New York Times runs article saying schools should out LGBT kids to parents

Communion

Edited by Communion

who thought that would be a good idea when sh*t like this is the reason most of homeless youth is LGBT, disgusting they would even try to perpetuate these ideas 

The NY Times is not saying that tho. They are sharing opinions from both sides. 

Edited by getBusy

Just now, getBusy said:

I the NY Times is not saying that tho. They are sharing opinions from both sides. 

This is sadly objectively false and a poor sign of media literacy on your end.

The people centered in this article are transphobic parents who the authors then go on to defend by downplaying their transphobia. It is a journalistic duty to be able to separate fact from fiction, truth from emotion. Not every point of view is deserving of being reported on as equally rooted in truth.

Question: what would schools who want to out their students do if the parents react negatively to their child's sexuality or gender? I never see that side of the story.

Regardless, this should never been done. Outing kids to their parents is never and will never be a good idea and can lead to so much harm.

The article:

When Students Change Gender Identity, and Parents Don’t Know

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/22/us/gender-identity-students-parents.html

The NYT did not say the schools should out LGBT kids to parents. The NYT reported that conservatives, Republicans, and self-described "liberals" with anti-trans views are the ones who are pushing for schools to out trans kids to parents.

Newspapers reports on events, including negative events, so that readers can understand them. Obviously, reporting on an event is not the same thing as endorsing it.

Edited by Stimulus

1 hour ago, getBusy said:

The NY Times is not saying that tho. They are sharing opinions from both sides. 

there's no point in playing both sides when one side is actively 

attempting to endanger and scapegoat people 

it would be one thing if they were operating in good faith but they are

not and the NYT has been hiding behind "objectivity" when all they're 

doing is platforming really dangerous groups, people and ideas 

EVERYONE at the NYT and anyone who thinks this way should die a slow, agonizing and painful DEATH! And I don’t CARE if I get a WP for saying this. 

Putting these innocent children’s lives and living situations at risk—who are JUST beginning to figure themselves out—is immoral and unethical behavior 

2 hours ago, Communion said:

This is sadly objectively false and a poor sign of media literacy on your end.

How is it “objectively false” when there are quotes from trans students affected by this issues? 

”The student, now 16, told The New York Times that his school had provided him with a space to be himself that he otherwise lacked. (…) “Schools are just trying to do what’s best to keep students safe.”

Clementine Morales, a 19-year-old who first came out as nonbinary at school because it felt impossible to do so at home. “I had to look for parental figures in other people who were not my parents,”

Todd Gazda, who at the time was a Massachusetts superintendent (…) “For many of our students, school is their only safe place”

And to be clear, I support these kids and I don’t think school should tell their parents anything. 

4 hours ago, Stimulus said:

Obviously, reporting on an event is not the same thing as endorsing it.

Framing a view that is riddled in bigotry as logical or rational by giving it a voice is an endorsement of it. 

If the NY Times wasn't taking a side in this debate, why isn't the article framed as: "Conservative Parents Demand Schools Out their Children to Them"? 

The title alone is inaccurate, as it frames it that these poor, innocent parents had no clue what their children were doing, but then the article itself reveals that the children *tried* multiple times to come out to their parents, who did not take it well. Why allow conservative parents - who we know are conservative because their lawsuits are funded by conservative legal groups - the room to describe themselves as "liberal" without pushing back on the reality that such is simply not true?

The author has picked a side when they frame trans people as "detractors" to these conservative groups.

• 4 weeks later...

NYT literally supports a terroristic apartheid, thus making it a terrorist organization :gaycat3:

so not very surprised 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.