Condolences to our New Zealand & Muslim members affected by the Christchurch mosque shootings Read more... ×

5,807 posts in this topic

Wonderland

I’m amazed that we didn’t have a ban on semi-automatic guns already in place. I’ve always just assumed we did? It terrifies me that ANYONE could have possession of such a weapon legally. How many more could be out there in the hands of people like this?

Reinvention
7 hours ago, Wonderland said:

I feel even worse waking up this morning.

I went to WOMAD last night after impulse buying a ticket yesterday afternoon before I heard about the shooting but it was just so hard to shake the sadness I was feeling. I wondered if I should have gone but I think it stands against everything these terrorists stood for and for that reason I’m happy I went and didn’t let fear stop me from seeing so many diffferent cultures at a time like this.

Jacinda was supposed to be opening WOMAD and having a marvellous time. I went last year and I was drunk, had some green and had a grand old time. Everyone in NZ's lives have been so affected. I think I'll never be able to say "I'm from New Zealand" with as such pride ever again.

WOMAD is a beautiful place to be during these trying times - I'm glad it makes you feel better.

midnightdawn
46 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I’m amazed that we didn’t have a ban on semi-automatic guns already in place. I’ve always just assumed we did? It terrifies me that ANYONE could have possession of such a weapon legally. How many more could be out there in the hands of people like this?

Yeah I heard one tv commentator say our laws are weaker than Australia which surprised me. Apparently the gun lobby is strong here and it's prevented tighter laws in the past. It will be interesting to see how the process for tighter laws unfolds.  

Wonderland
1 minute ago, midnightdawn said:

Yeah I heard one tv commentator say our laws are weaker than Australia which surprised me. Apparently the gun lobby is strong here and it's prevented tighter laws in the past. It will be interesting to see how the process for tighter laws unfolds.  

I'm actually so shocked about it. I always just assumed we tightened ours with Australia but clearly we didn't.

Especially with all the talk in the states about gun control I'm just absolutely amazed that the legality of semi-automatic weapons has not once been floated as a topic in political discourse that I have seen over the years. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

midnightdawn
25 minutes ago, Reinvention said:

Jacinda was supposed to be opening WOMAD and having a marvellous time. I went last year and I was drunk, had some green and had a grand old time. Everyone in NZ's lives have been so affected. I think I'll never be able to say "I'm from New Zealand" with as such pride ever again.

WOMAD is a beautiful place to be during these trying times - I'm glad it makes you feel better.

I saw there were some threats to Jacinda on twitter. After the James Shaw attack and now this it's sad that this is going to change us and we really are joining the rest of the world in no longer being able to have that innocence and feeling sheltered from the type of violence and threats that usually happens in other places. 

Reinvention
Just now, midnightdawn said:

I saw there were some threats to Jacinda on twitter. After the James Shaw attack and now this it's sad that this is going to change us and we really are joining the rest of the world in no longer being able to have that innocence and feeling sheltered from the type of violence and threats that usually happens in other places. 

Indeed - this is a turning point for our nation, and there's no going back. The truth is we LET racism and hate flourish and we accepted hate speech as "free speech". I will never ever allow for any casual racism again in my country.