Flowers hits 200M on Spotify - fastest song ever

josesuxx

Some of these cases:

Aretha - from 1983’s Get it Right (200k copies sold) to Whos Zoomin Who (her first platinum album, a #1 hit and two other top 20s)

Tina - from 1979’s Love Explosion (failed to chart, no hits and out of print) to 1984’s Private Dancer (5x Platinum, a #1 smash and three other hits)

Bruce - from 1982’s Nebraska (Platinum underperformance after a 5x platinum album) to 1984’s Born in the USA (17x Platinum, maybe the biggest repeak ever)

Tracy Chapman - from 1992’s Matter of the Heart (Gold, charted out of the top 50, no hits) to 1995’s New Beginning (5x Platinum, contained one of the biggest hits of the 90s)

Mariah - from Charmbracelet (platinum, a slow recovery from Glitter) to Mimi (7x Platinum, with the biggest hit from the 2000s) 

Cher - after a sequence of flops for her, her 1987 self-titled album went gold and brought her name back to music and then her 1989’s Heart of Stone (3x Platinum) smashed and became her biggest era til that date.

none of these people bought their success back. they just got it right with the GP

Edited by liquiddiamonds

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walk_Away21

• josesuxx

• TanjiroKamado

• CottageHore

3 hours ago, StarsAllAligned said:

I told y’all she was having a repeak:jonny5: 

I actually think if Demi was handled properly by her label , manager and publicist, she would have few repeaks as well. I think it's too late now but you never know. Look at Miley.. She was flopping harder than Demi for the last 7 years and now she's smashing out of nowhere because of good marketing and promo. Everything is possible in the industry for these big household names. They only need a good label and have a good exposure and PR. 

3 hours ago, PopFan1996 said:

I actually think if Demi was handled properly by her label , manager and publicist, she would have few repeaks as well. I think it's too late now but you never know. Look at Miley.. She was flopping harder than Demi for the last 7 years and now she's smashing out of nowhere because of good marketing and promo. Everything is possible in the industry for these big household names. They only need a good label and have a good exposure and PR. 

Demi will never make a comeback cause she is despised by the public and deservedly so. She’s insufferable to the point that no matter what she does no one will be here for it. 

3 hours ago, PopFan1996 said:

Miley never flopped harder than demi :bibliahh:

Demi did had a better comercial performance while on the TMYLM era but that was IT. Miley still had NBLAH and MS dad did great worldwide wise

I must say that this deserves all that it gets! It is very raw, organic, honest and self-esteem song! Can I add how organic and natural the video is... Add the viral part and bingo...

9 hours ago, rcksluke said:

Miley never flopped harder than demi :bibliahh:

Yes she factually did. Confident did better than that Miley’s 2015 album. TMYLM era outsold Younger Now era. 2018 Demi had Solo as a huge HIT.. it all went downhill when the OD happened 

9 hours ago, JanStan said:

Demi will never make a comeback cause she is despised by the public and deservedly so. She’s insufferable to the point that no matter what she does no one will be here for it. 

And the same goes to Miley after 2013. The girl was literally p-ooping and pee-ing in public and doing weird stuff:skull: and she was despised by the public way more than Demi.

So my point still stands: A good publicist, a good marketing team and a good label can make anything happen for these big celebrities.

14 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

She has cross-generational appeal for different projects and has successfully been embraced by audiences after a long sequence of right choices post-She’s Coming EP.

This. This is so important and a large part of why the song is seeing so much success. Miley has retained the young millennial demographic who look back on Hannah Montana with nostalgia, she’s clearly appealing to Gen-Z and she’s also earned a lot of goodwill and respect from non-pop music followers through her covers and rock influences. She’s built on her reputation heavily over the past few years, even when she wasn’t hitting mainstream success to these levels.

When you find a way of appealing to almost every generation and every genre and then release a good, relatable song… the success is inevitable. The big difference between this and the Bangerz era success is that this feels more authentic and relatable to more people, whereas a lot of the Bangerz hysteria was around controversy and shock tactics. 

21 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

Yes she factually did. Confident did better than that Miley’s 2015 album. TMYLM era outsold Younger Now era. 2018 Demi had Solo as a huge HIT.. it all went downhill when the OD happened 

Dead Petz was leterally a FREE soundcloud album. Are u really comparing that to confident? 💀

10 hours ago, JanStan said:

A couple of bitter aging gays on a music forum doesn't equal the public that's already been established. Demi can absolutely smash if she releases a good song and has the backing of a good music label like Columbia. All of you are out of touch with reality and the general public constantly proves that 

Edited by Distantconstellation

1 minute ago, Distantconstellation said:

A couple of bitter aging gays on a music forum doesn't equal the public that's already been established. Demi can absolutely smash if she releases a good song and has the backing of a good music like Columbia. All of you are out of touch with reality and the general public constantly proves that 

Clear them out for me:clap3:

OT: I am so happy for Miley. An actual talented woman that deserve all the success she's getting:heart2:

Liam and Miley relationship is very publicized that helped the song go viral on tiktok, I dont doubt it. However Columbia has track record of record breaking streams of artists so whatever they are doing is definitely working

17 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

For a pop culture forum sometimes y’all sound so uneducated about it. These types of comeback are rare, but they have happened every few years with artists whose names are still on the GP’s mind. Miley is obviously one of those. She has cross-generational appeal for different projects and has successfully been embraced by audiences after a long sequence of right choices post-She’s Coming EP. Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Mariah, Tracy Chapman, Bruce Springsteen, just to name a few artists who rebounded from underperformances/flops to new popularity peaks with the right material and a nice image change. It’s not suspicious, it can happen if you are a pop icon. She just needed the right first single to hook people up. I was carefully skeptical but I’m glad was wrong, because shes one of the few pop girls actually passionate about music and with cool touchstones 

16 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Some of these cases:

Aretha - from 1983’s Get it Right (200k copies sold) to Whos Zoomin Who (her first platinum album, a #1 hit and two other top 20s)

Tina - from 1979’s Love Explosion (failed to chart, no hits and out of print) to 1984’s Private Dancer (5x Platinum, a #1 smash and three other hits)

Bruce - from 1982’s Nebraska (Platinum underperformance after a 5x platinum album) to 1984’s Born in the USA (17x Platinum, maybe the biggest repeak ever)

Tracy Chapman - from 1992’s Matter of the Heart (Gold, charted out of the top 50, no hits) to 1995’s New Beginning (5x Platinum, contained one of the biggest hits of the 90s)

Mariah - from Charmbracelet (platinum, a slow recovery from Glitter) to Mimi (7x Platinum, with the biggest hit from the 2000s) 

Cher - after a sequence of flops for her, her 1987 self-titled album went gold and brought her name back to music and then her 1989’s Heart of Stone (3x Platinum) smashed and became her biggest era til that date.

none of these people bought their success back. they just got it right with the GP

Not a single one of these artists’ comebacks just exploded out of the gate like this. 

Their albums and singles climbed the charts and then they came back. Miley is a completely different situation breaking records set by Adele and Taylor after a moderately successful era in comparison to them following huge eras and having bigger fan bases.

Her coming back isn’t the big surprise it’s the immediate success at this high level that people are surprised at, just like how we were all surprised when Olivia came out of nowhere and smashed with Driver’s License instead of climbing first like Britney and Gaga did.

2 hours ago, Distantconstellation said:

A couple of bitter aging gays on a music forum doesn't equal the public that's already been established. Demi can absolutely smash if she releases a good song and has the backing of a good music label like Columbia. All of you are out of touch with reality and the general public constantly proves that 

Demi has never even had a Top 5 hit :skull: 

Highly unlikely she ever comebacks like Miley who was also way bigger than her.  

2 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Not a single one of these artists’ comebacks just exploded out of the gate like this. 

Their albums and singles climbed the charts and then they came back. Miley is a completely different situation breaking records set by Adele and Taylor after a moderately successful era in comparison to them following huge eras and having bigger fan bases.

Her coming back isn’t the big surprise it’s the immediate success at this high level that people are surprised at, just like how we were all surprised when Olivia came out of nowhere and smashed with Driver’s License instead of climbing first like Britney and Gaga did.

They didnt come right of the gate because the way they consumed music back then used to be based on airplay and single/album sales, which means things take longer time to grow in airplay, produce the physical media, and generate media consumption. Uneducated again. The biggest social media this day, TikTok, is arguably music-based in its origins, unlike instagram, snapchat or Facebook. It incorporates music in a much more friendly way and maximizes reach and consumption. Music Consumption has changed a lot with it in short time, i’d say comparable to the impact Youtube first had. We’re in an era in which sharing has been further sped up, especially with virality. To have access to new music means to have it instantly, in any platform. Back then Billboard charts rarely had high debuts, now it happens often and with album tracks outdoing singles. This is why radio has been losing space in BB100 formula, because we consume music at a faster pace than radio can keep up. Miley’s comeback is just framed in contemporary consumption modes.

Cher was flopping harder than Miley when she had a music comeback in the 80s with a platinum album (her movie career was holding her celebrity status during most of the early to mid-80s). Mariah was flopping as much as Miley and her fall from her 90d status was arguably higher too. Plastic Hearts used to be a gold eligible record even before flowers dropped. That’s not flopping don’t matter how twisted this forum’s view of success is. You want people to be as famous as their latest era and that’s not how it goes with some A-List celebrities. Keep in mind I only mentioned Cher’s 80s comeback. Her 90s comeback literally had one of the biggest hits of that decade and broke as many records as Miley (and she was a +40 woman)

Edited by liquiddiamonds

19 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Some of these cases:

Are we sure Charmbracelet was platinum before 2005 though? :rip: 

7 minutes ago, doonerr said:

Are we sure Charmbracelet was platinum before 2005 though? :rip: 

It was platinum in january 2003 according to RIAA (I personally think that mostly from shipments). I used it as stepping stone for Mariah’s comeback from Glitter, though still an underperformance of sorts, especially singles-wise. She still grew to a new repeak anyways commercially with Emancipation, which was the whole point of the example. I think Miley’s comeback mimics more of a Cher route, but depending on the album’s performance and next singles she might be having her Mariah moment

Edited by liquiddiamonds

4 hours ago, Taemira said:

and you all had the nerve to claim BTS is a fraud

we can take a look at the comparison between filter and unfiltered streams between Flowers and Butter to understand why BTS is considered one

7 hours ago, Taemira said:

and you all had the nerve to claim BTS is a fraud

Those claims are supported by fact. :toofunny3:

17 hours ago, PopFan1996 said:

And the same goes to Miley after 2013. The girl was literally p-ooping and pee-ing in public and doing weird stuff:skull: and she was despised by the public way more than Demi.

So my point still stands: A good publicist, a good marketing team and a good label can make anything happen for these big celebrities.

Stop trying to make Demi happen, it'll never happen

Difference with her and Miley is that even tho Miley was hated, she was also still loved and has actually had multiple hits prior to when she really started letting loose

And whether people agree or not, music was and has always been a big part of Miley's life. She's way more musically gifted than Demi

I can’t listen to Bruno mars and that’s all I hear in this song. I want to like ‘flowers’ but I don’t. Give me ‘slide away’ any day 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.