Who will be the 4th black female artist to win the Grammy for AOTY?

Green

Who will be the 4th black female artist to win the Grammy for AOTY?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the 4th black female artist to win the Grammy for AOTY?

• Beyoncé
    • Rihanna
    • SZA
    • Lizzo
    • Doja Cat
    • H.E.R.
    • Samara Joy
    • Jhené Aiko
    • Other

1 hour ago, Starshine said:

3 black women out of 65 years is kinda crazy…:rip: It wasn’t clicking until I realized Taylor has that. :deadbanana:

Yet they’ll say The Grammys aren’t racist and that we should be grateful for the ones that we do get. 🙃

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Green

• Armani?

• Distantconstellation

• X~MoviePoP

Top Posters In This Topic

SZA's album more than deserve it. It has absolutely everything. It's critically acclaimed, extremely successful, and SZA is marketed as a songwriter. She has everything going for her for next year's Grammys. 

Obviously, there are still many months of eligibility though. I guess we'll have to see what 2023 has in store for us. 

SZA should take it with SOS. That album has been succesful in every front, it deserves it. That question is so weird, Grammys are racists AF. 

HER

It will be Sza, I don't think beyonce is ever getting an album of the year win, just like she's never going to win an Oscar, outside of the music categories and even that is unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Materialboy215 said:

Yet they’ll say The Grammys aren’t racist and that we should be grateful for the ones that we do get. 🙃

it WAS racist, recently there are blacks getting big 4 awards.

The Grammys only award AOTY to singer-songwriter artists who dont have an extensive co-writer and producers list. So the next black woman to win AOTY would have to fullfill that role

I guess it’s Lizzo, whose pop appeal and “safe” image gives her an automatic advantage given the biases of the general field. But yeah, she needs a whole album / era to smash, not just one hit. 

If not her, then probably someone seen as a “real artist” (songwriter and instrumentalist) like Brittany Howard, HER, Janelle Monae, or Yola. 

I know some will say that Jon Batiste’s win shows that some random person can win, but he’s actually an extremely well-connected person in the industry. I think HER is probably the only black woman who can match that. 

It’ll be someone who can write their own songs or play an instrument. SZA or Lizzo possibly since the former writes and the latter plays flute, but if H.E.R. has a smash era, definitely her.

Jasmine Sullivan but of the list SZA has high chances next year :WAP:

Edited by Julia Fox

7 hours ago, Machete said:

Y’all naming SZA and her urban af album :deadbanana4:

I’ve always said the Grammys aren’t racist, but “urban-ist”. They hate urban-leaning music, which of course stems from racist micro aggressions, but not black artists in general. Lizzo won ROTY this year with an extremely safe basic pop song. Bey’s only GF win and closest she’s been to AOTY was during IASF era.

That being said, out of current artists out there it is Lizzo if she can ever get a smash album (something that isn’t local to one hit).

This. It'll be H.E.R., Lizzo or a black jazz singer.  It has to be something aligned with white tastes. Natalie Cole (Jazz) ; Lauryn Hlil (Folk/Reggae) 

7 hours ago, elincomprendid said:

As of now it seems really soon to tell mostly cause there are no albums out lol, but out of these names I could easily see Lizzo winning if she evers gets a properly big era as she is the black female artist with the most clear pop voters appeal which clearly helped this year for ROTY. One could say Doja has that too but for some reason as of now at least I don't see the academy liking Doja THAT much although it might surprise me.

I wouldn't say SOS doesn't have a chance but I don't feel SZA will have enough pop support

She did get 14 noms in 3 years.  That seems like a lot, no? lol.

And ROTY noms three years in a row.  

Kinda shocked she got nominated at all this year.  Mostly based on “Woman” which was relatively weak track, tbqh.  

I think she’s gonna have to be a bit more daring on DC4 though. 

She also needs to work on her “celebrity,” she’s not really one to campaign for awards.  So that would work against her too.  

4 hours ago, kandicha said:

It’ll be someone who can write their own songs or play an instrument. SZA or Lizzo possibly since the former writes and the latter plays flute, but if H.E.R. has a smash era, definitely her.

She's supposed to be releasing this year so SZA & H.E.R will be competing against each other in next year's categories unless  she releases late fall or winter:rip:

I have a feeling it's gonna SZA if the backlash this year is severe enough that the Recording Academy will award a Black Woman next year. Though I hope she doesn't for the simple fact I can see the Swifties throwing hissy fits and racist comments towards her.

Not Beyonce with excessive pr forcing them to give it to her. Won’t happen unless they chill with that. I Can see sza and Rihanna 

Of current acts. Lizzo & H.E.R are the most realistic ones 

They’re “true artists” write, play instruments, respected, (Lizzo mainly) have hit songs

Bey would have to have an album that is a commercial juggernaut, acclaimed, and created with like 2 other writers max

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.