bestfiction's BEST OF 2017 | Today: TOP-10 VIDEOS

bestfiction

On 31.12.2017 at 3:44 PM, Navyofbadgals said:

New York and Bad Liar :clap3: 

Enchante is the best song on DD

Stan :jonny5:

On 30.12.2017 at 1:11 AM, Unoriginal said:

Both of these choices are questionable :-* not a fan of either but each to their own

I enjoyed both these albums :emofish: but I get it :cm: 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bestfiction

• TheWayWeWere

• Unoriginal

• JoAddams

zd5Lv52.png

I am a wounded warrior looking for someone to let me in

The Architect

Paloma Faith

Cover_art_of_%22The_Architect%22_by_Paloma_Faith.jpg

I've discovered Paloma with her 2014 album "A Perfect Contradiction" and the wait for this one was kinda too long but The Architect was definitely worth it. Crybaby is an amazing and meaningful song that is actually an example of "purposeful pop" (poor Katy) and the follow-up "Guilty" shows all the stength of Paloma's voice. "Warrior" is arguably the best song Sia has written in years. Also I love how British she sounds yet it's not some tacky-and-corny mess. Overall, it's a very solid record with a great concept of viewing on how the politics and social life affect us.

Highlights: Crybaby, Guilty, Warrior, Til I'm Done

I've never really noticed that I have to decide, to play someone's game or live my own life

Lust for Life

Lana Del Rey

dd7f7f21c881a7c84797301c7186c045.png

Personally, I wasn't hyped about Lana's new album, maybe it's because "Love" came out too long ago, I don't know but I ended up ultimately loving Lust For Life. Her experiments with trap music were surprising in a good way, as well as her collaborations with Stevie Nicks and Sean Ono Lennon (both of them are highlights). You definitely can see the change in Lana's mucic, she's becoming more optimisic and thoughtful. Its lyrics are mostly great and Lana still manages to give her "old self" to those who want it in "Groupie Love", "Cherry" and "Heroin". I need to admit, though, that Lust for Life not as cohesive as Ultraviolence and Honeymoon but its diversity somehow works well. I think Lust for Life is pretty much on par with her magnum opus which is Born to Die.

Highlights: Cherry, Summer Bummer, Beautiful People Beautiful Problems, Tomorrow Never Came, Get Free

aiDf8DV.png

I'm fully charged, nipples are hard, ready to go

Disco ****

Tove Lo

Tove has delivered a classic pop song. Pure perfection. I am literally speechless.

A real man shows his feelings, tears they can be healing

Crybaby

Paloma Faith

Crybaby is such an amazing and meaningful song and its message is pretty unique. In this song Paloma discusses how men tend to hide their feelings because they mant to be masculine and she's adressing to one of those men and tells him that he can show what he feels that he can cry in front of her and she won't judge. Like, wow. When was the last time when you heard a song with such meaning? Sonically Crybaby is fine as well, it's a perfect disco song. Definitely one of the greatest songs of the last year.

The next one is for my zompy friends @Kavish and @TheWayWeWere :gaycat4:

xwMRTl1.gif

But it turned out that you're not irreplaceable and now I'm opening a whole new world

Malo Polovin

Olga Buzova

Well, Olga Buzova is the Russian Madonna and stuff. This song is an amazing BOP and it's super relatable. Basically, it's Olga's Tinder song (it was a reference to Utopia :gaycat2:) because it's about how she's got divorced with her husband and now she opens a world of new men. I told ya that it's super relatable. This has saved my 2017 tbh.

Appetite for seduction, fresh out of the oven

Bon Appétit

Katy Perry

One of Katy's best songs of her carrer, another pop perfection on my list, whew! I think the main reason of its failure is how Katy was all about "purposeful pop" and then she released... this. Still a great song, the production is fine, the Migos feature feels forced but tolerable. Of course the video elevated the song to higher level as well. If Bon Appetit got released during her TD/Prism era, it would've been a #1 smasha.

Also I kinda revisited Kelela's Take Me Apart and it slays :jonny5:guess I should replace EN with it

Paloma was amazing this year :jonny: her album is just smth :jonny5: slayed me once again

LFL :clap3: pretty nice comeback from boremoon

Disco **** is so different and good :jamming:

Crybaby :smitten: pop perfection :smitten:

Bon Appetit is a bop :flame:

я думал Мало половин будет номер один :eli: reverse bestfiction experience indeed :eli:

song is a ****ing jam tho, still neeeds to listen her album :eli:

HPrlUG0.gif

18 hours ago, Kavish said:

Expected Queen of Zompop Olga to be #1 but Top 10 is good too.

A bop!

xwMRTl1.gif

omg hi satan king I miss u xo

also nice update, Disco **** is amazing

12 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

omg hi satan king I miss u xo

Hello amazing FF host! 

I miss you too, and Zomp brought us together again!

xwMRTl1.gif

zd5Lv52.png

The struggle is real when you don't tell me how you feel

Blue Lips

Tove Lo

Tove_Lo_-_Blue_Lips.png

Tove Lo is very constistent (unlike me with the updates) with the quality. All of her albums are pure pop perfections and Blue Lips is not an exception. This album is an amazing contuation of Lady Wood. After we left Tove kinda lonely in the Fire Fade chapter, the passion in her soul bursts again in Light Beams. However, this burst of light seems like the final one after the free falling into total darkness which is represented in Pitch Black. Disco Teeth was that bop, Tove at her finest. Stranger is quite surprising song from Tove due to the guitars that might remind you of some pop rock hit from 80s. However, the main gems for me are in Pitch Black chapter. Cycles, Struggle and 9th of October is a 1-2-3 punch for me. Tove has been great at writing sad bops so it's no wonder obviously. Overall, I'd say that I enjoy Blue Lips much more that Lady Wood and Queen of the Clouds right now and this is enough to put it that high in my rate.

Highlights: Cycles, Struggle, Disco ****

I will not let you hurt me anymore, I gained the power from within
Pod Zvuki Potseluev
Olga Buzova

839cca578ef9a3459ef2df75caa8c603.960x960x1.jpg

The slayage of Russian Queen of Zomp goes on :gaycat2: This album is another example of pop perfection. To be honest, I didn't pay attention when she released a title track but when Malo Polovin came out, I realized how great Olga is. She's making bops after bops with pretty decent eurodance 90s production. Also she's very humble and treates her fans like gold :gaycat4: Bascially most of the songs about her break-up with her husband so I guess that theme should be relatable for many people, so that's what's the reason of her success. Also she's getting hits without any radio payola, Camila Cabello should be taking notes :gaycat5:

If a man talks ****, then I owe him nothing

Taylor_Swift_-_Reputation.png

Reputation is like a heavy truck filled with beats and synths. I've got scalped by its lead single immedeately because it was the direction I wanted Taylor to take: darker sound but with the resemblance of 1989 dreamy pop music. Most of the songs are following this footprint. Also I like how Taylor is not afraid to show herself as a bad bish in such songs as Look or I Did Something Bad. She's standing up for herself and tells everyone not to come for her. However, despite stan twitter trying to make fun of Taylor and make seem her obsessed with Kanye, she addressed directly him literally only twice. Oh well. The thing is that this album is mostly about Taylor herself and her new love. When it comes to production, I already said that Jack Antonoff owned 2017 but Max Martin did really good job as well. Overall, it's a very solid and polished album which slays you really hard.

On 04.01.2018 at 11:18 PM, Kavish said:

Expected Queen of Zompop Olga to be #1 but Top 10 is good too.

A bop!

her slayage is not over, my zompy friend!

xwMRTl1.gif

6 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Paloma was amazing this year :jonny: her album is just smth :jonny5: slayed me once again

LFL :clap3: pretty nice comeback from boremoon

Disco **** is so different and good :jamming:

Crybaby :smitten: pop perfection :smitten:

Bon Appetit is a bop :flame:

я думал Мало половин будет номер один :eli: reverse bestfiction experience indeed :eli:

song is a ****ing jam tho, still neeeds to listen her album :eli:

HPrlUG0.gif

Paloma is another example of consisten quality

I liked Honeymoon pretty much but I kinda payed it dust. idk even why

I was thinking of getting Malo Polovin to the top but I need to get a contoversy :eli: 

maybe Santa bestfiction has got something for you under the tree :eli:

HPrlUG0.gif

6 hours ago, Navyofbadgals said:

also nice update, Disco **** is amazing

too bad that it didn't get even a tenth of Cool Girl's success (which wasn't that big in the first place) :'(

20 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Tove Lo is very constistent (unlike me with the updates)

:lmao:

I didn't agrih with you about quality consistentness since QOTC > LW > BL :michael:

Buzova not even in top 3 :fan: Pod Flopy Potseluev indeed

Rep has many great tunes, but it kinda became old for me fast

aiDf8DV.png

I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

Get Free

Lana Del Rey

A perfect album closer and easily top-5 of Lana's discography. Amazing lyrics, atmospheric instrumental, the chorus is just divine. This is Lana at her best.

Now you know it's really gonna blow

Homemade Dynamite

Lorde

Someone who had yet to appear on my list until now. When I first listened to Melodrama, this song instantly drew my attention and when I found out that Tove Lo co-written this masterpiece, there was no question why. Lorde's singing/whispering in chorus is very passionate and fiery. The remix wasn't cute though.

Maybe I got mine but you all get yours

Look What You Made Me Do

Taylor Swift

This song is spiteful but I love it. I've already said that I like how Taylor is not afraid of representing herself as a far from perfection person and I'm living for the fact that she has ended Kanye with it :fan: hi hi. Also I'll call just one name: Jack Antonoff. 

---

So, only top-5 songs and top-3 albums remain! You can make your bets for those and maybe santa bestfcition will give you a digital copy of Malo Polovin on iTunes :gaycat2: For the next few days I'll break down the onther lists (best videos and top surprises/dissapintments). It's gonna be really quickly and then I'll reveal the best three albums of 2017 and three best songs from it.

23 hours ago, Kavish said:

That Olga reign just won't let up!

xwMRTl1.gif

Reputation is that zomp!

xwMRTl1.gif

We love Russian Madonna

xwMRTl1.gif

Also yeah, rep slays

3 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

I didn't agrih with you about quality consistentness since QOTC > LW > BL :michael:

Idk, QOTC is kinda aging like milk for me :'(

Buzova: #10 in songs rate, #5 in albums rate

Loboda: Mayonnaise :fan:

xwMRTl1.gif

rep still slays me, time will tell for me I guess.

On 02.01.2018 at 1:00 AM, bestfiction said:

I am a wounded warrior looking for someone to let me in

The Architect

Paloma Faith

Cover_art_of_%22The_Architect%22_by_Paloma_Faith.jpg

I've discovered Paloma with her 2014 album "A Perfect Contradiction" and the wait for this one was kinda too long but The Architect was definitely worth it. Crybaby is an amazing and meaningful song that is actually an example of "purposeful pop" (poor Katy) and the follow-up "Guilty" shows all the stength of Paloma's voice. "Warrior" is arguably the best song Sia has written in years. Also I love how British she sounds yet it's not some tacky-and-corny mess. Overall, it's a very solid record with a great concept of viewing on how the politics and social life affect us.

Highlights: Crybaby, Guilty, Warrior, Til I'm Done

slay! queen!

On 04.01.2018 at 11:07 PM, bestfiction said:

But it turned out that you're not irreplaceable and now I'm opening a whole new world

Malo Polovin

Olga Buzova

Well, Olga Buzova is the Russian Madonna and stuff. This song is an amazing BOP and it's super relatable. Basically, it's Olga's Tinder song (it was a reference to Utopia :gaycat2:) because it's about how she's got divorced with her husband and now she opens a world of new men. I told ya that it's super relatable. This has saved my 2017 tbh.

On 06.01.2018 at 0:12 AM, bestfiction said:

I will not let you hurt me anymore, I gained the power from within
Pod Zvuki Potseluev
Olga Buzova

839cca578ef9a3459ef2df75caa8c603.960x960x1.jpg

The slayage of Russian Queen of Zomp goes on :gaycat2: This album is another example of pop perfection. To be honest, I didn't pay attention when she released a title track but when Malo Polovin came out, I realized how great Olga is. She's making bops after bops with pretty decent eurodance 90s production. Also she's very humble and treates her fans like gold :gaycat4: Bascially most of the songs about her break-up with her husband so I guess that theme should be relatable for many people, so that's what's the reason of her success. Also she's getting hits without any radio payola, Camila Cabello should be taking notes :gaycat5:

we love legend!
olgathequeen.gif?extra=p-YsymEFN0_82EQ0i3gKgfMCGPp1UmXnnWx837KWGxqut3Hn7gsdn4wdz6re7IjpezJSzvPdFLIr3wCxCMVfsyM1WGAZqHGw5cCaqJku4bv56pvS5p80xLldLtDPOuhQtxj70pwCJQpr

On 06.01.2018 at 0:12 AM, bestfiction said:

If a man talks ****, then I owe him nothing

Taylor_Swift_-_Reputation.png

Reputation is like a heavy truck filled with beats and synths. I've got scalped by its lead single immedeately because it was the direction I wanted Taylor to take: darker sound but with the resemblance of 1989 dreamy pop music. Most of the songs are following this footprint. Also I like how Taylor is not afraid to show herself as a bad bish in such songs as Look or I Did Something Bad. She's standing up for herself and tells everyone not to come for her. However, despite stan twitter trying to make fun of Taylor and make seem her obsessed with Kanye, she addressed directly him literally only twice. Oh well. The thing is that this album is mostly about Taylor herself and her new love. When it comes to production, I already said that Jack Antonoff owned 2017 but Max Martin did really good job as well. Overall, it's a very solid and polished album which slays you really hard.

over

giphy.webp

It's been 84 years but

bestfiction's top-10 videos of 2017

Want You Back

HAIM

Pretty simple but beautiful video that only shows Haim sisters walking on the steet and dancing along with the song. I kinda like the fact that they aren't trying to "sing" the song. Its color scheme is also quite pleasant.

Crybaby & Guilty

Paloma Faith

These two are basically parts of one story so I've decided to place them both at #9. It's a great story and I hope Paloma will give us a contuation. Also both videos are very cinematographic and were shooted very well.

Bad Liar

Selena Gomez

Selena has been serving visuals with all of her videos last year but this one has a plot and is quite funny to watch. Selena's acting past reverberates itself here.

Los Ageless

St. Vincent

Both New York and Los Ageless share similar aesthetic but since I've listed NY in my best songs list, I've decided to acknowlege Los Ageless in this one. Another aesthetically appealing video, it's low-key "artsy-fartsy" but in a good way.

Beautiful Trauma

P!nk

This video exploits P!nk's signature theme of a woman with... um, nerve but Beautiful Trauma does it in a more delicate way. I love that 50s retro vibe and overall the video is pretty hilarious, especially in the end.

Love 

Lana Del Rey

Love is Lana's best video since Blue Jeans. It's very spectacular and Lana is stunning in it. Also it represents the album's overall concept very well if you think about it. Most of the songs on it are about the future and this video kinda represent Lana's hopes for a brighter one.

New Rules

Dua Lipa

Not an obvious pick, New Rules video is literally what made the song a hit. Overall female empowerment theme is very appealing and the "rules" thing is played very well.

Bon Appetit

Katy Perry

Easily Katy's best video, it's very funny and edgy. It's not as childish as TD and Prism ones and not stupid and corny like Swish Swish. I don't know, I just love it! And this video elevated the song to a higher level.

Fetish

Selena Gomez

A weird choice, but I love the aesthetics of this video. Petra Collins did an amazing job and Selena represented the fetish theme very good. The promotional photoshoot is amazing as well.

Look What You Made Me Do

Taylor Swift

Another obvious choice, this video easlily the most entertaning one in 2017. Many hidden (or not) references, many different scenes and locations, the shade, I'm just living for it! and the ending has showed how self-aware Taylor is.

---

Hey hey hey :) @Navyofbadgals @TheWayWeWere @Unoriginal

• ATRL Moderator

Bad Liar, LA, Love, New Rules, Fetish, BA and Look :clap3:

Bad Liar deserved better tbh :keir: 

On 06.01.2018 at 2:12 AM, bestfiction said:

Tove Lo is very constistent (unlike me with the updates)

nice bunch of videos :clap3:

WYB is so simple, but it works :jonny: CB and Guilty is everything :jonny: plot twist :jonny5:

not Fetish above Bad Liar :biblio: Fetish vid ruined single experience for me :skull:

Bon Appetit, Love, New Rules :clap3:

QLB4Tm9.png

Nothing you can say that'll make me rethink every chance that we had and messed up

Walking Away

HAIM

It's just a pop excellence. HAIM mixed they signature 80s style with a bit of smooth R&B and we've got an amazing song full of self-empowerment. You can feel how the lyrical heroine slams the door and leaves her former lover who's not worth a bit of her. 

And if you're under him, you ain't getting over him

New Rules

Dua Lipa

Another song full of self-empowerment. Apparetly it's the video that takes New Rules to a whole new level but still it's a jam that shows Dua's bright personality at the fullest (despite the fact that she didn't write it). I was also rooting for Dua very hard and I was go glad to see this song getting such a massive success. Deserved

Don't see a point in blaming you, if I were you I'd do me too

Fetish

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez always leaves me shook with the quality she delievers since The Heart Wants What It Wants. Fetish is a sensual bop that is kinda generic bc it's sexualized and it has a rapper on feature but somehow everything works excellent. 

Go on and say it, was my love too much for you to take?

You Never Knew

HAIM

Surprise, another HAIM song in the top-5. You Never Knew sounds as if this song has been released decades ago and you have known it for your entire life. It's perfect in every aspect, the production, the strings that give the song its retro vibe, its disco-ish chorus. The lyrics are also very great and not as repetitive as HAIM tend to be. This song just won my heart the monent I heard it.

But when I reach for you, there's just a supercut

Supercut

Lorde

This is my favourite song of the year. I know that people were very divided by it but I ultimately love this song. Lorde represented such a common yet not enough paid attention to emotion when the relationship is over and you forgetting about everything that pissed you off about your past love and you remember only brightest moments and feel regret beacuse you invested so much in that relationships, you were so sure you have gone everything right but it just didn't work out. You're stuck on the loop and you keep rewinding those moments in your head and wish the person you allowed to get away would come back. The production of the song is minimalistic but it's the cease when sophisticated and complex melodies are unnecessary at all.

zd5Lv52.png

I need your love and I'm dying for the rush 'cause my heart ain't got enough

Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa

Blow_Your_Mind_(Mwah)_(Official_Single_C

Dua has released a very solid debut album. She's caught my eye in 2016 when I discovered Be the One but the longplay has exceeded my excpectations. Self-titled album title is pretty much deserved since Dua bursts with personality in each song. Her voice is very soulful as well. Overall, singles are obviously the strongest tracks but even the "fillers" are decently made and are enjoyable. I hope this album will catch everyone's attention and make Dua a new main pop girl.

Highlights: Genesis, Be the One, New Rules, Hotter Than Hell

I'll start letting go little things 'til I'm so far away from you, yeah

Melodrama

Lorde

Lorde_-_Melodrama.png

I didn't like Lorde at her reign with Royals but I felt in love with Melodrama almost instantly. She's only 19 yet she's so mature and told her "not-happy-ever-after" love story with such a brilliance. She's truly a poet and almost every line is so honest and relatable at the same time, it's just unbelievable. However, the best thing is that how her beautiful lyrics were framed in Jack Antonoff's production which suits her so well, gosh. I don't have anything else to say, Melodrama is just stunning and she deserves an AOTY for it.

Highlighs: Supercut, Homemade Dynamite, The Louvre, Hard Feelings

and the best album of 2017 is...

I’ll give you all the love I never gave before I left you

Something To Tell You

HAIM

1200x630bb.jpg

This album is a huge grower and hosting an album survivor made me appreciate it even more. Almost everyone say that it's a typical sophomore slump record but I think Something To Tell You is pretty on par with Days Are Gone. It's more rock-influenced but they are still mixing the genres and while usually when you adding everything you like in one thing (whenever it's a song or not) it turns out to be tacky-and-corny mess. HAIM, on the other hand mix everything brilliantly. They go off in a George Michael nod that is Ready For You (it sounds like Faith!), they are so honest and relatable in heartbreak songs such as You Never Knew and Kept Me Crying. The latter one is such a desparate cry into the void beacuse you dedicated yourself so much to the one you loved and it just didn't pay off. But most of all, this record is like a breath of fresh air and it's so full of life. I ultimately loved this stunning masterpiece.

Highlights: You Never Knew, Walking Away, Kept Me Crying, Nothing's Wrong

Thank you for being there sistrens! @Unoriginal @TheWayWeWere @JoAddams @Navyofbadgals @Mark Rih @Tsareena :flower:

Hope 2018 will deliever as many amazing songs and albums as 2017 did!

• ATRL Moderator

Oh wow @ nothing but taste in both those lists :jonny:

Walking Away did that, New Rules is that '**** you' song, Fetish is Selena's second that song of 2017, You Never Knew is THAT Fleetwood Mac homage and Supercut is that imaginary relationship song :jonny2:

Dua in the top three :eek: and Genesis a highlight :alexz: easily one of my favourite openers of 2017

Melodrama continuing to win everywhere and I wasn't expecting StTY to be #1 :soda: I knew you liked it but not that much 

Walking Away :smitten: album version > single mix tho :eli:

Fetish making top 3 :jonny5:

You Never Knew and Supercut are :flame:

Haim #1 album :eek: suprising :clap3: love your whole top 3 tho :clap3:

great list sis :-*

17 hours ago, bestfiction said:

I’ll give you all the love I never gave before I left you

Something To Tell You

HAIM

1200x630bb.jpg

This album is a huge grower and hosting an album survivor made me appreciate it even more. Almost everyone say that it's a typical sophomore slump record but I think Something To Tell You is pretty on par with Days Are Gone. It's more rock-influenced but they are still mixing the genres and while usually when you adding everything you like in one thing (whenever it's a song or not) it turns out to be tacky-and-corny mess. HAIM, on the other hand mix everything brilliantly. They go off in a George Michael nod that is Ready For You (it sounds like Faith!), they are so honest and relatable in heartbreak songs such as You Never Knew and Kept Me Crying. The latter one is such a desparate cry into the void beacuse you dedicated yourself so much to the one you loved and it just didn't pay off. But most of all, this record is like a breath of fresh air and it's so full of life. I ultimately loved this stunning masterpiece.

Highlights: You Never Knew, Walking Away, Kept Me Crying, Nothing's Wrong

I'm out 

tenor.gif

On 14.01.2018 at 1:41 AM, Unoriginal said:

I wasn't expecting StTY to be #1 :soda: I knew you liked it but not that much 

hosting an album survivor for it did THAT to me :jonny5:

On 12.01.2018 at 8:39 PM, TheWayWeWere said:

not Fetish above Bad Liar :biblio: Fetish vid ruined single experience for me :skull:

the aesthetics of it are just :smitten: Selegend beautiful

037.jpg  035.jpg

016.jpg

On 14.01.2018 at 10:07 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Walking Away :smitten: album version > single mix tho :eli:

That's for sure, that mix felt like a throwaway single

On 14.01.2018 at 10:07 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

great list sis :-*

thank you, skinny legend!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.