Best of 2018 is now open! Read more... ×

Atheists & Agnostics Hangout Thread

6,470 posts in this topic

The Unforgiving
23 hours ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

today I was coming home, tired af because of college, and this random guy stopped me and asked "where do we get meaning of life? is it from science, politics or from bible?"

I immediately told him I wasn't interested.

bye

Well, the answer is talent aka science

bye

Communion

@LoKoPaNdA

This is a kinda good start for more basic 101 type of info on different leftist and marxist beliefs. 

And the guy is kinda cute. :gaycat5:

Kassi

Me and my uncle had a debate about religion yesterday in the car and it wasn't so bad. We actually agreed on the basic premise of religion being manmade.

.bye

Kassi

I'm like 90% sure the best answer to "What is the meaning of life?" is:

"To give life meaning."

I feel like it's the most honest and all encompassing answer. And it's literally what we've done with creation myths, religion, philosophy, art, and politics anyway. We've assigned meaning to things seemingly arbitrary. So the answer to the question has always been right under our noses.

.bye

Dontwantfun

What is your guys' position in the political spectrum? 

You can take the test here 

Mine be like:

4MaefUf.png

Dessy
3 hours ago, Kassi said:

Me and my uncle had a debate about religion yesterday in the car and it wasn't so bad. We actually agreed on the basic premise of religion being manmade.

.bye

Ooo this reminds me of the conversation I had with my grandpa some years ago. We were just discussing the aspects of the three religions and how it was all basically written and rewritten by men. But of course, he still believe in the moral principles and the concept of heaven (although something tell me he doesn't believe in Hell itself). It was really shocking to hear this coming from him because he was a former preacher and attended church every week. I didn't expect him to actually disagree with several aspects of what they are preaching. He also see virtually no issue with the LGBTQ and changes in modern society. Who knew the holy man in the family would be the most open-minded (after me ofc)? The religious women in my family LOST. 

bye

Dessy
On 3/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, AvrilLaQueen said:

today I was coming home, tired af because of college, and this random guy stopped me and asked "where do we get meaning of life? is it from science, politics or from bible?"

I immediately told him I wasn't interested.

bye

On 3/7/2018 at 0:17 PM, AvrilLaQueen said:

oh no, this guy wasn't Jehovah witness... or least he didn't seem like one.

bye

I spot this tactic on campus all the time. He was HIDING a paper or card or mini bible. The giveaway here was him using "bible" instead of religion. Would've pointed you to his church or something if you actually talked to him 

bye

AvrilLaQueen
7 hours ago, Dessy said:

I spot this tactic on campus all the time. He was HIDING a paper or card or mini bible. The giveaway here was him using "bible" instead of religion. Would've pointed you to his church or something if you actually talked to him 

bye

maybe if he was a hot, rich daddy, I would take some time to talk with him, but he was old and his teeth were YELLOW.

bye

AvrilLaQueen
7 hours ago, Dontwantfun said:

What is your guys' position in the political spectrum? 

You can take the test here 

Mine be like:

4MaefUf.png

socially, I am pretty liberal

economically, I am

:gaycat4:

Ecstasy

@Communion whats the situation on the Supreme Court in your messy ass country. Has Trump managed  appoint judges that can overturn Roe v Wade?

Communion
1 hour ago, Ecstasy said:

@Communion whats the situation on the Supreme Court in your messy ass country. Has Trump managed  appoint judges that can overturn Roe v Wade?

It's back to what it was before the ultra-conservative Scalia died - 4 conservative, 4 liberal, 1 flip vote. Though they recently overturned some key case about certain rights of unions, so it's a little......concerning. Basically all four and the middle vote have to stay on until 2020 or it'll become conservative. 

Ecstasy
1 minute ago, Communion said:

It's back to what it was before the ultra-conservative Scalia died - 4 conservative, 4 liberal, 1 flip vote. Though they recently overturned some key case about certain rights of unions, so it's a little......concerning. Basically all four and the middle vote have to stay on until 2020 or it'll become conservative. 

A mess. Aren't 3 of them in late 80s. Dear God that I don't believe in

fffff Leave it to conservatives to be against teacher unions but be for arming them in case of school shootings :lmao:

DanDuke

Has anyone here read Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind? 

The parts about religion are so interesting 

badgirlriri
10 minutes ago, Communion said:

Yikes, hoping that the liberals all survive these next two years :dancehall:

Dessy
5 hours ago, AvrilLaQueen said:

maybe if he was a hot, rich daddy, I would take some time to talk with him, but he was old and his teeth were YELLOW.

bye

bye

Dessy

I don't see the current SC or even a slightly more conservative leaning SC overturning Roe... 

But messier things had happened in government recently, I guess. 

ZsOvYv1.gif

Communion

I'm gonna bring this thread out anytime someone says I don't criticize Islam. :fan:

Sis, you can be Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, or Pastafarian, I support the rights of individuals to live their own lives how they see fit as it pertains to themselves, but not superior law becoming theocratic law :fan:

lonnie

I can't believe there was a point in time I wasn't pro-choice. Thank Science I saw the light.

LoKoPaNdA
On 08/03/2018 at 7:33 PM, Communion said:

@LoKoPaNdA

This is a kinda good start for more basic 101 type of info on different leftist and marxist beliefs. 

And the guy is kinda cute. :gaycat5:

Oop let me bookmark :gaycat3: On my way to becoming a comrade

Ecstasy

Hate the word Queer. It's literally what homophobes call gays. Whose bright idea was that to try and use it for the LGBT, I want to kick them in the nuts

ProudLBS
24 minutes ago, Ecstasy said:

Hate the word Queer. It's literally what homophobes call gays. Whose bright idea was that to try and use it for the LGBT, I want to kick them in the nuts

I know, right? :skull:

Lucas32
3 hours ago, Ecstasy said:

Isn‘t this a case of people trying to reclaim a slur? I get why people wanna do it but I wish we could just let all slurs die out instead of people reclaiming them but I guess it‘s not my place to judge.

Ecstasy
12 minutes ago, Lucas32 said:

Isn‘t this a case of people trying to reclaim a slur? I get why people wanna do it but I wish we could just let all slurs die out instead of people reclaiming them but I guess it‘s not my place to judge.

It is and it's not working. Well as far as I can tell it's more popular in the states. I hate that word, it has nothing but negative associations for me and I find these attempts to reclaim it ridiculous.

Lucas32
26 minutes ago, Ecstasy said:

It is and it's not working. Well as far as I can tell it's more popular in the states. I hate that word, it has nothing but negative associations for me and I find these attempts to reclaim it ridiculous.

There‘s no German equivalent of word so the only time I ever heard it is in American movies where some stereotypical Southern homophobe goes on a rant about “the queers“ so I definitely get the negative connotations you‘re talking about.

Reclaiming slurs is a really tough topic in general and I don‘t really know how I feel about it. I have minority friends who I know would be fine with me using slurs in a non-negative manner but I still never do because it just feels uncomfortable and unessecary to me and I feel like it still validates actual bigotry on some level even if it‘s unintentional.