montrealXO Best Music Videos of 2017 #10-1

montrealxo

On 12/31/2017 at 0:39 PM, Playa Playa said:

Freudian :clap3:

Blue Lips :clap3: Hey You Get Drugs deserves the praise. It's already my favourite Tove Lo song.

it's such a shame no one is going to hear it :'(

On 1/1/2018 at 0:48 AM, Wicked said:

Yeah Demi's album was a surprise, it's a step up + in the right direction. Blue Lips + Freudian are good too. Kehlani put me to sleep tho

khelani's album did sound the same when i first heard it. it's a real grower but it pays off once it does

On 1/1/2018 at 0:07 PM, Pink Matter said:

Freudian and Funk Wav were great. Didn't bother with Tove since I figured I'd dislike it but Disco **** is a song. SSS was a bit of a disappointment but there were some good song on there.

Blue Lips has it's ups and downs, but it's worth a listen for the highlights 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montrealxo

• Wicked

• Pink Matter

• Playa Playa

Great top 5 :clap3: 

AML was ranked in my 2016 list but Terrified and Baby Boy (plus Redbone) continued to slay me into 2017. DAMN. is DAMN. of course, and Ctrl and Melodrama are excellent. Great picks :clap3: 

DAMN., Carti, Gambino :clap3: Great picks.

I'm still crying @ how Redbone blew up so fast, and it was in like every TV show with a majority black cast too :rip:

#10 love - lana del rey

A beautiful collage of American love. One of her best.

#9 lift - radiohead

Odd but entertaining. Radiohead always delivers with visuals. This one makes you think.

#8 drew barrymore - sza

The cameo makes this video one of my favorites of the year. Each shot could also be a stunning photograph.

#7 new rules - dua lipa

The concept is cute and well executed. Also the art direction, wardrobe and choreography show more effort than people have been putting into videos lately.

#6 story of oj - jay z

A cautionary tale of being a black male in America, and how to avoid the pitfalls that come with upward mobility. Done with spot on, but still tongue in cheek animation, and humor.

#5 new york - st vincent

The most gorgeous set pieces this year. Period.

#4 spirit - j hus

The cinematography and editing are immaculate. Also the shot choices were creative, and fit the song perfectly. There's also an aesthetic that I can't quite name that gives the video an edge over most rap videos I've seen 

#3 humble - kendrick lamar

Each single set is creative and intelligent. It's also not often that a hip hop video is so well thought out and executed. I hope this video goes down as a proud moment for this era of rap. 

#2 green light - lorde

Gorgeous cinematography, creative lighting choices and superb hair and make up. The art direction is A1. The editing is film quality. It's just well done all around.

#1 the gate - bjork

By far and away the most creative music video this year. No words, just watch and be scalped.

23 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Great top 5 :clap3: 

AML was ranked in my 2016 list but Terrified and Baby Boy (plus Redbone) continued to slay me into 2017. DAMN. is DAMN. of course, and Ctrl and Melodrama are excellent. Great picks :clap3: 

I thought about that but I got into it this year so I counted it. I was so stuck on Me and Your Mama, I didn't even listen to the whole thing for the longest. 

19 hours ago, Wicked said:

DAMN., Carti, Gambino :clap3: Great picks.

I'm still crying @ how Redbone blew up so fast, and it was in like every TV show with a majority black cast too :rip:

it was EVERYWHERE. i'm glad though. it's time we get back to lifting each other up as creatives. 

17 hours ago, sumthintoxic82 said:

Melodrama :alexz:

best written album of the year. period 

2 hours ago, Maddox said:

Melodrama, DAMN., AML:alexz:

:katie2:

2 hours ago, montrealxo said:

it was EVERYWHERE. i'm glad though. it's time we get back to lifting each other up as creatives. 

!!!!!! I'm so glad this is happening. Donald, Issa, Ava. Whew.

J Hus whew, we love an international icon.

Bjork always serves visual but yeah The Gate is exceptionally good. 

Forgot to post this but great videos set :clap3: With a deserving #1 too!

Your #10 :heart2: 

Lana, SZA, Dua Lipa, Jay, Kendrick, Lorde :jonny5:

So happy to see Green Light on so many lists, I thought it was way more underrated.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:33 PM, Playa Playa said:

J Hus whew, we love an international icon.

Bjork always serves visual but yeah The Gate is exceptionally good. 

the J Hus video is one my favorites that no one has seen. it's so well done.

bjork is a legend when it comes to visuals. i've stanned for her videos since i was a kid

On 1/5/2018 at 7:38 AM, jacklovesyou1 said:

New Rules :D

:heart2:

21 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

Forgot to post this but great videos set :clap3: With a deserving #1 too!

Your #10 :heart2: 

best lana video since her first era :cm:

13 hours ago, Nikko said:

Lana, SZA, Dua Lipa, Jay, Kendrick, Lorde :jonny5:

So happy to see Green Light on so many lists, I thought it was way more underrated.

those who have taste know it's one of the best. the lighting is just otherworldly and she looks fantastic

On 1/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, Maddox said:

So true abt Drew Barrymore's cameo  :heart2: Love the rest of your picks!

it was so random, but so cute. thanks :heart2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.