Gimme 7 minutes 

Edited by Dessy Fenix

LiJxyFC.png

ENTRIES

@bestfiction

Spoiler

If I were an artist.

1. The beginning

Madonna is the blueprint of a pop star so I’m going to represent my career in three Madonna songs. At the beginning of it I’m likely to be forced to make trendy hits. After one or to smashes my career will start to take off. Also I’m obviously selling sex and try to do some controversy on it. This is how the industry works and I’m accepting the rules.

2. The Artistic Peak

With each new hit, I will get an opportunity to have more freedom in my career and on my third record will be produced by me. Ten years into my career I’m gonna change my sound and become more calm and mature. I will show my vulnerability as a person with an open heart that can easily get damaged. My work might not get popular but it will still have and impact and get appreciated over the years. Then I’m gonna go on experimenting with genres. The best thing about Madonna is that how she was able to feel the upcoming trends and jump on them and stay relevant. But that’s another story…

3. The Legend Goes On…

After I became a legend and built a huge legacy, I’m gonna troll my fans with generic trash songs because it’s what they deserve for letting my magnum opus get panned and flopped. I’m still gonna get sold out stadiums though.

My biggest regret

1. My biggest regret is when I decided to find a boyfriend and I started lurking through social media. I didn’t have other alternatives sadly. So yeah, it’s pretty simple: we seemed to like each other but then he sort of ghosted me after meeting irl and I thought I need to be initiative to make him interested in me. Not a cute concept tbh. So I’ve chosen “Little Of Your Love” because basically it’s what he needed to do actually. It  was that simple, dumbass :) Also buy HAIM's new album "Something to Tell You" on itunes.

2. After a year I still managed to have feelings towards this guy. I was frustrated with the communication so gradually we stopped talking. Then I met him at the club (it was the first time I went to a club) and I was a little bit drunk but conscious so I’ve told him that I liked him and would’ve had relationship with him if he liked me. He said that he liked my Instagram and left. Welp. I had been very depressed for months after that (oh wow, didn’t realize that I’m so extra) and I couldn’t find a way until… 

3. Until the Russian Queen of Pop Olga Buzova came and released her song “Sama Po Sebe” (“On My Own”) the song is basically about the breakup and Olga states that she’s on her own and promises to be free. This is very relatable to me as well because from now on, I promised myself to be on my guard and not let myself fall for anyone that desperately hard. This is the lesson I had to learn. 

Translation

1. Me as a Group Member

As I pop group member, I’m not going to stand out as a powerhouse vocalist because it’s too basic and boring. Instead, I’m going to use an image of a cute and innocent gurl with a little bit of childish arrogance, like “Look, I’m so funny and kewl and also I’m the best one! Yay!” Also I’m bringing super retro aesthetics to the table and adding a little bit of disco in every song. Basically every young girl that isn’t hit by puberty would stan me. After my third album with the group I will leave because I would not like the direction we would be going to and start solo career. My first single would be a surprising experimental bop which would receive widespread acclaim. I will also abandon the innocent girl style but I’m gonna do it gradually to keep it organic.

@Dessy Fenix

Spoiler

If It Were An Artist 

Rihanna - BBHMM

Brash, self-bragging, f*** you pay me, over a catchy trap beat. I think I would prefer a go-hard style as an artist proclaiming whatever I want. I mean who doesn’t want have to have folks dancing to your songs at parties and clubs? 

Adele - Rolling In the Deep

Unapologetic, vengeful lover with soul influences. I usually connect with breakup/love songs that protray a fierce ex-lover so I imagine this would be along the style of those songs I would make as well as some of the music influences that would be found throughout my discography. 

FKA Twigs - Video Girl

This songs represents several things. Firstly this indie-urban style presents with FKA music is something that I tend to enjoy. There’s something ultimately unique about the style that would make me stand out as an artist. Second, the story-telling is similar to how I would describe an event or experience from the side of the person talking to me or witnessing something. Thirdly, I would love to work with indie/experimental producers such as Haynie (the dude who also made Two Weeks), Boots and Arca. 

-------
My Biggest Regret

Image result for ex lover

The Summer exlover that got away

the heart.
Usher - Climax

We were enjoying a relationship that started in the early summer. It wasn’t too serious but we had so much free time so we just spent most of it together. Eventually it was about time for him to move away again and ultimately there was no way that we could compromise (both in different unis) so it felt like we reached a peak of the relationship.

the soul.
Mariah Carey - Without You 

This was the last date before he had to move back. We wanted to make the best of it but I can just tell he was just sad. Mariah represent my inner soul seeing this unfolding and wondering if I should’ve done more.

the mind.
Frank Ocean - Thinkin About You

I’m often looking back to that eventful summer and wondering how is this person doing. Frank represent my mind exaggerating some details and leaving out critical statements toward this exlover. So I do wonder what I could do if I saw him again. 

----

I AM THE ONE THEY CALL A QUEEN

I’m all about learning from failure and attempting things once more. There’s few reasons to consider anything on the first try as a waste. As Aaliyah sings, “I might be shy on the first date, what about the next date”. Also the sounds of the sound represents the style of music that I enjoy and bop to daily. This is all about positivity/upbeat-ness and redemption for me. 

Image result for aaliyah dancing gif

@Tsareena

Spoiler

giphy.gif

I used dream a lot about the kind of artist I’d be so this was fun to put it into 3 songs. I think conceptually I’ll go for a afro-futuristic vibe and aesthetic for my music. Afrofuturism is basically just a combination of modern futurism (flying cars, cyborgs, light beams and other stuff like that) with non-western cosmologies and themes. And since I’m Nigerian, I’ll be focused on capturing the many cultures we have but with that futuristic twist

(sorry it's long lol and here's a link to translated lyrics too X)

This song really captures the aesthetic I’d go for and that I’d definitely want to make the bops so people can shake their asses to my music too. Lagbaja always wore a mask too and that’s something I see myself doing too not really for anonymity but just to blur the lines between genders with my sound so I imagine like colorful spacesuits and helmets too

fWKF93o.jpg

So sound wise, Corinne Bailey Rae’s ‘Been To The Moon’ captures the kind of production and metaphors I’d go for. The throwback production makes you think of Prince but there’s something still fresh about it so it feels nostalgic but still sounds new.

I've been to the moon, don't tempt me
I've been where you are, God help me
I've been to the moon and stars for you
And now it’s your turn to go for me too

And just lyrics-wise it’s about loving someone but seeing that they’re not putting effort in you but using themes of space travel makes it feel dramatic and out of this world which I really vibe with.

Subject wise, I definitely see myself also going political with my music. So I went with Asa’s Jailer for my last song. It’s all about hypocrisy and that applies to a lot of socio-political issues from poverty to LGBT rights 

If you walking in a market place
Don’t throw stones
Even if you do, you just might hit
One of your own
Life is not about your policies
All the time
So you better rearrange your
Philosophies and be good to your Fellow man
Jailer

giphy.gif

I hate thinking about this question because the first thing I always think of is the abuse in my past but ignoring that before I overshare. I think my biggest regret in life is simply that I've never let myself be or seen myself as being "Free" 

Honestly this one song pretty much covers it for my biggest regret but of course I'll try to expand on it with my other song choices. I know it's just a cover but Nina adds a lot of meaning to this since it was released in 1967 around the civil rights movement

I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart
Remove all the bars that keep us apart
I wish you could know what it means to be me
Then you'd see and agree
That every man should be free

Nina sings about the desire to live in a world free of racism and I definitely relate to that as a black man but I think queer people can also identify with that feeling of just wanting to be who you are in the open. And for me it wasn't just my sexuality that I wanted to feel open about but even my interests and just who I am as person. Growing up, I definitely had a lot more "girly" interests. Read fashion magazines before playing soccer, had only female friends, only wanted to play as "Peach" in smash bros and of course my family always used that criticize me. So for the longest time, I felt ashamed of my interests and of who I was so not only did I feel pressured to be who I wasn't, there was also an internal pressure to give up the things I loved or be ashamed of them.

So avoiding my interests and forcing myself into things I didn't like made me feel really isolated so the next song kinda captures that kind of loneliness where even with someone or in my case friends, I still felt far away and isolated.

Alone:

Talking to myself is boring conversation
Me and I are not friends
She is only an acquaintance

WIth You:

Talking to myself is boring conversation
You and I were once friends
Now you're only an acquaintance

In both cases you're still stuck in your head and that can be suffocating and I felt like that all came from me always trying to be someone I'm not and making sure the people around me were satisfied with who I was.

So the whole wanting to be free thing and being lonely was always there in boarding school and when I got the chance to go to college here in the U.S., I always thought everything would work out and I'd have a life I'd actually enjoy but at the end of my freshman year, I realized I hadn't changed much since boarding school and this quote kinda resonated with that feeling

"If you hide your whole life, you'll forget who you even are" - Summer Storm, 2004

So for my final song, I'll go with Marina and the Diamond's Living Dead. The summer after my freshman year, this album, Electra Heart was my best friend and really put a lot of the feelings I had at the time into relatable fun bops. I really could have picked 3 songs from the album for this round too 

Everyday I feel the same
Stuck, and I can never change
Sucked into a black balloon
Spat into an empty room

So it really started to feel like I was stuck in a place and I didn't know how to get out of that mindsight and it's something I'm still struggling with today but the self-awareness has been a blessing. :celestial3:

giphy.gif

A message to the judges xoxo

giphy-downsized-large.gif

•  

Thank you for participating.

Edited by swiftie13

Bye I thought the last bit was suppose to be anonymous :cm:  

These all look good tho

Edited by Dessy Fenix

waittt why the last one isn't anonymous? well. guess mine wouldn't be hard to guess anyway :cm:

• ATRL Moderator

screaming at swiftie not sticking to her word. love the entries :gaycat2: I was feeling emushional when I wrote mine so uhm... yeah

Sorry I had forgotten about that, to be honest my life has been an emotional mess for the past few weeks, I’m surprised I’m even moving forward with this finale. Sorry :/ but I’m sure the judges haven’t seen it yet. Yikes, I’ll fix it tomorrow or Idk someone send help please 

• ATRL Moderator
7 hours ago, swiftie13 said:

Sorry I had forgotten about that, to be honest my life has been an emotional mess for the past few weeks, I’m surprised I’m even moving forward with this finale. Sorry :/ but I’m sure the judges haven’t seen it yet. Yikes, I’ll fix it tomorrow or Idk someone send help please 

:heart2: don’t sweat it

Take your time, pastor. Most of us are pretty much in limbo until New Years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody. I...don't think we're going to be getting word from the host of this game, so I decided I'll use the public results of the last completed round to determine the placements.

@Tsareena, as the winner of the challenge, you are 1st place! :clap3: Congratulations!

@bestfiction, you were second place on the last challenge, so you will be second obviously.

@Dessy Fenix, this makes you third! Of course, you're still a winner and you should be proud. :heart2: 

I'm gonna put y'all in the Games winners thread and this will be closed.

But I'm gonna give this thread like a day to be open if y'all wanna comment anything.

• ATRL Moderator
On 1/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, Hug said:

Hello everybody. I...don't think we're going to be getting word from the host of this game, so I decided I'll use the public results of the last completed round to determine the placements.

@Tsareena, as the winner of the challenge, you are 1st place! :clap3: Congratulations!

@bestfiction, you were second place on the last challenge, so you will be second obviously.

@Dessy Fenix, this makes you third! Of course, you're still a winner and you should be proud. :heart2: 

I'm gonna put y'all in the Games winners thread and this will be closed.

I want to know the results of the final challenge

QgN8g4w.gif