Katy faces massive media backlash over Britney dig

424 posts in this topic

TIME: 

Katy Perry Just Shaded Britney Spears on the Red Carpet

Feb 12, 2017

Katy Perry is back in a big way with a new single and a chic blonde look. But as the "Chained to the Rhythm" singer walked the red carpet at the Grammy Awards Sunday night, Perry snuck in some unexpected remarks referencing Britney Spears and her famously public breakdown.

In not one but two different interviews on the red carpet, Perry threw shade at her fellow pop star

Huffington Post:

Joking About Mental Health Is Not A Good Look, Katy Perry

Just when we thought Katy Perry was out of the celebrity feud game for good, the singer may have just inadvertently ignited another war between pop music fandoms.

Perry was presumably referencing a tumultuous period in Spears’ career around 2007, when she famously shaved her head a day after reportedly leaving a rehab facility. Spears would go on to check back into rehab weeks later after exhibiting erratic behavior. Britney fans immediately took to Twitter to remind Perry that joking about mental health is never a good move, launching the #KatyPerryIsOver hashtag. Somewhere Taylor Swift is smiling. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/katy-perry-britney-spears-grammys_us_58a10115e4b03df370d77f89

Daily Mail:

Britney Spears soaks up the sun in bikini snap while skipping the Grammys as her fans lash out at Katy Perry for ‘mental health’ jab

Katy Perry seemingly took a low blow at the pop princess just hours before while attending the 59th Annual Grammy Awards.

But Britney Spears - who skipped this year's ceremony - took the 'mental health' jab in stride on Sunday as she posted a bikini snapshot of herself soaking up the sun. 

However, the 35-year-old Grammy winner's fans jumped on the comment made by Katy that appeared to 'throw shade' at Britney.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4218768/Britney-Spears-bikini-snap-fans-slam-Katy-Perry.html

Glamour Magazine: 

Katy Perry just took a dig at Britney Spears at the Grammys...Awkward...

Ouch. Katy Perry has caused a stir at the Grammys after name-checking Britney Spears while talking about her mental health. A little unnecessary, Katy? We think so.

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/katy-perry-makes-a-dig-at-britney-spears-at-grammys-2017

US Magazine: 

Katy Perry is being slammed on social media for seemingly shading Britney Spears’ 2007 head-shaving meltdown during an interview with Ryan Seacrest on the 2017 Grammys red carpet on Sunday, February 12. Watch the awkward moment in the video above.  Seacrest moved on from the comment, remarking instead on Perry’s new blonde hair color before they started talking about her new political track, which she dropped last Friday. But the singer later made the same comment during an interview with CBS, causing fans to create the hashtag #KatyPerryIsOverParty, which quickly trended on Twitter. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/katy-perry-slammed-for-britney-spears-head-shaving-grammys-comment-w466592

Katy Perry has joked about Britney Spears shaved head incident FIVE time since 2010, as Buzzfeed reports. 

Excerpts from Buzzfeed:

FIRST TIME

Katy’s first Britney head-shaving dig happened in 2010 in a radio interview with Radio 2. In the interview, Katy alludes to the fact that she won’t have a breakdown, but may shave her head someday:
“My first record didn’t take off until I was 23 so I was perhaps in a different headspace to someone who became successful at a younger age. If you’re starting at 14 or 15 your maturity hasn’t fully evolved. I’m not going to say I won’t mess up, because someday I might want to shave my head. But not today because I’ll get sunburn! I’m lucky because I have a great support system.”

SECOND TIME

In another radio interview, she brought up the head-shaving thing again:

“It’s like being number one and being hot is a lot to live up to. I’m gonna shave my head next year. I can’t handle the pressure… beating up your car with an umbrella.”

THIRD TIME

Then, in 2015, in an interview with Elle, Katy brought up the head-shaving yet AGAIN. She said:

“You think you signed up for one thing, but you automatically sign up for a hundred others. And that is why you see people shaving their ****ing heads.”

FOURTH TIME

FIFTH TIME

When talking about her hair color, Katy said:

“It’s like the last color in the spectrum (blonde.) I’ve done all of ‘em. The only thing left to do is shave my head which I’m really saving for a public breakdown. I’m down for that.”

THEN, with Ryan Seacrest, she explained why she took a break from music:

“Well, that’s called taking care of my mental health… I haven’t shaved my head yet!”

Buzzfeed says:

It’s just like what the ****?! Katy’s been using Britney’s breakdown as some sort of joke for years now. She acts like she has some sort of badge of honor because she herself hasn’t had a Britney-level breakdown. While she might not mean to, Katy just ends up just trivializing a serious mental health situation – something that was actually completely out of Britney’s control.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/why-is-this-still-a-thing?utm_term=.oeR1D0oyJ#.wr3DlPJyA

Also this old Radio Interview has resurfaced...where Katy "jokes / mocks" Britney's meltdown:

Spoiler

and much much more articles.

Do you think it is deserved or not?

I am feeling kinda uneasy calling jokes about mental illness "shade". Its staight up insult (or 'drag') in very poor taste.

Somewhere Taylor Swift is smiling. 

However, the 35-year-old Grammy winner's fans jumped on the comment made by Katy

#KatyPerryIsOverParty

:ahh::ahh: 

Yes it is.

I stan Katy (and Britney obvs) but this was just mean, she deserves the backlash. Everyone knows Britney is so sweet like why would you even come for her? :biblio:

Yeah Katy that wasn't funny or cute sis :doc:

Literally she is getting dragged everywhere and the fact she said the "joke" like three times :rip:

2 minutes ago, Kiel D-01 said:

:ahh::ahh: 

Yes it is.

Britney has a Grammy for Toxic iirc why u laughing :gaycat2:

In my opoinion she shouldn't have made that joke, or at least not repeat it on every interview she had :deadbanana2:

How disgusting and distasteful! :biblio: 

Nobody cares. They couldn't even trend #KatyPerryIsOverParty.

Kety Petri cancelledT

9c667fcf97044e273d24d3f9752b8cb9.gif

It was indeed very cruel. :!ohno:

I do think she needs to apologize publicly and clear things up, because i know that she didnt mean to say that against Britney. :flower:

Her interviews in the red carpet Grammy's were about her year-long break and how shes trying to improve her mental health, so she makes a joke that she hasn't "lost it and breakdown" yet by "shaving all her hair."

Just now, - JED - said:

Britney has a Grammy why u laughing :gaycat2:

In my opoinion she shouldn't have made that koke, or at least not repeat it on every interview she had :deadbanana2:

I know that, sis. That's why I quoted it. :gaycat2: 

--

She deserves every single backlash in and out of ATRL. So distasteful.

Well deserved :clap3:

She better apologize ASAP. Attempt to be edgy gone wrong :rip:

Deserved. I was rooting for you katy but that wasn't cute. :biblio:

1 minute ago, hardbrit said:

Literally she is getting dragged everywhere and the fact she said the "joke" like three times :rip:

:!ohno:

It was indeed very cruel. :!ohno:

She wasn't even coming for her. I love Britney and think Katy is cool but it was a joke. That's it. 

It's equally as serious as the people on this website who think all who are people are born white are racist and that not all asain people look like orangutans 

she should say sorry! Stans will drag her to filth!

She deserves the backlash tbh, I get it if you didn't mean it and said it in ONE interview...but the fact that she said it in TWO interviews is disgusting

poor thing. I'm sure she didn't mean it that way

The Taylor bit got me. :deadbanana3:

It was mean.

Katy is risking entering into the Jennifer Lawrence territory with this "woke" behaviour and messy jokes.

I just wish Britney, when she will feel stronger about this, to become an advocate for mental illness awareness. As a person struggling with mental illness I feel her witnessing may be important

You need to apologize Miss Perry.

She wasn't even coming for her. I love Britney and think Katy is cool but it was a joke. That's it. 

It's equally as serious as the people on this website who think all who're people are born racist and that not all asain people look like orangutans