Disney struggles to find actors for Aladdin

253 posts in this topic

Guy Ritchie and the studio are trying to wrap up a months-long search that has included names (Riz Ahmed, Dev Patel) and complete unknowns from around the world to play the street hustler turned prince.

Disney’s magic carpet ride has hit a bit of turbulence.

The studio and Aladdin director Guy Ritchie launched a global casting call in March to find the stars for the musical based on the hit 1992 animated film about a street kid who teams with a genie to woo the princess Jasmine. Disney, Ritchie and casting director Randi Hiller brought on casting directors around the world, from London to Egypt to Abu Dhabi and India, for what sources say is a massive global search: Around 2,000 actors and actresses have read for the lead roles of Jasmine and Aladdin.

But finding a male lead in his 20s who can act and sing has proven difficult — especially since the studio wants someone of Middle-Eastern or Indian descent (the animated film is set in the fictional Middle Eastern city of Agrabah). The original casting call specified that production was slated to begin by July, but the search has dragged on, with Disney and Ritchie having to go back to the drawing board multiple times. Sources say there have been several rounds of tests in London, with the actors coming in for up to two weeks at a time. “The test process was a mess,” says one agent with a client who tested.

While the studio had interest in Dev Patel, 27, and Riz Ahmed, 34, the male lead will likely be a newcomer. Sources say the studio is eyeing Power Rangers actress Naomi Scott, 24, or Indian actress Tara Sutaria, 21, to play Jasmine, but can’t lock the deal until the male lead has been selected since chemistry is so important to the story. (Will Smith is signed on to play the Genie, and sources say the studio is after known names for the role of the villain Jafar).

SOURCE

Jade from Little Mix would be perfect Jasmine, but yeah the accent is a problem.

What about Suraj Sharma from Life of Pi?

avan jogia would be the perfect aladdin

They should have Tina Desai play Jasmine :duca:

24Tina-Desai-1.jpg

I actually like the idea of a newcomer, more diversity in the industry is always welcome!:clap3:

4 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

What about Suraj Sharma from Life of Pi?

No Indians please. I'm tired of Indians having to play Middle Eastern characters and perpetuating the stereotype of South Asians being Middle Eastern. At least a half South Asian like Avan Jogia or Zayn Malik would be better.

@MissedTheTrain Same for Tina Desai. And she's too old anyway.

ariana would be perfect. :clap3:

4 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

They should have Tina Desai play Jasmine :duca:

24Tina-Desai-1.jpg

Omg YES

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

No Indians please. I'm tired of Indians having to play Middle Eastern characters and perpetuating the stereotype of South Asians being Middle Eastern.

Agreed.

Can't they just cast an Iraqi, Jordanian or Syrian actor... like, there's thousands of them.

5 minutes ago, Ecstasy said:

Isn't Islam like the 2nd biggest religion in India tho?

And the biggest Islamic country in the world is Indonesia. Since when did Muslim = Middle Eastern and vice versa? Most Muslims are not from the Middle East. Are you trying to say Indonesia, India, China and Pakistan are in the Middle East? :rip: 

FYI Muslims make 14% of the population of India.

3 minutes ago, Inverted said:

No Indians please. I'm tired of Indians having to play Middle Eastern characters and perpetuating the stereotype of South Asians being Middle Eastern. At least a half South Asian like Avan Jogia or Zayn Malik would be better.

ZAYN?! You just lost your entire credibility. He can stay away from Aladdin.

4 minutes ago, TeeJay said:

avan jogia would be the perfect aladdin

Good one!
Can he sing and/or dance, though?

Just now, Buffy said:

ZAYN?! You just lost your entire credibility. He can stay away from Aladdin.

I was talking about looks-wise. You're the one who thinks clearly South Asian Tina Desai is more appropriate so I wouldn't talk about credibility. :rip:

At least Zayn and Avan are half South Asian so their looks are more ambiguous.

oh so they are not whitewashing this !!! that's amazing... and I had my hopes high Jade was gonna be Jasmine !! 

8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Tea. The first song is called Arabian Nights.

DEZDWcHUAAA9FZ6.jpg

I want Zayn to do it but I bet he's a terrible actor 

I like Jade but I don't get where people are saying she looks like Jasmine. I think Emeraude Toubia could look a lot like Jasmine but she's Latina. :dancehall: 

Hello!? Avan Jogia!?

He was born to play that role!

avan-jogia-2013-teen-choice-awards-01.jp

Movie's already cancelled if the Tom Hardy as Jafar casting materializes

Just now, freakum. said:

I like Jade but I don't get where people are saying she looks like Jasmine. I think Emeraude Toubia could look a lot like Jasmine but she's Latina. :dancehall: 

Emeraude Toubia is half Lebanese. That's an Arabic name.

1 minute ago, OpenBacardi said:

Not with all those tattoos :rip: 

2 minutes ago, OpenBacardi said:

Same, Avan would obviously be really good as well. These are just edits but he looks perfect for it.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg 

tumblr_inline_nezf2v2ouy1qbpwvz.jpg 

2 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Emeraude Toubia is half Lebanese. That's an Arabic name.

People might still make a fuss since she has Mexican in her, I still think she would be perfect but she does look a bit older than I picture Jasmine would.

Give her the role :jonny: 

jadethirlwallcapitalball_0.jpg?itok=pRegcAPX