Kiwi Talk | #TheyAreUs

5,872 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Wonderland said:

So now there’s no parade and I’m FUMING.

They’ve killed pride and in doing so made coming out so much harder for the younger generations who go to that parade and walk away with the courage to be themselves. 

Absolutely shameful. There’s queer blood on these protestors hands and isn’t that ironic considering that’s what they spent the last month trying to fight against. That’s all I’ll say.

Ugh it's so annoying. Ironically they want to be "inclusive" but they are just appealing to a smaller and smaller group of the queer community, rather than being future oriented they are looking back and holding onto the past. 

5 hours ago, midnightdawn said:

Ugh it's so annoying. Ironically they want to be "inclusive" but they are just appealing to a smaller and smaller group of the queer community, rather than being future oriented they are looking back and holding onto the past. 

@Wonderland

I do find it interesting how the NZ media and large corporations literally turned on the queer community for just this single issue - if they supported the queer community past $$$ they would have supported the pride parade regardless. We might have same sex marriage in NZ, but there's still homophobia/biphobia/transphobia behind the surface in NZ, and I think a lot of people's reaction to this stems in institutional homophobia etc.

It's a fairly messy situation, and I'm kind of on the fence - I can understand and empathise with both sides of the argument. The police have had a history of an abusive and volatile relationship with the queer community in NZ and WW, and have only made surface level attempts to address homophobia and transphobia within their own organisation. I can understand the board being sick of the police abusing trans people and queer POC despite repeated calls for the NZ police to change their behaviour, and then reaching this comprise of no uniforms rather than out right banning police. Pride was born out of a divisive political movement.. The first pride parades were held decades before homosexuality was even legalised in NZ... It's had a history of fighting for a more inclusive environment for the queer community, and queer leaders haven't been afraid of using violence before. 

But, this whole thing has been a PR nightmare. The board has done a pretty horrible job at effectively communicating the reason behind their decision to NZ, and I don't think they expected such a negative backlash. Personally, I'd rather have allowed police to march in uniform because I believe in inclusivity, and that the police would slowly learn from engaging with people at the Pride Parade about how to become better allies for the community, and I think a lot of other people also feel the same way, hence the reaction. It sucks that this issue has created such a divide in the community, and could potentially risk having a pride parade - we didn't have one for nearly two decades and a whole generation of queer kids missed out on having a pride parade. As much as I understand the pride board's decision and agree with them in a lot of ways, I'm not really sure their decision was worth not having a pride parade and letting another generation of kiwis miss out on it.

The thing is I empathise with what they were trying to do as well. I really do.

But the way it was conducted was indefensible. They can say they had hui and gave time for it to be digested but no one in the general public knew of this decision (including many queer people) until it happened and there was clearly no litmus testing or dialogue with sponsors to try get their perspective on something they knew was controversial. They effectively gave an opening for the community to be bailed on.

I strongly disagree with people like yourself @Blairbear who are concluding that withdrawing companies don’t care about queer people. The decisions in many of these companies were discussed and advocated for by queer people within the company. 

So turns out there is a parade again. The flip-flopping is a damn mess :rip: 

Anyway, I’m planning to go to the Sydney Mardi Gras this year to get away from all the bull**** our local pride has put us through.

Let’s hope in 2020 they can find a balance because at the moment I cannot and

will not endorse the mess that it is.

2 hours ago, Wonderland said:

The thing is I empathise with what they were trying to do as well. I really do.

But the way it was conducted was indefensible. They can say they had hui and gave time for it to be digested but no one in the general public knew of this decision (including many queer people) until it happened and there was clearly no litmus testing or dialogue with sponsors to try get their perspective on something they knew was controversial. They effectively gave an opening for the community to be bailed on.

I strongly disagree with people like yourself @Blairbear who are concluding that withdrawing companies don’t care about queer people. The decisions in many of these companies were discussed and advocated for by queer people within the company. 

Most people I know actually support the board 100% and they drag me for even criticising how the board has handled this entire situation :rip: I don't think I was as articulate as I'd hoped to be in my previous post, just because my own feelings about Pride Parade 2019 is so complicated, but I definitely disagree with a lot of the board's decisions. In particular, their lack of effective communication with their own community as well as outside groups and the wider community was really detrimental to them in the end, and it somewhat surprised me the board wasn't sacked for that incompetence. 

Oop drag me! :eli: I hadn't had actually considered that, which isn't usually like me, though makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better about the companies pulling out of the parade. Though I will say that if I were still a teenager, and I saw that big name companies were no longer sponsoring the parade it would definitely upset me and make me feel as though everyone was abandoning the queer community. In reality, that's not actually the case though I am still worried about how young queer people will internalise this situation.

I'll still probably go to the parade (or march or whatever it is :rip: ) to see and hang out with my friends tbh.

Ponsonby Central's Santa was dragged on Fox News yesterday. Dad was channel flicking and we stumbled across it :ahh: 

23 hours ago, Blairbear said:

Most people I know actually support the board 100% and they drag me for even criticising how the board has handled this entire situation :rip: I don't think I was as articulate as I'd hoped to be in my previous post, just because my own feelings about Pride Parade 2019 is so complicated, but I definitely disagree with a lot of the board's decisions. In particular, their lack of effective communication with their own community as well as outside groups and the wider community was really detrimental to them in the end, and it somewhat surprised me the board wasn't sacked for that incompetence. 

Oop drag me! :eli: I hadn't had actually considered that, which isn't usually like me, though makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better about the companies pulling out of the parade. Though I will say that if I were still a teenager, and I saw that big name companies were no longer sponsoring the parade it would definitely upset me and make me feel as though everyone was abandoning the queer community. In reality, that's not actually the case though I am still worried about how young queer people will internalise this situation.

I'll still probably go to the parade (or march or whatever it is :rip: ) to see and hang out with my friends tbh.

Yeah it's complicated. I think the board could have been more receptive and less adversarial towards the media and worked out a solution that meant the parade went ahead. The sponsors are always going to be concerned about their reputation and are not activists so while I think they do have good intentions they were ultimately worried about being on the wrong side of public opinion. In the end no one wins.  

7 hours ago, Wonderland said:

Ponsonby Central's Santa was dragged on Fox News yesterday. Dad was channel flicking and we stumbled across it :ahh: 

Ugh I wish I saw it. Fox News always get triggered by Christmas :dies:

3 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

Ugh I wish I saw it. Fox News always get triggered by Christmas :dies:

I found it on Youtube for you! I'm shocked the herald or stuff haven't reported on it you'd think they might have but clearly no one in NZ saw it apart from dad and I :lmao: 

5 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I found it on Youtube for you! I'm shocked the herald or stuff haven't reported on it you'd think they might have but clearly no one in NZ saw it apart from dad and I :lmao: 

OMG "The Christmas Police" and the little siren intro... I'm :rip:

I can imagine Simon going on Fox News though and doing his fake outrage over it. 

1 hour ago, midnightdawn said:

Andrew serving ATRLer

Can't wait to cast my vote for Simon Bridges in 2020 :clap3: 

15 hours ago, Icarus said:

Can't wait to cast my vote for Simon Bridges in 2020 :clap3: 

I’m tempted to vote for him too. This coalition of chaos is getting a bit tired tbh

I guess Cindy is WINNING with these latest polls. Slay.

49 dead (at this current time). I am at a loss for words. My heart breaks for New Zealand!

My Kiwis :frown: Stay strong.

all the amazingness of the climate rallies i saw today just lost under the weight of this unspeakable tragedy

3 minutes ago, volition said:

all the amazingness of the climate rallies i saw today just lost under the weight of this unspeakable tragedy

I know - there's just so many awful things connected to this tragedy. Not only have 49 people been brutally slain, but also the climate change protests have been utterly dwarfed and Wellington's Pride Parade has been cancelled tomorrow because of police safety recommendations.

I have no words honestly... This hurts so much.

...I saw the video and im disgusted. 

I cannot watch that video and I refuse to.

So surreal and hard to comprehend. 

1 hour ago, Wonderland said:

I cannot watch that video and I refuse to.

I saw the very beginning of one when it autoplayed and stopped before the killing started. I don't want to watch a snuff movie.

Thanks for changing the thread title to #TheyAreUs

I hope everyone reported that Senator Fraser Anning twitter account.

I feel even worse waking up this morning.

I went to WOMAD last night after impulse buying a ticket yesterday afternoon before I heard about the shooting but it was just so hard to shake the sadness I was feeling. I wondered if I should have gone but I think it stands against everything these terrorists stood for and for that reason I’m happy I went and didn’t let fear stop me from seeing so many diffferent cultures at a time like this.