Kelly refused a writing credit on MLWSWY bc of Dr. Luke

150 posts in this topic

From her EW article on stands now:

Clarkson also didn't always get final say over her collaborators.  After 2004's Breakaway, she asked not to work with "Since U Been Gone" co-producer Dr. Luke because she found him demeaning and difficult in the studio.  Yet Clarkson says her label forced her to reunite with him for her 2009 single "My Life Would Suck Without You." In protest, Clarkson says she refused a writing credit so her name wouldn't appear next to his, even though she says she was instrumental in developing the eventual No. 1 hit. "If you heard the original version, you wouldn't have wanted to record it either," she says. "But I Made it work because I didn't want the rest of the album to suffer for that." (Of Dr. Luke's current legal battle with Kesha, Clarkson says she has no insight but adds, "There are many people in the world to befriend, and he is not one of them.")

Kelly-Clarkson-Entertainment-Weekly-SeptKelly-Clarkson-Entertainment-Weekly-Sept

I ain't reading all that, be a lamb and summarize it

Just now, mariahcarey said:

Just did, edited the OP

3 minutes ago, mariahcarey said:

You would if it was Mariah Carey :nicole2:

Interesting article and much respect to her for giving up a writing credit because she didnt' want to be associated with that psycho

She kinda has a habit of doing that -- with her biggest hits as well. Didn't she pass on writing credits for Stronger? Anyways, kudos to her.

I love how brutally honest she is. :laugh: In all of her interviews, I feel like I'm listening to a friend because she's so relatable/real.

2 minutes ago, noepse said:

She kinda has a habit of doing that -- with her biggest hits as well. Didn't she pass on writing credits for Stronger? Anyways, kudos to her.

so righteous

too bad certain other singers don't do that

this interview is fantastic 

Love how open she is.

So glad she's got a new label now because she obviously deserved so much better.

Love that she can finally do what she wants.

Can P!nk join her too please. 

I love her so much because she's never afraid of saying what's on her mind 

Kelly is here to speak her truth and I'm so excited about it!! She said she was writing a book outside of her kids books and I am hoping it's more stories from her 15 year career. 

she missed out on songwriting royalties esp a number one? wow thats respectable i guess shes about the music not the bling!

All I Ever Wanted was an ABUM

Omg that call out :jonny:

Her story when originally promoting it was that when it was sent to her, it wasn't really something she would say, so she asked Max and Luke to rewrite the lyrics catered towards her more.  Completely makes sense that she was the one who actually rewrote it, she hinted a couple years ago that there were hits of hers that she had completely rewritten and didn't take credit for because of label stuff. Also, she seemed kinda jaded during the AIEW era, like she was so fed up with her label stuff and wasn't really happy.  Things got much better after that, but I love seeing how she has such a rejuvenated passion now because she finally gets to do what she wants without any of the label BS.

I remember she said the original version was super try hard, had unnecessary cursing, I think she said it had a line about weed or something :rip: 

I love how she did things she didn't want to just for the sake of releasing the music she wanted to. A true musician. 

She's a true gem. She's one of the only pop stars I think I'd actually be able to sit down and have a real conversation with.

lemme stan real quick

I love this interview :jonny3: 

:clap3:

YASSS Kelly expose that filth for what he is! Kelly stays a true musician who cares about her work. 

I'm surprised she didn't mention how she fought against having Already Gone be on her album & a single because she found out Ryan Tedder gave the same track to Beyonce (Halo).

Good for her. I'm glad she decided to stand up to him. 

You guys should all buy/stream Love So Soft and Move You, and preorder her upcoming album Meaning Of Life! :cm:

I love her so much - one of very few real Pop singers we have left.  I have so much respect for Kelly musical and as a person.  A true artist, she is. 

Good on her for not taking anymore ****.