Man fired for bringing watermelon to work as a gift

167 posts in this topic

[..] Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon. We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended, since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black. "When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," says Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

FOX 2: "Is it racially insensitive to bring a watermelon into a fire house?"

"To some people," McCarty says.

FOX 2 spoke to Pattison by phone, who claims it was not a joke - and he did not mean to offend his fellow firefighters. But he clearly did. Fire Commissioner Eric Jones says the Fenton native was officially discharged.

In a statement Jones says: "There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department. "After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee." In a world where racial tensions run high, some tell me the trial firefighter should have known better. Trout doesn't know if he meant anything by it - but feels it was a bad choice.

More http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-firefighter-fired-for-bringing-watermelon-to-station

:deadbanana3: Stupid move.

I don't even understand the watermelon stereotype :deadbanana:

I love watermelon. :heart2:

The full story according to the mayors office is that he had made a string on racially charged statements that had most of his peers saying he might be racist. This "gift" was the straw that broke the camels backs. Of course he's playing dumb and acting like he didn't know any better once he lost his job, but these are firefighters they're not the tumblr SJW we see online. They don't react like this without good cause. 

He's playing dumb. Good riddance, racist trash.

Let me research this watermelon a stereotype because I’ve always heard it but never knew the context. 

3 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

The full story according to the mayors office is that he had made a string on racially charged statements that had most of his peers saying he might be racist. This "gift" was the straw that broke the camels backs. Of course he's playing dumb and acting like he didn't know any better once he lost his job, but these are firefighters they're not the tumblr SJW we see online. They don't react like this without good cause. 

I was gonna say, I feel like there’s more to this story than people just randomly getting offended by nothing. 

He was clearly acting dumb and doing it on purpose, so good riddance.

Wait... sorry, what’s racist about watermelon? That’s a genuine question. What’s the backstory... can anyone educate me? 

There definitely is more to the story I am sure there has already been problems with this guy for this to be the last straw. 

I give people the benefit of the doubt, so I’ll say maybe he really was unaware of his actions and what they could possibly provoke. :dancehall:

But if he did do it purposely and is just playing dumb, then he deserved what he got.

Call me racist, but why is it racist to say that black people like watermelon? :skull: Us white people can't dance and we admit it-doesn't mean that there aren't whites who can actually dance. And it's not like black people get bullied for supposedly liking watermelon :rip:

EDIT: had never heard about it and I'm reading about it right now, I had no idea it had to do with slavery :skull:

Ok I googled, and this seems to be an American thing! Yall arr ****ing racist in the States! Like to the extreme... everywhere has subconscious racism but ****ing hell... the states is the pits!!! This even reads racially motivated after I googled what it meant! Bye sir, your service will not be missed !!

Just now, SoulKiwi said:

I give people the benefit of the doubt, so I’ll say maybe he really was unaware of his actions and what they could possibly provoke. :dancehall:

But if he did do it purposely and is just playing dumb, then he deserved what he got.

Come on now, the majority of the department is black and he had a history of making racially charged comments. No full grown adult does this without racial intent calling it a "gift"

9 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

Yeah why am i not surprised by this, nobody just goes oh you're racist because you brought fruit to work 

10 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

:cm:

1 minute ago, I Am Music said:

Come on now, the majority of the department is black and he had a history of making racially charged comments. No full grown adult does this without racial intent calling it a "gift"

Oh wait, he had a history? :deadbanana:

Then yeah, I agree he did it with nefarious intentions. Trash got what trash deserved.

2 minutes ago, Burqa said:

Call me racist, but why is it racist to say that black people like watermelon? :skull: Us white people can't dance and we admit it-doesn't mean that there aren't whites who can actually dance. And it's not like black people get bullied for supposedly liking watermelon :rip:

Watermelon stereotype comes from historical racist propanda imagery that sought to paint black people as uncivilised by having them eat some of the messiest meals that don't require knives and forks. 

People pretending they can't take 15 seconds to google... 

Anyway, good he got fired. 

As if they needed a history of his racist comments though! Who in their right mind brings a watermelon wrapped up as a gift? There is obvious malicious intent :cm: 

It doesn't matter if he had a past or not. Watermelon isn't some traditional and conventional gift, and the fact he put a ribbon on it shows it was premeditated. 

Like :skull: he knew full well what he was doing. 

Let me shed a tear for this man:

:ahh: