UK chart rule change - only 3 album tracks can chart

Hector

Thoughts? At least the chart won't be peddled with Bieber, Ed, and Drake songs anymore. :clap3: 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fruity

• Communion

• Thickorita

• doonerr

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid rule. 

• ATRL Moderator

they are bogging down the charts with all of these rules :hoetenks: just count video streams ffs

Just now, Lemon Drops said:

Stupid rule. 

I know it's not ideal but we don't want an all Ed Sheeran top 10 every time he releases an album.

That's stupid for me tho. A chart should be a scale on how popular the songs are. If the album tracks are popular, they should be on the chart.

Somebody's going to release their new album as a bunch of singles at the same time, I swear it.

Kind of a mess of a rule.

Would have been good to have before it ruined CTTR's chart run in the UK but it's kind of messy. If those tracks are more popular than some people's singles, I don't know why they shouldn't be able to chart.

1 minute ago, Fruity said:

I know it's not ideal but we don't want an all Ed Sheeran top 10 every time he releases an album.

True. I just hope it's a temporary fix for a larger problem they are working on behind the scenes.

2 minutes ago, lhdang2000 said:

That's stupid for me tho. A chart should be a scale on how popular the songs are. If the album tracks are popular, they should be on the chart.

You could argue that they arent popular of their own right. The ALBUM is popular and its release causes album tracks to chart high.

Edited by Fruity

UK is so extra. :rip: .It'd make more sense to only allow singles to chart, then just the 3 biggest songs from an album. 

As for Purpose when What Do You Mean/Sorry/Love Yourself held the entire top 3, that literally means if he released a new single from the album it couldn't chart for months on end til they left the top 10.

that's such a stupid rule lol

3 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

Somebody's going to release their new album as a bunch of singles at the same time, I swear it.

If I was an artist in the UK I would do that. :eatpopcorn:

Edited by trainsskyscrapers

Amazing news :clap3:

So sick of the 'singles' chart being flooded with album tracks

that's not fair. It's supposed to be a popularity chart, not a "let's make all flops chart" ranking

3 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

If I was an artist in the UK I would do that. :eatpopcorn:

Calvin Harris has claimed he would do that for years now but it hasn't happened. As expected his normal format album comes out next week :toofunny2: 

That rule doesn't make any sense. If 10 album tracks are popular enough to chart, they all deserve to chart :skull: 

This is even worst than the Billboard recurrent rule :rip: 

I don't get it . only 3 songs are allowed from an album at the same time ? Or in general ?

Like if the artist releases a 4th single it wont chart ?

And for example now Little Mix they have Shout out , Touch , No more sad songs and Power charting

What are they gonna do ? remove one of the three ? and which one ?

And if they release another single it wont chart until there are only 2 charting ? Or the lowest one will be automatically removed ?

Stupid rule imo... If all the songs are being successful, then they should all be able to chart...

10 minutes ago, Yndda said:

they are bogging down the charts with all of these rules :hoetenks:just count video streams ffs

Exactly...

1 minute ago, Starkboy said:

that's not fair. It's supposed to be a popularity chart, not a "let's make all flops chart" ranking

Artists like Olly Murs probably complained to the UK Charts that they can't even score top 10 hits anymore because of streaming so they are probably doing this to give them a small chance to score a top 10 hit :skull: 

3 minutes ago, shark_heather said:

I don't get it . only 3 songs are allowed from an album at the same time ? Or in general ?

Like if the artist releases a 4th single it wont chart ?

And for example now Little Mix they have Shout out , Touch , No more sad songs and Power charting

What are they gonna do ? remove one of the three ? and which one ?

And if they release another single it wont chart until there are only 2 charting ? Or the lowest one will be automatically removed ?

I imagine if there are 4 (or more) songs charting from one album in any given week, all but the top 3 will be removed.

Edited by Fruity

they should add youtube views and radio airplay to separate the actual singles from the album tracks and end of story

Sorry but this is not what we want

"Supermarket flowers" should not be a top 10 hit in the UK

People were listening to the album as a whole, not that song as a single entity

_95027925_capture.jpg 

This is a mess. The charts are supposed to reflect what the GP is buying and streaming and what is popular. If that happens to be all the songs on an artist's album then that's just how it is and they have to deal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.