Lorde overperforms w/110k+; lands her first #1 album

Duca

Congrats to ella :1stplace:, Amazing Album

OT: If Lorde got her first number one, than it should be no problem for sam smith to get his... 

Edited by Yog

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wonderland

• QueenofCopyPaste

• sadnews

• Mariano

Just now, Coklek92 said:

Who's her peers? Meghan Trainor? 

I guess when I meant peers, I meant people her age. Like her debut came out when I was in college and everyone could not stop talking and listening about how good her album is. I'm just shocked that the buying power wasn't stronger with Taylor's influence and the 18-24 crowd.

3 minutes ago, Yog said:

Congrats to ella :1stplace:, Amazing Album

OT: If Lorde got her first number one, than it should be no problem for sam smith to get his... 

For God sake when will your fave release her second LP :jonny3:

Just now, Coklek92 said:

For God sake when will your fave release her second LP :jonny3:

Rumor Has It :-* Sam Second album might come out around September with his lead single coming next month.

1 minute ago, Yog said:

Rumor Has It :-* Sam Second album might come out around September with his lead single coming next month.

Lorde will overshadow her on next year Grammy :-*

Low but expected.

22 minutes ago, BreatheMoi said:

I love how positive it is in here compared to how much Katy gets dragged for doing 200k :deadbanana3:

Lorde released one single that was not even radio friendly and did some promo. Also like 3 other non-singles. Releases her album and gets rave reviews after having her debut album like 3 or 4 years ago, which is a huge break for a pop act with one album only.

Katy released 1 hugely promoted comeback single with a hugely promoted Spotify deal, with a hugely expensive music video, tried and released a 2nd one with another expensive music video as well but failed. Then her record company gave up on it and quickly released a 3rd single that are now promoting as the 2nd one. All 3 singles have feat. acts to try and maximize their commercial appeal, including Nicki Minaj and Migos. She has been promoting this release like hell, has announced a new tour, bundled her new album with her tickets and will get 100k more than Lorde which doesn't even do music too appealing to the masses. Her album comes out and it's...arguably not good.

I guess it's understandable how people are so different to react to both these acts.

Edited by tiagol88

24 minutes ago, phreshprince said:

The double standards in here are crazy. Lorde is in the squad and Taylor's BFF . She should be doing 115k minimum with that exposure alone. Her debut album was HUGE amongst her peers.

Being friends with Taylor doesn't secure good sales though. Camila Cabello is on that squad and CITC is bombing even with promo and the HAIM sisters are super close to Taylor and their debut album hasn't reached 200k copies sold in the US. 

:clap3:

Debuting with 70,000 ? :chick2: :deadbanana:

She will be 1 so that's good but... these numbers are really low

Not bad but I was hoping she would do 100k SPS. This masterpiece deserves better.

good job :clap3:

also you guys need shut up with all the "bUT ThE SaLES CLiMatE" mess

Good for Lorde.

Sales are in the tank for everybody.

I'm really curious what my fave band Tool will do next time they release an album. They don't do streaming. They don't do digital. Last album came out in 2006 and did 550k first week. It's been 11 years. haha. That will be an interesting test case when that comes out in how many more years. haha.

Also, of course Curious what Eminem will do. Be he has Digital and Streaming so i don't think he'll take much hit from his 2013 release.

Edited by slicknickshady

11 minutes ago, ThisCharmingMan said:

Being friends with Taylor doesn't secure good sales though. Camila Cabello is on that squad and CITC is bombing even with promo and the HAIM sisters are super close to Taylor and their debut album hasn't reached 200k copies sold in the US. 

ehhhhhh Taylor hasn't been active

All Lorde cares about is critic acclaim right now. Label might think differently, lol. But as far as this goes for Lorde it's a success. The Sophomore album is a bitch to write.  And it's gotten acclaim. For all three singles flopping like they have so far. I think the numbers are great for not having a hit.

Very good numbers considering 0 hype, 0 public interest, bombing lead single...etc.

2 hours ago, slicknickshady said:

All Lorde cares about is critic acclaim right now. Label might think differently, lol. But as far as this goes for Lorde it's a success. The Sophomore album is a bitch to write.  And it's gotten acclaim. For all three singles flopping like they have so far. I think the numbers are great for not having a hit.

if by acclaim, you mean she cares about making quality work she feels passionate about, i agree. 

her music is made for herself and her fans, who appear to love it. 

Edited by fridayteenage

23 minutes ago, freddisier said:

:( this is lower than Halsey :( I Guess Closer really did help her

Closer didn't really help her. hopeless fountain kingdom debuted with 106k, while BADLANDS did 97k first week– so they both did about as well in their first frames. But HFK should have better longevity because it has a hit single.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.