Annihilation (2018) • Now On Netflix Int'l // 79 Metacritic

362 posts in this topic

Dark Miracles
11 hours ago, Adele Addict said:

I'm really excited for this film. :duca: I'm a film critic, so I was invited to one of the advanced screenings for it and get to see it two days before it comes out, and this is probably the film I'm the most excited to be attending an advanced screening for. Everything about it looks incredible. I hope this doesn't flop. :weeps: 

Let us know what you think!

Superbitch
14 hours ago, SaintWest said:

Read the script for this. So good!

Nice where’d you read it from 

Dark Miracles

Natalie conveys control and brokenness at the same time

JJL is an original, got the tone of the movie and manifested it in her performance

Gina is one of the best adlibbers he's ever worked with

Tuva is a hyper-truthful actor

Tessa is ferociously bright and thoughtful

Oscar is a sensational actor, Star Wars was shooting at the exact same time

We love a cast brimming with talent!

Adele Addict
6 hours ago, Dark Miracles said:

Let us know what you think!

I will! :duca: I'm a sucker for sci-fi, and I love Natalie Portman and Oscar Isaac, so I have very high expectations for this film!

zombaland

Some of my thoughts:

So many emotions. 

I would definitely recommend to view the movie.

It was a handful - some severely nauseating action scenes, changes through various timelines, and layers that take quite a lot to grasp. Something I felt when I watched Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fortunately, Alex himself credited 2001 after the movie ended. The director is hilarious, his Q&A was so blunt and I luckily got to ask him a question - and he loved my observation (there were two scenes in the movie, near identical but in two different dimensions, so hard to connect them. He confirmed that it was the same house).

Some cons: The score could have been better. Some of the dialogues were severely under-cooked. Character development - aside from Natalie Portman's (even hers felt rushed) was almost non-existent.

Also haven't had a movie in a long while where I didn't want it to end, at all. Just kept hoping for it to keep bringing more of it.

Overall, a fantastic movie. Would definitely watch it again.

My verdict: 8/10.

Superbitch
44 minutes ago, zombaland said:

Some of my thoughts:

So many emotions. 

I would definitely recommend to view the movie.

It was a handful - some severely nauseating action scenes, changes through various timelines, and layers that take quite a lot to grasp. Something I felt when I watched Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Fortunately, Alex himself credited 2001 after the movie ended. The director is hilarious, his Q&A was so blunt and I luckily got to ask him a question - and he loved my observation (there were two scenes in the movie, near identical but in two different dimensions, so hard to connect them. He confirmed that it was the same house).

Some cons: The score could have been better. Some of the dialogues were severely under-cooked. Character development - aside from Natalie Portman's (even hers felt rushed) was almost non-existent.

Also haven't had a movie in a long while where I didn't want it to end, at all. Just kept hoping for it to keep bringing more of it.

Overall, a fantastic movie. Would definitely watch it again.

My verdict: 8/10.

Slay sis. I’m so jealous been waiting for it for over a year when I bought the books. Have you read them? Also in your opinion and we already know the basic movie goers will be 50/50 since it’s not an “easy watch” cuz it makes you think. Do you agree with this? I’ve fead opinions of people who claim

theres too much dialogue in the movie. 

Also critics predictions? Acclaimed? Mixed? I’m sure it won’t be planned tho. 

zombaland
2 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

Slay sis. I’m so jealous been waiting for it for over a year when I bought the books. Have you read them? Also in your opinion and we already know the basic movie goers will be 50/50 since it’s not an “easy watch” cuz it makes you think. Do you agree with this? I’ve fead opinions of people who claim

theres too much dialogue in the movie. 

Also critics predictions? Acclaimed? Mixed? I’m sure it won’t be planned tho. 

omg sis, there were moments were you knew they were a bit extra and the narrative changes came off grating. But while there were moments which were like wtfffff/hard to follow, i found it overall a compelling watch. I love these kinda though provoking movies - even if sometimes they are hard to grasp (intersteller?). 

I hope it gets acclaim or at the least 80-85%. I could see critics having strong reactions - not something you can be "meh" about. 

So far the buzz seems pretty solid - hailing it as a masterpiece. The last 30/40 mins alone was such an adrenaline rush, phew. SIS!!

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-first-reviews-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1201926330/

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11992815

Haven't read the books. Do you recommend I buy them?

Some more insights during the Q&A:

1. His screenplay is based on what the book made him feel vs. the intricacies the book offers (environmental awareness, etc.)

2. There was a major scene where Natalie Portman's character tries to escape the facility, but they rather chose to cut it off entirely.

3. There is a crocodile scene which was a hot mess because they werent sure how to pursue it. 

Superbitch
On 2/13/2018 at 5:02 PM, zombaland said:

omg sis, there were moments were you knew they were a bit extra and the narrative changes came off grating. But while there were moments which were like wtfffff/hard to follow, i found it overall a compelling watch. I love these kinda though provoking movies - even if sometimes they are hard to grasp (intersteller?). 

I hope it gets acclaim or at the least 80-85%. I could see critics having strong reactions - not something you can be "meh" about. 

So far the buzz seems pretty solid - hailing it as a masterpiece. The last 30/40 mins alone was such an adrenaline rush, phew. SIS!!

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-first-reviews-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1201926330/

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11992815

Haven't read the books. Do you recommend I buy them?

Some more insights during the Q&A:

1. His screenplay is based on what the book made him feel vs. the intricacies the book offers (environmental awareness, etc.)

2. There was a major scene where Natalie Portman's character tries to escape the facility, but they rather chose to cut it off entirely.

3. There is a crocodile scene which was a hot mess because they werent sure how to pursue it. 

Yassss!!! :jonny4: the crocodile in the trailer ? Lol. 

I wish I could’ve been there. I’m so nervous guys I want this to at least get good reviews. Can’t a critical and commercial flop I want to at least not be one of those.

MeAndMyHand

I'm reading the book today, just in time before the movie release. I am already done with half of it. Can't stop reading it! 

Too bad it isn't released in the cinema here.

LGVHD

This STILL not having any reviews makes me worried that it's gonna be panned heavily :jonny5:

stophittingmedad

do u think this movie might be too much if i go see it baked as a pie? 

Superbitch
5 hours ago, LGVHD said:

This STILL not having any reviews makes me worried that it's gonna be panned heavily :jonny5:

Embargo lifts in the am. I’m more scared of the Audience 

intheneonlights
5 hours ago, LGVHD said:

Early buzz has been incredibly positive. There's no way this is getting panned.

Superbitch
10 minutes ago, intheneonlights said:

Early buzz has been incredibly positive. There's no way this is getting panned.

Yes just praise look at this one from today

:jonny4: 

levi_valvi

Is this getting a wide release?

Everytime I read a reaction I get so excited, the wait is killing me