Ava Max: "Sweet but Psycho paved the way for pop music again"

Alex

“No one knows this but I had a mental breakdown,” she says now, almost five years later. She got down on her knees and started praying, even though she’s not religious. “I’m like, ‘God, please, if you’re listening. I need to pay for my gas. My parents, I want to buy them a house. I just want to help the people I love and I want to perform on big stages and I want to have fans and I want people to relate to my music.’ I was yelling this at the top of my lungs,” she recalls “I said, ‘If “Sweet but Psycho” does nothing, I’m done.’”

Max remembers that she started to cry, but she quickly got up, wiped her face, and told herself, “Oh my god, *****. Get yourself together.” 

Luckily, the universe listened to her prayers: “Sweet But Psycho” became a force. Spotify added the track to their New Music Friday playlist – the only pop song featured that week, she says. “Isn’t that crazy?” Before she knew it, it had racked up 1.4 billion streams. The song’s sticky melody was a stark contrast to popular chart-toppers at the time, which included Drake’s “In My Feelings,” Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode,” and Ella Mai’s “Boo’d Up.” Many artists were veering into R&B, but Max wanted to double down on upbeat, pure pop. “‘Sweet but Psycho’ kind of paved the way for pop music again,” she says. 

Ava-Max-03.jpg?w=1581&h=1054&crop=1

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ava-max-interview-diamonds-dancefloors-heartbreak-1234666692/

Edited by dangerousalex

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enrique523

• HEAVYONIT

• gloamingtheplain

• blackoutbritney

She spilled :cm:

Edited by Psycho

There are some points she has made.

I dont think shes wrong. The song may be bigger than she is but it was the first big pop hit in a while

she hasn’t said a single lie :clap3:

i believe ha. :clap3: In a world of trap pop from Cardi B, Ariana Grande, and Halsey, Ava dared to go where no other pop girl would.

• ATRL Moderator

She’s right and she should say it

:bibliahh:people just missed a Gaga throwback thats all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.