Going on vacation alone

ConceptD

Okay, so over the last year or so I have suffered immensely with my mental health and just finding my place in life in general. I’m planning on taking a solo trip to either a Greek island (Mykonos/Crete) or somewhere in Spain (maybe like Benidorm) to clear my head? 

Is this safe for a solo gay traveller? Is it weird and am I going to look odd being alone? I have friends that would go, but honestly feel like I’d rather just do it alone. Does anyone have any experience with this? I’ve literally never known a single person to go on vacation alone. 

5 minutes ago, magazine said:

I would never go alone :mazen:

Is it an anxiety thing tho? I don’t really have any of that. I can make friends anywhere and I’m looking for my eat pray love moment. I’ve wasted so much of my life on people I feel like i need  to live for me (bit drunk bb ignore typos) 

I would avoid Benidorm unless you want to be surrounded by British chavs. If you’re someone who is happy with your own company and just want to appreciate natural beauty and good food then a solo trip could be good for your mental health. Most people won’t be solo but it’s not abnormal. If you stay in a hostel, you will probably meet other solo travellers. Europe is generally safe for gay travellers.

People travel alone all the time, id have anxiety shdidkdk but people in touristy places are generally friendly and looking to meet others so should be fine

All of the places you listed are extremely safe.  I vacation by myself a lot, I actually prefer it for the most part over vacationing with my partner or family :rip:.  There is nothing quite like being only with yourself, no work to do, no priorities or objectives to fill, and you can just wander and walk around with plenty of time to think and breathe.  It’s the best type of clarity. 

I am lowkey thinking of going to the Uk alone to check out bathhouses…I can’t exactly do that with my straight girl friends tagging along so I say go for it tbh

I’m going on a solo 2 week trip in a couple of weeks! I’m hella nervous but also excited. I’ve lived and travelled abroad before for a 5 month period and it was the happiest time of my life. Granted that was 4 years ago and now I’m nervous again but I know it’ll be amazing! I’m an introvert and have major anxiety but I know once I get there, all of that will go away. 

As others mentioned, I actually prefer solo travelling. It’s so much more easy and fun and less stress. Granted, there will be times you’d wish you had someone with you to share a moment together, etc., but after travelling with people before, I know I’d much rather be alone lol. Go for it, sis! Life is short and life has been hell as of lately. If you do it and realize you don’t like it, who cares?! You know for next time, but there’s also a chance you fall in love with it. :heart:

Edited by Richmond

10 hours ago, ConceptD said:

Okay, so over the last year or so I have suffered immensely with my mental health and just finding my place in life in general. I’m planning on taking a solo trip to either a Greek island (Mykonos/Crete) or somewhere in Spain (maybe like Benidorm) to clear my head? 

Is this safe for a solo gay traveller? Is it weird and am I going to look odd being alone? I have friends that would go, but honestly feel like I’d rather just do it alone. Does anyone have any experience with this? I’ve literally never known a single person to go on vacation alone. 

Girl why don’t you go with a travel group, like through EF Ultimate Break or something? A whole trip by yourself sounds incredibly lonely, and you’re not always guaranteed to meet people. 

I’ve been to many big cities by myself and I’m planning solo travel to Europe soon. It’s a little awkward at first but you get used to it and it’s nice to do things yourself on your own time. 

I also realized that people don’t travel because they’re waiting on their friends or family and life doesn’t wait. I wouldn’t have experienced anything yet if I was still waiting for people to save money or take time off, etc. 

Let the country be your entertainment, not other people

Edited by Istan4R
Edit

I've been on solo trips quite a few times and I honestly couldn't recommend it enough. If you need time for yourself it's the best thing so I'd say do it. 

Go for it! Just be knowledgeable of the area you sleep in, read about local attractions and any kinda hotspots you'd like to go to. Just clear your head and come with a good mindset. Traveling alone is fun and relaxing 

Those two cities are pretty touristy so while its a vacation it doesn't feel like it or being alone.

Now going vacation to a remote secluded island would be weird but hey its your money, why care what others think. You're not going to "clear your head" because its odd?

Traveling solo is great, highly recommended. 

But girl why Benidorm?! There’s nothing going on in Benidorm. 

I have traveled alone and will probably do it again sometime soon.  You can get lonely sometimes, but it makes you appreciate things.  

When I travel in Europe I try to stay at hostels and generally can meet someone if I want to have some company.  

Never understood those who need to have someone with them just to do something. I love my own company and having the freedom to decide everything, so I highly recommend traveling alone.

honestly it's the best thing you can do :heart:

Plenty of people travel alone, do you know anyone outside your country that lives in a place you want to visit? I have a lot of friends abroad and generally I’ll just book an airb&b in the city for myself, be in that place for a couple of days and meet my friends for some of them 

That way you have alone time and you can feed your social needs

However traveling completely alone is also more than fine, maybe you can book hostels to get to know people

I think you’ll really enjoy your trip if you go solo. You’ll be on your own schedule and you can do whatever you want. 

Tbh I wish I had travelled solo more before I met my bf. I went on a few solo trips but not nearly as many as I would have liked. 

i LOVE solo trips. it won't be weird at all. enjoy!

I loved traveling alone, helped me grow a lot and I met great people who I made connections for life with! Do it! 

• 1 month later...

People travel alone all the time. If you’re worried you’ll get bored or want to do something with people, stay in a hostel and make friends there. You’ll have a great time. 

On 1/20/2023 at 10:10 PM, Richmond said:

I’m going on a solo 2 week trip in a couple of weeks! I’m hella nervous but also excited. I’ve lived and travelled abroad before for a 5 month period and it was the happiest time of my life. Granted that was 4 years ago and now I’m nervous again but I know it’ll be amazing! I’m an introvert and have major anxiety but I know once I get there, all of that will go away. 

As others mentioned, I actually prefer solo travelling. It’s so much more easy and fun and less stress. Granted, there will be times you’d wish you had someone with you to share a moment together, etc., but after travelling with people before, I know I’d much rather be alone lol. Go for it, sis! Life is short and life has been hell as of lately. If you do it and realize you don’t like it, who cares?! You know for next time, but there’s also a chance you fall in love with it. :heart:

I just came back from it and it was the most amazing experience! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.