The Depression Lounge

1,285 posts in this topic

A thread for depressed users to share stories and tips to overcome their depression.

--

Tips to help with Depression:

Spoiler

- don't compare yourself to anybody else

- don't be too hard on yourself, the same for everyone around you (we have all our stories, don't be too judgemental)

- accept your weakness, this is who you are... And be aware of your strengths!!!

- don't be rushed, take your time

- don't rely too much on meds, it's the worst thing in life and they don't heal deeply... The biggest cure will be provide by yourself

- relax, meditate, walk through the nature, use essential oils... And give a try to self-hypnosis, there's many videos on youtube, they can help

I've suffered from anxiety since early childhood and depression since 2012. 

I managed to overcome my depression this year with a mix of therapy, meds and removing negative people in my life. I also started a new relationship which is way healthier than the one I ended before this summer (I was in it for 8 years).

Once the cloud of depression started clearing up, I realized how toxic my relationship was. I also realized some of my "friends" had to be removed from my life because they were toxic af. 

Now, I'm in a relationship with a beautiful, kind man who treats me with love I now know I deserve. The friends around me support me and lift me up. Because of depression, I never believed I deserved good things. Now I do. 

Sup. I'm not diagnosed but I'm pretty much 100% sure I have a somewhat severe depression and anxiety issues. This winter has been really tough on me so far, I've had multiple week long episodes where I have basically abandoned all human interaction, neglected my studies and felt like my passions and hobbies were senseless and drained me even more than they brought me joy. When I do feel like I have the power to not just surrender to my thoughts and be paralyzed, I try to go out and I've tried reaching out to people but... everything kind of reminds me how miserable I still am and the people in my life (even the ones who have similar struggles) never get a full grasp on how much I actually struggle on not wanting to just end it all

I spent the last week in a psychiatry due to my depression and anxiety. I had suicidal thoughts too :'( they let me go home for the weekend and told me to come on Monday to spend a couple of days more in the psychiatry.. but they let me go home :celestial2: I need to go back on Friday for a check up 

I didn't realize how bad and suffocating my anxiety was until I had to write a story for my writing fiction class and I just wrote a romance between two guys but I based the main character on myself. The story itself was acclaimed but everyone told me my main character's thoughts were so suffocating and exhausting and I just sat there like....that's my head every day :dancehall3:

I think I'm slipping into depression. Music is able to make me feel happy temporarily but I'm depressed when I'm not distracting myself with something. I have been doing terrible academically and I can't get myself to study at all. I've gone to a new college and haven't been able to make friends with these strangers. It's too difficult because of my anxiety. It's all just getting worse and worse and my health is declining too. :'( 

Also I'm currently in the process of moving to another high school. I think a change in the environment would have an effect :beatfreak: hopefully I make friends there

Depression has different phases and I feel like I've been slipping back into my all time low lately.

However! Props to everyone who's genuinely trying to get their **** together and get better, cause once you put effort into it, it really pays back. I will work on getting better too, cause after years of diagnosed depression I kinda have a sense of what helps for me and what doesn't. Spending weeks in bed alone and not taking care of myself doesn't.

34 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Also I'm currently in the process of moving to another high school. I think a change in the environment would have an effect :beatfreak: hopefully I make friends there

Be prepared for everything but I hope it goes well for you and you like it! The change of environment often really helps 

Am I the only one who hates when people fake depression and social anxiety for the sake of being cool and trendy? :skull: It makes me so mad 

I saw a facebook post by some dumb girl which said that she's too afraid to send a message to somebody because of her social anxiety, yet she made a facebook post :skull: 

Just now, Illuminati said:

Be prepared for everything but I hope it goes well for you and you like it! The change of environment often really helps 

I hope so :beatfreak: I have a friend from my middle school there so hopefully it would be somewhat easier

3 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Am I the only one who hates when people fake depression and social anxiety for the sake of being cool and trendy? :skull: It makes me so mad 

Well you never truly know when they're faking it. Just the fact that they want to be depressed to prove something already shows that there's something wrong with them inside. But yeah casual mood swings or being just not in the mood shouldn't be referred to as depression 

Just now, Illuminati said:

Well you never truly know when they're faking it. Just the fact that they want to be depressed to prove something already shows that there's something wrong with them inside. But yeah casual mood swings or being just not in the mood shouldn't be referred to as depression 

yeah but I hate when people think that mental illnesses are edgy and cool :skull: 

53 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

I saw a facebook post by some dumb girl which said that she's too afraid to send a message to somebody because of her social anxiety, yet she made a facebook post :skull: 

I hate when people glorify or romanticize mental illnesses like depression and anxiety to be “edgy” or whatever they’re going for. It’s so f***ing gross.

Congratulations to everyone that are aware of their depression and that are trying to do something for themselves by seeking the necessary help. It's hard and sometimes it seems impossible to overcome this but the truth is you can do it and you can eradicate it. It takes time, depending on the severity, so please be kind, supportive with yourself and commited because in the end you will be the one winning and living the beautiful life that you deserve. Lots of love and kind thoughts to each and everyone of you.

11 minutes ago, PrinceLightning said:

Congratulations to everyone that are aware of their depression and that are trying to do something for themselves by seeking the necessary help. It's hard and sometimes it seems impossible to overcome this but the truth is you can do it and you can eradicate it. It takes time, depending on the severity, so please be kind, supportive with yourself and commited because in the end you will be the one winning and living the beautiful life that you deserve. Lots of love and kind thoughts to each and everyone of you.

:clap3: 

i have struggled with depression and anxiety for 13 years now and it's a battle but i'm still here and still going strong although it's not always easy.

anxiety wise today was a bad day. i wanted to go shopping to the mall because i needed new clothes and some stuff from ikea but my mum couldn't go with me so I went alone. there were so many people and my anxiety was really, really bad. especially in ikea, i felt quiet light-headed. i listened to some music with my noise cancelling earphones wich made it better but it was still a struggle. now i'm home where it's quiet and i feel so much better now. :alexz3:

I started working out again and I'm seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm optimistic tbh :duca:

2 hours ago, Ailan said:

I'm not diagnosed, but my social anxiety is so bad, I'm thinking about taking beta blockers because I need to reduce my physical symptoms, but I'm afraid of side effects...

Have you taken them before? I don't think side effects are usually a big issue with beta blockers. Maybe some minor stuff like being tired, dry mouth, cold hands. It's different for everybody though. :heart2:

57 minutes ago, velocity said:

i felt quiet light-headed. i listened to some music with my noise cancelling earphones wich made it better but it was still a struggle.

If you were feeling light-headed, then maybe some deep breathing and mindfulness could help a little bit :hug:

11 minutes ago, Revolution said:

I started working out again and I'm seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm optimistic tbh :duca:

I've thought about working out too to relieve my stress and anxiety but I'm physically weak :toofunny3: 

off topic: I'm in love with your avi :smitten: 

3 minutes ago, MTrain Grande said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MguxaT7ZW-s

Do these work for anyone? The Oddly satisfying videos. They never make me more satisfied. :emofish: 

I think they're only meant to be visually satisfying not actually make you feel a certain way. They portray satisfying perfection while also being somewhat ASMR like with the visuals of things that are satisfying to touch for example.