GQ: "Bad Liar one of the best songs of the year"

35 posts in this topic

GQ just namef Bad Liar as one of the best songs that defined 2017 :alexz:

selena-gomez-bad-liar-interscope.jpg?fit

Selena Gomez is our nation's best A&R, full stop. She picks the best songwriters (often the aforementioned Michaels, with her lyrical partner Justin Tranter) and producers in pop music. She shepherds new behind-the-scenes talent and turns them into the most in-demand music makers in the world once she's through with them. The Talking Heads-indebted "Bad Liar" is the synthesis of all that legwork. A breathless, hyper-obsessed song with deeply weird lyrics (please chisel "But just like the Battle of Troy / There's nothing subtle here" onto my headstone, cheers) finds Gomez warbling in utmost control over one of the year's best samples (Tina Weymouth and your magical bass, we thank you). Maybe you'd written Selena off before. Maybe you still do. So maybe stop doing that, put "Bad Liar" on a loop, and get with the times.

Full list: 

https://www.gq.com/story/13-songs-that-defined-music-in-2017

Another one in the basket :fan: 

Ahh I love hot tea

x9Z7NOi.gif

How many different magazines has her management paid this year? :skull: 

Congrats to her.

Personally I dislike the song and it is probably at he bottom of her discography for me. But that is the great thing about taste that it can be different for every person. I just find the fact it 'defined 2017' a too much of a statement though.

Any song by Kim Petras is better than this overrated song

The song is excellent. It's also a refreshing change to the other mainstream music that's out.

Selena Gomez is for music like alternative medicines for health. Both have no use but people still consume them.

Just now, VenusFly said:

Selena Gomez is for music like alternative medicines for health. Both have no use but people still consume them.

edgy.

---

the acclaim :clap3: 

1 minute ago, VenusFly said:

did she do something to you?

Was this writer drunk?

1 minute ago, Zatanna said:

did she do something to you?

No. Did she do something for music? I don't think so. But good for her fans and listeners that she got this praise :clap3:

Selena wins again

ATRL loses again

:fan:

Facts only.

2 minutes ago, VenusFly said:

No. Did she do something for music? I don't think so. But good for her fans and listeners that she got this praise :clap3:

She must have done something to you to deserve such bizarre insults. 

The payola with this song :rip: 

Just now, Zatanna said:

She must have done something to you to deserve such bizarre insults. 

I think you should check what does 'bizarre' mean

jwHHw88.gif

Just now, VenusFly said:

I think you should check what does 'bizarre' mean

jwHHw88.gif

i'm not even necessarily a selena fan, but like what are you even going on about? do you think that every artist needs to have a profound impact on the landscape they inhabit? :skull:

16 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

yeah, they didn't pay radio to play the song but they decided to pay every major publication in December to praise the song :rip: makes sense

3 minutes ago, Zatanna said:

i'm not even necessarily a selena fan, but like what are you even going on about? do you think that every artist needs to have a profound impact on the landscape they inhabit? :skull:

I think that artists should be creative. If not, at least have good vocals, performing skills, dancing. If not, have an entertaining, controversial career. I can't think what good does Selena for pop.

7 minutes ago, VenusFly said:

I think that artists should be creative. If not, at least have good vocals, performing skills, dancing. If not, have an entertaining, controversial career. I can't think what good does Selena for pop.

The bitterness

I don't get why people are so up her ass.

She's awful, like how anyone can listen to that is beyond me. 

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Any song by Kim Petras is better than this overrated song

Kim Petras a pop queen:alexz:

28 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

:cm: 

Seriously it's ridiculous. 'Fetish' is the best song she released this year. :'(

14 minutes ago, VenusFly said:

plenty of people find her creative and even if not that, her relationship drama has entertained a lot of people on this site. why are you so bitter over her? it's really super strange.