377 posts in this topic

Conservative

aPQ4nK0.png

Programmers Thread

Thread thread = new Thread("100th time");

thread.execute();

thread.do_not_flop();

Members:

@Bloo @Adonis @Pozeidon @Jotham @Puakenikeni @hooky @that G.U.Y. @Starburst @AlphaOmega @iamvladd @KareBear@Brite Lites ☆@soml @Costea@Tylerbv@Soeplepel@Robyn@Hurem@BudBud@rivers @nihility@Britney Spears@Envy@danielins@PrinceLightning@RainDreamer@prézli @Production_101@Serpentine@Erebos@Raster@RideOrDie @Sirnight @I'm JAVIng Fun  @Starstruck.@Vrx. @nathanspears

How's everyone doing?  I hope the 2017 members are a bit interested in programming, to keep this going.

What are everyone's plans for this year?  Anyone doing IT projects?  Anyone doing programming as a job?

Introduce yourself!

bS8cqwV.gif

bS8cqwV.gifbS8cqwV.gifbS8cqwV.gif

bS8cqwV.gif

bS8cqwV.gif

that G.U.Y.

I was waiting for this thread!

I'm learning JavaScript. I need to make some personal apps to sort through some information dumps.

Conservative
3 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

I'm learning JavaScript. I need to make some personal apps to sort through some information dumps.

Greetings sistren!  That's so cool!  Are you currently right now studying in CS?

I'm currently learning JS right now, and I think next semester we will be diving into the MEAN stack.  I honestly can't stand JS, but you can't really escape its wrath.  C# is my main though. :smitten:

Vrx.

Hi fellow thots :gaycat4:

What are your languages of choice?

I've utilized: C (v99, as well as v11), C++ (v11, v14), Java, and Python

I have to brush up on some basics of PHP/Javascript though, it's been a good minute 

Bloo
6 minutes ago, that G.U.Y. said:

Drop JavaScript and go with Python for data.

JavaScript is probably the worst language in high demand, imo.

Conservative
Just now, Bloo said:

That's what I've been hearing from experts too.  I hear that JS, especially Node.JS is extremely CPU intensive albeit it's fast performance, whereas Scala and Python are languages that are meant for data.

Vrx.
1 minute ago, ABEL-o-matic said:

That's what I've been hearing from experts too.  I hear that JS, especially Node.JS is extremely CPU intensive albeit it's fast performance, whereas Scala and Python are languages that are meant for data.

Python's built-in support for JSON alone makes it an excellent choice 

Conservative
4 minutes ago, Vrx. said:

I need to refresh C# but I HATE visual studio 

Visual Studio is amazing! :weeps:  I can't wait for 2017 version. :smitten:

4 minutes ago, Vrx. said:

Hi fellow thots :gaycat4:

What are your languages of choice?

I've utilized: C (v99, as well as v11), C++ (v11, v14), Java, and Python

I have to brush up on some basics of PHP/Javascript though, it's been a good minute 

Hi sis.  I am maining C#, and now Ruby on Rails as @Bloo suggested for web framework.

Have you created any apps yet?  What is your portfolio like? :gaycat: Since you told me that you are very much into finance, have you ever thought about creating a FinTech app or something? :eek:

Conservative
Just now, Vrx. said:

Python's built-in support for JSON alone makes it an excellent choice 

I try to escape JS as much as I can, but there's really no escape. :rip::weeps:

Vrx.
1 minute ago, ABEL-o-matic said:

Hi sis.  I am maining C#, and now Ruby on Rails as @Bloo suggested for web framework.

Have you created any apps yet?  What is your portfolio like? :gaycat: Since you told me that you are very much into finance, have you ever thought about creating a FinTech app or something? :eek:

Just now, ABEL-o-matic said:

I have done a lot of Android apps for ***** and giggles, but overall I have been too lazy to actually create anything that's $$$ 

However, I've done tons of crawling/scraping in Python (you should DEF learn to do this if you don't know how) and data collection, as well as JSON parsing/creation and data persistence 

Java is one of my go-tos for GUI applications 

C/C++ are better for text-based applications that need lots of computation

Visual C++ is horrid :'(

Bloo
39 minutes ago, Vrx. said:

I have done a lot of Android apps for ***** and giggles, but overall I have been too lazy to actually create anything that's $$$ 

However, I've done tons of crawling/scraping in Python (you should DEF learn to do this if you don't know how) and data collection, as well as JSON parsing/creation and data persistence 

Java is one of my go-tos for GUI applications 

C/C++ are better for text-based applications that need lots of computation

Visual C++ is horrid :'(

GUI programming is basically terrible for anything outside of web and app development.

Vrx.
Just now, Bloo said:

GUI programming is basically terrible for anything outside of web and app development.

PyQT GUI for Python is extremely easy (including NumPy for plots)

QT for C/C++ is horrid though

AlphaOmega
55 minutes ago, Bloo said:

JavaScript is probably the worst language in high demand, imo.

52 minutes ago, ABEL-o-matic said:

this.

Tylerbv

I hate semaphore code with a passion.

Also, I haven't learned anything related to GUIs yet :jonny: I kinda wanna learn on my own but idk how. I prefer Python and C to Java :biblio:

Bloo
23 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

I hate semaphore code with a passion.

Also, I haven't learned anything related to GUIs yet :jonny: I kinda wanna learn on my own but idk how. I prefer Python and C to Java :biblio:

34BC6C0D00000578-3614589-image-a-2_14644

Adonis

C# is considered to be a better version of Java. However, I use JavaScript and Swift right now. They seem to be growing in popularity whereas C# has stalled. 

Tylerbv
47 minutes ago, Bloo said:

34BC6C0D00000578-3614589-image-a-2_14644

I literally hate Java with a passion :jonny: I have issues with how difficult everything is. I never understood readers/writers/buffers, but they're much easier in C :rip:

Adonis
2 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

I literally hate Java with a passion :jonny: I have issues with how difficult everything is. I never understood readers/writers/buffers, but they're much easier in C :rip:

I hate Java too. So awful.

Tylerbv
5 minutes ago, Adonis said:

C# is considered to be a better version of Java. However, I use JavaScript and Swift right now. They seem to be growing in popularity whereas C# has stalled. 

Interesting. I know (very little) Javascript and I liked some of the style. I know literally nothing about Swift tho.

Bloo
6 minutes ago, Tylerbv said:

Oh, I will say Java's I/O is ****ing terrible. 

7 minutes ago, Adonis said:

My issue with Swift is that they keep making massive changes to the language, which makes it frustrating to keep up with.

Adonis
10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Oh, I will say Java's I/O is ****ing terrible. 

My issue with Swift is that they keep making massive changes to the language, which makes it frustrating to keep up with.

They do make massive updates but from what I understand most of those massive updates to Swift are mostly over. I would like to see more support for functional programming though. I love protocol oriented programming and delegation. 

rivers

Y'all on a higher level than me but I've been improving on my Python skills this past year. @Bloo knows :keir: I'm doing Python for my capstone project too so I'm happy about my improvement. GIS developers mostly use Python so it's something I really want to master. In my Web GIS class we're using Java Script so it would be cool to learn that as well :cupid: 

Bloo
1 minute ago, rivers said:

Y'all on a higher level than me but I've been improving on my Python skills this past year. @Bloo knows :keir: I'm doing Python for my capstone project too so I'm happy about my improvement. GIS developers mostly use Python so it's something I really want to master. In my Web GIS class we're using Java Script so it would be cool to learn that as well :cupid: 

Hopefully y'all have a good JavaScript API for that course.... JavaScript is a language that doesn't really do a single thing well, making it as an experience very dependent on the APIs.

rivers
Just now, Bloo said:

Hopefully y'all have a good JavaScript API for that course.... JavaScript is a language that doesn't really do a single thing well, making it as an experience very dependent on the APIs.

Yeah we haven't gone far with JavaScript yet so hopefully it's not painful like it sounds. Our assignment this week was to finish an entire JavaScript course on codecademy so that's how early it is :ahh:  We have been using the Aptana Studio IDE for HTML stuff so I'm assuming that's what we will be using for JS. At least I can say I can proficiently create a basic ass webpage with CSS now. I enjoy HTML coding tbh. :jonny: