Love, Simon - Out now on DVD/digital

2,947 posts in this topic

I read the book and it was cute. Movie looks a bit John Green’d but i’m intrigued.

Not the main character being a white! How dare they

Looks kinda tragic

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Rama said:

Gurl if you were trying to prove that person wrong this is the WORST example :rip: Yes Moonlight exists and yes it won the Oscar but they had to give it to the white movie first and take away their whole moment and make it about the controversy of the blunder. Hollywood IS racist.

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

Why is this suddenly a mess? :huh: 

It's called being ironic. We all know and already expect most media to cater to a white image.

48 minutes ago, InsureTer said:

[email protected] the white people being mad all the gurls on color sick of their ****. 

giphy.gif

:skull: 

1 minute ago, cheap said:

It's called being ironic. We all know and already expect most media to cater to a white image.

That's not irony. :rip: The main character is white. So? It's a single film. If we have multiple gay teen movies in the future and none of them feature non-white characters as protagonists, then we can talk. But, for the first film of its kind, the sample size is too small to make any rash declarations of misrepresentation. Chill the **** out. Damn.

7 minutes ago, YUNGKALIMXEL said:

Gurl if you were trying to prove that person wrong this is the WORST example :rip: Yes Moonlight exists and yes it won the Oscar but they had to give it to the white movie first and take away their whole moment and make it about the controversy of the blunder. Hollywood IS racist.

Wow. I knew a bit about the controversy but I never knew it happened like this. Us POCs are always second best :emofish:. And now it looks like they just chucked us a bone so we won't complain. Sad.

1 minute ago, Bloo said:

That's not irony. :rip: The main character is white. So? It's a single film. If we have multiple gay teen movies in the future and none of them feature non-white characters as protagonists, then we can talk. But, for the first film of its kind, the sample size is too small to make any rash declarations of misrepresentation. Chill the **** out. Damn.

Not trying to support/defend either argument but GBF was kind of the first big gay teen movie, and that had a white protagonist as well :cm:

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

You are the one who needs to chill. If non-white people didn't acknowledge the problem and complained about it the media would be 100% white. :celestial6:

Just now, cheap said:

You are the one who needs to chill. If non-white people didn't acknowledge and complained the media would be 100% white. :celestial6:

So, after the first film was released, people were pissed and frustrated the protagonist was white? Doubt that. For all we know the director and casting manager had open auditions for the role (feel free to fact check me if that information is publicly available) and they just went with who they felt nailed the audition the best and that happened to be a white dude. Again, a single film is not enough to justify screaming misrepresentation when there are many other black characters in the trailer alone. 

2 minutes ago, Body Electrician said:

Not trying to support/defend either argument but GBF was kind of the first big gay teen movie, and that had a white protagonist as well :cm:

Not a major motion film. It was straight to DVD. :cm:

55 minutes ago, DONTYELLATME said:

For white gays , intersectionality exists 

Us gays of color always come second :doc:

isn't moonlight about a gay black caracter? :skull:

Sle king robinson :gaycat4:

7 minutes ago, Dark XXX said:

Wow. I knew a bit about the controversy but I never knew it happened like this. Us POCs are always second best :emofish:. And now it looks like they just chucked us a bone so we won't complain. Sad.

Jay-Z made a song and video about it called "Moonlight". The video shows black actors playing all the Friends characters and it represents how this show that Queen Latifah was in (I'm sorry I forgot the name :skull:) basically created the original concept of friends; sit-com about young adults living together, except it was an all black cast). Apparently it was really popular but then Friends came along and it got cancelled :(

1 hour ago, KingKhalid said:

Can’t relate for some reason, I feel like it doesn’t represent my experience as a black male 

moonlight is here for you.

I dont feel completely comfortable with a straight actor playing a role that could go to a gay actor but it still looks ok

Is that Hannah Baker lol

3 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

I dont feel completely comfortable with a straight actor playing a role that could go to a gay actor but it still looks ok

:skull:

It's called "acting" for a reason

3 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

How do you feel about all of the gay actors playing straight roles on basically almost every movie/tv show? Should gays only play gays then? Is it not called a-c-t-i-n-g?

Keiynan Lonsdale is about to do what he's about to do. :jonny2:

1 hour ago, KingKhalid said:

Can’t relate for some reason, I feel like it doesn’t represent my experience as a black male 

I feel ya, but it’s progress, I suppose.

1 hour ago, DONTYELLATME said:

No the movie looks cute 

but don’t dismiss the claims of people who don’t feel represented. It matters 

THIS :clap3:

16 minutes ago, Dark XXX said:

:rip:

it was the company that does the envelops that give the wrong envelope to the lady.

Just now, Body Electrician said:

It's called "acting" for a reason

Just now, TheLastChord said:

How do you feel about all of the gay actors playing straight roles on basically almost every movie/tv show? Should gays only play gays then? Is it not called a-c-t-i-n-g?

Im just saying it could be a great opportunity for a young gay actor to get some exposure but im not like against all straight actors playing gay roles!