Atheists & Agnostics Hangout Thread

6,512 posts in this topic

lonnie

I can't believe there was a point in time I wasn't pro-choice. Thank Science I saw the light.

LoKoPaNdA
On 08/03/2018 at 7:33 PM, Communion said:

@LoKoPaNdA

This is a kinda good start for more basic 101 type of info on different leftist and marxist beliefs. 

And the guy is kinda cute. :gaycat5:

Oop let me bookmark :gaycat3: On my way to becoming a comrade

Ecstasy

Hate the word Queer. It's literally what homophobes call gays. Whose bright idea was that to try and use it for the LGBT, I want to kick them in the nuts

ProudLBS
24 minutes ago, Ecstasy said:

Hate the word Queer. It's literally what homophobes call gays. Whose bright idea was that to try and use it for the LGBT, I want to kick them in the nuts

I know, right? :skull:

Lucas32
3 hours ago, Ecstasy said:

Isn‘t this a case of people trying to reclaim a slur? I get why people wanna do it but I wish we could just let all slurs die out instead of people reclaiming them but I guess it‘s not my place to judge.

Ecstasy
12 minutes ago, Lucas32 said:

Isn‘t this a case of people trying to reclaim a slur? I get why people wanna do it but I wish we could just let all slurs die out instead of people reclaiming them but I guess it‘s not my place to judge.

It is and it's not working. Well as far as I can tell it's more popular in the states. I hate that word, it has nothing but negative associations for me and I find these attempts to reclaim it ridiculous.

Lucas32
26 minutes ago, Ecstasy said:

It is and it's not working. Well as far as I can tell it's more popular in the states. I hate that word, it has nothing but negative associations for me and I find these attempts to reclaim it ridiculous.

There‘s no German equivalent of word so the only time I ever heard it is in American movies where some stereotypical Southern homophobe goes on a rant about “the queers“ so I definitely get the negative connotations you‘re talking about.

Reclaiming slurs is a really tough topic in general and I don‘t really know how I feel about it. I have minority friends who I know would be fine with me using slurs in a non-negative manner but I still never do because it just feels uncomfortable and unessecary to me and I feel like it still validates actual bigotry on some level even if it‘s unintentional.

LoKoPaNdA

I do not mind the word queer, but English isn't my first language and I've never really interacted with it as a slur. 

GSM is probably the most all-encompassing term for the community. LGBTQ+ is bound to miss some folks.

AvrilLaQueen
5 hours ago, Ecstasy said:

word queer sounds so ugly. I so much prefer using the f and d words :gaycat4:

AvrilLaQueen
5 minutes ago, Mean Trees said:

Why has this turned into the Communist Hangout thread? 

only 1 member stans communism, and another one wants to learn about it. the rest of us hate it

AvrilLaQueen

Communion
2 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

Communism is about creating classless societies.

Institutional religions create classes. 

Atheism and communism's ties go far back.

I mean, how can you move people away from religion when economic suffering is often one of the causes for religiosity?

d9HBSAU.gif

ProudLBS
2 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

I'd rather die than be a communist

giphy.gif

LoKoPaNdA

So...I've finally come around Latinx/Filipinx/Italianx/Brasileirx (sort of) for nonbinary people from those cultures but what exactly is the purpose of "womxn"? :rip: Back in the day some people used womyn because the suffix 'ma'n was seen as problematic and sexist but when you use 'myn' and 'mxn' what even is the difference? Wouldn't you have to use a new word altogether to separate 'womxn' from 'man'? :rip: And how do you even pronounce 'womxn'?

LoKoPaNdA

Also, Brittany Pettibone was arrested in the UK :ahh: Neo-Nazis stay losing!

FBF
36 minutes ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

So...I've finally come around Latinx/Filipinx/Italianx/Brasileirx (sort of) for nonbinary people from those cultures but what exactly is the purpose of "womxn"? :rip: Back in the day some people used womyn because the suffix 'ma'n was seen as problematic and sexist but when you use 'myn' and 'mxn' what even is the difference? Wouldn't you have to use a new word altogether to separate 'womxn' from 'man'? :rip: And how do you even pronounce 'womxn'?

I got so tired just learning about this :rip: This is so Tumblr'ed :ahh: 

AvrilLaQueen
23 minutes ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

Also, Brittany Pettibone was arrested in the UK :ahh: Neo-Nazis stay losing!

omg, give me more tea! any videos of her arrest? hopefully Tara McCarthy is next

avrilgrammyvzjej.gif

Communion

I think people do just too much in general in reaction to language creation.

"Kek" similarly means nothing to people who don't play video games, but there's no reaction on how the usage of language that means nothing to the vast majority by video gamers is some evil scheme of social engineering and forced diversity. There's no think-pieces on how video gamers are trying to unravel the fabric of Western society all while Camille Paglia won't shut up about how she thinks trans people caused Rome to fall.

If language just isn't effective enough to catch on... it just won't catch on, thus the overreactions (usually fueled by transphobia) are largely unwarranted. But I think it upsets people because they know some language can catch on. "Ms." is no different than singular they. Language does change and grow.

LoKoPaNdA
2 minutes ago, Communion said:

I think people do just too much in general in reaction to language creation.

"Kek" similarly means nothing to people who don't play video games, but there's no reaction on how the usage of language that means nothing to the vast majority by video gamers is some evil scheme of social engineering and forced diversity. There's no think-pieces on how video gamers are trying to unravel the fabric of Western society all while Camille Paglia won't shut up about how she thinks trans people caused Rome to fall.

If language just isn't effective enough to catch on... it just won't catch on, thus the overreactions (usually fueled by transphobia) are largely unwarranted. But I think it upsets people because they know some language can catch on. "Ms." is no different than singular they. Language does change and grow.

I don't think gamers want to impose Kek on anybody outside the gaming world just like internet gays aren't forcing gay lingo outside the internet.

What exactly is the purpose of 'womxn' though? :rip: 

LoKoPaNdA
36 minutes ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

omg, give me more tea! any videos of her arrest? hopefully Tara McCarthy is next

avrilgrammyvzjej.gif

poor thaT :soda:

they're trying to make her into this free speech martyr when she was there to meet with a neo-Nazi like...

Communion
5 minutes ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

I don't think gamers want to impose Kek on anybody outside the gaming world just like internet gays aren't forcing gay lingo outside the internet.

What exactly is the purpose of 'womxn' though? :rip: 

I don't think it's imposing anything to be called something.

Do we have this same hostility to people who prefer nicknames to their birth names? 

LoKoPaNdA
1 minute ago, Communion said:

Do we have this same hostility to people who prefer nicknames to their birth names? 

Ehhh things aren't going so well with term Latinx outside some branches of academia in the Spanish-speaking world, actually. Lots of people say it feels as if it is being imposed. But anyway, completely different thing--

I will call anyone anything they want, but what purpose exactly does the word 'womxn' serve? :rip: In what way is it better than woman...?

LoKoPaNdA
A spelling of "women" that is a more inclusive, progressive term that not only sheds light on the prejudice, discrimination, and institutional barriers womxn have faced, but to also show that womxn are not the extension of men (as hinted by the classic Bible story of Adam and Eve) but their own free and separate entities. More intersectional than womyn because it includes trans-women and women of color.

Oh, I found this :rip: Quite absurd, really (the ending is still there, just with an x), but whatever people are into these days.

Communion
2 hours ago, LoKoPaNdA said:

Ehhh things aren't going so well with term Latinx outside some branches of academia in the Spanish-speaking world, actually. Lots of people say it feels as if it is being imposed. But anyway, completely different thing--

I will call anyone anything they want, but what purpose exactly does the word 'womxn' serve? :rip: In what way is it better than woman...?

I don't think a term that is relevant to North America should be pushed on others, but because it just doesn't serve a purpose, like how POC doesn't really hold meaning as a term outside of colonizer states.

But I don't think a word or term's validity matters on if I can see the purpose or not, though. 

FBF
2 hours ago, Communion said:

People rarely try to do some social commentary with their nicknames :rip: 

Communion sis I have to call you out. It's not the same anymore. There's still that great post here and there, but you're losing it a little bit. I HATE the new way you're presenting your post the : 

you : "RIDICULOUS STATEMENT IN CAAAAPS" 

also : "EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS STATEMENT IN MORE CAPS !!11!!"

isn't aesthetically pleasing :dancehall: