Jacinda Ardern to step down as New Zealand Prime Minister

Robert

Given how Scholz was a massive downgrade for Germany after Merkel (and I'm not really a fan of her either), hard to see how New Zealand gets a better leader than Ardern. Her leadership during the Christchurch shooting was inspiring and not many would be able to fill those shoes.

Good luck, Kiwis.

Sad - but not surprising. Her duties have covered so many extreme events. Mosque shooting, White Island eruption and of course the covid-19 pandemic. She kept us kiwis safe above all else and for that I'll always thank her!

6 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Why?

She's tired - she doesn't have the energy to continue, according to her announcement. This is sad, I loved her - she was one of the good leaders in the world

This is very unexpected. I wonder why she’s stepping down. 

Maybe she wants to spend more time with family:michael: I will always love this interview with Colbert (plus Lorde makes a surprise cameo at the end) :bird:

How random, was it because she was keeping those useless lockdowns for too long?

The Darwinian anti-lockdown pundits on Twitter celebrating, of course. :grump: There was always a balance between the U.S. and China vis a vis economic stability with government support and a recognition of how pandemics work while not literally locking people in their homes from the outside to die in a house fire, and while she wasn't perfect, she did a damn better job than most, and not just because of NZ's isolation or population size. Not to mention on the vast topic of gun violence. Sure, I'd like to thank her as a progressive (albeit on most but not all issues) but idolatry of any politician is dangerous, imho. She certainly left her mark amidst brutal headwinds, and for that, I thank her, generally.

I was quite worried that she has resigned due to some brewing scandal or due to ill health, but it looks like it is neither, fortunately.

So she can go work for Blackrock. 

Aww. That's too bad. She seemed like she was very well liked by New Zealanders and on the world stage. :chick3:

It doesn't seem like she's resigning because of some scandal or controversy. While I will miss her, I respect her decision and wish her the best.

3 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

How random, was it because she was keeping those useless lockdowns for too long?

Lockdowns worked well in NZ. Next.

Maltese Falcon
3 hours ago, Bloodflowers. said:

probably

anyways ive always found her to be very irritating like shes just a very irritating person for no reason.. you walk into the room you see her and you just wanna leave cause you just know you're going to be irritated with her.

Maltese Falcon
1 minute ago, Maltese Falcon said:

probably

anyways ive always found her to be very irritating like shes just a very irritating person for no reason.. you walk into the room you see her and you just wanna leave cause you just know you're going to be irritated with her.

just figured out why she irritates me: she has the same vibe as AOC like i swear they could be sisters

28 minutes ago, slik said:

Who will lead NZ between Feb and Oct?

The Labour party elects a new leader on Sunday. That person will become PM.

3 hours ago, Maltese Falcon said:

just figured out why she irritates me: she has the same vibe as AOC like i swear they could be sisters

Probably just your misogyny 

Sad, but she's stepping down at the right time. She will be remembered as one of NZ's best ever PMs, rather than being defeated or having to resign when she becomes truly unpopular.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.