Does cognitive dissonance annoy you?

11 posts in this topic

K, so first off, to begin this essay, I thought I'd just say this. I never really understood how celebs walk up on stage at awards shows in revealing outfits and proceed to thank god for their award ( drags 80% of my faves). But yeah that's one example of cognitive dissonance that kinda still irks me tbh.

I mean, I was brought up in the church (no longer a believer since Agnosticism left me edgeless) but I know that there is so much more required of someone that wants to go around the label of a christian

Also, another example is the abbhorent, hypocritical "christians" who, on one hand will bash gays and on another will fornicate with their 5 baby mamas. Oh and don't forget to catch them crying at the club drinking their favourite vodka (which is a ticket to hell according to Paul of the New (not Old) Testament, but that's for another thread).

So what are y'alls thoughts about this?

yes it annoys me

particularly when I want to be really successful and go far in life, but I love skipping classes and staying in bed till midday

Yes, and as a black person it's so obnoxious. For some it's like religion is only a thing when it comes to gays because that's the only sin

I guess it does. Especially when I'm like "it's my 1st year in uni, I'm ready to slay" later that day "I'm over it"

2 hours ago, Harmonous said:

K, so first off, to begin this essay, I thought I'd just say this. I never really understood how celebs walk up on stage at awards shows in revealing outfits and proceed to thank god for their award ( drags 80% of my faves). But yeah that's one example of cognitive dissonance that kinda still irks me tbh.

I mean, I was brought up in the church (no longer a believer since Agnosticism left me edgeless) but I know that there is so much more required of someone that wants to go around the label of a christian

Also, another example is the abbhorent, hypocritical "christians" who, on one hand will bash gays and on another will fornicate with their 5 baby mamas. Oh and don't forget to catch them crying at the club drinking their favourite vodka (which is a ticket to hell according to Paul of the New (not Old) Testament, but that's for another thread).

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Forgot to add:

It's not about being religious or about any specific religion, it's about having a relationship with Jesus. Even Christians fail, the Bible says we all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, that's why we need Jesus, because He alone can save us. There are no religious rules that can compare to the love of Jesus and what He did for us. No matter what we do, we can't gain salvation, salvation is FREELY GIVEN by God to anyone that believes in Jesus. We can't "judge" God based on what Christians say or do, because many people use the "title" Christian to excuse their cruel and satanic acts, as if carrying that title on top of their heads will suddenly excuse their behaviors. We can't judge God based on people, but we can know Him and know His heart when we seek Him and we realize this world is pretty hard you know? We need His guidance, help and love. God is God, and He is sovereign, compassionate, loving, forgiving, our healer, provider, our Father, our best friend, He is everything, He is willing to receive us just as we are, with all of our burdens, pains, and all our mistakes and then transform our hearts and remove every single thing that has caused us pain. God changed my life in a way no psychologist, psychiatrist, medicine, person, alcohol, ideologies could. 

---

I'm a bit confused as how this is dissonance. I don't recall there being a strict dress code on what to wear when you want to thank god for doing stuff...

---

But yeah it's annoying when you see it presented right in front of you. 

I never really understood how celebs walk up on stage at awards shows in revealing outfits and proceed to thank god for their award

Meanwhile in the bible 

adam_and_eve.jpg

37 minutes ago, Dessy Fenix said:

I'm a bit confused as how this is dissonance. I don't recall there being a strict dress code on what to wear when you want to thank god for doing stuff...

---

I say this cause a lot of christians, at least the ones I was growing around, believe that a christian must conduct themselves in a modest way and according to the "holy spirit" and that includes not showing your goodies.mp3. Even the bible (and yes that includes the New Testament (i count em)), have guidelines as to how a christian should dress and what they're allowed to do. Why do you think a lot if christians slut shame? You think the way you dress isn't important to them? 

That's why I get kinda irked when people who express their sexuality don't totally own up to it & want to bring god into the equation. It doesn't work both ways & it shows that they haven't read the bible without skimming through some contradicting things ( ignoring the first step to the good sis Agnosticism  :eli:).

41 minutes ago, Dessy Fenix said:

---

I think the OP has implied that they do not only wear revealing clothes but it comes with a distorted message as well, like the songs about uncommitted sex, using drugs and stuff. 

27 minutes ago, Harmonous said:

I say this cause a lot of christians, at least the ones I was growing around, believe that a christian must conduct themselves in a modest way and according to the "holy spirit" and that includes not showing your goodies.mp3. Even the bible (and yes that includes the New Testament (i count em)), have guidelines as to how a christian should dress and what they're allowed to do. Why do you think a lot if christians slut shame? You think the way you dress isn't important to them? 

That's why I get kinda irked when people who express their sexuality don't totally own up to it & want to bring god into the equation. It doesn't work both ways & it shows that they haven't read the bible without skimming through some contradicting things ( ignoring the first step to the good sis Agnosticism  :eli:).

I know there are stuff the bible say to wear/not wear but tbh the bible in respect to modern culture is one big mess for this issue. There's Adam and Eve who were completely naked and that was suppose to be "perfect" until it was understood as bad and shameful. You can't wear two different materials in one. No tattoos. No cross-dressing or sharing. No accessories. No clothes from other foreign places. And, of course, modest clothing (which fit in with what you're saying.) 

My thing is that many Christians practically violate these things. I guess it does qualify as dissonance in any case but I feel it's more how you view the religion. Plus there's the issue of differing standards, what's revealing to one group probably isn't as such to another group. 

18 minutes ago, MaoMars said:

I think the OP has implied that they do not only wear revealing clothes but it comes with a distorted message as well, like the songs about uncommitted sex, using drugs and stuff. 

That consideration at least make more sense since it's a fuller conflict of what they're saying to the audience.