"Drama at American Idol over Perry's $25 million salary"

184 posts in this topic

katy-perry.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=66

Katy Perry’s big $25 million payday at “American Idol” has created huge drama at ABC and at the relaunched singing competition.

The “Fireworks” singer’s deal left “pennies” for fellow judges Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan. We’re told that Ryan Seacrest’s hefty salary of about $15 million also cut deeply into the budget.

“ABC was originally going to spend no more than $50 million on talent. They had to expand their budget for Lionel,” one TV insider told us.

“Ben Sherwood blew the budget on Katy without thinking how that would impact other areas of the show budget. He gambled on her because of her appeal to a younger audience and huge social-media following. But Katy is effectively taking money from the other judges, who then had to be paid way less,” the source said.

Then the fireworks ignited with Bryan and Richie. “The negotiations with Luke and Lionel have been fraught and difficult because of [Katy’s paycheck]. They expected similar deals to Katy, but are, in fact, getting a hell of a lot less.

"Idol” initially offered Richie and Bryan a measly $2.5 million each to take the gig, but the offended singers demanded more, and refused to sign their deals, which postponed ABC’s big talent announcement.  They’re both making about $7 million each now. This has become a very expensive show. If ‘Idol’ doesn’t work, it will blow up big time in Sherwood’s face. If it does work, he’s a genius,” the network source said.

Source:http://pagesix.com/2017/10/05/huge-drama-at-american-idol-over-katy-perrys-25m-deal/

$7 million for Luke. :deadbanana: Damn, he doesn't play.

Katy get those coins:clap3: That's a ton of money. Has anyone ever got paid that much for a show?

Paying someone $25M to be on a show (That might not even do well) is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

queen of getting money either way

aep7Jlv.gif

Hope the budget is worth :fan:

Sounds like Sherwood is screwed and rightfully so for thrusting upon us a show that nobody asked for! 

That Ben guy is so losing his job lol.

This will be a mess

mess tbh

Buckle up I have a feeling this will be interesting

It's crazy how much money is put into making these TV shows. I'm DYING to watch, I just hope America is too :dies: 

25m for Katy alone was a terrible mistake :skull:  she lucked out 

16 minutes ago, AALIYAH DANA said:

"He gambled on her because of her appeal to a younger audience and huge social-media following."

exactly what i said in the last post. they're not paying for her necessarily, they paying for her followers and fame. every time she posts about AI on her Instagram Story or Twitter, it's reaching a lot of people. Every time the press talks about her, they will mention AI. Everytime Katy gives an interview -- be it to RollingStone or Billboard or Ellen or a fashion magazine, she will be asked about AI. It's great exposure.

No shade but $2.5M is more than what like, half of the people on this planet will make in their life time. I get that it's unfair that Katy is getting 10x that amount but LORD the way they downplay that amount and get angry over it :deadbanana:

all that money for yet another reality show nobody asked for that will never produce a real star, just like The Voice and X Factor USA. 

tsyvXAY.gif

But there is no drama. They have great chemistry. And if the guys weren't happy with their $7m, they wouldn't have signed on.

Can they sue her if it flops? :skull:

How much money does Katy owe her label after Witness? She's lucky she secured $25M for this.

4 minutes ago, iHype. said:

Can they sue her if it flops? :skull:

Probs not but they can certainly sue Ben Sherwood.

That's all the other two are worth imo prob less. Cancel the show 👀

Poor Ben, he's already looking rough

Ben+Sherwood+Business+Leaders+Converge+S

Imagine when this shows inevitably flops

The issue isnt the 25M, the issue is that Katy may not be able to bring in 25M in revenue. If Rihanna was a judge then maybe they wouldnt be worried about their return on investments. I would say Beyonce too, but I feel like the views will be frontloaded and people will tune out because Beyonce will be "boring" (meaning she won't bring any drama). Solange and Cher I feel like would have been better since they are more outspoken.

10 minutes ago, Save-Me-Oprah said:

all that money for yet another reality show nobody asked for that will never produce a real star, just like The Voice and X Factor USA. 

tsyvXAY.gif

Kelly Clarkson, Adam Lambert....even Carrie Underwood