238 posts in this topic

ultraviolence.xx
4 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

It's a SERIES?

as far as i know, they’re a loosely-related trilogy: housekeeping, gilead, and lila (with home as a direct sequel to gilead).

edit: ope, i lied. housekeeping is unrelated, but gilead, home, and lila form a trilogy. 

velocity

i wanted to post about this and ask if there is maybe someone who can relate to this at all. probably not.

when i was a kid + teen i LOVED reading books. i was always reading something, getting lost in books was something I did all the time. i don't know how much or how fast I was reading, it was just something i was doing and something i genuinely loved SO much. a couple of years ago i discovered goodreads and booktube. at first i was ecstatic because i thought i finally found a community that loves reading as much as I do. i subscribed to loads of channels and started watching all the book hauls, reviews etc. Updated my goodreads religiously and made sure I was on track.

That's when I started to feel the pressure. I always thought i was a reader but somehow it made me feel inferior because people were reading up to 20 books a month. I started to read like crazy, no longer just enjoying it but because I felt like I had something to prove. every month I tried to match the numbers other people were doing and often I'd have read a book and didn't even remember what I was reading a month later. I started to despise reading because I felt like I couldn't keep up, yet I watched book hauls all the time and I kept ordering books like crazy.

This resulted in me being completely burnt out and barely reading anything. Last year I barely read 11 books (had to force myself through them) and I must have DNFed three times as many. When I look at my bookshelf it's full of unread books and I always feel like they're taunting me for failing to be the perfect reader. They feel like a dead weight to me. My bookshelf used to be my favorite part of my room, now I hate looking at it.

I already stopped using Goodreads and unsubscribed from all the booktubers. At the beginning of the year I watched Tyding up with Marie Kondo (which, if you don't know is about basically getting rid off everything that doesn't spark joy for you) and ever since then I wanted to throw away all the books I own. Since watching it I've been trying to sort through them but I keep getting overwhelmed because no matter how many I put on the 'throw away pile', the 'to read' pile keeps wearing me down and the thought of having to read them all makes me SO anxious. 

That's why I decided to throw them all away. All of them. I own hundreds of books and so many are unread and I'm gonna get rid off them all. Am I crazy for doing that?

I feel like if I do that I'll be able to finally have a fresh start and if I ever feel like picking up a book again, I can do so with a fresh start without feeling guilty or feeling the need to read the 300 other unread books I own. 

Avariko
On 1/23/2017 at 3:02 PM, wehan6 said:

i hate reading but i told myself that i have to read at least 10 books this year!

Same! I don't hate reading though but for some reason I just don't do it and I want to start but have no idea what should I read.

:jonny:

Miles.
7 hours ago, velocity said:

i wanted to post about this and ask if there is maybe someone who can relate to this at all. probably not.

when i was a kid + teen i LOVED reading books. i was always reading something, getting lost in books was something I did all the time. i don't know how much or how fast I was reading, it was just something i was doing and something i genuinely loved SO much. a couple of years ago i discovered goodreads and booktube. at first i was ecstatic because i thought i finally found a community that loves reading as much as I do. i subscribed to loads of channels and started watching all the book hauls, reviews etc. Updated my goodreads religiously and made sure I was on track.

That's when I started to feel the pressure. I always thought i was a reader but somehow it made me feel inferior because people were reading up to 20 books a month. I started to read like crazy, no longer just enjoying it but because I felt like I had something to prove. every month I tried to match the numbers other people were doing and often I'd have read a book and didn't even remember what I was reading a month later. I started to despise reading because I felt like I couldn't keep up, yet I watched book hauls all the time and I kept ordering books like crazy.

This resulted in me being completely burnt out and barely reading anything. Last year I barely read 11 books (had to force myself through them) and I must have DNFed three times as many. When I look at my bookshelf it's full of unread books and I always feel like they're taunting me for failing to be the perfect reader. They feel like a dead weight to me. My bookshelf used to be my favorite part of my room, now I hate looking at it.

I already stopped using Goodreads and unsubscribed from all the booktubers. At the beginning of the year I watched Tyding up with Marie Kondo (which, if you don't know is about basically getting rid off everything that doesn't spark joy for you) and ever since then I wanted to throw away all the books I own. Since watching it I've been trying to sort through them but I keep getting overwhelmed because no matter how many I put on the 'throw away pile', the 'to read' pile keeps wearing me down and the thought of having to read them all makes me SO anxious. 

That's why I decided to throw them all away. All of them. I own hundreds of books and so many are unread and I'm gonna get rid off them all. Am I crazy for doing that?

I feel like if I do that I'll be able to finally have a fresh start and if I ever feel like picking up a book again, I can do so with a fresh start without feeling guilty or feeling the need to read the 300 other unread books I own. 

I.... I'm not sure if you're serious because this seems ridiculously OTT, but if you are:

Don't feel pressured.  90% of people our age don't read at all, so you're already reading way more than most.  When I was going to uni, I literally only read in December and May, because I was too busy every other month.  Now, I go through periods where I read three books in one week, and then periods where I don't read for four months straight.

If you DNF a book, that's the book's fault.  Don't blame yourself.  A good book COMPELS you to finish it.  I DNF tons of ****ty murder mysteries.  

If the books on your shelves are giving you anxiety, sure, get rid of them.  But I hope you're at least donating them to a used bookstore, not throwing them out.  

Anyway, good luck!  Reading should bring you joy!  And if it doesn't, that's okay.  Don't force yourself to do something you hate.  Everyone has different hobbies.

Wicked
On 1/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, velocity said:

First, please donate the books to your local library if possible.

I kinda get what you're saying but I've never experienced this as a fan of any entertainment medium. Instead of looking at booktubers as competition maybe try to alter your relationship with them.

As a Television/Film fan, I don't try to keep up with the critics I follow on social media -- I follow them because they might post about something that interests me yet wasn't on my radar at all. My view of reviews isn't to decide what to watch, but to see their perspective and certain things they point out. Doing those things gives myself space to breathe and watch what I truly want rather than what's all the rage. I look to those people/communities for discourse; Roger Ebert hates some movies that I love, but he's still one of my favorite critics because of how he can articulate his thoughts around a film and etc,.

When you do try to start reading again try to change your perspective. Trying to keep up with those people seems like a nightmare. My to read list & tv+film watchlists are super long too, but I'm not under any pressure to clear them out. I get to it when I get to it and that makes it a more enjoyable experience rather than frantically trying to cross things off the list. Physical manifestations of those lists would drive me insane so this is probably your best decision :skull:

Also gonna come out and say you shouldn't buy any book you haven't read imo. that should stop things from getting overwhelming.

Wicked
On 1/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, Avariko said:

Same! I don't hate reading though but for some reason I just don't do it and I want to start but have no idea what should I read.

:jonny:

Reading some of your favorite artists favorite books, books that were adapted into movies you like & classic novellas (short novels, usually less than 200 pages) is always a great start.

Or whatever popular YA book is around if you're into that.

CosTaSsSs

I would like to read a Romantic novel, but with not a cliche happy ending.. maybe an empowering happy ending if you get what I mean.. any suggestions?

fridayteenage

becoming has one of the t10 #1 streaks on amazon. it's a bit annoying because they won't say exactly the # of days for each book, but t10 from #10 to #1 is:

The Help

The Lost Symbol

Becoming

Da Vinci Code

Harry Potter #4

Harry Potter #7

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose - some self help book on Oprah's Book Club

Harry Potter #6

Fifty Shades of Grey

Harry Potter #5

Whew Rowling's dominance.

https://www.amazon.com/article/twib/longest-sales-streaks.html?rw_useCurrentProtocol=1&ref=sin_tw_chrt_CS2&pf_rd_p=6d74c9b6-7c2c-4266-979c-3f02bee5b752&pf_rd_r=ZKNSATECDY5XFQGGV3XF&ref_=amb_link_01nRTDGtTFCWPa5f0ZhDYQ_4

ChatshireCat

King of Scars spoiler 

I hope the fact that you-know-who is back is an indication that LB is going to rectify that horrid ending that she wrote for Ruin and Rising :rip:

I just want Alina to be powerful again (and Mal preferably gone) :chick3:

fridayteenage

hmm six of crows was tolerable, but not giving the original mains another chance

Wicked

This thread should join (___ Fanatics) fam, just sayin'!

--

To put it on some radars because I'm excited, one of the most anticipated books of the year is from a gay Vietnamese poet whose debut novel will be out this year. He won the T.S. Elliot prize for his poetry collection Night Sky with Exit Wounds.

41880609.jpg

Named one of the most anticipated books of 2019 by Vulture, Entertainment Weekly, Buzzfeed, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Oprah.com, Huffington Post, The A.V. Club, Nylon, The Week, The Rumpus, The Millions, The Guardian, Publishers Weekly, and more.

Poet Ocean Vuong's debut novel is a shattering portrait of a family, a first love, and the redemptive power of storytelling On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is a letter from a son to a mother who cannot read. Written when the speaker, Little Dog, is in his late twenties, the letter unearths a family's history that began before he was born -- a history whose epicenter is rooted in Vietnam -- and serves as a doorway into parts of his life his mother has never known, all of it leading to an unforgettable revelation. At once a witness to the fraught yet undeniable love between a single mother and her son, it is also a brutally honest exploration of race, class, and masculinity. Asking questions central to our American moment, immersed as we are in addiction, violence, and trauma, but undergirded by compassion and tenderness, On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is as much about the power of telling one's own story as it is about the obliterating silence of not being heard. With stunning urgency and grace, Ocean Vuong writes of people caught between disparate worlds, and asks how we heal and rescue one another without forsaking who we are. The question of how to survive, and how to make of it a kind of joy, powers the most important debut novel of many years.

DemiLovato

Who has read The Things They Carried? It’s boring sos me