Kiwi Talk | #TheyAreUs

5,852 posts in this topic

Image result for new zealand

2000px-NZ_Regional_Councils_and_Territorial_Authorities_2017.svg.png

A Thread for all things New Zealand! Come on in and STAN for the best and most iconic country on the planet.

I'd like to move to NZ but idk if I'm here for the earthquakes

2 minutes ago, Yndda said:

Dw they've all stopped now :eddie: come on over sis

2 minutes ago, Yndda said:

I'm not walking around anymore so we should be okay :eli:

57 minutes ago, BadMonster said:

This country is on my bucket list tbh, it's so diverse

It's a mess tbh

Well I'm not voting National this election after Bill's mess around the Muslim ban. BYE :cm:

1 hour ago, Wonderland said:

Well I'm not voting National this election after Bill's mess around the Muslim ban. BYE :cm:

Thanks sis for resurrecting / making a new thread for Kiwi's again :)

I am not surprised that Bill doesn't think the Muslim ban is racist.. I was thinking about voting National as a way to keep Winston Peters out of power. Winston is entertaining and great as an opposition leader, but considering what's happened over the last few years, I'm worried he'll be the 'Donald Trump' of our election this year. His record of being a cabinet minister is horrible and I'm surprised he's even in parliament still, so I don't doubt if he becomes a cabinet minister, he'll **** it up again.. That said, I really want Labour/Greens to win :'( 

National won't get 50% alone this time round so they'll have to have Winston to win.

Labour/Greens will probably need him too but I'm prepared to vote for them in the hope they won't. I'm hoping the Maori seats go back to the Maori party and they give them enough at this point.

It'll actually depend on where the ~4% conservative vote goes this cycle. It was a wasted vote last election but if NZ First absorbs it then he will decide the next government.

Labour need to lose their grip on the Maori seats. It'd actually help them this election even though Maori leadership seem to despise them right now. It also helps Maori and Mana are back together as one party.

Woo boy, I can't wait for the election. Labour need to get that party vote into the mid 30s though :rip:

Do you think the Greens will 'replace' Labour? I've heard a lot of people say that over the last decade, but I don't think the Greens have ever polled over 15% so it seems unlikely?

I predict that Winston will probably decide who our government is..... Again..

Yeah I think a Winston kingmaker situation is most likely this election. Still hoping it'll be avoided though. The Maori seats going back to the Maori party (and that being enough to get one side over the line) is the only escape.

And I'm not sure about the answer to that. Labour does seem to be an older left kind of party while the greens are picking up the young left. In saying that, the greens currently have a ceiling of popularity at around 12% and they're struggling to break past that. If it does happen, I can't see it happening for at least another 10 election cycles.

Also I think that if a party came along that focused on the environment and wasn't so left wing they could lose a chunk of their base.

Labour has been such a mess for so long, I can't even with them. Andrew Little pathetically seeing Nikki Kaye talk about her cancer battle and how it's warming people to her, so he tragically starts talking out of the blue about his own struggle from like 15 years ago or whatever. I mean sure he shared the struggle - but he's never mentioned it before. It was just a blatant publicity stunt to get sympathy.

I like everyone Labour stands for, but the thought of them squabbling and bitching while attempting to lead the country is tragic. King James Shaw from Greens needs to come THROUGH like nobody's business.

I'm pissed at Bill English for this pathetic muddling about. That being said, if he was like "Trump's policies are disgusting!" and then Trump was like "Well fine, that's that then. All trade and travel between NZ/USA cancelled!" we'd be kinda ****ed in a way we can't even imagine. So even though Trump is abominable, he can get between us and USA and that could be absolutely catastrophic. 

- - - - - - -

Anyway yes, earthquakes have simmered down, but my job at Wellington council is now like 99% earthquake focused, plus the wall next to my bed in my new flat has a great big crack from the earthquake, which is fun. :katie: (I've been assured it's only cosmetic, not structural)

1 hour ago, Reinvention said:

Labour has been such a mess for so long, I can't even with them. Andrew Little pathetically seeing Nikki Kaye talk about her cancer battle and how it's warming people to her, so he tragically starts talking out of the blue about his own struggle from like 15 years ago or whatever. I mean sure he shared the struggle - but he's never mentioned it before. It was just a blatant publicity stunt to get sympathy.

I like everyone Labour stands for, but the thought of them squabbling and bitching while attempting to lead the country is tragic. King James Shaw from Greens needs to come THROUGH like nobody's business.

I'm pissed at Bill English for this pathetic muddling about. That being said, if he was like "Trump's policies are disgusting!" and then Trump was like "Well fine, that's that then. All trade and travel between NZ/USA cancelled!" we'd be kinda ****ed in a way we can't even imagine. So even though Trump is abominable, he can get between us and USA and that could be absolutely catastrophic. 

Andrew is a mess :rip: But in my eyes Bill is the bigger mess and I want him gone. Ideally I'd have neither of them, though. I'm so glad Nikki is getting some much deserved praise and attention now too. She has been such a light for National and is the future of that party in the next decade or so God permitting. I bet it'll end up being Nikki vs. Jacinda for PM as they always seem to end up facing each other.

I don't think Labour squabbles and bitches more than National at this point. That past image is gone although it seems to stick to them.

Meh. Germany and Canada have dragged him and the latter still managed to get their dual-citizens access to the US... we've barely said a word and are still waiting to know :rip:

2 hours ago, Icarus said:

I'm not sure if I'm still properly registered to vote and I can't be bothered :cm: 

If you're going to vote National, don't bother to check :cm:

4 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

If you're going to vote National, don't bother to check :cm:

Andrew Little as Prime Minister might annoy me a biT though :cm: 

6 hours ago, Icarus said:

Andrew Little as Prime Minister might annoy me a biT though :cm: 

And Bill doesn't? :cm:

Riverdale was also pretty good. Go KJ

Election Day is September 23rd.

Get hyped gurls, it's coming.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:31 PM, Icarus said:

I'm not sure if I'm still properly registered to vote and I can't be bothered :cm: 

Guuurl you should check if to see if you are registered to vote! Even if you don't vote.. once you've registered you don't have to again so it'll save hassle in the future :) 

National is at 46 per cent in the first 1 NEWS Colmar Brunton poll for the 2017 election year, down four points from the November poll.

Labour has climbed two points to 30, while the Greens are steady on 11 per cent, taking the centre left block's combined vote to 41 percent.

That narrows the gap between National and the centre left pairing to just five percent. Back in November National was 11 per cent ahead of the Labour-Greens combo.

New Zealand First is up one per cent to 11, and, based on our polling, would hold the balance of power post-election.

One of these damn blocs needs to get over 50% ASAP I can't have this on election day :jonny: