formats, and they play mostly pop and urban music, respectively. Each format has its own chart, and each format is a different size (has a different number of stations).

Gold - A special type of recurrent on Mediabase airplay charts, achieved when a song has spent a certain amount of time on a format (depending on the format, this length of time can be anywhere between two and three years). When a song achieves Gold status on a format, it is purged permanently from that format's chart. Perhaps the most prominent example of a Gold song is Miguel's Adorn on Urban AC.

Hot adult contemporary - A format that mixes current pop hits with older hits. This format will almost never play rap or EDM songs, as it is meant to be "easy listening." This format is abbreviated as and is almost exclusively referred to as HAC.

iHeartMedia, Inc. - See ClearChannel.

iHeartRadio On The Verge - A common, sometimes effective radio deal that gets new artists' songs played frequently on many iHeartCommunications (ClearChannel) stations. Songs that have benefited from this deal include Ed Sheeran's Sing and Aloe Blacc's The Man. Click the spoiler to see a more complete (but still incomplete) list.

Spoiler

Aloe Blacc - The Man
Iggy Azalea - Fancy f/Charli XCX
Rixton - Me And My Broken Heart
Ed Sheeran - Sing
Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High)
Katy Tiz - The Big Bang
Nick Jonas - Jealous
Ella Henderson - Ghost
Hoodie Allen - All About It f/Ed Sheeran
Prince Royce - Stuck On A Feeling
Natalie La Rose - Somebody f/Jeremih
Tori Kelly - Nobody Love
Nate Ruess - Nothing Without Love
Kaya Stewart - In Love With A Boy
Conrad Sewell - Hold Me Up
James Bay - Let It Go
Kent Jones - Don't Mind
Lukas Graham - 7 Years
ZAYN - Like I Would
Hailee Steinfeld - Love Myself

SZA - The Weekend

Impression - When a song is heard on a radio station. An impression does not have to be unique to count towards a song's total. For example, 5 million impressions for a song could actually be 1 million people each hearing it 5 times.

Inflation - When audience impression figures are higher than they likely really are. 

Mediabase - A music stats company that compiles radio charts. All Kworb and American Top 40 charts are made using Mediabase data. 

Mix network - A group of HAC stations owned by CBS Radio.

Nielsen - A music stats company that compiles radio charts. Nielsen overall AI data is used for the Hot 100. It is generally lower than Mediabase AI numbers.

Overall - Cumulative across all formats a song is charting on. For example, if a song has 50M AI on pop and 20M on rhythmic, its overall AI is 70M.

Panel adjustment - When a format's panel of radio stations undergoes a change. This could be anything from new stations joining the panel to AI numbers for the panel being adjusted for accuracy.

Payola - The suspicion that an artist or record label is paying stations to play a song. This word usually carries a negative and accusatory connotation. See "deal."

Peak - A song's best mark in any category. For example, Royals' spin peak is 19,009 spins.

Pop - The largest and most important radio format, playing top 40 music.

Published panel - A panel of radio stations that have been selected as stations that best represent a certain format. Each format has a published chart as well as an all stations chart, and the published chart only uses data from stations on the published panel. See "all stations."

Recurrent - A song that is removed from a format's chart due to it spending a large amount of time on that chart. Recurrent charts include recurrents, and therefore do not remove any songs from their charts.

Rhythmic - A format that generally plays a mix of pop, rap, and R&B music.

Rolling effect - When a song has a very large first-day update on radio, seven days later it will likely receive a very large negative update on all formats. This is because a song's spins are measured in 7-day periods, so when that first day does not count anymore the total spins will drastically decrease. The rolling effect is almost never harmful to the overall performance of a song.

The glossary is continued in the next post.

Glossary continued

Saturday Night Online - An interactive radio show hosted by DJ Romeo that airs nationwide on Saturday nights on ClearChannel top 40 stations. Songs played on the show tend to increase the next day in audience and spins due to the nationwide exposure.

Second wind - When a song that has seemingly peaked or stalled resumes increasing.

Send for adds - When a record label sends a song to all of the stations of a format in the hope that a lot of stations from that format will add the song. See "add."

Spin - One play of a song. For example, the sentence "Kiss 108 spun Shape Of You 120 times this week" just means that they played it 120 times this week.

Spin record - The all-time record for most spins on a format's chart in a 7-day period. For example, Shape Of You currently holds the pop spin record with 22,559 spins in 7 days.

Stall - When an increasing song slows down or stops increasing entirely for a period of time. Stalling is often a sign that peaking is imminent.

Top-of-the-hour deal - An iHeartMedia radio deal that lasts for a single day (24 hours) - during this time period, every iHeartMedia station on the formats involved in the deal will play the song with the deal at the top of every hour (i.e. at 12:00pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and so on).

Tracking week - Monday to Sunday. This is the airplay tracking week for the Hot 100 and Hot 100 Airplay charts, notable because the tracking week for sales and streaming is different (it's Friday to Thursday). If a song hits #1 on Sunday, it will count as going #1 for the tracking week ending that day, but if it hits #1 the next Monday, it will count as going #1 for the next tracking week.

Unsolicited - can be used to describe adds or spins. An unsolicited add is when a station adds a song that has not gone for adds, and an unsolicited spin is a spin of such a song.

Urban - A format that generally plays rap and R&B music. The songs that are played on urban stations are often unknown to a pop listener; this is only occasionally the case for rhythmic.

Pop Radio #1's Archive

# of #1's: 19

Bruno Mars - Locked Out Of Heaven (January 1 - January 20) [20 days]

Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble (January 21 - March 1) [40 days]

Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child f/John Martin (March 2 - March 9) [8 days]

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop f/Wanz (March 10 - March 23) [14 days]

Maroon 5 - Daylight (March 24) [1 day]

Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man (March 25 - April 19) [26 days]

Rihanna - Stay f/Mikky Ekko (April 20 - May 3) [14 days]

P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason f/Nate Ruess (May 4 - May 16) [13 days]

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors (May 17 - June 2) [17 days]

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us f/Ray Dalton (June 3 - June 29) [27 days]

Selena Gomez - Come & Get It (June 30 - July 6) [7 days]

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines f/T.I. & Pharrell Williams (July 7 - September 9) [65 days]

Zedd - Clarity f/Foxes (September 10 - September 12) [3 days]

Katy Perry - Roar (September 13 - October 19) [37 days]

Lorde - Royals (October 20 - October 24) [5 days]

Avicii - Wake Me Up f/Aloe Blacc (October 25 - November 15) [22 days]

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (November 16 - November 30) [15 days]

Imagine Dragons - Demons (December 1 - December 8) [8 days]

Eminem - The Monster f/Rihanna (December 9 - December 31) [23 days]

# of #1's: 22 (+3 from 2013)

Eminem - The Monster f/Rihanna (January 1 - January 11) [11 days*]

OneRepublic - Counting Stars (January 12) [1 day]

Pitbull - Timber f/Kesha (January 13 - February 6) [25 days]

Katy Perry - Dark Horse f/Juicy J (February 7 - March 15) [37 days]

Lorde - Team (March 16 - March 17) [2 days]

Pharrell Williams - Happy (March 18 - April 12) [26 days]

Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty f/2 Chainz (April 13 - April 16) [4 days]

John Legend - All Of Me (April 17 - May 22) [36 days]

Justin Timberlake - Not A Bad Thing (May 23 - June 5) [14 days]

Iggy Azalea - Fancy f/Charli XCX (June 6 - June 27) [22 days]

Ariana Grande - Problem f/Iggy Azalea (June 28 - July 10) [13 days]

Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong (July 11 - July 23) [13 days]

MAGIC! - Rude (July 24 - August 12) [20 days]

Sam Smith - Stay With Me (August 13 - August 28) [16 days]

Charli XCX - Boom Clap (August 29 - September 18) [21 days]

Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass (September 19 - October 10) [22 days]

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off (October 11 - October 16, October 24 - October 30) [13 days]

Iggy Azalea - Black Widow f/Rita Ora (October 17 - October 23) [7 days]

Jessie J, Ariana Grande, & Nicki Minaj - Bang Bang (October 31 - November 3) [4 days]

Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High) (November 4 - November 15) [12 days]

Maroon 5 - Animals (November 16 - December 11) [26 days]

Taylor Swift - Blank Space (December 12 - December 31) [20 days]

*The Monster spent 34 days at #1 on pop in total (counting 23 days from 2013).

# of #1's: 21 (-1 from 2014)

Taylor Swift - Blank Space (January 1 - January 17) [17 days*]

Nick Jonas - Jealous (January 18 - January 22) [5 days]

Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk! f/Bruno Mars (January 23 - March 7) [44 days]

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud (March 8 - March 13) [6 days]

Taylor Swift - Style (March 14 - March 29) [16 days]

Maroon 5 - Sugar (March 30 - April 16) [18 days]

Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do (April 17 - May 6) [20 days]

The Weeknd - Earned It (May 7 - May 15) [9 days]

Wiz Khalifa - See You Again f/Charlie Puth (May 16 - June 10) [26 days]

Jason Derulo - Want To Want Me (June 11 - June 19) [9 days]

Taylor Swift - Bad Blood f/Kendrick Lamar (June 20 - July 25) [36 days]

Omi - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit) (July 26 - August 8) [14 days]

The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (August 9 - August 31) [23 days]

Major Lazer - Lean On f/MØ & DJ Snake (September 1 - September 9) [9 days]

Selena Gomez - Good For You f/A$AP Rocky (September 10 - September 28) [19 days]

R. City - Locked Away f/Adam Levine (September 29 - October 12) [14 days]

Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean? (October 13 - October 22) [10 days]

Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (October 23 - November 5) [14 days]

Shawn Mendes - Stitches (November 6 - November 20) [15 days]

Adele - Hello (November 21 - December 16) [26 days]

Justin Bieber - Sorry (December 17 - December 31) [15 days]

*Blank Space spent 37 days at #1 on pop in total (counting 20 days from 2014).

# of #1's: 22 (+1 from 2015)

Justin Bieber - Sorry (January 1 - January 8) [8 days*]

Selena Gomez - Same Old Love (January 9 - January 20) [12 days]

Alessia Cara - Here (January 21 - January 27) [7 days]

Justin Bieber - Love Yourself (January 28 - February 23) [27 days]

twenty one pilots - Stressed Out (February 24 - March 12) [18 days]

Flo Rida - My House (March 13 - March 31) [18 days]

Selena Gomez - Hands To Myself (April 1 - April 5) [5 days]

G-Eazy - Me, Myself & I f/Bebe Rexha (April 6 - April 18) [13 days]

ZAYN - PILLOWTALK (April 19 - May 6) [18 days]

Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza (SeeB Remix) (May 7 - May 13, May 21 - May 22) [9 days]

Lukas Graham - 7 Years (May 14 - May 20) [7 days]

Fifth Harmony - Work From Home f/Ty Dolla $ign (May 23 - June 5) [14 days]

The Chainsmokers - Don't Let Me Down f/Daya (June 6 - June 7, June 21 - July 12) [24 days]

Justin Timberlake - CAN'T STOP THE FEELING! (June 8 - June 20) [13 days]

Drake - One Dance f/Wizkid & Kyla (July 13 - July 19) [7 days]

Sia - Cheap Thrills (July 20 - August 25, September 3 - September 11) [46 days]

twenty one pilots - Ride (August 26 - September 2) [8 days]

Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover) (September 12 - September 14) [3 days]

Major Lazer - Cold Water f/Justin Bieber & MØ (September 15 - September 26) [12 days]

The Chainsmokers - Closer f/Halsey (September 27 - November 10, November 24 - December 5) [57 days]

DJ Snake - Let Me Love You f/Justin Bieber (November 11 - November 23) [13 days]

Ariana Grande - Side To Side f/Nicki Minaj (December 6 - December 31) [26 days]

*Sorry spent 23 days at #1 on pop in total (counting 15 days from 2015).

# of #1's: 19 (-3 from 2016)

Ariana Grande - Side To Side f/Nicki Minaj (January 1 - January 11) [11 days*]

Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know f/Kendrick Lamar (January 12 - January 19) [8 days]

Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful (January 20 - February 2) [14 days]

Machine Gun Kelly & Camila Cabello - Bad Things (February 3 - February 15) [13 days]

Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (February 16 - April 23) [67 days]

Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (April 24 - May 15) [22 days]

The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This (May 16 - May 27) [12 days]

Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay (May 28 - July 6) [40 days]

Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito f/Justin Bieber (July 7 - August 6) [31 days]

Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (August 7 - August 21) [15 days]

Charlie Puth - Attention (August 22 - September 20) [30 days]

Niall Horan - Slow Hands (September 21 - October 1) [11 days]

Liam Payne - Strip That Down f/Quavo (October 2 - October 13) [12 days]

Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do (October 14 - October 18) [5 days]

Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (October 19 - October 20, October 28 - November 4, November 8 - November 17) [20 days]

Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (October 21 - October 27, November 5) [6 days]

Logic - 1-800-273-8255 f/Alessia Cara & Khalid (November 6 - November 7) [2 days]

Imagine Dragons - Thunder (November 18 - November 25) [8 days]

Camila Cabello - Havana f/Young Thug (November 26 - December 31) [36 days]

*Side To Side spent 37 days at #1 on pop in total (counting 26 days from 2016).

Camila Cabello - Havana f/Young Thug (January 1 - January 13) [13 days*]

Ed Sheeran - Perfect (January 14 - January 26) [13 days]

Dua Lipa - New Rules (January 27 - February 26) [31 days]

NF - Let You Down (February 27 - March 10) [12 days]

G-Eazy & Halsey - Him & I (March 11 - )

*Havana spent 49 days at #1 on pop in total (counting 36 days from 2017).

Rhythmic Radio #1's Archive

# of #1's: 11

Rihanna - Diamonds (January 1 - January 24) [24 days]

Bruno Mars - Locked Out Of Heaven (January 25 - February 1) [8 days]

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop f/Wanz (February 2 - March 24) [51 days]

Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie f/Jay Z (March 25 - April 22) [29 days]

Rihanna - Stay f/Mikky Ekko (April 23 - April 26) [4 days]

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us (April 27 - June 10, June 12 - June 14) [48 days]

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors (June 11, June 15 - June 27) [14 days]

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines f/T.I. and Pharrell Williams (June 28 - September 5) [70 days]

Jay Z - Holy Grail f/Justin Timberlake (September 6 - September 23) [18 days]

Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home f/Majid Jordan (September 24 - November 28) [66 days]

Eminem - The Monster f/Rihanna (November 29 - December 31) [33 days]

# of #1's: 20 (+9 from 2013)

Eminem - The Monster f/Rihanna (January 1 - February 4) [35 days*]

Kid Ink - Show Me f/Chris Brown (February 5 - February 12) [8 days]

Beyoncé - Drunk In Love f/Jay Z (February 13 - March 13) [29 days]

Pharrell Williams - Happy (March 14 - March 26, April 9 - April 13) [18 days]

Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty f/2 Chainz (March 27 - April 8) [13 days]

John Legend - All Of Me (April 14 - May 2) [19 days]

Chris Brown - Loyal f/Lil Wayne and French Montana or Too $hort (May 3 - May 9) [7 days]

Trey Songz - Na Na (May 10 - May 16) [7 days]

DJ Snake & Lil Jon - Turn Down For What (May 17 - May 27) [11 days]

Iggy Azalea - Fancy f/Charli XCX (May 28 - June 30) [34 days]

Ariana Grande - Problem f/Iggy Azalea (July 1 - July 19) [19 days]

Tinashe - 2 On f/ScHoolboy Q (July 20 - August 7) [19 days]

Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong (August 8 - August 19) [12 days]

Jeremih - Don't Tell 'Em f/YG (August 20 - October 9, October 30, November 10) [53 days]

Iggy Azalea - Black Widow f/Rita Ora (October 10 - October 29) [20 days]

Chris Brown - New Flame f/Usher & Rick Ross (October 31 - November 9) [10 days]

Trey Songz - Touchin, Lovin f/Nicki Minaj (November 11 - November 30) [20 days]

Big Sean - I Don't **** With You f/E-40 (December 1 - December 18) [18 days]

ILOVEMAKONNEN - Tuesday f/Drake (December 19 - December 20) [2 days]

Ariana Grande - Love Me Harder f/The Weeknd (December 21 - December 31) [11 days]

*The Monster spent 68 days at #1 on rhythmic in total (counting 33 days from 2013).

# of #1's: 19 (-1 from 2014)

Ariana Grande - Love Me Harder f/The Weeknd (January 1 - January 19) [19 days*]

Usher - I Don't Mind f/Juicy J (January 20 - February 4) [16 days]

Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk! f/Bruno Mars (February 5 - March 4) [28 days]

Pitbull - Time Of Our Lives f/Ne-Yo (March 5 - March 6) [2 days]

Nicki Minaj - Truffle Butter f/Drake & Lil Wayne (March 7 - March 20) [14 days]

Chris Brown & Tyga - Ayo (March 21 - April 2) [13 days]

Natalie La Rose - Somebody f/Jeremih (April 3 - April 12) [10 days]

The Weeknd - Earned It (April 13 - May 13) [31 days]

Wiz Khalifa - See You Again f/Charlie Puth (May 14 - June 22, June 25 - July 1) [46 days]

Omarion - Post To Be f/Chris Brown & Jhene Aiko (June 23 - June 24, July 2) [3 days]

DJ Snake & AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It (July 3) [1 day]

David Guetta - Hey Mama f/Nicki Minaj, Afrojack & Bebe Rexha (July 4 - July 15) [12 days]

The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (July 16 - August 21, August 29 - September 2) [42 days]

Omi - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit) (August 22 - August 28) [7 days]

The Weeknd - The Hills (September 3 - October 13) [41 days]

Drake - Hotline Bling (October 14 - December 7) [55 days]

Alessia Cara - Here (December 8 - December 21) [14 days]

Post Malone - White Iverson (December 22 - December 23) [2 days]

Travi$ Scott - Antidote (December 24 - December 31) [8 days]

*Love Me Harder spent 30 days at #1 on rhythmic in total (counting 11 days from 2014).

# of #1's: 20 (+1 from 2015)

Travi$ Scott - Antidote (January 1 - January 13) [13 days]

Justin Bieber - Sorry (January 14 - January 21) [8 days]

Drake & Future - Jumpman (January 22 - January 29) [8 days]

The Weeknd - In The Night (January 30 - February 4) [6 days]

Tory Lanez - Say It (February 5 - February 20) [16 days]

G-Eazy - Me, Myself & I f/Bebe Rexha (February 21 - March 4) [13 days]

Rihanna - Work f/Drake (March 5 - April 25) [52 days]

Belly - Might Not f/The Weeknd (April 26 - May 6) [11 days]

Fifth Harmony - Work From Home f/Ty Dolla $ign (May 7 - May 11) [5 days]

Drake - One Dance f/Wizkid & Kyla (May 12 - June 29) [49 days]

Kent Jones - Don't Mind (June 30 - July 13) [14 days]

Rihanna - Needed Me (July 14 - August 1) [19 days]

Drake - Controlla (August 2 - August 13) [12 days]

DJ Khaled - For Free f/Drake (August 14 - September 4) [22 days]

Tory Lanez - LUV (September 5 - September 14) [10 days]

Drake - Too Good f/Rihanna (September 15 - October 13) [29 days]

D.R.A.M. - Broccoli f/Lil Yachty (October 14 - October 21) [8 days]

The Weeknd - Starboy f/Daft Punk (October 22 - December 5) [45 days]

Bruno Mars - 24K Magic (December 6 - December 7) [2 days]

Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles f/Gucci Mane (December 8 - December 31) [24 days]

*Antidote spent 21 days at #1 on rhythmic in total (counting 8 days from 2015).

Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles f/Gucci Mane (January 1 - January 11) [11 days]

Drake - Fake Love (January 12 - February 14) [34 days]

Big Sean - Bounce Back (February 15 - February 17, March 12 - March 20, March 23) [13 days]

Migos - Bad And Boujee f/Lil Uzi Vert (February 18 - March 11) [22 days]

The Weeknd - Party Monster (March 21 - March 22) [2 days]

Travis Scott - Goosebumps f/Kendrick Lamar (March 24 - March 30) [7 days]

Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (March 31 - April 23) [24 days]

Kyle - iSpy f/Lil Yachty (April 24 - April 29) [6 days]

DJ Khaled - Shining f/Beyoncé & JAY Z (April 30 - May 6) [7 days]

Drake - Passionfruit (May 7 - May 16) [10 days]

Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE. (May 17 - June 20, July 3 - July 12) [45 days]

DJ Khaled - I'm The One f/Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance The Rapper, & Lil Wayne (June 21 - July 2) [12 days]

French Montana - Unforgettable f/Swae Lee (July 13 - July 23) [11 days]

DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts f/Rihanna & Bryson Tiller (July 24 - September 22) [61 days]

Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (September 23 - October 28) [36 days]

Post Malone - rockstar f/21 Savage (October 29 - December 2) [35 days]

G-Eazy - No Limit f/A$AP Rocky & Cardi B (December 3 - December 12) [10 days]

Kendrick Lamar - LOVE. f/Zacari (December 13 - December 25) [13 days]

Camila Cabello - Havana f/Young Thug (December 26 - 

*Black Beatles spent 35 days at #1 on rhythmic in total (counting 24 days from 2016).

HAC Radio #1's Archive

# of #1's: 16

The Lumineers - Ho Hey (January 1 - February 16) [47 days*]

P!nk - Try (February 17 - February 25) [9 days]

Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble (February 26 - March 8) [11 days]

Maroon 5 - Daylight (March 9 - April 6, April 14 - April 15) [31 days]

Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait (April 7 - April 13) [7 days]

Bruno Mars - When I Was Your Man (April 16 - April 27) [12 days]

P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason f/Nate Ruess (April 28 - July 15) [79 days]

Justin Timberlake - Mirrors (July 16) [1 day]

Maroon 5 - Love Somebody (July 17 - August 7) [22 days]

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines f/T.I. & Pharrell (August 8 - September 16) [40 days]

Anna Kendrick - Cups (When I'm Gone) (September 17) [1 day]

Katy Perry - Roar (September 18 - October 24) [37 days]

Lorde - Royals (October 25 - November 13) [20 days]

Avicii - Wake Me Up f/Aloe Blacc (November 14 - December 9) [26 days]

Imagine Dragons - Demons (December 10 - December 29) [20 days]

OneRepublic - Counting Stars (December 30 - December 31) [2 days]

*Ho Hey spent 57 days at #1 on HAC in total (counting 10 days from 2012).

# of #1's: 17 (+1 from 2013)

OneRepublic - Counting Stars (January 1 - January 28) [28 days*]

Passenger - Let Her Go (January 29 - February 9) [12 days]

A Great Big World - Say Something f/Christina Aguilera (February 10 - February 27) [18 days]

American Authors - Best Day Of My Life (February 28 - March 6) [7 days]

One Direction - Story Of My Life (March 7 - March 14) [8 days]

Lorde - Team (March 15 - March 23) [9 days]

Pharrell Williams - Happy (March 24 - April 29) [37 days]

John Legend - All Of Me (April 30 - May 30) [31 days]

Justin Timberlake - Not A Bad Thing (May 31 - June 9, June 14 - June 16, June 18) [14 days]

Paramore - Ain't It Fun (June 10 - June 13, June 17, June 19 - June 27) [14 days]

Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong (June 28 - July 23) [26 days]

MAGIC! - Rude (July 24 - August 20) [28 days]

Sam Smith - Stay With Me (August 21 - September 5) [16 days]

Maroon 5 - Maps (September 6 - September 24) [19 days]

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off (September 25 - November 17) [54 days]

Maroon 5 - Animals (November 18 - December 19) [32 days]

Taylor Swift - Blank Space (December 20 - December 31) [12 days]

*Counting Stars spent 30 days at #1 on HAC in total (counting 2 days from 2013).

# of #1's: 17 (= from 2014)

Taylor Swift - Blank Space (January 1 - January 28) [28 days*]

Hozier - Take Me To Church (January 29 - February 7) [10 days]

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud (February 8 - February 27, March 6 - March 10, March 12 - March 28) [42 days]

Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk! f/Bruno Mars (February 28 - March 5, March 11) [7 days]

Taylor Swift - Style (March 29 - April 5) [8 days]

Maroon 5 - Sugar (April 6 - May 4) [29 days]

Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do (May 5 - May 7) [3 days]

WALK THE MOON - Shut Up And Dance (May 8 - June 19, June 28 - July 11) [56 days]

Andy Grammer - Honey, I'm Good. (June 20 - June 27) [8 days]

Taylor Swift - Bad Blood (July 12 - July 26) [15 days]

Rachel Platten - Fight Song (July 27 - August 28) [33 days]

Ed Sheeran - Photograph (August 29 - October 3) [36 days]

The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (October 4 - October 6) [3 days]

X Ambassadors - Renegades (October 7 - October 21) [15 days]

Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (October 22 - November 12) [22 days]

Elle King - Ex's And Oh's (November 13 - November 21) [9 days]

Adele - Hello (November 22 - December 31) [41 days]

*Blank Space spent 40 days at #1 on HAC in total (counting 12 days from 2014).

# of #1's: 17 (= from 2015)

Adele - Hello (January 1 - January 11) [11 days]

Meghan Trainor - Like I'm Gonna Lose You f/John Legend (January 12 - January 23) [12 days]

Shawn Mendes - Stitches (January 24 - January 29) [6 days]

Ellie Goulding - On My Mind (January 30 - February 7) [9 days]

Rachel Platten - Stand By You (February 8 - February 20) [13 days]

twenty one pilots - Stressed Out (February 21 - March 11) [20 days]

Justin Bieber - Love Yourself (March 12 - April 15) [35 days]

Charlie Puth - One Call Away (April 16 - April 25) [10 days]

Lukas Graham - 7 Years (April 26 - May 17) [22 days]

DNCE - Cake By The Ocean (May 18 - June 5) [19 days]

Justin Timberlake - CAN'T STOP THE FEELING! (June 6 - June 25, July 9 - August 6, August 19 - August 30) [61 days]

P!nk - Just Like Fire (June 26 - July 8) [13 days]

Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover) (August 7 - August 18) [12 days]

Sia - Cheap Thrills (August 31 - October 7) [38 days]

Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better (October 8 - November 19) [43 days]

The Chainsmokers - Closer f/Halsey (November 20 - December 13) [24 days]

Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know f/Kendrick Lamar (December 14 - December 31) [18 days]

*Hello spent 52 days at #1 on HAC in total (counting 41 days from 2015).

Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know f/Kendrick Lamar (January 1 - February 15) [46 days]

Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful (February 16 - February 24) [9 days]

Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (February 25 - May 17) [82 days]

James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (May 18 - May 26) [9 days]

The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This (May 27 - July 12) [47 days]

Imagine Dragons - Believer (July 13 - August 25) [44 days]

Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (August 26 - September 24, September 29 - October 6) [38 days]

Charlie Puth - Attention (September 25 - September 28) [4 days]

Niall Horan - Slow Hands (October 7 - October 10) [4 days]

Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (October 11 - )

*Don't Wanna Know spent 64 days at #1 on HAC in total (counting 18 days from 2016).

Urban Radio #1's Archive

# of #1's: 20

Lil Wayne - No Worries f/Detail (January 1 - January 10) [10 days]

Chris Brown - Don't Judge Me (January 11 - January 20) [10 days]

T.I. - Bail f/Lil Wayne (January 21 - January 26) [6 days]

A$AP Rocky - ****in' Problems f/2 Chainz, Drake, & Kendrick Lamar (January 27 - January 30, February 10 - February 16) [11 days]

Trinidad James - All Gold Everything (January 31 - February 9) [10 days]

Rihanna - Pour It Up (February 17 - March 16, March 23 - March 27) [33 days]

Kendrick Lamar - Poetic Justice f/Drake (March 17 - March 22) [6 days]

Drake - Started From The Bottom (March 28 - April 18) [22 days]

Wale - Bad f/Tiara Thomas (April 19 - June 3) [46 days]

Kendrick Lamar - Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe (June 4 - June 13) [10 days]

J. Cole - Power Trip f/Miguel (June 14 - June 27, July 13 - August 2) [35 days]

Ciara - Body Party (June 28 - July 12) [15 days]

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines f/T.I. & Pharrell (August 3 - September 12) [41 days]

J. Cole - Crooked Smile f/TLC (September 13 - September 18) [6 days]

JAY Z - Holy Grail f/Justin Timberlake (September 19 - October 2) [14 days]

Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home f/Majid Jordan (October 3 - October 5, October 12 - October 27, October 29 - November 7) [29 days]

August Alsina - I Luv This Sh*t (October 6 - October 11, October 28, November 8 - November 16) [16 days]

JAY Z - Tom Ford (November 17 - November 21) [5 days]

Sevyn Streeter - It Won't Stop f/Chris Brown (November 22 - December 15) [24 days]

Drake - All Me f/2 Chainz & Big Sean (December 16 - December 31) [16 days]

*No Worries spent 12 days at #1 on urban in total (counting 2 days from 2012).

# of #1's: 23 (+3 from 2013)

Drake - All Me f/2 Chainz & Big Sean (January 1 - January 18) [17 days*]

Lorde - Royals (January 19 - January 22) [4 days]

Beyoncé - Drunk In Love f/JAY Z (January 23 - March 15) [52 days]

Kid Ink - Show Me f/Chris Brown (March 16 - March 26) [11 days]

Pharrell Williams - Happy (March 27 - April 5) [10 days]

Beyoncé - Partition (April 6 - April 26) [21 days]

Jhené Aiko - The Worst (April 27 - May 2) [6 days]

Chris Brown - Loyal f/Lil Wayne & French Montana, Too Short, or Tyga (May 3 - May 24, May 27 - May 28, June 8 - June 12, June 28 - July 3) [35 days]

JAY Z - Part II (On The Run) f/Beyoncé (May 25 - May 26) [2 days]

Future - Move That Doh f/Pharrell (May 29 - June 7) [10 days]

K CAMP - Cut Her Off (June 13 - June 27) [15 days]

Drake - Trophies (July 4 - July 7, July 9 - July 10, July 15) [7 days]

Lil Wayne - Believe Me f/Drake (July 8, July 11 - July 14, July 16 - July 25, July 27 - July 28) [17 days]

ScHoolboy Q - Studio f/BJ The Chicago Kid (July 26, July 29 - August 8, August 18 - August 22) [17 days]

Iggy Azalea - Fancy f/Charli XCX (August 9 - August 17) [9 days]

Jeremih - Don't Tell 'Em f/YG (August 23 - September 19) [28 days]

Rich Gang - Lifestyle f/Young Thug (September 20 - September 30) [11 days]

Chris Brown - New Flame f/Rick Ross (October 1 - October 16, October 21 - October 29) [25 days]

Beyoncé - ***Flawless (October 17 - October 20) [4 days]

DJ Khaled - Hold You Down f/Chris Brown, August Alsina, Future & Jeremih (October 30 - November 13) [15 days]

Bobby Shmurda - Hot N*gga (November 14 - November 21) [8 days]

I LOVE MAKONNEN - Tuesday f/Drake (November 22 - December 18) [27 days]

Rae Sremmurd - No Type (December 19 - December 31) [13 days]

*All Me spent 33 days at #1 on urban in total (counting 16 days from 2013).

# of #1's: 23 (= from 2014)

Rae Sremmurd - No Type (January 1 - January 6) [6 days*]

Dej Loaf - Try Me (January 7 - January 10) [4 days]

Nicki Minaj - Only f/Drake & Lil Wayne (January 11 - January 24) [14 days]

Big Sean - I Don't **** With You f/E-40 (January 25 - January 28) [4 days]

Beyoncé - 7/11 (January 29 - February 24) [27 days]

Usher - I Don't Mind f/Juicy J (February 25, March 8 - March 13) [6 days]

Nicki Minaj - Truffle Butter f/Drake & Lil Wayne (February 26 - March 7, March 14 - March 27) [24 days]

Rae Sremmurd - Throw Sum Mo f/Nicki Minaj (March 28 - April 4) [8 days]

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen (April 5 - April 21, May 6 - May 7) [19 days]

The Weeknd - Earned It (April 22 - May 5) [14 days]

Big Sean - Blessings f/Drake (May 8) [1 day]

Omarion - Post To Be f/Chris Brown & Jhené Aiko (May 9 - June 18) [41 days]

Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money (June 19 - July 2) [14 days]

Rich Homie Quan - Flex (Ooh, Ooh, Ooh) (July 3 - August 1, August 23 - August 29, September 7 - September 12) [43 days]

Fetty Wap - My Way f/Monty (August 2 - August 22) [21 days]

Jeremih - Planes f/J. Cole (August 30 - September 6) [8 days]

Meek Mill - All Eyes On You f/Chris Brown & Nicki Minaj (September 13 - September 19) [7 days]

Fetty Wap - 679 f/Remy Boyz (September 20 - September 24) [5 days]

The Weeknd - The Hills (September 25 - October 10) [16 days]

Drake - Hotline Bling (October 11 - November 29, December 5 - December 12) [58 days]

Future - Where Ya At f/Drake (November 30 - December 4) [5 days]

Tory Lanez - Say It (December 13 - December 16) [4 days]

Drake & Future - Jumpman (December 17 - December 31) [15 days]

*No Type spent 19 days at #1 on urban in total (counting 13 days from 2014).

# of #1's: 21 (-2 from 2015)

Drake & Future - Jumpman (January 1 - January 20) [20 days]

Yo Gotti - Down In The DM (January 21 - January 31) [11 days]

Bryson Tiller - Don't (February 1 - February 28) [28 days]

Chris Brown - Back To Sleep (March 1) [1 day]

Rihanna - Work f/Drake (March 2 - April 24) [54 days]

Jeremih - oui (April 25 - May 4) [10 days]

Bryson Tiller - Exchange (May 5 - May 12) [8 days]

Desiigner - Panda (May 13 - June 3) [22 days]

Drake - One Dance f/Wizkid & Kyla (June 4 - June 20) [17 days]

Kent Jones - Don't Mind (June 21 - July 1) [11 days]

Rihanna - Needed Me (July 2 - August 4) [34 days]

DJ Khaled - For Free f/Drake (August 5 - August 11) [7 days]

Drake - Controlla (August 12 - September 13) [33 days]

Tory Lanez - LUV (September 14 - September 27) [14 days]

Usher - No Limit f/Young Thug (September 28 - October 13) [16 days]

Kanye West - Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 f/Kid Cudi (October 14 - October 22) [9 days]

D.R.A.M. - Broccoli f/Lil Yachty (October 23 - November 1) [10 days]

Chance The Rapper - No Problem f/Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz (November 2 - November 10) [9 days]

YFN Lucci - Key To The Streets f/Migos & Trouble (November 11 - November 17) [7 days]

Young M.A - OOOUUU (November 18 - November 21) [4 days]

Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles f/Gucci Mane (November 22 - December 31) [40 days]

*Jumpman spent 35 days at #1 on urban in total (counting 15 days from 2015).

Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles f/Gucci Mane (January 1 - January 19) [19 days]

Drake - Fake Love (January 20 - February 4) [16 days]

Migos - Bad And Boujee f/Lil Uzi Vert (February 5 - February 26, March 4 - March 22, March 24 - March 25) [43 days]

Big Sean - Bounce Back (February 27 - March 3) [5 days]

Chris Brown - Party f/Usher & Gucci Mane (March 23) [1 day]

Gucci Mane - Both f/Drake (March 26 - April 22) [28 days]

DJ Khaled - Shining f/Beyoncé & JAY Z (April 23 - April 27) [5 days]

Khalid - Location (April 28 - April 30, May 7 - May 9) [6 days]

Future - Mask Off (May 1 - May 6, May 10 - May 19, June 28 - June 30) [19 days]

Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE. (May 20 - June 27, July 1 - July 23, July 25) [63 days]

YFN Lucci - Everyday We Lit f/PnB Rock (July 24) [1 day]

French Montana - Unforgettable f/Swae Lee (July 26 - July 29) [4 days]

DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts f/Rihanna & Bryson Tiller (July 30 - August 29) [31 days]

Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (August 30 - October 15, October 20 - )

Kendrick Lamar - LOYALTY. f/Rihanna (October 16 - October 19) [4 days]

*Black Beatles spent 59 days at #1 on urban in total (counting 40 days from 2016).

A note on the Highest Overall lists: some of the peaks might be slightly inaccurate due to songs reaching new peaks on certain formats after I added them to the list (think of a song peaking on AC 6-12 months after it peaked on pop). Please let me know if this changes any of their standings on the lists -- especially the 2015 list -- as I do not update these very often.

Highest Overall Spin Peaks Of 2014

Only songs that peaked on overall radio in 2014 are included on this list.

The way that these values are calculated is by adding all of the spin peaks of a song. For example, if a song peaked at 7,000 spins on pop and 3,000 on HAC, its overall spin peak would be 10,000.

Spoiler

1. Pharrell Williams - Happy (50,482)

2. John Legend - All Of Me (47,776)

3. Sam Smith - Stay With Me (44,846)

4. Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong (43,309)

5. Katy Perry - Dark Horse f/Juicy J (43,236)

6. MAGIC! - Rude (42,566)

7. Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass (38,981)

8. Lorde - Team (38,806)

9. Taylor Swift - Shake It Off (38,048)

10. Ariana Grande - Problem f/Iggy Azalea (37,547)

11. Iggy Azalea - Fancy f/Charli XCX (36,522)

12. OneRepublic - Counting Stars (36,058)

13. Maroon 5 - Animals (35,297)

14. Justin Timberlake - Not A Bad Thing (34,822)

T-15. Disclosure - Latch f/Sam Smith (34,625)

T-15. Pitbull - Timber f/Kesha (34,625)

16. Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High) (34,158)

17. Eminem - The Monster f/Rihanna (33,492)

18. Charli XCX - Boom Clap (33,410)

19. Bastille - Pompeii (32,905)

20. Maroon 5 - Maps (32,028)

21. Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty f/2 Chainz (31,887)

22. Iggy Azalea - Black Widow f/Rita Ora (31,371)

23. Ed Sheeran - Don't (30,299)

24. Jeremih - Don't Tell 'Em f/YG (29,998)

25. Calvin Harris - Summer (29,456)

Highest Overall Spin Peaks Of 2015

Only songs that peaked on overall radio in 2015 are included on this list.

Spoiler

1. Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk! f/Bruno Mars (49,494)

2. Wiz Khalifa - See You Again f/Charlie Puth (44,638)

3. The Weeknd - Earned It (42,881)

4. The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face (41,756)

5. OMI - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix Radio Edit) (40,467)

6. Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud (40,461)

7. WALK THE MOON - Shut Up And Dance (40,025)

8. Taylor Swift - Bad Blood (sometimes f/Kendrick Lamar) (39,954)

9. Jason Derulo - Want To Want Me (39,706)

10. Taylor Swift - Blank Space (39,115)

11. Maroon 5 - Sugar (38,754)

12. Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (38,645)

13. Taylor Swift - Style (38,066)

14. Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do (37,326)

15. Drake - Hotline Bling (36,469)

16. Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean? (35,675)

17. Sam Smith - I'm Not The Only One (35,597)

18. The Weeknd - The Hills (35,359)

19. R. City - Locked Away f/Adam Levine (35,326)

20. Hozier - Take Me To Church (33,980)

21. Selena Gomez - Same Old Love (33,805)

22. Nick Jonas - Jealous (31,980)

23. Major Lazer - Lean On f/DJ Snake & MØ (31,841)

24. Elle King - Ex's & Oh's (30,705)

25. Ariana Grande - Love Me Harder f/The Weeknd (30,308)

Approximation of Pop Score formula

Pop Score is an index used by Mediabase to rank songs by their callout scores. I attempted to find the formula for obtaining a Pop Score value, and I've come pretty close. The formula is spot on with some songs and has errors in the 2-3 point range if it is not spot on. The only thing is that it doesn't work for recurrents or for songs with high heavy burn rates.

(positive / 3.15) + (favorite / 2.1) - (negative / 2.05) + (net positive / 7) - (heavy burn) + (familiarity / 1.903)

List of songs to come in last place on pop callouts in 2015 (by favorability):

Spoiler

01/23/2015: I Don't **** With You (45.3%)

01/30/2015: I Don't **** With You (45.9%)

02/06/2015: I Don't **** With You (45.1%)

02/13/2015: I Don't **** With You (43.8%)

02/20/2015: Tuesday (45.7%)

02/27/2015: I Bet My Life (48.8%)

03/06/2015: Ayo (45.0%)

03/13/2015: She Knows (50.0%)

03/20/2015: She Knows (51.0%)

03/27/2015: I Don't Mind (53.5%)

04/03/2015: Heartbeat Song (53.2%)

04/10/2015: Bills (49.1%)

04/17/2015: Bills (48.5%)

04/24/2015: Bills (47.8%)

05/01/2015: Bills (47.0%)

05/08/2015: Bills (47.0%)

05/15/2015: Trap Queen (52.6%)

05/22/2015: I Really Like You (39.8%)

05/29/2015: I Really Like You (40.2%)

06/05/2015: Pretty Girls (35.5%)

06/12/2015: Pretty Girls (34.4%)

06/19/2015: I Need Your Love (50.1%)

06/26/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (37.6%)

07/03/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (42.4%)

07/10/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (45.8%)

07/17/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (47.8%)

07/24/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (48.6%)

07/31/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (48.4%)

08/07/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (47.1%)

08/14/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (45.8%)

08/21/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (44.9%)

08/28/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (45.1%)

09/04/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (45.4%)

09/11/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (44.8%)

09/18/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (43.9%)

09/25/2015: Watch Me (Whip / Nae Nae) (43.3%)

10/02/2015: Hold My Hand (50.2%)

10/09/2015: Hold My Hand (51.8%)

10/16/2015: Feelings (35.2%)

10/23/2015: Feelings (45.7%)

10/30/2015: Break A Sweat (41.8%)

11/06/2015: Hold Me Up (47.8%)

11/13/2015: Only Love (45.8%)

11/20/2015: Focus (40.8%)

11/27/2015: Focus (40.3%)

12/04/2015: Focus (40.3%)

12/11/2015: Focus (43.5%)

List of songs to come in last place on pop callouts in 2016:

Spoiler

02/19/2016: Get Ugly (41.8%)

02/26/2016: Get Ugly (39.7%)

03/04/2016: Get Ugly (38.9%)

03/11/2016: PILLOWTALK (35.2%)

03/18/2016: PILLOWTALK (38.6%)

03/25/2016: Something In The Way You Move (44.1%)

04/01/2016: Work From Home (46.3%)

04/08/2016: NO (48.4%)

04/15/2016: NO (50.9%)

04/22/2016: Work (48.6%)

04/29/2016: Work (47.4%)

05/06/2016: Never Be Like You (49.3%)

05/13/2016: If It Ain't Love (46.7%)

05/20/2016: Ride (51.4%)

05/27/2016: NO (53.8%)

06/03/2016: CAN'T STOP THE FEELING! (53.5%)

06/17/2016: Panda (48.1%)

06/24/2016: Wherever I Go (46.6%)

07/01/2016: Me Too (40.8%)

07/08/2016: Me Too (43.3%)

07/15/2016: Me Too (46.2%)

07/22/2016: Me Too (50.0%)

07/29/2016: Don't Mind (50.2%)

08/05/2016: Don't Mind (50.5%)

08/12/2016: Me Too (50.3%)

08/19/2016: All About Us (50.9%)

08/26/2016: Me Too (55.2%)

09/02/2016: Unsteady (54.7%)

09/09/2016: Make Me... (54.1%)

09/16/2016: For Free (52.2%)

09/23/2016: Make Me... (55.9%)

09/30/2016: LUV (53.7%)

10/07/2016: This Girl (55.8%)

10/14/2016: This Girl (55.0%)

10/21/2016: My Way (51.9%)

10/28/2016: My Way (53.6%)

11/04/2016: My Way (52.8%)

11/11/2016: Too Good (52.6%)

List of songs to come in last place on pop callouts in 2017:

01/27/2017: Fake Love (55.7%)

02/03/2017: Love Me Now (54.9%)

02/10/2017: Love Me Now (55.6%)

02/17/2017: You're Not There (56.3%)

02/24/2017: You're Not There (51.5%)

03/03/2017: I Got You (53.7%)

03/10/2017: Thumbs (52.5%)

03/17/2017: Chained To The Rhythm (53.7%)

03/24/2017: Everyday (53.5%)

03/31/2017: Heavy (50.7%)

04/07/2017: Heavy (52.4%)

04/14/2017: Castle On The Hill (45.4%)

04/21/2017: Castle On The Hill (46.8%)

04/28/2017: Castle On The Hill (47.8%)

05/05/2017: Call On Me (49.6%)

05/12/2017: Human (51.0%)

05/19/2017: Good Life (47.6%)

05/26/2017: Human (52.3%)

06/02/2017: Human (52.4%)

List of songs to come in first place on pop callouts in 2015:

Spoiler

01/23/2015: Blank Space (77.1%)

01/30/2015: Blank Space (77.1%)

02/06/2015: Blank Space (77.2%)

02/13/2015: Blank Space (76.5%)

02/20/2015: Blank Space (76.2%)

02/27/2015: Blank Space (75.5%)

03/06/2015: Blank Space (74.3%)

03/13/2015: Blank Space (73.4%)

03/20/2015: Blank Space (72.6%)

03/27/2015: Style (72.8%)

04/03/2015: Style (72.4%)

04/10/2015: Style (71.4%)

04/17/2015: Style (70.9%)

04/24/2015: See You Again (75.9%)

05/01/2015: See You Again (76.5%)

05/08/2015: See You Again (75.1%)

05/15/2015: See You Again (74.6%)

05/22/2015: See You Again (73.9%)

05/29/2015: See You Again (73.8%)

06/05/2015: See You Again (73.7%)

06/12/2015: See You Again (73.1%)

06/19/2015: See You Again (71.5%)

06/26/2015: See You Again (69.0%)

07/03/2015: Beautiful Now (73.1%)

07/10/2015: Beautiful Now (72.3%)

07/17/2015: Beautiful Now (70.0%)

07/24/2015: Photograph (68.3%)

07/31/2015: Photograph (68.7%)

08/07/2015: Like I'm Gonna Lose You (78.6%)

08/14/2015: Like I'm Gonna Lose You (75.8%)

08/21/2015: Like I'm Gonna Lose You (75.1%)

08/28/2015: Like I'm Gonna Lose You (72.8%)

09/04/2015: The Hills (71.6%)

09/11/2015: The Hills (71.5%)

09/18/2015: Wildest Dreams (74.2%)

09/25/2015: Wildest Dreams (75.3%)

10/02/2015: Wildest Dreams (72.6%)

10/09/2015: The Hills (71.7%)

10/16/2015: Wildest Dreams (71.2%)

10/23/2015: Wildest Dreams (72.4%)

10/30/2015: Wildest Dreams (72.7%)

11/06/2015: Hello (75.6%)

11/13/2015: Hello (79.0%)

11/20/2015: Hello (79.8%)

11/27/2015: Hello (79.9%)

12/04/2015: Hello (80.0%)

12/11/2015: Hello (79.4%)

List of songs to come in first place on pop callouts in 2016:

Spoiler

02/19/2016: Hello (76.5%)

02/26/2016: Hello (72.1%)

03/04/2016: Love Yourself (63.2%)

03/11/2016: Love Yourself (63.8%)

03/18/2016: Love Yourself (65.2%)

03/25/2016: Love Yourself (66.3%)

04/01/2016: Love Yourself (66.6%)

04/08/2016: Love Yourself (67.2%)

04/15/2016: Love Yourself (67.4%)

04/22/2016: 7 Years (67.7%)

04/29/2016: 7 Years (67.0%)

05/06/2016: 7 Years (66.0%)

05/13/2016: Lost Boy (65.2%)

05/20/2016: Lost Boy (66.8%)

05/27/2016: Just Like Fire (72.9%)

06/03/2016: Just Like Fire (72.9%)

06/17/2016: Cheap Thrills (68.9%)

06/24/2016: Cheap Thrills (67.8%)

07/01/2016: Cheap Thrills (66.3%)

07/08/2016: Don't Let Me Down (66.2%)

07/15/2016: Don't Let Me Down (65.6%)

07/22/2016: Hymn For The Weekend (66.7%)

07/29/2016: Cheap Thrills (67.1%)

08/05/2016: Cheap Thrills (67.4%)

08/12/2016: Gold (67.9%)

08/19/2016: Cheap Thrills (68.1%)

08/26/2016: Cheap Thrills (68.3%)

09/02/2016: Closer (69.2%)

09/09/2016: Cheap Thrills (69.2%)

09/16/2016: Cheap Thrills (69.8%)

09/23/2016: Cheap Thrills (69.3%)

09/30/2016: Closer (69.0%)

10/07/2016: Closer (71.2%)

10/14/2016: Closer (72.1%)

10/21/2016: Closer (73.0%)

10/28/2016: Closer (73.4%)

11/04/2016: Closer (74.3%)

11/11/2016: Closer (74.3%)

11/18/2016: Closer (73.0%)

11/25/2016: Closer (71.9%)

12/02/2016: Closer (73.1%)

12/09/2016: Closer (71.6%)

12/16/2016: Closer (73.1%)

List of songs to come in first place on pop callouts in 2017:

01/27/2017: Closer (72.9%)

02/03/2017: Closer (72.3%)

02/10/2017: Shape Of You (71.9%)

02/17/2017: Scars To Your Beautiful (71.2%)

02/24/2017: Shape Of You (71.3%)

03/03/2017: Shape Of You (71.2%)

03/10/2017: Shape Of You (72.4%)

03/17/2017: Shape Of You (72.6%)

03/24/2017: Shape Of You (73.3%)

03/31/2017: Shape Of You (73.7%)

04/07/2017: Shape Of You (73.8%)

04/14/2017: Shape Of You (73.8%)

04/21/2017: Shape Of You (73.7%)

04/28/2017: Shape Of You (74.4%)

05/05/2017: Shape Of You (73.5%)

05/12/2017: Shape Of You (71.1%)

05/19/2017: Shape Of You (71.7%)

05/26/2017: Shape Of You (71.9%)

06/02/2017: Shape Of You (72.2%)

Resources

Note: AllAccess membership is free.

Mediabase Callout Scores (updated Fridays)

Year-To-Date Mediabase Charts (AllAccess membership required)

This Week's Radio Adds (AllAccess membership required)

All Stations + Recurrents Charts

All Stations Charts

Published Charts

Overall AI

Reading Radio Updates

Overall AI Updates

An overall AI update looks like this:

2 (=). CHARLI XCX - Boom Clap: 150.989 (+1.567)

The 2 represents the song's position on the overall AI chart, while the = tells us that its position is unchanged from yesterday. The 150.989 is the song's overall AI in millions. The +1.567 tells us that its overall AI is 1.567 million higher than it was yesterday. Here's a template for overall AI updates:

Position (change in position). ARTIST - Song Title: Overall AI (change in AI)

Individual Format Updates

An individual format update looks like this:

Pop

34 33 MR. PROBZ Waves (Robin Schulz Radio Edit) 2779 3043 1263 18.029

+1 Position

+264 Spins

+186 Bullet

+1.302 Audience

Pop is the format. 34 was Waves' position yesterday, and 33 is its position today. 2779 was the amount of spins it had in the 7-day period ending yesterday, and 3043 is the amount of spins it had in the 7-day period ending today. 1263 is the song's bullet, and 18.029 is its pop AI in millions. Here's a template for individual format updates:

Format

Position Yesterday Position Today ARTIST Song Title Spins In 7-Day Period Ending Yesterday Spins In 7-Day Period Ending Today Bullet Format AI

Change In Position (if applicable)

Change In Spins

Change In Bullet

Change In Format AI

Reserved for future content. I still need to update the #1 archives for the new year.

Edited by alexanderao

OK, I got the #1s archives updated, and I'm working on fixing the ugly white background on the pasted text.

• 4 weeks later...

A little off topic but it still gets me that Lorde went #1 on Urban Radio by herself :deadbanana: 

Amazing thread for the radio newbies nonetheless :jonny: 

2 hours ago, All In My Head said:

A little off topic but it still gets me that Lorde went #1 on Urban Radio by herself :deadbanana: 

Amazing thread for the radio newbies nonetheless :jonny: 

It is indeed incredible. In fact, the one-year period between 8/17/13 and 8/17/14 saw 3 white artists occupy #1 on urban as leads. That hasn't happened once since.

Thanks for your kind words :hug: 

• 4 weeks later...

Updated the #1's archive.

Don't Wanna Know's #1 run on HAC was the longest in nearly 4 years :jonny3: 

• 2 months later...

updated

wow I love this thread. Didn't know BS, Style, and Wildest Dreams scored so well on pop callouts.

This thread is awesome :eatpopcorn:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.