KillingYourCareer's Best of 2017

KillingYourCareer

TOP 50 SONGS

30. Brooke Borg - Golden

177 plays

1200x630bb.jpg

This Katy Perry-esque empowerment anthem came 2nd in the Maltese selection for the Eurovision in 2016. They went on to spend €1,000,000 on their flop participation with their biggest pop girl, which got them 16 televote points in total.

29. Katy Perry feat. Migos - Bon Appétit

178 plays

Katy_Perry_-_Bon_App%C3%A9tit_(Official_

One of the most undeserved flops ever. This song is a major bop and the video is a masterpiece. The fact that year-end lists have been bashing it just because it flopped is beyond me!

28. Kalomira - Secret Combination

179 plays

2fb74c357c5f4b46b20d37798a9c06de.jpg

Another Eurovision relic, this time from Greece, and from 2008. A folk bop that never gets old. Kalomira's performance still remains my favorite ever at the contest to date.

27. Katy Perry - Roulette

180 plays

Katy_Perry_-_Witness_(Official_Album_Cov

This song's peak in my year-end list is lower than its peak on the Russian charts. It's the reason why Katy is now a Communist icon. Russia truly saved her global status, who would've thought?

26. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry

182 plays

Sorry_Not_Sorry_(Official_Single_Cover)_

The pentasexual and pentaracial queen, Demetria Devonne Penelope Keyshia "Demi" Lovato came back with this sassy smasher which is currently #15 on the Billboard Hot 100, six months after its release. The fact that it's a Christina Aguilera reject probably made me like it more than it should.

25. Rita Ora - Anywhere

183 plays

Rita_Ora_-_Anywhere.png

I was never a fan of Your Song, which shares the title for most generic song of the year with The Cure, but with Anywhere she fully redeemed herself. Hopefully its success will convince her team to put out an album!

24. Katy Perry - Hey Hey Hey

185 plays

A big beautiful song with a horrid music video, yeah. Despite having the worst lyric of 2017 ("LOL at all your limits"), the chorus is super catchy and the fact that it only charted at #95 in Sweden is beyond me.

23. Taylor Swift - This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

186 plays

Taylor_Swift_-_Reputation.png

By far the catchiest thing Taylor delivered during this era, this bitter bop is everything I needed from her. A great contrast to the not-so-well-accomplished "serious" first part of the album, which bores me to death if I'm honest.

22. Adelén - Bombo

198 plays

Bombo-by-adelen.png

This dated electropop Norwegian summer smash from 2013, sung by one of the most atrocious live vocalists you could think of, was heard almost 200 times by me because you know how much I love catchy bops.

21. Jana Burčeska - Dance Alone

211 plays

Dance_Alone_cover.png

The #Burčesquad did anything to support this banger. I even traveled to Jana's home country, Macedonia, one month before the Eurovision to be blessed by her talent. And then she decided to screw it up with a messy performance... but we still love this bop that the tasteless Europeans didn't appreciate enough.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KillingYourCareer

• Navyofbadgals

• Legend E

• Unoriginal

Mind you, Miss You More is actually one of the better ones on Witless :cm: 

Well I'll say I actually like all the Katy songs here, even Hey Hey Hey

Sorry Not Sorry :katie2: 

Stan a bit for TIWWCHNT tho! That's unexpected

Bye Bye Bye above Roulette and Bon Appetit? NOT on my watch

Can't wait for Bigger Than Adele to reign

edit: I meant bigger successfully, don't report me :skull:

Edited by theblackestday

• ATRL Moderator

BA and TIWWCHNT :clap3: I think Power, Tsunami and BA is my listenable trinity from Witness so rooting for Power now

Not here for the shade @ the first half of rep tho :biblio:

Edited by Unoriginal

• ATRL Moderator

Secret Combination is an iconic and talented bop. Did Shady Lady also make the list? :keir: 

Sorry Not Sorry + Bon Appetit are my two most favorites from this set. :worship: 

22 hours ago, Lazuli said:

Mind you, Miss You More is actually one of the better ones on Witless :cm: 

Well I'll say I actually like all the Katy songs here, even Hey Hey Hey

Sorry Not Sorry :katie2: 

Stan a bit for TIWWCHNT tho! That's unexpected

How is it unexpected when I stan every pop girl basic bop in existence? :fan:

21 hours ago, theblackestday said:

Bye Bye Bye above Roulette and Bon Appetit? NOT on my watch

Can't wait for Bigger Than Adele to reign

edit: I meant bigger successfully, don't report me :skull:

Who even reports in these threads? :dies: Yeah, you have to wait for the final update to see it.

20 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

BA and TIWWCHNT :clap3: I think Power, Tsunami and BA is my listenable trinity from Witness so rooting for Power now

Not here for the shade @ the first half of rep tho :biblio:

There's a couple of Witness songs in my top ten, stay perched! :)

17 hours ago, Legend E said:

Secret Combination is an iconic and talented bop. Did Shady Lady also make the list? :keir: 

It barely missed it, actually. You know Secret Combination is my favorite Eurovision song of the 00s!

13 hours ago, lhdang2000 said:

Sorry Not Sorry + Bon Appetit are my two most favorites from this set. :worship: 

Well, check out this new update for further songs from your fave! :)

TOP 50 SONGS

20. Atomic Kitten - Whole Again

217 plays

Whole_Again.png

This song from 2000 is such an earworm for me. Known as one of the best-selling physical singles of the decade in several European countries, including the United Kingdom and Germany, it never gets old.

19. Liis Lemsalu - Keep Running

220 plays

f9f42fa6b815fca1457357fcc374a1a8.png

That one song that made me and @Lukey agree. It ain't no Verona, but it's a dreamy bop that's perfect to listen to on repeat during a winter nap.

18. Dihaj - Skeletons

228 plays

Skeletons_-_Dihaj.png

Azerbaijan's Eurovision 2017 entry, which sounds a lot like something Halsey would record. This alternative bop got all of my five televotes both in the semi-final and in the final--and the Italian jury gave it 12 points.

17. Alex Florea & Ilinca - Yodel It!

242 plays

Yodel_It_2017.jpg

Usually considered one of the most annoying Eurovision entries of the recent times, it still came 5th in televote thanks to its catchy hook where the girl is literally yodeling.

16. O'G3NE - Lights and Shadows

246 plays

og3ne-lights-and-shadows.jpg?w=560

The Dutch entry is surprisingly my most played Eurovision 2017 finalist. An underdog until the contest, the simple and emotional performance totally won me over.

15. Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me

249 plays

Demi_Lovato_-_Tell_Me_You_Love_Me_(Offic

While it didn't really impress me when it came out as a promo single, Demi's album's title track gradually grew on me until it became my favorite song on the record. The video is a disappointment, though.

14. Brooke Borg - Unstoppable

254 plays

1200x630bb.jpg

This Maltese candidate for the Eurovision that came 4th in the national selection outstreamed all of the contest's finalists in my yearly chart. I love the Katy Perry-esque empowering sound, and Brooke's performing skills.

13. Ace Wilder - Busy Doin' Nothin'

261 plays

Busy-Doin-Nothin-cover.jpg

This Swedish club banger about being lazy is perfect for me to listen to when I'm procrastinating... which is pretty much all of the time.

12. Katy Perry - Wide Awake

296 plays

Katy_Perry_-_Wide_Awake_single_cover.jpg

Wide Awake is my favorite song of all time, and my third-most streamed song after Give Me All Your Luvin' and Mr. Saxobeat. I love everything about it: from the lyrics, which are about a disappointment that gave a revelation--a very general topic perfect for many occasions--to the haunting, dreamy music, to the way Katy's vocals are edited. The music video is an all-time favorite for me as well. Despite not being a fan at the beginning, I fell in love with it on July 15, 2012 during the afternoon when I fell asleep with this song on repeat. I had a dream about sitting alone in my room and ghostwriting Taylor Swift's songs.

11. Miley Cyrus - Younger Now

315 plays

Younger_Now_(Official_Single_Cover)_by_M

Younger Now is my 11th most played album, and my 11th most played track. I fell in love with this song right away, because it makes me feel at peace, and because I can relate: I used to be such a ho, but now I've stabilized!

Ahhh Keep Runnin' :smitten: 

• ATRL Moderator

TMYLM is great tbh, took a bit to grow on me too

The story about Wide Awake :dies: 

5 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

16. O'G3NE - Lights and Shadows

246 plays

og3ne-lights-and-shadows.jpg?w=560

The Dutch entry is surprisingly my most played Eurovision 2017 finalist. An underdog until the contest, the simple and emotional performance totally won me over.

oh wow you played it more than me

congrats on being officially dutch now

The video for TMYLM was great tho. :angry: 

Her best MV. :angry: I know that doesn't mean much tho. :dies: Her videography is horrible. 

Younger Now is such an awful track to me.

Glad you relate to it tho. :clap3: 

Wide Awake is cute. :clap3: 

TMYLM :clap3: 

Wide Awake still being here :dies: Good song tho

Younger Now almost making the top 10 is a touchy subject :keir: 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, Lukey said:

I appreciate it even more now that this year's Estonian selection sux. :'(

On 11/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, Unoriginal said:

There are SO many stories about Wide Awake, it's my go-to song when I'm sad. :)

On 11/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Navyofbadgals said:

Yas I'm one of the most beautiful Europeans now. :clap3:

On 12/1/2018 at 0:34 AM, lhdang2000 said:

Her best MV. :angry: I know that doesn't mean much tho. :dies: Her videography is horrible. 

I can't think of a Demetria Lovato video that I like, actualy. :dies:

On 12/1/2018 at 4:39 AM, Lazuli said:

A Demetria Lovato peaking at #11 on the Hot 100 and at #2 on the Billboard 200 during the Confident era tea. :)

TOP 50 SONGS

10. Kati Wolf - "What About My Dreams?"

322 plays

What-about-my-dreams-kati-wolf.jpg

This Hungarian electropop eccelence from 2011 is still here (@prézli where you at? Hopefully sleeping). It was the first year I watched the Eurovision, and I fell in love with this song in particular.

9. Halsey - Bad at Love

328 plays

DF9K2LBUQAIQtaj.jpg

The pentasexual and pentaracial legend had be shook with this top ten smash hit. It's such an earworm. When I start listening to it, I can't stop.

8. Edyta Górniak - To nie ja

398 plays

dotyk-w-iext47620950.jpg

As I promised to @lightstheyblindme, here is the 1994 song that made it to my list. It's the runner-up at the Eurovision Song Contest 1994, from Poland. This is one of my all-time favorites: from the Mariah-esque vocals (albeit stronger), to the fantastic lyrics about being different in a world where everybody's the same, to the beautiful and simple performance.

7. Wiktoria - Save Me

414 plays

Save_Me_-_Wiktoria.jpg

I fell in love with this Swedish girl and her girly voice, electro-country style that's always cheerful and positive, and lyrics about being in the middle of nowhere and trying to find the way home.

6. Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm

419 plays

Katy_Perry_-_Chained_to_the_Rhythm_(Offi

The smash hit that cemented Katy Perry's legend status in Eastern Europe was also a hit in my own airwaves. Of course, it's the comeback single from my fave, so I was going to overplay it.

5. Dua Lipa - New Rules

422 plays

New_Rules_(Official_Single_Cover)_by_Dua

Dua Lipa was the surprise of the year. When I first bought the album I didn't notice the smash potential in this song, and I'm so happy that she did find success. Hopefully, IDGAF follows the same path, as it's my most played song of 2018 so far!

4. Wiktoria - As I Lay Me Down

485 plays

Wiktoria_-_As_I_Lay_Me_Down.jpg

It's Save Me 2.0, but better. Between the more guitar-y instrumental and the post-chorus breakdown that sounds exactly like Shawn Mendes' in There's Nothin' Holdin' Me Back (except Wiktoria released her Swedish smash hit months earlier), it's an improvement from her previous work, which was already great.

3. Katy Perry - Bigger Than Me

490 plays

The Europop classic of Witness was, of course, my favorite. It sounds like something Belgium would send to the Eurovision and achieve 4th place with. I love the lyrics, which are about fighting for your own rights even if everyone is against you--it's sad to see many people looked past this message and just got on the hate bandwagon, because this song is brilliant.

2. Koit Toome & Laura - Verona

521 plays

Verona_-_Koit_Toome_&_Laura.jpeg

This one goes out to my fellow #MafiaDiVerona men, @Navyofbadgals, @Alpha, @Kylie Jenner, @IMadeYouReadThis, @MayorOfTrollTown, and many others. The song that defined my 2017. Laura Põldvere a.k.a. Lucifer Remmel a.k.a. Paula Mustikas provided us with a gifboard for a lifetime. Fun fact about this song: I talked about this song so much that my boyfriend eventually became a stan too and purchased both the English and the Italian versions on iTunes.

1. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma

562 plays

PINK_-_Beautiful_Trauma_(Official_Album_

Verona might be THE classic of 2017, but P!nk's latest single takes the crown as my most played song of the year. While with Verona it took me a few weeks in order to appreciate it, I loved Beautiful Trauma right away. I'd listen to it for hours without getting tired of it, and whenever I hear it now I still want to put it on replay. It's not the typical P!nk song sonically--you could think that music was written by Bonnie McKee for Katy Perry--but the lyrics couldn't be anyone else's. The video elevated the song to an even higher level, and even though for now it hasn't been doing sparks on the charts, I hope it does achieve better commercial results.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, Lukey said:

I appreciate it even more now that this year's Estonian selection sux. :'(

On 11/1/2018 at 4:53 PM, Unoriginal said:

There are SO many stories about Wide Awake, it's my go-to song when I'm sad. :)

On 11/1/2018 at 8:07 PM, Navyofbadgals said:

Yas I'm one of the most beautiful Europeans now. :clap3:

On 12/1/2018 at 0:34 AM, lhdang2000 said:

I can't think of a Demetria Lovato video that I like, actualy. :dies:

On 12/1/2018 at 4:39 AM, Lazuli said:

A Demetria Lovato peaking at #11 on the Hot 100 and at #2 on the Billboard 200 during the Confident era tea. :)

• ATRL Moderator

Chained :!ohno:

Bad at Love :clap3: wasn't expecting it on this list let alone so high

New Rules just snatching that top five position :jonny:

Bigger Than Me is... a choice :eli:

I enjoyed What About Us but then kinda just didn't listen to Beautiful Trauma at all :dies: I feel like I should tho

20 minutes ago, Unoriginal said:

Chained :!ohno:

Bad at Love :clap3: wasn't expecting it on this list let alone so high

New Rules just snatching that top five position :jonny:

Bigger Than Me is... a choice :eli:

I enjoyed What About Us but then kinda just didn't listen to Beautiful Trauma at all :dies: I feel like I should tho

Most of my What About Us plays come from the radio because it gets spammed so hard here. :dies: Beautiful Trauma is that pure pop that never fails on me!

Verona deserved #1 :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.