ChartMasters CSPC Discussion

Eternium

On 2/16/2017 at 10:42 AM, Lasers said:

Beyonce's sales arent great either. She has huge promo, tons of re-releases and video albums just to sell an album. Her music can never stand on its own.  And thats with Bey making generic and safe music, as compared to Aaliyah who made music that wasn't for the masses and took risks. Her music wasn't as mainstream and safe.

And both of Aaliyah's albums were multi platinum without having to drop out of high school like Bey before death. Find another excuse.

I can't wait for Beyonce to recertify her Entire Catalogue. :celestial6: I'm chill. Not only has she done more solo than with DC, but she has so much that needs to be added. 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eternium

• Anticipating

• Yog

• slw84

1 hour ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

I can't wait for Beyonce to recertify her Entire Catalogue. :celestial6: I'm chill. Not only has she done more solo than with DC, but she has so much that needs to be added. 

Beyonce's one of the few artists with mostly accurate certifications. She didn't stop certifying until very recently whereas most of her peers gave up on certifying over a decade ago. It's a shame because Nielsen never reported ringtone sales numbers so we're missing that data for all but like 30 or so artists :skull: 

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

Beyonce's one of the few artists with mostly accurate certifications. She didn't stop certifying until very recently whereas most of her peers gave up on certifying over a decade ago. It's a shame because Nielsen never reported ringtone sales numbers so we're missing that data for all but like 30 or so artists :skull: 

I don't know....

- Crazy In Love and most of the other DIL singles are certified gold.

- The Writing's On The Wall is probably diamond (*We were at 8.4M in 2001-2002)

- the 4 singles are gold

- BDAY singles are low, I Am Sasha Fierce as well. 

- Halo was last certified in 2010, and it has continued to sell and chart. 

- Listen, Ego, Feelin Myself, ***Flawless, etc are past Gold (still uncertified)

- There are probably another 7-10 songs with sales hovering between 350K and 475K that could easily be certified gold with SPS. 

Just now, trainsskyscrapers said:

I don't know....

- Crazy In Love and most of the other DIL singles are certified gold.

- The Writing's On The Wall is probably diamond (*We were at 8.4M in 2001-2002)

- the 4 singles are gold

- BDAY singles are low, I Am Sasha Fierce as well. 

- Halo was last certified in 2010, and it has continued to sell and chart. 

- Listen, Ego, Feelin Myself, ***Flawless, etc are past Gold (still uncertified)

- There are probably another 7-10 songs with sales hovering between 350K and 475K that could easily be certified gold with SPS. 

She can definitely stand to be recertified but this is nothing. Britney has only certified one single since 2007. Most artists abandoned RIAA once Nielsen became more inclusive of all American sales which is one of the factors in why they changed the formulas - Nielsen has never done combined sales.

23 hours ago, Yog said:

I'm surprised Britney has not outsold George considering she was one of the biggest album sellers of her generation.

I'm not surprised George out sold her in the Europeans considering he was very huge there throughout the 90's and 00's.

Nice Work:clap3:  @Eternium

I stan Britney and George.

Why are you shading Britney so much? Ugh.

George and Britney both are top selling artists.

Let it be

2a8evx4.jpg

20 minutes ago, slw84 said:

I stan Britney and George.

Why are you shading Britney so much? Ugh.

George and Britney both are top selling artists.

Let it be

2a8evx4.jpg

I'm not shading her tho..

• 2 weeks later...

Britney one of the best selling female artists of ALL TIME :clap3: 

FIFTH in fact :clap3: 

Edited by americanshameless

On 6/20/2017 at 1:40 AM, Eternium said:

This is so inaccurate. :skull: So much of Beyoncé's music is undercertified.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:18 PM, Eternium said:

She can definitely stand to be recertified but this is nothing. Britney has only certified one single since 2007. Most artists abandoned RIAA once Nielsen became more inclusive of all American sales which is one of the factors in why they changed the formulas - Nielsen has never done combined sales.

Why does britney's sales number lower every month?

2ic7dbq.jpg

So all the figures for singles are pure and not SPS? I think they should add SPS too, for singles I mean

Damn it, I have fix his singles sales now..

2 minutes ago, Brinny Baby said:

OMG! 100M Club incoming! 

Yay :clap3: George won't be alone and if this is the case than George probably sold more as well. 

13 hours ago, selenachris said:

So all the figures for singles are pure and not SPS? I think they should add SPS too, for singles I mean

Yes. "SPS" for singles is called "combined sales" (coined by the U.K.'s The Official Charts Company). ChartMasters counts streams entirely separately and, while combined sales aren't shown for singles, he does a chart at the end that shows how many album equivalents each song earned (meaning the direct success of each song).

2 hours ago, Yog said:

@Eternium Can you explain to me this, I'm still confused 

http://chartmasters.org/2017/04/cspc-sales-formulas-fixing-log/9/

Basically, Britney has the most detailed album sales ever because her record label posted shipments and certifications she was eligible for (that they never paid for - so it's technically theft LOL). ChartMasters did a spotlight on Britney and her sales trajectory in comparison to the decline of certain markets and now he's using that to help make other acts' numbers more accurate.

1 hour ago, Anticipating said:

Britney's album equivalents have been updated to 99,833,000 :eek: @Eternium

http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-britney-spears-popularity-analysis-new/34/

This is a hell no from me. 10 digital single sales = 1 album sale. 

Yes. "SPS" for singles is called "combined sales" (coined by the U.K.'s The Official Charts Company). ChartMasters counts streams entirely separately and, while combined sales aren't shown for singles, he does a chart at the end that shows how many album equivalents each song earned (meaning the direct success of each song)

But what I don't understand is if that chart at the end is like the single sales with SPS why for example, PITUSA is at 3,3M when it has obviously sold more 

1 hour ago, selenachris said:

But what I don't understand is if that chart at the end is like the single sales with SPS why for example, PITUSA is at 3,3M when it has obviously sold more 

Those are album equivalents.

Party In The USA

Digital Single Sales - 8,000,000

Physical Single Sales - 30,000

Comprehensive Audio Streaming - 415,116,879

YouTube Streaming - 709,542,000

The Time Of Our Lives - 2,450,000 album sales

So based on PITUSA's success and the percentage of streams it had compared to other TOL songs (which determines which song drove album sales), PITUSA as a song moved 3,380,000 album equivalents.

In terms of combined sales (digital single sales + streams), it is around 15.5M.

6 hours ago, Eternium said:

Those are album equivalents.

Party In The USA

Digital Single Sales - 8,000,000

Physical Single Sales - 30,000

Comprehensive Audio Streaming - 415,116,879

YouTube Streaming - 709,542,000

The Time Of Our Lives - 2,450,000 album sales

So based on PITUSA's success and the percentage of streams it had compared to other TOL songs (which determines which song drove album sales), PITUSA as a song moved 3,380,000 album equivalents.

In terms of combined sales (digital single sales + streams), it is around 15.5M.

Ok so basically 3,380,000 is its popularity right? And 15.5M its units sold WW. Thank you! I still think they should do another section just for single sales + streams since I think pretty much every song sells more this way and a lot of countries don't report pure sales anymore 

2 hours ago, selenachris said:

Ok so basically 3,380,000 is its popularity right? And 15.5M its units sold WW. Thank you! I still think they should do another section just for single sales + streams since I think pretty much every song sells more this way and a lot of countries don't report pure sales anymore 

3.38M album equivalents would be the popularity of the song. 15.5M combined sales (1.55M album equivalents) would be the popularity of the digital single (we excluded physical single sales, which would add ~240k). The difference is a song's success includes sales of all attached albums whereas singles are standalone and only do single sales and streams.

And I'm sure if you comment that on a couple of articles then he'd take it in to consideration. He seems pretty open to change!

3.38M album equivalents would be the popularity of the song. 15.5M combined sales (1.55M album equivalents) would be the popularity of the digital single (we excluded physical single sales, which would add ~240k). The difference is a song's success includes sales of all attached albums whereas singles are standalone and only do single sales and streams.

And I'm sure if you comment that on a couple of articles then he'd take it in to consideration. He seems pretty open to change!

I finally got it, thank you so much for taking your time to explain to me, honestly, I'm so annoying haha! ❤

11 minutes ago, selenachris said:

I finally got it, thank you so much for taking your time to explain to me, honestly, I'm so annoying haha! ❤

It's a difficult concept and 99% of ATRL (and the general public) don't understand it! Thanks for asking questions and actually reading what I said :heart2: 

Ok so another question. Chartmasters say Demi, for example, has sold 10M album equivalent units, but her fans and chart accounts say she has sold +50M records. So how? I mean, what is the difference?

Nickelback analysis: http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-nickelback-popularity-analysis/

Lorde analysis: http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-lorde-popularity-analysis/

Also, Pink Floyd's, Coldplay's, Linkin Park's, Gorillaz' and Demi's numbers have changed too.

Britney has already been posted but the in the OP there are old numbers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.