Girls Trip | 88% RT, Box Office Hit

36 posts in this topic

Kim Kardashian

I was surprised to find no thread for this, it looks amazing.

Looks like it will be one of my fave movies ever.

Tiffany Haddish seems hilarious, i'd never heard of her before this.

stophittingmedad

yesss its gonna be dumb and trash but going to opening night at a full theater that serves drinks! gonna be fun!

stophittingmedad

yesss its gonna be dumb and trash but going to opening night at a full theater that serves drinks! gonna be fun!

Wicked

It's being acclaimed :rip:

I was gonna see it anyway though, but I figured it'd be like Baggage Claim. Kofi's filmography is filling out nicely already. 

Αnt

Wow, at this being acclaimed. Thank god. Hopefully it'll help this do well in the box office since the comedy films being released this year are all flopping.

Kevin2803

Looks like a funnier version of Rough Night.

Kim Kardashian
19 hours ago, Shawn said:

Starts off at 100% on RT with 6 reviews. :gaycat3:

I can tell by the trailer that this praise is deserved, it looks ****ing hilarious.

Not long til this is out now :duca:

Been waiting for so long it feels.

Hooligan

I'm hoping this gets a $15M debut; movie looks hilarious.  I even wanna see it with it being geared almost exclusively toward women.

:alexz:

ALA

100%, 8.0 average :rip: 10 reviews only but still.

well kudos if it's actually funny, I've seen the trailer so many times in theaters.

theycallmemaraj
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, phreshprince said:

I cringed when they showed this trailer...PASS

same, looks bad

Kim Kardashian

Tina Lawson & Kelly Rowland were at the premiere, Lizzo too.

I hope this smashes :duca:

mermaid_ariel

‘Girls Trip’ shows — yet again– that movies starring black women can crush at the box office

wk-girls0721-7.jpg&w=1484

It was a weekend of movies surpassing expectations.

Two non-franchise, non-superhero movies topped the box office for the first time this summer, beating “War for the Planet of the Apes” and “Spider-Man: Homecoming.”

Christopher Nolan’s gritty World War II drama “Dunkirk” opened this weekend and ranks first at the box office, earning an estimated $50.5 million. And coming in second? Perhaps this summer’s biggest live-action comedy hit, Universal’s raunch-com “Girls Trip,” which earned an estimated $30.8 million.

The R-rated comedy from director Malcolm D. Lee features friends heading to the Essence Festival and stars four black women: Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah and Tiffany Haddish.

The movie’s success comes as debates about diversity in Hollywood continue to gain steam. And the past couple of years have shown that although Hollywood traditionally undervalues movies with black and female leads, it is only to their peril. “Hidden Figures” was a box-office hit and the top-grossing movie among all the 2017 Oscar best-picture nominees.

“I have been told my entire career ‘Black women can’t open films domestically or internationally.’ Well anything is possible,” star Taraji P. Henson wrote on Instagram after the movie’s opening weekend, when it took the No. 1 spot at the box office. “Most importantly this proves that PEOPLE LIKE GOOD MATERIAL. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GENDER OR RACE. Agreed?!”

[A movie about three black female mathematicians is beating Affleck and Scorsese at the box office

“Girls Trip” couldn’t be more different from “Hidden Figures,” which is based on a true story about three NASA scientists. But Lee’s feature has certainly struck a chord, and comes on the heels of underperforming live-action comedies such as “Rough Night,” “Snatched” and “Baywatch.”

By contrast, “Girls Trip” is receiving glowing reviews from critics (it has an 89 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), and audiences are really into it; the movie has an A-plus rating on CinemaScore.

“Black women can open a movie and it does not have to be about the space program, okay?” Lee, alluding to “Hidden Figures,” told the Hollywood Reporter. “Black Girl Magic is real — people want a piece of it, they want to see it, they want to be empowered by it.”

--

The trailer really didn't do it justice. It was really funny! Tiffany Haddish is naturally funny I hope this really kicks her career off.

#blackgirlmagic

tumblr_otixt7sjQF1wvvfxqo3_400.gif

stophittingmedad
On 7/14/2017 at 3:25 AM, theycallmemaraj said:

same, looks bad

no u should see it. ive seen it in theaters twice lol

ALA

It's a fun movie, I definitely laughed at several scenes. Tiffany Haddish is so funny.

Tsareena

Tiffany carried the movie for me. laughing non-stop every time she spoke

Kim Kardashian

Going to see this on Friday :duca:

With my mum though, so i'm a little worried about the male nudity just being awkward :skull:

@Tsareena How much nudity exactly was there?

aaronsmithjune1

30.8M is great. I thought it would struggle tbh.