Feedback Wanted in ATRL's First Townhall Read more... ×

32,845 posts in this topic

M A R C

MVrCUCC.gif

Credit to @istan4badgalriri

Related imageRelated imageiydyH89.png?1

After being discovered by Evan Rogers in Barbados at 16, she auditioned for Jay-Z the next year, who signed her to Def Jam for a 6-album deal. Her debut single "Pon De Replay" was released in May that same year and quickly reached the Top 10 of the Hot 100, eventually peaking at #2 for 3 weeks.

Her 1st album "Music Of The Sun" came out in August 2005 and debuted at #10 in the US, earning a Gold certification 5 months later.

But despite the worldwide success of Pon De Replay and the moderate success of its follow-up "If It's Lovin' That You Want" (#11 UK, #9 Australia & NZ, #36 US, etc.), many people called her a one hit-wonder.

Related imageRelated imageImage result for rihanna world music awards 2006

Just 6 months after her debut album, "SOS" was released as her 2nd album's lead single and became her first #1 hit in the US, remaining at the top spot for 3 weeks. The same month, "A Girl like Me" debuted at #5 in the US with nearly twice the debut sales of her first album. It was certified Platinum 3 months after its release in the US, and reached Platinum in the UK the following month.

The album spawned 2 more Top 10 hits in the US: "Unfaithful", which met worldwide success like its predecessor, and "Break It Off". Thanks to the success of this album, Rihanna won several awards around the world including Female Artist Of The Year at the Billboard Music Awards.

Related image2007-rihanna-76624465.jpg3MiLR7g.png

While the success of A Girl Like Me cemented Rihanna's status as an international superstar, it was with her 3rd album "Good Girl Gone Bad" that she found her own unique style and became a pop culture phenomenon. The album's record-breaking lead single "Umbrella" topped the Hot 100 for 7 weeks and the UK Singles Chart for 10 weeks, eventually becoming the biggest hit of 2007 and a certified classic.

Good Girl Gone Bad debuted at #2 in the US and spawned two additional hits the same year, "Hate That I Love You" (#7 US) and "Shut Up And Drive" (#5 UK). Rihanna was awarded with her 1st American Music Award for Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist and took home Video Of The Year for Umbrella at the VMAs. But 2007 was only the beginning of Good Girl Gone Bad's domination.

Related imageRelated imageRelated image

Rihanna won her 1st Grammy Award in 2008 with Umbrella, for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration and was nominated for 3 more awards that night, including Record Of The Year. Additionally, she took home both Favorite Soul/R&B & Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist at the AMAs that year, and was named Top Female Artist of 2008 by Billboard.

Good Girl Gone Bad's Grammy-nominated 4th single "Don't Stop The Music" reached #1 in many international countries and #3 in the US. The album's reissue spawned 2 additional #1 hits, "Take A Bow" and "Disturbia", and Rihanna's hit collaboration with T.I. "Live Your Life" topped the Hot 100 for 6 weeks, becoming her 5th chart-topper at just 20 years old.

Good Girl Gone Bad was the 7th best-selling album of 2008 and was certified 5x Platinum by the RIAA in 2016.

Image result for rihanna 2009 met galaImage result for rihanna 2009 glamourRelated image

Rihanna was named Digital Songs Artist of the 2000's Decade by Billboard, just 4 years after her debut. In November 2009, she dropped her 4th album "Rated R", which earned a Platinum certification less than 2 months after its release. Her darkest project to date, the album featured elements of dubstep, hip-hop & rock, and was praised by music critics, described as a "a portrait of lived experience that doesn't step back from what's hardest to admit."

The album's lead single "Russian Roulette", a dark & mobid ballad about suicide, became Rihanna's 12th Top 10 hit in the US, but it was most successful in Europe, where it became the 9th best-selling single of 2010.

Related imageImage result for rihanna 2010 red hairRelated image

In November 2010, she released her 5th album "LOUD", which solidified her status as a Pop Icon and helped her become the only female artist in history to produce 4 #1s in a calendar year in the US: Rated R's 3rd single "Rude Boy", the Diamond-certified "Love The Way You Lie", the album's lead single "Only Girl (In The World)", and its follow-up "What's My Name?". Additionally, she became the first artist in Hot 100 history to have their 1st single go to #1 after their 2nd single.

The album gave Rihanna her highest 1st-week sales in the US at that time (207,000), debuting at #3. Despite being released 7 weeks before the end of the year, LOUD became the 4th best-selling album of 2010 in the UK and went on to become the UK's 10th best-selling album of the decade, as well as the best-selling album by a non-British female artist this decade, with 2M copies sold in the country.

Related imageRelated imageImage result for rihanna 2011 live

In 2011, Rihanna won her 4th Grammy with "Only Girl" for Best Dance Recording and her 1st BRIT Award for International Female Artist. She scored a record 18 nominations at the Billboard Music Awards and won 3 awards including Top Female Artist. Rihanna became the first female artist in UK chart history to have a #1 single in 5 consecutive years (Umbrella, Take A Bow, Run This Town, Only Girl, What's My Name?). In April 2011, she became the youngest & fastest solo artist to score 10 #1s on the Hot 100, as LOUD's 3rd single "S&M" topped the chart.

The same year, she played a record-breaking 10 dates at London's O2 Arena, grossing over $12M at the venue. In October 2011, her 6th album's lead single "We Found Love" debuted at #1 in the UK with 4 days of sales. She scored her second "chart double" of 2011 when "Talk That Talk" & "We Found Love" placed at #1 on their respective charts, making Rihanna the 1st female artist in UK history to score 2 "chart doubles" in the same year.

In the US, "We Found Love" gave Rihanna the record for a solo artist to have scored 20 Top 10 hits on the Hot 100 in the shortest amount of time. The song later became the longest-leading #1 hit of 2011 (10 weeks), and is now the 24th biggest Hot 100 hit of all time, as well as the biggest hit by a female artist this decade so far.

Related imageImage result for rihanna 2012 red carpetImage result for rihanna 2012 victoria's secret fashion show

In 2012, Soundscan ranked Rihanna as the best-selling digital artist in the country, breaking a Guinness World Record for digital single sales of over 58M in the US. Her 6th album Talk That Talk became the 8th best-selling album of 2012 in the US and her 5th consecutive Platinum-selling album.

"We Found Love" won Video Of The Year at the VMAs, making her the first female artist in history to win that award twice. In November 2012, her next album's lead single "Diamonds" became her 12th #1 hit in the US, tying her with Madonna and The Supremes as the artists with the 5th-most #1s in history. The following week, the song remained at #1 while its parent album "Unapologetic" debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 238k, making Rihanna the 2nd artist of 2012 to top both the Billboard 200 and Hot 100 simultaneously.

In the UK, "Diamonds" became her 7th chart-topper, and later became her 4th million-selling single in the country, making her the first solo artist in UK history to achieve this feat.

Image result for rihanna 2013 grammysImage result for rihanna 2013 icon awardImage result for rihanna 2013 diamonds tour givenchy

In 2013, Billboard named Rihanna Hot 100 Artist Of the Decade so far. The same year, she won 4 Billboard Music Awards including Top Radio Songs Artist, a few weeks after tying Mariah Carey for the most Radio Songs #1 in history with her smash hit "Stay". In February 2013, she won her 6th Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video with "We Found Love".

In March 2013, she embarked on the Diamonds World Tour and broke multiple records, becoming the youngest artist to sell out Stade de France, Millennium Stadium & Twickenham Stadium twice (at 25). She also became the first female and youngest artist to sell out Johannesburg's FNB Stadium. In November 2013, she was awarded with the first ever Icon Award at the American Music Awards, for her global impact on Pop music.

Her 7th album "Unapologetic" became her 6th consecutive Platinum-selling in the US and her 6th consecutive double-platinum-selling album in the UK.

Related imageImage result for rihanna 2014 cfda fashion iconRelated image

Rihanna won her 7th Grammy Award with her 7th album Unapologetic for Best Urban Contemporary Album in January 2014. Later that year, TIME ranked her as the 2nd biggest hitmaker of all time, behind Mariah Carey. In June, she was awarded with the CFDA Fashion Icon Award for her strong influence in the fashion industry. That night, her sheer dress covered in 230,000 Swarovski crystals became one of the most memorable fashion moments of all time.

The same year, Rihanna owned Paris Fashion Week and graced the cover of Vogue US twice, including the Met Gala edition, and created controversy with her NSFW Lui Magazine photoshoot which got her banned from Instagram. In December that year, she was announced as the new creative director of PUMA, expanding her domination in the fashion industry. She also continued her charity work, as her Clara Lionel Foundation's inaugural and annual Diamond Ball raised over $4M.

Image result for rihanna 2015 grammyImage result for rihanna 2015 met galaImage result for rihanna 2015 iheartradio

After leaving Def Jam Records to create her own label Westbury Road Entertainment, under license to Roc Nation, and acquiring the masters to all her previous albums, Rihanna released 3 new singles including the critically-acclaimed "FourFiveSeconds" with Paul McCartney & Kanye West. The song marked McCartney's first Top 10 on the Hot 100 chart after 29 years, breaking the record for longest break ever between Top 10 songs.

The next single "BBHMM" spent 23 weeks on the Hot 100 and eventually became one of her signature Urban hits, with its controversial & acclaimed music video, and the iconic "Bitch Better Have My Money" phrase. The same year, Rihanna starred in the animated movie "Home" which grossed nearly $400M globally, and was the executive producer of the movie's soundtrack.

In May 2015, Rihanna became the first black woman to front a Dior campaign, as well as the undisputed queen of the Met Gala with her show-stopping Guo Pei gown, which went on to become the most recognizable Met Gala look ever. The next month, she became the first artist in RIAA history to surpass 100M cumulative song certifications.

Related imageRelated imageRelated image

Rihanna released her critically-acclaimed 8th album "ANTI" in January 2016. The album's lead single "Work" became her 14th #1 hit in the US, breaking a tie with Michael Jackson for the 3rd-most #1s in history. The song remained at #1 for 9 weeks, making Rihanna the artist with the 2nd most cumulative weeks at #1 in history (60), second only to Mariah Carey. In April 2016, Rihanna scored her 2nd "chart double" in the US, as "ANTI" re-peaked at #1 while "Work" remained at the top spot for a 5th week.

The album was certified 2x Platinum by the RIAA just a little over 3 months after its release and was nominated for 6 Grammy Awards including Record Of The Year for "Work". Additionally, ANTI spawned the longest-charting single of Rihanna's career, "Needed Me", which spent 45 weeks on the Hot 100 and became her 29th Top 10 hit, tying her with Michael Jackson for the 3rd-most Hot 100 Top 10s. It also became the most on-demand streamed female song of all time in the US, surpassing its predecessor "Work".

Rihanna's debut clothing line with PUMA received rave reviews at New York Fashion Week in February 2016. She also became the first woman to win "Shoe of the Year" at FN's Achievement Award for her Fenty Puma Creeper. In May 2016, she won the Billboard Chart Achievement Award and gave an acclaimed performance of "Love On The Brain". Two months later, she was awarded with the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, for her "decade-long impact on music, pop culture, fashion, film and philanthropy".

Image result for rihanna harvard 2017Related imageQNzsz98.jpg

In February 2017, Rihanna became the first black artist in Hot 100 history to score 30 Top 10 hits with ANTI's final single "Love On The Brain", and broke a tie with Michael Jackson for the 3rd-most Top 10 hits of all time. The following month, "Love On The Brain" became her 22nd Top 5 hit, breaking a tie with Elvis Presley for the 5th-most in history.

With "Wild Thoughts", Rihanna scored her 9th #1 hit in the UK, tying Abba & the Spice Girls and becoming only the 10th act to claim 9 #1s. It later became her record-extending 11th single to sell over 1M units in the country (with streams added).

The same year, she received the Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award for her charity work. In October, Billboard named her the most successful Pop Radio artist of all time. Additionally, "ANTI" was the most succesful female album of Billboard's 2017 calendar year, despite being released in January 2016, and was named the 38th most successful female album of all time on the Billboard 200.

In December 2017, The Government of Barbados renamed Westbury New Road, "Rihanna Drive" in honor of Rihanna's global success. Earlier that year, she launched her groundbreaking makeup line Fenty Beauty which received rave reviews for its inclusiveness. Rihanna won several prestigious awards with Fenty Beauty, including Launch Of The Year at the Beauty Inc Awards and Innovator of The Year at the Beauty Innovator Awards.

Image result for rihanna 2018 grammys loyalty

Rihanna won her 9th Grammy Award with "Loyalty." for Best Rap/Sung Performance, extending her record for the most wins by a female artist in this category (5). With her N.E.R.D. feature "Lemon", she scored her milestone 50th Top 40 hit on the Hot 100, becoming the first black female artist to achieve this, and tying The Beatles for the 7th most Top 40 hits of all time.

In February 2018, her 2016 album "ANTI" spent its 100th week in the Billboard 200's Top 100. The same month, it broke the record for most Dance Club Songs #1s from one album, as the album's opening track "Consideration" became the 8th Dance Club chart-topper off the album.

Truth Teller

I've been waiting up all night

Baby tell me what's wrong

Gonna make it right

Make it all night long

MANFUCKYOPRIDE

tumblr_inline_nqqtb5zk571qkfmdo_500.gif

Fenrir
28 minutes ago, Haunter said:

Where is the LOTB VIDEO? :'(

Where is what? :huh: No idea what that is. :gaycat5:

8 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

I've been waiting up all night

Baby tell me what's wrong

Gonna make it right

Make it all night long

MANFUCKYOPRIDE

Always showing your slayful taste. 

Tom Vercetti

Sup folks. First page. I was listening to Music From The Sun earlier and it's really underrated. 

Spider.

The first half of Talk That Talk still slays. Should have been just an EP, tbh.

And hey yall.

Era
21 minutes ago, DILF $ said:

I'm really loving the new atrl, but I think I need some time to cope with everything.

Me when I first joined atrl teas :dies:

M A R C
22 minutes ago, DILF $ said:

I'm really loving the new atrl, but I think I need some time to cope with everything.

Just now, Era said:

Me when I first joined atrl teas :dies:

I honestly feel like a new member right now. :skull: