Britney's ''...Baby One More Time'' Is The Greatest Debut Single of All Time. Why?

Henry Torres

Imagine debuting with this song :jonny5:  Such a timeless classic :clap3:

Rolling Stone spilled insanely hard here. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/greatest-debut-songs-singles-990470/replacements-im-in-trouble-if-only-you-were-lonely-993737/

#1 belongs to the legendary Miss Britney Spears, not surprised :clap3:

Edited by Henry Torres

I can't imagine what it must've been like to be just a new, 16 years old freshly signed recording artist... And you get to record this for your first single. Maybe they didn't know how iconic it would be... But still, can you imagine that? :jonny3:

Just now, Miss Show Business said:

I can't imagine what it must've been like to be just a new, 16 years old freshly signed recording artist... And you get to record this for your first single. Maybe they didn't know how iconic it would be... But still, can you imagine that? :jonny3:

There's this docuseries on netflix about the music industry, and they touch on this on the swedish production episode :jonnycat:

They knew it would do well, but top 40 kind of well, not #1 and super stardom kind of well. :gaycat6:

3 minutes ago, Trash said:

There's this docuseries on netflix about the music industry, and they touch on this on the swedish production episode :jonnycat:

They knew it would do well, but top 40 kind of well, not #1 and super stardom kind of well. :gaycat6:

What’s it called? I’d love to watch if I haven’t already.

Also—it is an iconic debut single, so maybe you spilled here (?) :giraffe:

Just now, Brikenbur said:

What’s it called? I’d love to watch if I haven’t already.

Also—it is an iconic debut single, so maybe you spilled here (?) :giraffe:

The Docuseries is called This is Pop, the episode is called stockholm syndrome

10 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

I know right :jonny5:

And the way Britney made it even more iconic w/ her idea for the music video, the school girl outfit etc :jonny5:

People probably thought she'd be a one hit wonder and BAM! It was just the beginning of one of the most iconic careers in music history and the amount of hits she got after that :jonny5:

The way her family was poor and she had no connections to people from the music industry.

Insanely impressive :clap3:

Edited by Henry Torres

Max Martin was actually trying to write an R&B record for TLC :rip:

He'd flirted with the idea a couple years earlier with Robyn, who considered herself Sweden's answer to R&B teen Queens like Brandy, Monica and Aaliyah. However his productions with her basically came to birth that era of Millennial teen-pop.

Ironically, Backstreet Boys were also fashioned after Boyz II Men and Shai, R&B vocal groups of the early 90's.

It wasn't until looking into that when I realized that Swedish producers like Max Martin were actually trying to replicate the R&B music and artists of the era but with their own Swedish twists and in the process birthed teen-pop.

Regardless, glad Britney got it, and the world was never the same :clap3:

She literally changed the scene of pop with her debut single. All of a sudden, the rage was all about the Britney clones (Mandy Moore, Jessica, 1999-2000 Xtina), a large space was created for solo pop artists amongst the cesspool of boy and girl bands, introduced Max Martin to the pop stage, made teen-pop a greater force to reckon with, the popstar prototype was completely shifted, and the song become one of the biggest pop songs of all time.

It's crazy to think that in a few places like the UK, the song is still the biggest pop song since 1999. This insertion may be off topic but after such songs, it is really hard to replicate that success and can even make an artist look like a one-hit wonder. Yet, Britney managed to do it not just once but three or even four times :clap3: Herstory was created with this song. 

I think Britney knew what she was doing with this one. And she was only 16. :-*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.