HONESTLY, 2017. - Singles/Albums TOP 10! / finished!!! :)

TRF.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Lazuli

• World Eater

• Topmaster 2

Loving this set except for The Oozzzzzz. Never really delved into ACLAM and I haven't heard the Black Origami, Plunge, or Musas albums (first two are queued tho) but everything else is great. Perched for the top 10!

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

MBzntUg.png

#10.

Paramore

"Told You So"

from the album 'Paramore'

Genre: New Wave, Alternative Dance, Pop Rock

I think it would be easier to put "Hard Times" on the list, but everything about this song works perfectly for me. Love the basslines and the song's topic too.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

q2eBW1R.png

#10.

William Basinski

'A Shadow in Time'

Genre: Ambient, Tape Music, Drone

Minimalism

Country: USA || Release Date: January 20th, 2017 || Label: 2026

When David Bowie died over a year ago, I was emotionally distraught. Specially after releasing an apocalyptic, almost-prophetic album like ‘Blackstar’, it was something that heavily affected pop culture, the music industry and fans alike. On what would have been his 70th birthday, his label decided to release the EP ‘No Plan’, featuring three unreleased Bowie songs. It was, of course, a good EP, but there is a reason why none of these songs made it into the final album, and personally, I feel like it could be a little disrespectful to heavily capitalize on that, possibly ignoring his wishes.

In fact, it is more exciting to see artists and musicians paying tribute to him. And it seems like composer William Basinski really nailed it. He’s no stranger to (perhaps unintended) tragedy in music – ‘The Desintegration Loops’ accidentally became a soundtrack for the 9/11 tragedy, as he finished recording the loops as he watched everything that happened that day from the roof of his house in New York. But ‘A Shadow in Time’ for some reason seems to be about a personal loss than anything else.

"For David Robert Jones" is a wonderful loop-based track dedicated to Bowie's memory. While it’s not obvious why would someone like Basinski pay homage to Bowie, it makes sense if you consider both to be “queer icons”. While they might come from different worlds and even different scenes, they definitely shared a mindset. All in all, William Basinski made his best record since ‘The Desintegration Loops’, and something that surely is one of the most beautiful albums of the year.

Highlights: “For David Robert Jones”

You’ll like it if you like: Brian Eno (specially his most experimental collaborations with Bowie), Tim Hecker, Steve Reich

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

kOK6GGd.png

#09.

Yves Tumor

"Limerence"

from the album 'mono no aware'

Genre: Ambient, Progressive Electronic, Spoken Word

Wow... I think I have cried several times to this. I know it's easy to dismiss this as a "simple ambient loop with someone talking over it," but... it is so much more than that. It is a truly emotional experience.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

SZZZaVj.png

#09.

Kendrick Lamar

'DAMN.'

Genre: Conscious Hip Hop

Pop Rap, Trap Rap, Contemporary R&B, Political Hip Hop, Hardcore Hip Hop

Country: USA || Release Date: April 14th, 2017 || Label: TDE

Pretty much since the release of ‘Good Kid, m.A.A.d City’, Kendrick Lamar became without a doubt the most acclaimed rapper of his generation. And while that album was an unique experience of its own and a height impossible to reach for many artists, he somehow managed to improve with his 2015 album ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’. Using jazz, soul, R&B, funk and even disco influences, he created an album that was meant to be a critique on White supremacy, police brutality and discrimination as well as an exploration of Black/African-American identity, depression and eventually, self-love.

Therefore, it was expected for ‘DAMN.’ to be one of the most anticipated records of 2017. And despite not being what was perhaps expected to be, it did not disappoint either. One could argue that this record sounds more commercial than the previous one, and I see why: singles like “HUMBLE.”, “LOYALTY.” (that features an amazing performance from none other than Rihanna) and “ELEMENT.” take more from trap, crunk and old-school pop-rap than it does from other genres. That however does not damage the quality of the music itself, as it proves that Kendrick is versatile and can deliver good lines and verses in this context as well.

Going hard as nails on "DNA." and on "XXX.", and overall talking about personal struggles, political turmoil and black identity, 'DAMN.' proves itself to be one of the best rap records of 2017, and worthy of all its acclaim and recognition... whether you listen to it from front to back, or from back to front.

Highlights: “DNA.", "YAH.", "ELEMENT.", "FEEL.", "LOYALTY." (feat. Rihanna), "PRIDE.", "XXX." (feat. U2), "FEAR.", "GOD.", "DUCKWORTH."

You’ll like it if you like: Nas, Migos, Kendrick's 'good kid, m.A.A.d. city', Frank Ocean

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

59u7UHi.png

#08.

Yaeji

"Drink I'm Sippin On"

from the EP 'EP2'

Genre: Alternative R&B

Yaeji's best song yet, lots of catchy hooks and lyrics regardless of the language it is being sung in, also an amazing production. All I can ask for, really. 

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

Y0NjCO8.png

#08.

Susanne Sundfør 

'Music for People in Trouble'

Genre: Art Pop

Contemporary Folk, Progressive Pop, Ambient Pop, Chamber Folk

Country: Norway || Release Date: September 8th, 2017 || Label: Bella Union

'Ten Love Songs', Susanne Sundfør's fifth album, was her most pop yet. With it, she explored more dance and club-oriented sounds, thus she found a new audience outside of her home country, Norway. However, she was not feeling comfortable with that - she felt pressured and as a result, she fell into a deep depression. In the meantime, she went to several places, from the Amazonas to North Korea, to search for inspiration but also to learn about the situation in those places.

As a result, 'Music for People in Trouble' is drastically different from her previous record. It is mostly a minimal, mostly acoustic and experimental pop record with influences from folk, country music, ambient and even a bit of jazz and musique concrète. It is an excellent way to follow up another excellent record like that, even if it is not the expected one.

Aside from "The Sound of War", the lyrics themselves are not political, but definitely carry an enormously strong weight to them, whether social, emotional or personal. 'Music for People in Trouble' is not an immediate record either, but once you see what makes it good, it is impossible to get it out of your head. Definitely one of the better Susanne records to date.

Highlights: "Good Luck, Bad Luck", "The Sound of War", "Music for People in Trouble", "Bedtime Story", "Undercover", "The Golden Age", "Mountaineers" (feat. John Grant)

You’ll like it if you like: Jenny Hval, Julia Holter, Goldfrapp's 'Tales of Us', Julie Byrne, Grouper, Kate Bush

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

N9hOla5.png

#07.

Carly Rae Jepsen

"Cut to the Feeling"

Genre: Dance-Pop, Synthpop

The best pop song released this year and it's not even close. One of Carly's best hooks ever, in fact one of the best hooks I have ever heard in my life. This is what true euphoria sounds like.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

1mkbSNx.png

#07.

Blanck Mass

'World Eater'

Genre: Electro-Industrial, Post-Industrial

IDM, Power Noise, UK Bass

Country: UK || Release Date: March 3rd, 2017 || Label: Sacred Bones

Personally, **** Buttons is one of my favorite bands of all time. Since they released their debut album they’ve been making fascinating music that blurred the notions of electronic music, rhythmic noise, psychedelia and ambient. However, other than a collaboration with Jean-Michel Jarre, the duo has remained quiet ever since – but Benjamin John Power, one of the members, kept releasing music as Blanck Mass. In 2015 he released his first release under the already iconic label Sacred Bones, 'Dumb Flesh’ which was his most abrasive work to date. I was expecting a fourth **** Buttons release to come next, and I must admit to be initially slightly disappointed when it was announced that he would release another album as Blanck Mass.

However, if there is one thing that’s fascinating about this record is how it is just as good as anything FB ever released. His third solo album, 'World Eater’ has an underlying theme of angst and violence as a reaction to state of humanity in the current days – and it does show. But also, in the album’s official press release, it is mentioned how ‘World Eater’ contains “the closest Power has ever come to writing actual love songs”. To put “love songs” in the middle of an album so angsty and roaring seems like a rather odd choice... but it also makes sense.

Aside from continuing to explore the midpoints between popular music and noise as he did with **** Buttons, the huge contrast between the harshness of some moments here and the magnificence of others can be attributed to how, in these wild times, maybe what we need is to find love. Whether it is within ourselves, in other people or whatever it takes — to continue fighting for what you believe in, and to make the world a better place. This might seem like an unneccessary, possibly political approach I took to this record, but either way it continues to show how Power remains as one of the better acts within electronic music.

Highlights: “Rhesus Negative”, “Please”, “The Rat”, “Silent Treatment”, “Minnesota / Eas Fors / Naked”, “Hive Mind”

You’ll like it if you like: **** Buttons, Powell, Pan Sonic, Oneohtrix Point Never’s ‘Garden of Delete’, The Knife

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

WaENUxs.png

#06.

Kendrick Lamar

"DNA."

Genre: Conscious Hip Hop, Hardcore Hip Hop

That beat switch!! Those lyrics!!! This is probably the hardest he has ever went in a track ever. Can this be Kendrick's best single ever? I think so!!!!

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

x7CdpEB.png

#06.

Juana Molina

'Halo'

Genre: Folktronica

Art Pop, Avant-Folk, Minimal Wave

Country: Argentina || Release Date: May 5th, 2017 || Label: Crammed

In the 90’s, Juana Molina was known for being a comedian in her home country, Argentina. Her show Juana y sus hermanas became a sensation all over the country, it felt like a breath of fresh air amongst many other, lame male-dominated shows in the TV at the time. But when she decided that it was enough, and decided to dedicate herself to music, she was met with a mediocre reception. It is kind of sad how it took Latin America (and of course, specifically Argentina) a couple of years to catch up with what Juana’s stuff, but her fanbase constantly grew, and now she is kind of held as a national hero in the indie scene. And 'Halo' is probably her biggest statement to date.

A thing that ‘Halo’ has in common with her previous album is how she uses her vocals without singing any lyrics. Her actual lyrics though, which are in Spanish, are really worth noticing regardless. Even though Juana has sung in English in occasion, her words and her voice probably would not have the same effect on the music if she did that on this record. There is something that feels… very Argentinian about this record. The tales of the “luz mala”, the cultural references, even some of the instrumentation in the most typically-folk-y tracks of the record sound somewhat informed by some folk musicians of the country, would not seem… logical to translate.

‘Halo’ is one of Juana’s best records, and probably her most expansive to date. She has always made loop-based music where the organic and the “futuristic” met in unexpected ways, and while we got music that we might not usually expect from her, it still feels extremely Juana Molina, since there is no one who sounds quite like her. And that is the best compliment that anyone could give this record.

Highlights: “Paraguaya”, “Sin dones”, “Lentísimo halo”, “In the Lassa”, “Cosoco”, “Cálculos y oráculos”, “A00 B01”, “Estalacticas”

You’ll like it if you like: Björk, CocoRosie, Julia Holter, The Books

Spoiler

Told You So :party:

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

a85oiMB.png

#05.

Natalia Lafourcade

"Tú sí sabes quererme"

from the album 'Musas'

Genre: Bolero son, Folk Pop

I am convinced that this is how true love sounds like. Some of the most wonderful lines and metaphors I have ever heard, and wonderful guitar work in hands of Los Macorinos too.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

DGSUWOb.png

#05.

Arca

'Arca'

Genre: Art Pop, Glitch Pop

Ambient Pop, Post-Industrial, IDM, Nueva canción latinoamerica

Country: Venezuela || Release Date: April 7th, 2017 || Label: XL

Over the past 5 years, Arca rose to popularity due to his collaborations with well-known artists such as Kanye West, Björk, FKA twigs, Kelela and most recently, Frank Ocean. But he also made a name by himself thanks to his own alien, dense and extremely detailed and influential brand of experimental electronic music. When he released his 2016 mixtape ’Entrañas’, he teased it with a track called “Sin Rumbo”, which was not like anything he had done before. His own vocals were at the forefront, singing in almost operatic way vulnerable and intimate lyrics over an unsettling instrumental. While this was just one track, it definitely left a mark on what would eventually become his third, self-titled full-length album.

It is worth noting that, while he is definitely using his vocals in most tracks of the album and it is his most accessible project yet, it still is not technically pop. I mean, it is about as pop as his music with Björk (who in some way inspired his singing) but the main influence in the way he is using his vocals seems to come from tonada, a type of South American folk music which is present in Argentina, Chile and his home country Venezuela. 

In 'Arca', Alejandro Ghersi uses his voice without any effects, in the most raw way possible, but the production is just as good as always. The message of the album seems to be that of the exploration of identity. Not only because he is singing in Spanish or is showing his queerness in its most unapologetic way, but because he is showing who he really is as a human being, without hiding anything about himself anymore.

Highlights: “Anoche”, “Urchin”, “Reverie”, “Castration”, “Sin rumbo”, “Whip”, “Desafío”, “Fugaces”, “Child”

You’ll like it if you like: Björk, Autechre, Perfume Genius, Nicolas Jaar, Coil, FKA twigs, Holly Herndon, Violeta Parra, Mercedes Sosa, Simón Díaz

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

oqW6UI6.png

#04.

Perfume Genius

"Slip Away"

from the album 'No Shape'

Genre: Art Pop

This is the closest to a modern "Running Up That Hill" we will ever get. Except that this is somehow even more euphoric and explosive.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

DYO0Q18.png

#04.

Kelly Lee Owens

'Kelly Lee Owens'

Genre: Tech House, Ambient Pop, Art Pop

Ambient Techno, Minimal Techno, Downtempo

Country: UK || Release Date: March 24th, 2017 || Label: Smalltown Supersound

The fact that Kelly Lee Owens turned out to be an electronic musician is, perhaps, accidental. She was a nurse taking care of people with terminal cancer, until she took her patients’ advice and followed a career in music. She worked in XL for some time as an intern, and was a member of dream-pop band The History of Apple Pie. But it wasn’t until techno producer Daniel Avery called her to sing on some of the tracks from his debut album, ‘Drone Logic’, that she would take a full interest in dance and electronic music, as well as becoming a producer herself.

Even though her debut EP ‘Oleic’ was mostly based on instrumental music, her self-titled debut is not necessarily stuck in that. In fact, opening track “S.O” has more in common with Julee Cruise heart-wrenching ballads than it does with Orbital’s brown album, for example. It sounds as if she took the atmosphere and the heavenly harmonies from her previous band’s music, setting it against a techno background. It’s understandable to see why many electronic music producers who are trying to make innovative club records are slowly leaving techno behind. Those who do not, such as Container, Pan Daijing or Powell, tend to approach it from its most visceral, noisy, abrasive side, and it does make it feel exciting.

However, what Kelly Lee Owens does is re-approaching the genre from its most melodic, pop-appealing elements – in its most literal way. You might be able to link KLO’s influences, but there is probably no one that sounds like her right now. Which is hard to do, not everybody can and let alone at their debut – which is why it will be exciting to see what she does in the future.

Highlights: “S.O”, “Anxi.” (feat. Jenny Hval), “Lucid”, “Bird”, “Throwing Lines”, “Keep Walking”, "8"

You’ll like it if you like: Jenny Hval, Daniel Avery, Laurel Halo, Global Communications, Underworld, The Knife, Julee Cruise, Julianna Barwick

Spoiler

Albums:
Number 1 Angel :gaycat2: Not a big fan of mixtapes but I was impressed! Pop 2 is DEFINITELY not better :thing:
After Laughter :date: They snapped, as always! No Friend in your highlights uhhh can't relate :celestial5:

Singles:
Told You So :jamming: Cut to the Feeling mmm :celestial4: She went all the way off on that chorus.

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

zJaVgui.png

#03.

Arca

"Desafío"

from the album 'Arca'

Even though I said he does not make typical pop music in this record, here he comes extremely close to, as every passage in this song is more or less a convincing hook, and the beat sounds almost dance-able in some way. However, the lyrics here are very sexual, in a kind of submissive-yet-demanding way, something rare to hear in music nowadays.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

kBsG5H8.png

#03.

Vince Staples

'Big Fish Theory'

Genre: Experimental Hip Hop, Hardcore Hip Hop

Hip House, UK Garage, Trap Rap

Country: USA || Release Date: June 23rd, 2017 || Label: Def Jam

Vince Staples was an artist that I always respected because of his extremely clear creative vision. Yet, his projects were either way too long for me, like his debut album 'Summertime '06', or his following EP, 'Prima Donna'. However, I still felt excited for all the recognition that he got in the past years, and on his sophomore record, 'Big Fish Theory', he fullfills the potential I initially saw in him.

The first thing you notice on the record is how forward-thinking the production is. That is no surprise when you have people like SOPHIE, Jimmy Edgar, Justin Vernon (a.k.a. Bon Iver) and others in charge of it, but most of anything, it is fun. Influences from grime, house, industrial, trap, miami bass, experimental club music and hyphy pop throughout the album, and while that might be a bit divisive, since not everyone is used to these genres, it definitely works for me, personally.

Is this the best rap album of the year? In my opinion, yes it is. Vince's flow and lyrics definitely fit with the experimental production, matching it in a rather weird yet perfect way. This is one of the biggest surprises I had this year, and one of the better records I heard as well.

Highlights: “Crabs in a Bucket", "Big Fish", "Love Can Be...", "745", "Yeah Right", "SAMO", "Party People", "BagBak", "Rain Come Down"

You’ll like it if you like: Danny Brown, Kanye West, Azealia Banks, Denzel Curry, Charli XCX, Lil Ugly Mane, Dizzee Rascal

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

Y6DIJ8M.png

#02.

Kelela

"LMK"

from the album 'Take Me Apart'

Genre: Alternative R&B

Gosh, probably the biggest banger of the year. It has the vaguely experimental sound Kelela is known for, yet it feels more pop in a non-pretentious yet focused way. Lots of attitude here as well!

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

xnJ8l26.png

#02.

Björk

'Utopia'

Ambient Pop, Folktronica, Birdsong, IDM, Post-Industrial, Chamber Folk

Country: Iceland || Release Date: November 24th, 2017 || Label: One Little Indian

A few years ago, after Icelandic musician Björk went through a divorce, she released ‘Vulnicura’, which was one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2015, and one of her most impressive works of her already ridiculously impressive discography.  It was a dense, orchestral work with abstract structures and abrasive beats, with lyrics that dealt with the loss of love, fear of losing one’s family, and pain in general. However, Björk did not want to deal with that for very long, so shortly after she finished touring that record, she started working on her new one.

The concept of the record was the “paradise” as opposed to the “hell” of the previous one, thus ‘Utopia’ was born – another product of the extense collaboration between Björk and Arca. And while this record feels more “happy” and less “heavy” than her previous album, it is still dense and not easy to digest, at least not for casual fans. The album’s length (71 minutes) certainly does not help either. Having said that, it still is as amazing as her previous records – and that is very high standard, one not easy to achieve by any means.

‘Utopia’ can be abstract both lyrically and sonically (“Claimstaker” sounds like something from her criminally underrated 2011 album ‘Biophilia’, and “Features Creatures” like something from the vocal-centered ‘Medúlla’) and at times even abrasive, like on the Rabit-co-produced “Losss”, which takes the industrial-noise beats from “Jóga” to a new level, which can make for a very unusual listening experience. However, it sounds like Björk at her most organic, taking everything she’s done on her previous works and making something completely new with them.

Also, queen of flutes!

Highlights: “Arisen My Senses”, “Blissing Me”, “The Gate”, “Utopia”, “Body Memory”, “Losss”, “Sue Me”, “Claimstaker”, “Saint”, “Future Forever”

You’ll like it if you like: Björk’s previous works (specifically ‘Vespertine’ and ‘Biophilia’), Jenny Hval, Arca, Rabit, Holly Herndon, Radiohead’s ‘The King of Limbs’, Oneohtrix Point Never, Joanna Newsom, Laurie Anderson

Spoiler

1xNzvl6.png

kxCv0Vf.png

Sj0lObT.png

#01.

Björk

"Blissing Me"

from the album 'Utopia'

Genre: Art Pop, Glitch Pop, Folktronica

This sounds, in some way, like "Pagan Poetry". Except that... I actually prefer this. Not because of anything in particular, other than the fact that I do not think Björk has ever sounded this happy. I think that this is how being in love for the first time sounds like. The lyrics and the instrumentation are both delicate and ridiculously honest... but I do not think I would like it any other way. It is perfect, just the way it is.

Spoiler

QOpGxzZ.png

XxwkOPt.png

#01.

Kelela

'Take Me Apart'

Genre: Alternative R&B, UK Bass

Art Pop, Contemporary R&B, Wonky, Ambient Pop

Country: USA || Release Date: October 5th, 2017 || Label: Warp

Kelela's first album took a while. Even though she has been an "alternative"-R&B mainstay since the release of her 2013 mixtape 'Cut 4 Me', her proper debut did not come until four years after. And I honestly did not expect to like it as much.

Do not get me wrong, I have always loved her music... but I also never really thought that her potential was fullfilled. 'Cut 4 Me' was somewhat inconsistent despite having excellent production, and 2015's 'Hallucinogen' EP was way too short. But 'Take Me Apart' is basically perfect in every way. The music is definitely R&B, but it also sounds like something never heard before. It sounds like the exploration of R&B as the sound of the past, the present and the future.

There are traces of iconic singers and performers of the genre like Janet Jackson, Aaliyah and Sade, as well as underrated yet influential acts like Cassie, Brandy or Monica. But there are also influences from Björk as well as avant-garde club music, perhaps brought by some of her collaborators such as Arca, Night Slugs' Jam City and PAN/Gatekeeper's ADR. Even though this combination is in no way unique, specially in the past few years, the way in which they are merged in here is something completely new.

Kelela's lyrics also show her as someone vulnerable and emotional, but decided and with a strong attitude, celebrating her black, queer identity in a very free and honest way. To have such a creative vision that manifests itself in her debut is something not only impressive, every track in here is perfect, both lyrically and sonically. 'Take Me Apart' is my favorite album of the year because of that. And it makes me very excited to think what is going to come after this.

Highlights: “Frontline", "Take Me Apart", "Enough", "Jupiter", "LMK", "Truth or Dare", "S.O.S.", "Blue Light", "Onanon", "Turn to Dust", "Bluff", "Altadena"

You’ll like it if you like: Janet Jackson, Aaliyah, Cassie, Sade, Björk, FKA twigs, Solange, Tinashe, Arca, experimental club music.

Spoiler

dope #1 and truly deserved. I also like everything else in the top 10. Glad this nice countdown was finished :clap3: 

Thanks to everyone. <3

Honestly, just so much good material from both your albums and singles set :jonny2: 

Twas a great countdown to follow :clap3: See you in 11 months :party: 

This convinced me to finally check out LMK after hearing plenty of great things about it :gaycat3: I liked ha!

Might check out snippets for the rest of the album. I'm not really a big fan of slow R&B, but if there's plenty of bops then I'm there.

This was another nice Best Of, despite not knowing a lot of stuff :clap3: See ya in December :fish1:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.