Charlie Puth Threatened to Pull 'SYA' From 'Furious 7' if...

97 posts in this topic

Charlie Puth Threatened to Pull 'See You Again' From 'Furious 7' If He Wasn't Included in the Music Video

Charlie-Puth-press-2017-cr-Catie-Laffoon

When Wiz Khalifa's "See You Again" music video featuring Charlie Puth dethroned PSY's "Gangham Style" as YouTube's most-watched video with nearly 3 billion views on Monday, it did so without having been a viral phenomenon, riding instead on emotional power and the influence of the Fast and Furious film franchise. But for Puth, who co-wrote the Furious 7-closing ballad with DJ Frank E and Khalifa, what's most amazing of all is that he was even featured in the video in the first place. 

"I don't know if a lot of people know this, I wasn't supposed to be in the video," Puth tells Billboard. "I wasn't supposed to be on the song; I was only supposed to be a writer on the song. I was a brand new artist, I wasn't cool enough to be part of the franchise yet, I wasn't big enough, but I proved everybody who was close-minded wrong. Everyone on my record label stuck beside me and my management.

"I'll never forget I ended up calling them from around this big conference table on the phone, and they were explaining the reasons why it was going to be sung by this artist and blah, blah blah, I'm not going to name any names, but... I said, 'That's great. Your movie comes out in a week and I'm not gonna give you the song.' And I hung up the phone and when I said that miraculously I was in the music video."

Though Puth would not state to Billboard what artist Universal Pictures had originally wanted to sing "See You Again," earlier this year he told People his vocals on the hook had originally been recorded as a reference possibly for Sam Smith. Mike Knobloch, president of film music and publishing at Universal Pictures, denies Smith was ever discussed for the track. 

"I don't hold any grudges," Puth says. "I'm actually really good friends with everybody who didn't necessarily believe in me at first, I've worked on projects with them since then and everything is all good now but, you know, I had to prove myself."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7866070/charlie-puth-see-you-again-furious-7-threatened-video

A bad bitch :alexz2: 

And that's why artists who actually create their own material have more power over their music

yes he really proved everyone wrong, didn't he :alexz2: 

'That's great. Your movie comes out in a week and I'm not gonna give you the song.' And I hung up the phone and when I said that miraculously I was in the music video."

What a power top. :heart2:

I love this closeted sassy little diva :clap3:

True diva boss 

Our faves cant relate

Did he prove anyone though? He has yet to have a solo hit :rip:

1 minute ago, Cárlo said:

yes he really proved everyone wrong, didn't he :alexz2: 

WTF LMFAO

1 minute ago, musicman101 said:

And that's why artists who actually create their own material have more power over their music

True. If he was just the singer they would have just laughed at him and kept moving :sad:

6 minutes ago, musicman101 said:

:cm:

Smart :clap3: He knows he's worth.

:ahh: i would have done the same thing

5 minutes ago, ~Start The Music said:

WTF LMFAO

"Robin" is a name of a co-host on the Howard Stern radio show. She asked him to rewrite the song in a sexual way and to include her into it. 

See, this is why context is very important and people should never form opinions based on small video fragments. And yea, she was black, and she wasn't bothered with him using "brown" or "chocolate" so why should we be bothered with that? 

7 minutes ago, ~Start The Music said:

WTF LMFAO

It's Howard Stern, chill. They always riff on Howard's co host, Robin, being sexually attractive. There's so many parody songs 

9 minutes ago, hardbrit said:

I wouldn't call Attention a flop

I bet Sam Smith was supposed to be on that song.

11 minutes ago, hardbrit said:

he had a hit (it was ''we don't talk anymore'') yes it was a duet with selena (her power !) but he was the lead artist..''attention'' is getting there to be a hit in a few weeks as well!

"i like me a man that can take control" :cm:  

It was smart of him to stand up for himself cause there's no guarantee that he would get another huge opportunity like this to introduce himself to the GP.

30 minutes ago, Grown K said:

I bet Sam Smith was supposed to be on that song.

Yeah, his voice fits really well to that song

they should have let that song go

32 minutes ago, Subversive said:

I wouldn't call Attention a flop

One Call Away was a hit too

King knows his worth :clap3: 

next POTUS perhaps? 

he's still trash tbh

16 minutes ago, Sylar said:

"Robin" is a name of a co-host on the Howard Stern radio show. She asked him to rewrite the song in a sexual way and to include her into it. 

See, this is why context is very important and people should never form opinions based on small video fragments. And yea, she was black, and she wasn't bothered with him using "brown" or "chocolate" so why should we be bothered with that? 

......:biblio: sis I wasn't even bothered I thought it was funny.

Jeez. I have no problem with Charlie and I'm quick to defend him just as the next person stop assuming things.