Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

229 posts in this topic

ultraviolence.xx
4 minutes ago, HausOfGerard said:

It's a SERIES?

as far as i know, they’re a loosely-related trilogy: housekeeping, gilead, and lila (with home as a direct sequel to gilead).

edit: ope, i lied. housekeeping is unrelated, but gilead, home, and lila form a trilogy. 

velocity

i wanted to post about this and ask if there is maybe someone who can relate to this at all. probably not.

when i was a kid + teen i LOVED reading books. i was always reading something, getting lost in books was something I did all the time. i don't know how much or how fast I was reading, it was just something i was doing and something i genuinely loved SO much. a couple of years ago i discovered goodreads and booktube. at first i was ecstatic because i thought i finally found a community that loves reading as much as I do. i subscribed to loads of channels and started watching all the book hauls, reviews etc. Updated my goodreads religiously and made sure I was on track.

That's when I started to feel the pressure. I always thought i was a reader but somehow it made me feel inferior because people were reading up to 20 books a month. I started to read like crazy, no longer just enjoying it but because I felt like I had something to prove. every month I tried to match the numbers other people were doing and often I'd have read a book and didn't even remember what I was reading a month later. I started to despise reading because I felt like I couldn't keep up, yet I watched book hauls all the time and I kept ordering books like crazy.

This resulted in me being completely burnt out and barely reading anything. Last year I barely read 11 books (had to force myself through them) and I must have DNFed three times as many. When I look at my bookshelf it's full of unread books and I always feel like they're taunting me for failing to be the perfect reader. They feel like a dead weight to me. My bookshelf used to be my favorite part of my room, now I hate looking at it.

I already stopped using Goodreads and unsubscribed from all the booktubers. At the beginning of the year I watched Tyding up with Marie Kondo (which, if you don't know is about basically getting rid off everything that doesn't spark joy for you) and ever since then I wanted to throw away all the books I own. Since watching it I've been trying to sort through them but I keep getting overwhelmed because no matter how many I put on the 'throw away pile', the 'to read' pile keeps wearing me down and the thought of having to read them all makes me SO anxious. 

That's why I decided to throw them all away. All of them. I own hundreds of books and so many are unread and I'm gonna get rid off them all. Am I crazy for doing that?

I feel like if I do that I'll be able to finally have a fresh start and if I ever feel like picking up a book again, I can do so with a fresh start without feeling guilty or feeling the need to read the 300 other unread books I own. 

Avariko
On 1/23/2017 at 3:02 PM, wehan6 said:

i hate reading but i told myself that i have to read at least 10 books this year!

Same! I don't hate reading though but for some reason I just don't do it and I want to start but have no idea what should I read.

:jonny:

Miles.
7 hours ago, velocity said:

i wanted to post about this and ask if there is maybe someone who can relate to this at all. probably not.

when i was a kid + teen i LOVED reading books. i was always reading something, getting lost in books was something I did all the time. i don't know how much or how fast I was reading, it was just something i was doing and something i genuinely loved SO much. a couple of years ago i discovered goodreads and booktube. at first i was ecstatic because i thought i finally found a community that loves reading as much as I do. i subscribed to loads of channels and started watching all the book hauls, reviews etc. Updated my goodreads religiously and made sure I was on track.

That's when I started to feel the pressure. I always thought i was a reader but somehow it made me feel inferior because people were reading up to 20 books a month. I started to read like crazy, no longer just enjoying it but because I felt like I had something to prove. every month I tried to match the numbers other people were doing and often I'd have read a book and didn't even remember what I was reading a month later. I started to despise reading because I felt like I couldn't keep up, yet I watched book hauls all the time and I kept ordering books like crazy.

This resulted in me being completely burnt out and barely reading anything. Last year I barely read 11 books (had to force myself through them) and I must have DNFed three times as many. When I look at my bookshelf it's full of unread books and I always feel like they're taunting me for failing to be the perfect reader. They feel like a dead weight to me. My bookshelf used to be my favorite part of my room, now I hate looking at it.

I already stopped using Goodreads and unsubscribed from all the booktubers. At the beginning of the year I watched Tyding up with Marie Kondo (which, if you don't know is about basically getting rid off everything that doesn't spark joy for you) and ever since then I wanted to throw away all the books I own. Since watching it I've been trying to sort through them but I keep getting overwhelmed because no matter how many I put on the 'throw away pile', the 'to read' pile keeps wearing me down and the thought of having to read them all makes me SO anxious. 

That's why I decided to throw them all away. All of them. I own hundreds of books and so many are unread and I'm gonna get rid off them all. Am I crazy for doing that?

I feel like if I do that I'll be able to finally have a fresh start and if I ever feel like picking up a book again, I can do so with a fresh start without feeling guilty or feeling the need to read the 300 other unread books I own. 

I.... I'm not sure if you're serious because this seems ridiculously OTT, but if you are:

Don't feel pressured.  90% of people our age don't read at all, so you're already reading way more than most.  When I was going to uni, I literally only read in December and May, because I was too busy every other month.  Now, I go through periods where I read three books in one week, and then periods where I don't read for four months straight.

If you DNF a book, that's the book's fault.  Don't blame yourself.  A good book COMPELS you to finish it.  I DNF tons of ****ty murder mysteries.  

If the books on your shelves are giving you anxiety, sure, get rid of them.  But I hope you're at least donating them to a used bookstore, not throwing them out.  

Anyway, good luck!  Reading should bring you joy!  And if it doesn't, that's okay.  Don't force yourself to do something you hate.  Everyone has different hobbies.