PLATINUM HIT 11▴ congratulations aurora ♛

Jackson

I’m still cackling at me getting my revenge on this ****ty challenge by dedicating a whole section of my song to Patterns. :ahh: 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ultraviolence.xx

• Jackson

• UFO

• ceremonials

1 hour ago, Hug said:

Something tells me I should've just sent Small Bird

Small Bird is iconic tbh

reviews coming in the next couple hours x

13 hours ago, Aurora said:

I thought minho was going to submit? :'( Any chance of reviews tomorrow? I take it results are pushed back at least 1-2 days because of the extension.

no, results will still be tonight assuming citrus is in on time (he's at a festival this weekend so he was going to try to get things done this morning)

OK IM ACTUALLY STARTING REVIEWS NOW I PROMISE

mIkvXNK.png

@Hug – I’ll Be There

I think this whole polysyllabic word thing was a good choice for you, and not that you’ve ever noticeable struggled with it before, but the flow of your lyrics was really really nice this week. This was really cute as well. It felt very lyrically song melodic even in the lyrics, and the prechorus and chorus were catchy and powerful. The word limit did feel a bit more limiting than it needed to, leaving me wanting to hear more of the story, but this was pretty strong overall.

@Tsareena – Alphabet Soup

I was glad you chose to eliminate rhymes, because you’ve honestly always felt held back by them, and I felt this was a chance to see you not have to hold back at all and just go for it. Instead, your alphabet gimmick seemed to guide your song. Don’t get me wrong, it was really inventive, and I approve of that, but just like your rhymes seemed to drive the narrative of your song in past weeks, the alphabet seemed to do it this week. Some of the letters were a bit of reaches too (“a man that’s more than W”?). Still, I’m always happy to see your entries because you’re so unabashedly Tsareena and I can always count on you for a couple kiis.

@Aurora – Pink Oasis

Is this a ***** anthem? I usually hate color gimmick songs but this was really well executed. I did find the meaning of your song a little hard to understand without the commentary, but looking back it’s just layered. Not saying you needed to do this, but a cool take could have been to set the song over the course of a day, with the evening finally showing actual acceptance or something like that. You used very lush imagery, and I think the challenge of not repeating any words really enabled that. It was hard not to get lost in the song.

@mxtthewdelrey – Abandon

OK what is this? It’s like, really good. Maybe you were in Tsareena’s boat, being held back by rhymes. This feels very genuine, very powerful, very strong. I love “To die without me is a mockery of all dry eyes/Separate your body from mine, no longer intertwined”. This was quite poetic admittedly, but as scorned contestant pears was told, this was a great round to be poetic. I’m not sure what the toe of Mother Earth is, but it feels beyond me.

@MattyTacos – Chinese Paper Cuts

I had no idea what Chinese paper cuts were before this, so thanks for that education! I’m not sure what exact purpose they serve in the song apart from nice exotic imagery, but it was cool I guess. You had really nice imagery, and the lack of rhymes didn’t take away from the musicality of the song, as you kept everything lyrical and within a nice song structure.

@SaintWest – Veins

I like that you took the challenge and seemingly added an additional one by stripping down the structure of your song and eliminating a chorus. How personal and risky! I love songs that take a moment and make a story out of them, and you did a great job of that here. The last stanza was the best in my opinion, in that you provided another side of the story and turned the analytical components of the song to the narrator. It would have been cool to liken the whole fist/tango thing even more and talk about your own fists or something, but otherwise well done!

@ultraviolence.xx – strange love

A mess at literally everyone choosing 200 words. I knew that was going to kinda be the freebie, but I didn’t think EVERYONE would choose it. Also slay at you also being personal and risky a and choosing three challenges. Ugh that first verse is so relatable. I found the songs that didn’t use words with multiple syllables were actually more powerful. They conveyed their purpose in a very simple, almost childlike innocence, which allowed their meanings to cut much deeper. The length of this was perfect as well. You told your story without leaving me feeling like I needed more. You could have developed the rope metaphor more, but that’s only a minor issue.

13 minutes ago, Jackson said:

@mxtthewdelrey – Abandon

OK what is this? It’s like, really good. Maybe you were in Tsareena’s boat, being held back by rhymes. This feels very genuine, very powerful, very strong. I love “To die without me is a mockery of all dry eyes/Separate your body from mine, no longer intertwined”. This was quite poetic admittedly, but as scorned contestant pears was told, this was a great round to be poetic. I’m not sure what the toe of Mother Earth is, but it feels beyond me.

omg i SCREAMED thank you so much sis :jonny: i'm so grateful

3 things

1- I've watched over 30 hours of horror movies this weekend because I'm at a horror film festival, so I'm super duper busy :/

2- Still gonna get my reviews in tho! Scores are sent and my reviews should come between screening blocks in like 3ish hours

3- This is by far my highest average for a round, nobody got lower than an 8 from me :jonny4: 

Just now, Citrus said:

3 things

1- I've watched over 30 hours of horror movies this weekend because I'm at a horror film festival, so I'm super duper busy :/

2- Still gonna get my reviews in tho! Scores are sent and my reviews should come between screening blocks in like 3ish hours

3- This is by far my highest average for a round, nobody got lower than an 8 from me :jonny4: 

mess

@Jackson I actually felt like that's what I did with the song being set over a day; it begins with morning sun and ends with midnight mind and the final stanza/tercet is the new morning/sunrise! But I'm glad the colour gimmick wasn't too bad and you got lost in it. :party: 

3 minutes ago, Citrus said:

a surprised wig :eek: 

13 minutes ago, Citrus said:

This is by far my highest average for a round, nobody got lower than an 8 from me :jonny4:

not the SCREAM i just let out. how???

@ceremonials my first thought was how many people are in each pic but then i realized nobody coulda got a 16

SaintWest, sweetie I'm so sorry you were compared to freakshow, the worst ahs season ever :biblio:

2 minutes ago, ultraviolence.xx said:

not the SCREAM i just let out. how???

Idk tbh! I think because almost all of you did the 200 word thing so the word choices were very careful and not a lot felt extra or out of place. I gave three people 9+, one of which was a 10

my maternal era is here

Just now, Citrus said:

Idk tbh! I think because almost all of you did the 200 word thing so the word choices were very careful and not a lot felt extra or out of place. I gave three people 9+, one of which was a 10

my maternal era is here

i stan mother! citrus 

2 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

SaintWest, sweetie I'm so sorry you were compared to freakshow, the worst ahs season ever :biblio:

Not something being worse than Cult omg :toofunny2: 

chronological order

1. uvie

2. aurora

3. hug

4. saintwest

5. matty

6. tsareena

7. the good sis mxtthewdelrey

metacritic score (critic)

1. tsareena

2. hug

3. saintwest

4. the good sis mxtthewdelrey

5. aurora

6. uvie

7. matty

metacritic score (user)

1. aurora

2. uvie

3. hug

4. tsareena

5. matty = saintwest

7. the good sis mxtthewdelrey

whale that's all my hard work done for the night. time for a glass of wine

1 minute ago, Hug said:

Not something being worse than Cult omg :toofunny2: 

Cult has likable, developed characters (Kai, Winter, Ally, Beverly, Meadow, Harrison), the cast is well-acted, genuinely horrific moments (the nail scene) and actually provides quality unlike Freakshow, the 2nd half of Roanoke (outside the finale), & Murder House. It's the strongest season since Asylum. 

I have all scores now, but Citrus is planning on doing reviews in a couple hours so I won't do results till after that

2 minutes ago, MattyTacos said:

Cult has likable, developed characters (Kai, Winter, Ally, Beverly, Meadow, Harrison), the cast is well-acted, genuinely horrific moments (the nail scene) and actually provides quality unlike Freakshow, the 2nd half of Roanoke (outside the finale), & Murder House. It's the strongest season since Asylum. 

The only AHS anything I've seen is Cult and if it's among the better seasons, I know to avoid the whole thing like the plague I guess. :toofunny2: 

I suppose I should mention WHY I don't like it.

Spoiler

Every episode I watched felt like it was a tumblr fan-fiction power fantasy given a high budget TV series. for instance, when that one guy goes and grabs the woman (one of the lesbians?) by the pussy and so two of the girls kidnap him and then the edgy maniac guy tells him to cut his arm, when the woman who shot Andy Warhol was actually "revealed" to be the Zodiac Killer but she had her own cult of women and they were all the zodiac killer, or even when that maniac guy plots his own assassination attempt and then randomly gets Tweeted by Eric Trump like... :toofunny2: . That, and every episode seems to have buzzwords thrown in there and I genuinely can't tell if it's trying to be serious or not (like when one girl goes "GET WOKE!" as if I wasn't supposed to laugh.)

Also, the message of the whole series seems to be bluntly beat over your head, and we're told how we're supposed to think, feel, and act by characters in passing dialogue and it's groan-inducing. WE GET IT, TRUMP'S A BAD PRESIDENT.